ADVERTISEMENT

Conundrum

Connorpozlee

Aug 29, 2013
My oldest daughter is away at college in her first semester. This weekend is family weekend, with family activities planned all through the day and early evening on Saturday. I initially circled this Saturday on the calendar as a date to look forward to seeing her at college. We have plans to go out to eat after the activities before driving home. I’m guessing we are probably looking at 9/9:30 before we are making the hour+ drive home.
My question is this: How do I watch the game? Have it playing on my phone and sneak peaks at it? Just wait until I get home and watch the DVRed version while hoping (realistically, beyond all hope) that I don’t hear the score beforehand?
Help me.

My oldest daughter is away at college in her first semester. This weekend is family weekend, with family activities planned all through the day and early evening on Saturday. I initially circled this Saturday on the calendar as a date to look forward to seeing her at college. We have plans to go out to eat after the activities before driving home. I’m guessing we are probably looking at 9/9:30 before we are making the hour+ drive home.
My question is this: How do I watch the game? Have it playing on my phone and sneak peaks at it? Just wait until I get home and watch the DVRed version while hoping (realistically, beyond all hope) that I don’t hear the score beforehand?
Help me.

I'd wait, watch on DVR - might be able to catch up live depending on how things go.

Help me.
how do you know she wouldnt rather sit and watch the game with you!!! The heck with dinner, cant we just go to the sports bar, Dad??

You should be commended for being a father and husband first. And a sports fan second. The fact that your not wavering on the family time is impressive for a game of this nature. I have worked countless 80 hour weeks. I miss a lot of the penn state games due to my heavy work load. I dvr them. But have a hard time watching them the whole way through. Knowing what happens via highlights and such. But I would dvr it and then decide that night. If you can see it at a restaurant or radio. Or try and wait but I’m sure that’s not going to be a option haha.

If she has a significant other, slide that person $100 to take your daughter out for the evening.

"Aw shucks honey, looks like she had other plans. Well lookie here, here is the Penn State game. I am gonna watch the game and wait for daughter to come back."

No significant other. She is really looking forward to seeing us at her school.

Help me.
Watch on the DVR when you get home... if you can avoid hearing the score and plan on being home 9 ish. With all the commercial breaks and halftime, you'll be able to fast forward through all junk and still catch the 4th quarter live. Good Luck.

WE ARE!

**edit** I believe I misunderstood. It appears it will be 9ish until your hour drive home. That changes things. Good Luck Sir.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
The problem with that is avoiding the score throughout the evening. If I know they have lost I will come home and just erase it. Can’t re-watch a loss.

I think you just make a not-so-subtle request to do dinner somewhere where the game will be on. If she truly loves you, she'll do her best to accommodate such a modest request for dear ol' dad. Especially if you're footing the bill for her college education :)

You can then listen to the second half on the way home.

Good luck!

Help me.
Happens to me a lot. DVR it and don't look at your phone or TV. Enjoy the family and the game.

Listen if all goes well with your daughter you will enjoy these four years as much as she will. When my son was at college [31 now] the couple times a year we went to visit him were some of the best memories ever.
They are growing up, experiencing being an adult for the first time, and still enjoy being with parents on visits. Don't miss it because it will go by so fast you won't believe it.
All it takes is a little self discipline and you can watch the game w/o knowing the results.

The fact that you didn't have this date reserved a year ago is one indicator. Another one is the fact that you're asking the question here instead of just scheming to watch the game in the middle of family weekend. And that speaks highly of you.

Just DVR it and ask ask everybody to try not to tell you what happens, and then when you get home that night, watch the game. If you do find out the outcome and it's the wrong outcome, you've saved yourself 3 hours of pain and suffering. And if the outcome is positive, you can relax and completely enjoy watching knowing the good guys prevail.

Help me.

Help me.

Parents weekends at colleges are a joke ...seriously they get you on campus tell you how great life is ... you feel your kid is being taken care of so when the bills go up you just move along.

I'm sure you love your daughter more than anything but you made the wrong decision. Evident by the fact that why you are making it a priority you are asking for advice on the sidecar. Can visit next week... with out the crowded campus and restaurants...

My parents weekend was leaving college and going to see my parents and taking my college friends (from an ACC school) and tailgating in the Penn State lots. Way more fun

Edit.
Oh my first parents weekend was 2005. PSU was playing the gophers. My roommates still talk about that weekend. Not what we missed at school

We shared a house together for 18 years. She does not want to watch the Penn State game with her dad.

I realize you can't go back in time, but you should have trained her better.

Neither of my two sons attended PSU, and both are now in grad school, so to speak. But they both love to watch PSU with their Pappy.....

Reactions: step.eng69
Help me.
How do you watch the game? You know the answer and you appear to be ready to do the right thing. Put family first. DVR. You won't regret it.

Reactions: PSU Mike
I had the same dilemma when my oldest daughter went off to college. Parents weekend her first semester was the Ohio State game. I had it taped and watched it later. Daughters and wives view these kind of events as very important and if you are not sensitive to that fact you will hear about it for the rest of your life. Enjoy the day and the evening and then watch the game when you can even if we lose.

Parents weekends at colleges are a joke ...seriously they get you on campus tell you how great life is ... you feel your kid is being taken care of so when the bills go up you just move along.

I'm sure you love your daughter more than anything but you made the wrong decision. Evident by the fact that why you are making it a priority you are asking for advice on the sidecar. Can visit next week... with out the crowded campus and restaurants...

My parents weekend was leaving college and going to see my parents and taking my college friends (from an ACC school) and tailgating in the Penn State lots. Way more fun

Edit.
Oh my first parents weekend was 2005. PSU was playing the gophers. My roommates still talk about that weekend. Not what we missed at school

The problem with your response is that my daughter is looking forward to us coming up there. Personally, my feelings run along your lines. I enjoyed being away. I didn’t really want my parents visiting .

I realize you can't go back in time, but you should have trained her better.

Neither of my two sons attended PSU, and both are now in grad school, so to speak. But they both love to watch PSU with their Pappy.....

Can’t force things. She certainly had ample opportunities to join me in my fandom. I suppose my outbursts while watching games may have turned her away.

Who are you expecting to visit you in the hospice some day, your daughter or Penn State football?

This one has already agreed to take care of me in my old age. I guess I shouldn’t give her reason to back out.
Great point.

This is simple. Go to Bar/Restaurant that has decent food and will have the game on TV. Do NOT spend the entire time looking at the TV. When dinner is over and she's ready to part give her a kiss and order a beer. Your wife could easily walk her back to the dorm and meet you back at the bar. It's a win-win. If need be, get a hotel room for the night.

Reactions: step.eng69
DVR, don't turn on the radio and stay away from the internet.

Under no circumstances wear anything that identifies you as a PSU fan. If you do you will learn the score.

If she has a significant other, slide that person $100 to take your daughter out for the evening.

"Aw shucks honey, looks like she had other plans. Well lookie here, here is the Penn State game. I am gonna watch the game and wait for daughter to come back."
I nominate this as one of your all time best signature pictures.

Help me.
As the Soup Nazi would say: No help for you! Should've sent your daughter to Penn State, then you wouldn't have this problem.

Help me.
DVR it and listen to it on the radio on the way home unless you're one of those who can't watch if they already know the score.

The problem with your response is that my daughter is looking forward to us coming up there. Personally, my feelings run along your lines. I enjoyed being away. I didn’t really want my parents visiting .

Well that's a wrench in the thought process.
But nothing paying for a week in the carrabean for her and two friends can't fix!

This one has already agreed to take care of me in my old age. I guess I shouldn’t give her reason to back out.
Great point.

I always joke my parents are going in a home in state college so I can pick them up on the way and just sit them at a tailgate for the day with a headset radio

Congratulations on family priority. It hurts to miss s game. I remember missing non family obligations and feeling guilty. Even worse, the lions lost those games. Lou Holtz said it best, “Do the right thing”.

And here I am at my youngest two daughters’ soccer game before heading up to my oldest daughter’s college. I’m in a really irritable pre-big game mood. Spending time with the family is not so great if I’m in a pissy mood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT