ADVERTISEMENT

Carter officially returning!

Dang, the dude in the OP youtube video is a mess. Sounds like he can barely get his words around whatever teeth replacement has occurred on his upper mouth area, and the veins that pop in his neck with a little bit of enthustiastic verbal inflection evoke questions about how many of those energy drinks have already traversed his gullet.

That's bashing.

As for Burroughs, I think most of this thread about him was pretty fair.

Some comments clearly bashed, but this notion that he is a wrestling entity hovering somewhere above reproach, or at least some form of objective analysis that attempts to unpack his behavior, his words & his career's place in the sport is absurd.

Still, there's plenty left to respect about the guy. In hopes that he'll continue an announcing career whenever he decides he's retired from the mat, I'll use his own words he delivered to describe David Taylor, when DT finally won his own Oly Gold in the 2021 Tokyo Olympics: "everything he's done for the last 10yrs has been very strategic. From tournament selection to nutrition he puts into his body to training methods. He does everything right, he's a man of integrity, a family man & he's an Olympic Gold Medalist"

Dang, the dude in the OP youtube video is a mess. Sounds like he can barely get his words around whatever teeth replacement has occurred on his upper mouth area, and the veins that pop in his neck with a little bit of enthustiastic verbal inflection evoke questions about how many of those energy drinks have already traversed his gullet.

That's bashing.

As for Burroughs, I think most of this thread about him was pretty fair.

Some comments clearly bashed, but this notion that he is a wrestling entity hovering somewhere above reproach, or at least some form of objective analysis that attempts to unpack his behavior, his words & his career's place in the sport is absurd.

Still, there's plenty left to respect about the guy. In hopes that he'll continue an announcing career whenever he decides he's retired from the mat, I'll use his own words he delivered to describe David Taylor, when DT finally won his own Oly Gold in the 2021 Tokyo Olympics: "everything he's done for the last 10yrs has been very strategic. From tournament selection to nutrition he puts into his body to training methods. He does everything right, he's a man of integrity, a family man & he's an Olympic Gold Medalist"
I'm 62 years old...do those energy drinks actually work? Kind of leery of trying a Red Bull

I remember back in the early 80's, you could go out in San Diego and it wasn't rare to bump into a lot of well known celebrities. I used to see a lot of guys who played for the Chargers out bar hopping and having a good time including Dan Fouts, Louie Kelcher and PSU's own John Cappelletti. Some friends of mine opened a popular bar/restaurant in Mission Valley, and I remember seeing Bill Walton and Ben Davidson at the bar. In La Jolla, my friend and I talked to a young and very pretty lady in an art gallery that I'm fairly certain was Kelly LeBrock. (we didn't ask her) And people would often see Gregory Peck in downtown La Jolla. Once around 1997, I was at the 24 Hr Fitness gym near the stadium on a Saturday morning and I ended up trading sets on one of the chest machines with Fred Dryer! I suspect those days are over now. Well known people have to remain incognito as much as possible.
My cousin has run into James Harrison (former Steeler LB) at the gym a few times. I guess it can still happen.

Not only did Bruce have an exemplary record as an athlete; he's served in multiple administrative and executive positions since the end of his career.

Burroughs has a long way to go to match what Baumgartner did FOR wrestling. Maybe he'll transition to coaching/admin/executive positions. Time will tell.
I think he will (would) be an excellent coach, just as long as he doesn't channel his inner Manning.

I don't follow golf at all, but when I used to work as an officer in La Jolla, Phil would come in often to Harry's Cafe. The regulars would leave him alone, so I'm sure he appreciated that. Harry's son, Harry Jr., and Phil grew up golfing together, and Harry Jr. golfed in college at Oklahoma State. I was friends with Harry Sr. and when I worked nights I would drop by when Harry would get to the cafe around 0500 and we would chat over coffee. Fun fact; as a boy Harry was a batboy for the Yankees. Here is a photo with Phil and Harry Jr. from when they were young bucks. Harry Jr. is to the left of Phil. This photo is on the wall at Harry's Cafe.

What a cool story. Thanks for sharing that.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
I remember back in the early 80's, you could go out in San Diego and it wasn't rare to bump into a lot of well known celebrities. I used to see a lot of guys who played for the Chargers out bar hopping and having a good time including Dan Fouts, Louie Kelcher and PSU's own John Cappelletti. Some friends of mine opened a popular bar/restaurant in Mission Valley, and I remember seeing Bill Walton and Ben Davidson at the bar. In La Jolla, my friend and I talked to a young and very pretty lady in an art gallery that I'm fairly certain was Kelly LeBrock. (we didn't ask her) And people would often see Gregory Peck in downtown La Jolla. Once around 1997, I was at the 24 Hr Fitness gym near the stadium on a Saturday morning and I ended up trading sets on one of the chest machines with Fred Dryer! I suspect those days are over now. Well known people have to remain incognito as much as possible.
A couple years ago I pulled alongside Bill Walton while waiting at a red light. He was riding his bicycle. He is an avid cyclist.I also saw Drew Brees one day at a hotel in Carmel Valley not long after he was Super Bowl MVP. I would never think of going up to a celebrity and bothering them for an autograph, etc.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I pulled alongside Bill Walton while waiting at a red light. He was riding his bicycle. He is an avid cyclist.I also saw Drew Brees one day at a hotel in Carmel Valley not long after he was Super Bowl MVP. I would never think of going up to a celebrity and bothering them for an autograph, etc.
I’m the same way. Just because someone is a celebrity doesn’t mean they don’t have any right to privacy or some reasonable personal space. I saw a guy actually chase Reggie Jackson out of a bar one time. He wanted his autograph and wouldn’t leave him alone until Reggie got fed up and walked out. I had to give him credit for keeping his cool.

BTW, that happened when the Padres made it to the World Series in the late 80s. Lots of MLB hall of famers in town that week.

Reactions: Ski
I saw Robert Duvall come out of the bathroom at Jose Andres' Jaleo in DC years ago.

Then at Nobu at Atlantis, I took a piss two urinals over from Sean Connery doing the same thing.

Psalmguy, what do I gotta do to get my celebrity spots somewhere other than the freakin pisser?

I'm 62 years old...do those energy drinks actually work? Kind of leery of trying a Red Bull
If you want a super energy boost, I know of something that does work that is totally legal and probably stronger than street meth or whatever is the latest craze. I tried it once about 30 years ago when I was a lot younger and my heart was probably way more resilient. Never again - I felt like I was going to go through the roof. And no, I won't post what it is because it's very likely to give the wrong person cardiac arrest.

I flew into Houston for business on a Sunday in 2003 and stayed in your average holiday inn. I checked in and headed to the elevator, and two kids (looked like college kids at most if not younger) stepped in. They were both outfitted in golf attire including golf caps, and looked a little sunburned. I had at least 6-10 inches on them and they really did just look like little kids.

I said something like the weather looks nice did you guys play a little golf today? They said yes. I said how did it go, did you have fun? They said yes with more than just a little chuckle as they walked out on to their floor.

I got to my room, then it hit me. The Tour championship was in Houston that weekend and the little kid in the elevator was Chad Campbell, who that day became $1 million richer after winning the tournament.

I think they might have been laughing at what a fool I am. I went down to the bar later and there were several players there enjoying a beer, but none that notable.

Reactions: PD4thespawn and Ski
About 20 years ago, I met MC Hammer.

Correction: The Rev MC Hammer. He's an ordained minister and held church services in San Jose. I was in Silicon Valley anyway, zero chance of missing that.

It was a 2-hr service: 1 hr of live gospel rap which was fun, followed by an hour of Northern California weirdo testimonials which was what you'd expect.

Then a brief meet-and-greet. We chatted for a few minutes, just regular guy stuff, no mention of his more famous career. Nice guy and seemed authentic.

Reactions: jtothemfp
If you want a super energy boost, I know of something that does work that is totally legal and probably stronger than street meth or whatever is the latest craze. I tried it once about 30 years ago when I was a lot younger and my heart was probably way more resilient. Never again - I felt like I was going to go through the roof. And no, I won't post what it is because it's very likely to give the wrong person cardiac arrest.
giphy.gif

That was George Michael. Not Robert Duvall.
Lol. I was joking about the restaurant. Jaleo did a full renovation around 10 years ago, and removed part of the wall separating the men's and women's restrooms for God knows what reason. It's now possible to see feet and shins in the other side, from under the sinks.

Even more disturbing: the bathroom floor is now a picture mural of shiny happy people looking up at you while you're relieving yourself.

Probably a lot of sangria was consumed during design day.

Lol. I was joking about the restaurant. Jaleo did a full renovation around 10 years ago, and removed part of the wall separating the men's and women's restrooms for God knows what reason. It's now possible to see feet and shins in the other side, from under the sinks.

Even more disturbing: the bathroom floor is now a picture mural of shiny happy people looking up at you while you're relieving yourself.

Probably a lot of sangria was consumed during design day.
There is the bar in Koln where you pee against 2-way glass with water cascading down. The other side is the dance floor. Germans...i love them but...

I saw Robert Duvall come out of the bathroom at Jose Andres' Jaleo in DC years ago.

Then at Nobu at Atlantis, I took a piss two urinals over from Sean Connery doing the same thing.

Psalmguy, what do I gotta do to get my celebrity spots somewhere other than the freakin pisser?
Don't ever change my friend. You rock

Reactions: jtothemfp
There is the bar in Koln where you pee against 2-way glass with water cascading down. The other side is the dance floor. Germans...i love them but...
There is a restaurant in Louisville KY that has one way glass with water running down at the men’s urinals. Someone walking by just sees smoked glass with water running down. From the pisser you are looking out at people walking by in the hall. Weird….

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
My biggest celebrity encounter was back in the late 80's. There is a popular bar/restaurant named Las Brisas that is right on some cliffs overlooking the ocean in Laguna Beach and sometimes we would drive up there from San Diego on Sunday afternoons to enjoy the scenery. (the indoor scenery, not the ocean. ) ;) One Sunday, I saw a pretty good sized black guy standing in the corner and I first thought he was the bouncer. I told the bartender that their bouncer looked like OJ Simpson and the bartender told me that it was OJ Simpson. We actually spent some time talking to him and drinking a few beers in the process. He came across as a reasonably friendly guy. Mind you, this was several years before all the promotional business started for Buck Knives.

I think the "level" of fame might have something to do with it. For instance, the lower level celebs seem to be more prone to arrogance and pretensions, while the higher level people seem better adjusted and far more kind and sincere. I met the figure skater Kristy Yamaguchi, and she was more conceded and arrogant than a wealthy tiger mom snob in Malibu. By contrast, I met the late Patrick Swayze, at a small airport when he was piloting a plane, and he was so cool and laid back. We hung out for a good hour or two shared some laughs and he told me some funny things about his movies.

I think the "level" of fame might have something to do with it. For instance, the lower level celebs seem to be more prone to arrogance and pretensions, while the higher level people seem better adjusted and far more kind and sincere. I met the figure skater Kristy Yamaguchi, and she was more conceded and arrogant than a wealthy tiger mom snob in Malibu. By contrast, I met the late Patrick Swayze, at a small airport when he was piloting a plane, and he was so cool and laid back. We hung out for a good hour or two shared some laughs and he told me some funny things about his movies.
Patrick Swayze - what a sad loss. Loved his movies, especially Point Break.

Working out in a health club in Dallas in the early 80's - jumped into a big whirlpool and watched Namath get in the sauana, move to the cold bath, and then jump in the whirlpool (and then repeat...). He was cool - most likely working a hangover. He was in Dallas when he was trying his hand at acting. He was cool and we didn't bother him but he did say 'what's up fellows?''

Reactions: danoftw
Funny celeb story. It was early 90's 1991-1992. A friend of mine was in Jackson Hole, WY. We actually live close to there. He was roping at the Wednesday and Saturday night rodeo they hold in Jackson to bilk tourists out of a few bucks. Afterwards he had stopped in that the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar on the square. One old boy introduces him to this cute lady named Michelle. This friend of mine dances with her a few times talks to her at the bar then leaves. Next day the old boy asks if he knows who Michelle is? He says ya, she is the cute girl you introduced me to that I danced with a few times and shared a beer. The old boy says no don't you know that is Michelle Pfeiffer? My friend telling us the story says, "Who the hell is Michelle Pfeiffer?"

I work as a structural engineer. We have done remodels on homes of several supposed celebrities over the years. Some are great to work with. Some are complete jerks. I just treat them like my neighbor and ignore anything beyond that. NDA prevent naming names.

Personally, I find celebrities and their lives boring. Asking random people for autographs and pictures seems to be the more logical way to get better stories.

• Haha
Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Living in Manhattan from 1978-1986 I had a lot. Some of my favorites were Dandy Don Meredith and Frank Gifford walking up to say hi when I was walking our dog Ginger on Broadway (on the west side between 66th and 67th Streets) - because they wanted to say hi to Ginger, who was a good looking mixed breed. They spent several minutes saying hi and chatting. Paul Simon and I spent a while (would have felt like longer, but I was shooting the breeze with one of my favorite musicians) waiting for our women outside the ladies room at the Carnegie Hall Cinema one Saturday night. I also helped legendary jazz musician Dexter Gordon cross Broadway and Columbus Avenue at 65th Street early one morning on my way back to the rock club Hurrah in the early 1980s. I was seriously concerned for his well being. We made it safely.

Then there was that time I wound up standing on a bench at a club tournament at my alma mater in PA with Cael for a couple hours.

Navin Johnson is somebody, and damn it, he’s going to be somebody. He’s moving up in the world and not looking back.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I’ve mentioned a few times that my brother started working at Microsoft when they were still a small company. So yes, he does know billg personally. He told me about sitting in meetings with Gates ranting and raving like a scene out of Downfall. He would sit through it and afterwards pull up a copy of his portfolio and look at the current value. Then he would say to himself, “Yeah, that was worth it.”

Reactions: PD4thespawn
All this celebrity talk reminded me. Royce Alger introduced himself to my wife and I two Fridays ago at the local whiskey. 😄

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT