ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar

manmythlegend1

Jan 5, 2014
Please excuse my ignorance about Cassar but I was bored at work and writing down future PSU lineups and comparing them with Iowa, tOSU, OSU lineups. Is Cassar definitely enrolling this year at PSU? When/If he does is he a Freshman who could still Redshirt at some point? Thanks in advance

Everyone seems pretty confident that he will be in the lineup. Hoping we see him at Junior World Team Trials this weekend.

Thanks, I just saw Diceman has him listed as a sophomore on his spreadsheet for PSU eligibility. Was he previously enrolled at the school then?

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong on something. Cassar's first year 2014-25 was a RS year. His college clock started ticking then. Last year (here's the part I"m not sure about--I thought I heard he didn't enroll at PSU last year, taking a year off because of his injury). At any rate, last year counted as his second year of eligibility (whether enrolled or not). So, he's a RS SO this coming year. Any corrections on that?

Everyone seems pretty confident that he will be in the lineup. Hoping we see him at Junior World Team Trials this weekend.
If Cassar is at 197 and Rasheed at 184, we will have 6 sophomores in the starting lineup. The others will be Cortez, Nolf, Nickal and Nevills. That means those 6 will run out of eligibility at the same time. 2019-2020 could be an interesting year!

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong on something. Cassar's first year 2014-25 was a RS year. His college clock started ticking then. Last year (here's the part I"m not sure about--I thought I heard he didn't enroll at PSU last year, taking a year off because of his injury). At any rate, last year counted as his second year of eligibility (whether enrolled or not). So, he's a RS SO this coming year. Any corrections on that?
You're correct.

That is correct. He lost a year of eligibility despite not being enrolled last year (clock continues to tick regardless), so he'll have three years left beginning this fall.

That is correct. He lost a year of eligibility despite not being enrolled last year (clock continues to tick regardless), so he'll have three years left beginning this fall.

Next question I have is how good do you guys think he'll be this year? I'm Not sure what to expect . TIA

If Cassar is at 197 and Rasheed at 184, we will have 6 sophomores in the starting lineup. The others will be Cortez, Nolf, Nickal and Nevills. That means those 6 will run out of eligibility at the same time. 2019-2020 could be an interesting year!
True, but Suriano, Nick Lee, Joe Lee, Manville, Cenzo, Hall and AJ Nevills will be around. The biggest challenges will be replacing the lightweights IMHO.

Next question I have is how good do you guys think he'll be this year? I'm Not sure what to expect . TIA

That's a good question. I tried to look up Cassar's RS record, but since he wasn't enrolled this past year at PSU, he's not on the PSU roster. When I looked up old records, he's not listed (since he's not graduated). What I recall of his RS record was that it was decent but nothing exceptional. After his RS year he really lit it up in freestyle, qualifying for the Jr World Championships where he got hurt. So he looks very promising, but his success was in freestyle, which doesn't always perfectly correlate with folkstyle success. I did find one interesting fact about Cassar. He won the NJ state title as an undefeated Sr, having never qualified for the state tourney before that. He's only the 4th guy in NJ history to win a state title after never qualifying before for states. So, he may be a "late bloomer"--a relative term to be sure!

Reactions: matter7172
Came here to post about Cassar. He, along with Nolf, is listed on the registered list for UWW JR's this weekend.

What a great weekend for PSU wrestling. N. Lee, Hall, Joseph, Nolf, Bo, Cassar.

That's a good question. I tried to look up Cassar's RS record, but since he wasn't enrolled this past year at PSU, he's not on the PSU roster. When I looked up old records, he's not listed (since he's not graduated). What I recall of his RS record was that it was decent but nothing exceptional. After his RS year he really lit it up in freestyle, qualifying for the Jr World Championships where he got hurt. So he looks very promising, but his success was in freestyle, which doesn't always perfectly correlate with folkstyle success. I did find one interesting fact about Cassar. He won the NJ state title as an undefeated Sr, having never qualified for the state tourney before that. He's only the 4th guy in NJ history to win a state title after never qualifying before for states. So, he may be a "late bloomer"--a relative term to be sure!

He was 14-8 from what I can tell as a RS. I am not sure "lit it up in freestyle" is the exact phrase I would use. He beat Seely three times, Marcus Harrington, and pinned Derek White. White was probably his best win, but Seely just got done going 9-7 as a true freshman for Northern Colorado.

This isn't to bad mouth Anthony by any means, the jury is still out at this point.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
He did make the quarterfinals at World's and was winning until his shoulder gave out. Also, Weigel was in at least one of the brackets that he won (though they never wrestled).

Below are his shirt year matches:

11/9/2014 – Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open
dec Tyler Greene (Bucknell) 9-4
dec Thomas Murray (Lehigh) 8-2
L James Fox (Harvard) 9-4
dec Ben Honis (Cornell) 8-7
L Joe Giaramita (SUNY-Cortland) 7-5 SV

11/16/2014 – East Stroudsburg Open
dec Tyler Richardson (East Stroudsburg) 13-6
L Tristan Sponseller (Lock Haven) 10-4
dec Carson Stack (Penn) 9-4
TF Ernest Tessein (Kutztown) 16-1
TF Bryson Begley (West Virginia) 16-1
L Frank Mattiace (Penn) 6-0

12/7/2014 – Nittany Lion Open
WBF Jake Temple (Seton Hill) 1:03
dec Alen Turcinhodzic (Pitt) 10-4
dec Dustin Conti (Clarion) 6-1
MD Garrett Wesneski (Maryland) 11-3
dec Caleb Wallace (Binghamton) 5-2
L David Reck (Virginia Tech) 4-3
W Steve Congenie (Cornell) MFF
L David Reck (Virginia Tech) 5-1

2/7/2015 – Edinboro Open
TF Thomas Bennett (American) (score not available)
dec Jimmy Szep (Central Michigan) 8-7 SV
L MD Jacob Berkowitz (Northwestern) 11-3
L Kyle Conel (Kent State) 13-6

3/1/2015 – National Collegiate Open
dec Rory Bonner (Bucknell) 2-0
(event terminated for weather)

Thanks, Although I hope for the best for young Caasar, these results don't seem to mesh with Spyker's exact words that Cassar was giving Morgan McIntosh "all he wanted and more. " Lol, color me shocked those thoughts were just a bit off.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
If you saw him wrestle early in his RS year, he looked like about a 174 on the mat. His frame was lean and he was giving up a lot of weight/muscle. But the time summer rolled around, his frame had already filled in a lot. I personally think his upward trajectory since the fall of 2014 has continued from the one it was on in high school. He could be a lot better than he was two years ago at this point. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Thanks, Although I hope for the best for young Caasar, these results don't seem to mesh with Spyker's exact words that Cassar was giving Morgan McIntosh "all he wanted and more. " Lol, color me shocked those thoughts were just a bit off.
I have no idea what the motivation is behind the internet character Spyker, so I also do not know if occasionally he is just being cheerleader or if he actually knows anything. However, his reference to Anthony giving Morgan everything Morgan could deal with was about this spring when Cassar was training with the NLWC.

I agree his RS results do not mesh with the picture of someone sticking with Morgan, but his RS results don't really mesh with his post-season freestyle results last year either.

Reactions: JBott
I'll buy in a little bit, but not all the way in.

What we knew from the JR World trials: he has a really good blast double. It's very difficult to stop when he unleashes it. However, the coaches did need to occasionally remind him to trust his offense.

What we don't know is how he'll be on the mat -- in either position. That could be the difference between national-level freestyle results vs. true freshman-level folk results.

What we also don't know is how well he recovered from his shoulder injury. We'll get a better idea of that from the upcoming tourney.

Reactions: lionlover
If you saw him wrestle early in his RS year, he looked like about a 174 on the mat. His frame was lean and he was giving up a lot of weight/muscle. But the time summer rolled around, his frame had already filled in a lot. I personally think his upward trajectory since the fall of 2014 has continued from the one it was on in high school. He could be a lot better than he was two years ago at this point. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Yeah, his RS year he looked a lot like he did in HS, where it was hard to believe he was 197. I can't imagine he cut anything to hold that weight anyway. He's significantly bigger now, and has been for at least the last year; see footage of him training with Kyle Snyder from last June. Tough to know how the extra pounds will translate to the mat this coming year, but I think there's at least reason for optimism. His freestyle success adds to the optimism but FS and folk can be apples and oranges.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
He was 14-8 from what I can tell as a RS. I am not sure "lit it up in freestyle" is the exact phrase I would use. He beat Seely three times, Marcus Harrington, and pinned Derek White. White was probably his best win, but Seely just got done going 9-7 as a true freshman for Northern Colorado.

This isn't to bad mouth Anthony by any means, the jury is still out at this point.

Jury is out, I agree. As someone else posted, he appears to be a late bloomer who made strides and caught the attention of the some national coaches (along with the Flo guys) last summer in Freestyle. He's in a good room.
Yeah, his RS year he looked a lot like he did in HS, where it was hard to believe he was 197. I can't imagine he cut anything to hold that weight anyway. He's significantly bigger now, and has been for at least the last year; see footage of him training with Kyle Snyder from last June. Tough to know how the extra pounds will translate to the mat this coming year, but I think there's at least reason for optimism. His freestyle success adds to the optimism but FS and folk can be apples and oranges.

Some more footage with Valencia, Courts and Visconti. Certainly looks fit and athletic.

Reactions: tikk10
Jury is out, I agree. As someone else posted, he appears to be a late bloomer who made strides and caught the attention of the some national coaches (along with the Flo guys) last summer in Freestyle. He's in a good room.

Some more footage with Valencia, Courts and Visconti. Certainly looks fit and athletic.
After watching both videos, I think we will be fine if the shoulder is ok. Since AC is going this weekend, it must be pretty good. Time will tell.

After watching both videos, I think we will be fine if the shoulder is ok. Since AC is going this weekend, it must be pretty good. Time will tell.

This all leads me to believe 197 is our greatest unknown by far headed into next year, no suprise. My confidence picks from greatest to least in order below. Please list yours

1. 149
2. 157
3. 174
4. 165
5. 133
6. 184
7. 125
8. 285
9. 141
10. 197

I hope this creates interesting discussion of our confidence in particular weights. I'm probably higher on Nevills and Suriano than most, but just IMHO again.

This all leads me to believe 197 is our greatest unknown by far headed into next year, no suprise. My confidence picks from greatest to least in order below. Please list yours

1. 149
2. 157
3. 174
4. 165
5. 133
6. 184
7. 125
8. 285
9. 141
10. 197

I hope this creates interesting discussion of our confidence in particular weights. I'm probably higher on Nevills and Suriano than most, but just IMHO again.
How is that ranked? Points at nationals? Knowing who mans the weight?

I would put AC ahead of ...... or in the same neighborhood as 285, 184 and 141, but that is just my opinion...... Given the format provided.

I tend to agree with JSchrantz, Cassar probably has the most to prove in folk heading into the season. The fact he is 10th despite making a world team does speak volumes about the depth this team has for 16-17.

Didn't listen to FRL yet but on FOS a poster is saying it was brought up that NN could be at the junior trials this weekend.

Would be good to see if spykers lifting has sculpted his body yet.

I would put AC ahead of ...... or in the same neighborhood as 285, 184 and 141, but that is just my opinion...... Given the format provided.
Preseason I'd place 141 and 184 a step above 197. At the very least Jimmy and Mouse wrestle the same as last year. This means we're competitive and will have qualifiers at both weights. Of course we could potentially do a lot better at those weights too.

At this point I would say 197 is a little more uncertain.

He hasn't left the NLWC. So for all intents and purposes, he's still a nittany lion.

Didn't listen to FRL yet but on FOS a poster is saying it was brought up that NN could be at the junior trials this weekend.

Would be good to see if spykers lifting has sculpted his body yet.

Per Flo Nevills will not be wrestling in the junior team trials.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT