ADVERTISEMENT

David Jones is at it again

Jones talks a bit about his column CJF and USC in the first few minutes.
Jones still sees the college football landscape as it was in his youth - meatchicken and tosu dominate the Midwest, then head on out west to get smacked around by USC. This is why he never took Penn State - his own beat - seriously. He sees us as a blip on the radar that cut our teeth on the weak eastern football circuit, and not on par with those bigger dogs from yesteryear, even when we were at our highest peak.

USC is absolutely one of the blue bloods of the sport, but probably in part because of all of the “big show” needs that their base requires, they always seem to knock themselves off of their pedestal because they choose big name style over X’s & O’s substance, only to complete the viscous cycle of having to keep rebuilding.

Penn State will never be the biggest fish in its conference…the powers that be simply won’t allow it. That said, PS will likely not be the roller coaster ride that USC is. If you’re a coach that thrives on the highs, but doesn’t mind being dumped after even a modest low, then SC is for you. Otherwise, stick with a good thing if you have it.

Reactions: odshowtime
I hate giving this guy clicks, but this is unbeleivable, and needs to be noticed.

It's not the fact he is suggesting that going to USC would be good for Franklin. He goes seven steps further, and when mentioning Hall of Fame college coaches that weren't all about football, but had a personality, tried to relate with the players, and were "witty", he mentioned Bowden and Frye, but refused to mention Paterno.
There is no other local paper in the country that would intentionally write this about the home team. This is beyond ridiculous.
Ever been to Southern California? I was there 30-40 tines in the 1990s. It was a shit hole then and 100 tines worse now. Anyone who thinks SC is an upgrade is unbalanced. Even a salary increase would be overcome by much higher expenses.
Would you want to raise your kids in that madness? David Jones does this to get clicks. Have not read Penn Live since they startd to charge for his trash.

Ever been to Southern California? I was there 30-40 tines in the 1990s. It was a shit hole then and 100 tines worse now. Anyone who thinks SC is an upgrade is unbalanced. Even a salary increase would be overcome by much higher expenses.
Would you want to raise your kids in that madness? David Jones does this to get clicks. Have not read Penn Live since they startd to charge for his trash.

C'mon. Parts of SoCal are the most beautiful in the country. I mean, if you judged a state based on some of the bad parts no one would ever go to Florida. Ever.

Come on Mary, quit buggin'. Since you're a proclaimed follower of Christ you can at least use shizholian when describing Florida, oops I mean SoCal.

Reactions: Nittany_93
Ever been to parts of Pennsylvania? It's scary how poorly some people live. And not just the urban environment. Yet, some people insist on bringing their kids up in that horrific environment.

Reactions: Nittany_93
C'mon. Parts of SoCal are the most beautiful in the country. I mean, if you judged a state based on some of the bad parts no one would ever go to Florida. Ever.
I get your point, but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. This year's family vacation started in Bozeman, MT and ended in San Diego traveling through my wife's college stomping grounds in Claremont. I'd rate what I saw in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and, on an previous trip, Alaska, over the best of SoCal. I also spent a lot of time in LA on business and never cared for it; SD is a different story. That's me.

When people start talking about factors other than football that may draw or repel Franklin from USC and why he would/wouldn't go there, they're grafting their own tastes and values on to him. PSU and USC are as different as LA and State College, and I haven't the slightest idea which would be preferable to him.

Ever been to parts of Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, NY, and every other state? It's scary how poorly some people live. And not just the urban environment. Yet, some people insist on bringing their kids up in that horrific environment.
FIFY

totally agree. And, I get it, if you are making $250k per year. But if you can command $8m per year, you'll find a nice place to live in Pacific Palisades or Pasadena. What is the old rule of thumb: 2.5 x your annual salary? Here is a nice 6,700 sq ft house for just under $5,000,000

I get your point, but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. This year's family vacation started in Bozeman, MT and ended in San Diego traveling through my wife's college stomping grounds in Claremont. I'd rate what I saw in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and, on an previous trip, Alaska, over the best of SoCal. I also spent a lot of time in LA on business and never cared for it; SD is a different story. That's me.

When people start talking about factors other than football that may draw or repel Franklin from USC and why he would/wouldn't go there, they're grafting their own tastes and values on to him. PSU and USC are as different as LA and State College, and I haven't the slightest idea which would be preferable to him.
And no one else would either. But that does not stop them from assuming they do.

I think you also have to factor in opportunities for the kids. Of course, if you want to move to Bozeman you are going to have to figure out how to make money (if not retired). In LA, his kids would have so many opportunities for education, entertainment, importing, and its a gateway to the pacific rim so international finance and law are huge opportunities for the future. Or, you just go for five years, make $50m, pull the ripcord, and buy that $5m place in Bozeman at age 50.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Kinda' overlooked that Franklin would have to take a pay cut to take the job. Yeah, I know, all Mike Bohn has to do is snap his fingers and someone will appear with an open checkbook. Is Mossimo out of prison yet?

Maybe the best strategy regarding Jones is to just put him on “ignore “. He probably checks in here and sees a thread about his “reporting” and believes he is accomplishing his agenda……..

Reactions: Ski and odshowtime
I hate giving this guy clicks, but this is unbeleivable, and needs to be noticed.

It's not the fact he is suggesting that going to USC would be good for Franklin. He goes seven steps further, and when mentioning Hall of Fame college coaches that weren't all about football, but had a personality, tried to relate with the players, and were "witty", he mentioned Bowden and Frye, but refused to mention Paterno.
There is no other local paper in the country that would intentionally write this about the home team. This is beyond ridiculous.
He is wrong again. As much as he wants it to happen, it’s not going to happen.

I’m sure Franklin is just loving having to calm fears of 2022 class this week while trying to get ready for Auburn. 🤦‍♂️

I think you also have to factor in opportunities for the kids. Of course, if you want to move to Bozeman you are going to have to figure out how to make money (if not retired). In LA, his kids would have so many opportunities for education, entertainment, importing, and its a gateway to the pacific rim so international finance and law are huge opportunities for the future. Or, you just go for five years, make $50m, pull the ripcord, and buy that $5m place in Bozeman at age 50.
Franklin's kids are going to have great opportunities no matter where dad coaches. I'm not particularly familiar with schools in State College area, one would think that any place with a major university is going to have quality schools or at least excellent private schools. It's not like they have limited financial resources. They will be able to go to any university their grades will earn them acceptance, and from there the opportunities will be the ones they make for themselves.

There was a time when where you grew up and went to school played a major factor in your opportunities. In an era where moving is anything but unusual and opportunities for quality education can be found anywhere in the country, I don't see that being the case anymore.

As for Bozeman, the area is beautiful, but I couldn't handle the winters. After 34 years in the DC suburbs, I couldn't go back to small town living, either. As I said before, that's me.

Franklin's kids are going to have great opportunities no matter where dad coaches. I'm not particularly familiar with schools in State College area, one would think that any place with a major university is going to have quality schools or at least excellent private schools. It's not like they have limited financial resources. They will be able to go to any university their grades will earn them acceptance, and from there the opportunities will be the ones they make for themselves.

There was a time when where you grew up and went to school played a major factor in your opportunities. In an era where moving is anything but unusual and opportunities for quality education can be found anywhere in the country, I don't see that being the case anymore.

As for Bozeman, the area is beautiful, but I couldn't handle the winters. After 34 years in the DC suburbs, I couldn't go back to small town living, either. As I said before, that's me.
right...but his kids can go to GREAT schools no matter the grade or level and get a good job and never have to move away. I cannot agree that opportunities are the same in HV versus LA county. And, even if you do move away, you sell that house that has appreciated and move to Idaho or whatever and live in a comparable mansion.

right...but his kids can go to GREAT schools no matter the grade or level and get a good job and never have to move away. I cannot agree that opportunities are the same in HV versus LA county. And, even if you do move away, you sell that house that has appreciated and move to Idaho or whatever and live in a comparable mansion.
It goes back to my original point - beyond football, we graft our values and preferences on to the Franklins when discussing the appeal of job opportunities.

Clearly, you consider the opportunities that LA offers to be worth the negatives (every place has them.) I understand that and respect it completely; I consider the opportunities of Fairfax, VA to be well worth its negatives. After four years of going to ROTC activities at USC where she got her commission, my NorCal native wife hates LA. Her attitude on the San Fran area where she grew up is that she liked it, but not nearly enough to go back. My teenage son wants no part of any place that doesn't get snow, and I can't tell you how many people I know who thought their time in Northern Virginia was as close to a prison sentence as they want to experience. I have no idea what kind of place the Franklins would consider the best balance of opportunities, personal preferences such as weather, and negatives. Without that knowledge, saying that place A is better for them than place B doesn't take in to account the most important data point - them. Cheers!

Last edited:
Importing? What about the exporting? I’m adamant that he should focus on the exporting, and maybe even forget about the importing. If he’s anything like Art Vanedlay, he can import chips - potato and some corn - and export diapers.

Importing? What about the exporting? I’m adamant that he should focus on the exporting, and maybe even forget about the importing. If he’s anything like Art Vanedlay, he can import chips - potato and some corn - and export diapers.
You forgot the matches. :D

It goes back to my original point - beyond football, we graft our values and preferences on to the Franklins when discussing the appeal of job opportunities.

Clearly, you consider the opportunities that LA offers to be worth the negatives (every place has them.) I understand that and respect it completely; I consider the opportunities of Fairfax, VA to be well worth its negatives. After four years of going to ROTC activities at USC where she got her commission, my NorCal native wife hates LA. Her attitude on the San Fran area where she grew up is that she liked it, but not nearly enough to go back. My teenage son wants no part of any place that doesn't get snow, and I can't tell you how many people I know who thought their time in Northern Virginia was as close to a prison sentence as they want to experience. I have no idea what kind of place the Franklins would consider the best balance of opportunities, personal preferences such as weather, and negatives. Without that knowledge, saying that place A is better for them than place B doesn't take in to account the most important data point - them. Cheers!
fair enough. my only point is that we all look at things through our prisms, understanding, and experiences. Your son likes snow, might he trade in his snowboard for a surfboard? Once he had that experience, he may change his point of view (or surf in the AM, drive and snow ski the same day!).

life is about taking advantage of opportunities. Every place has its own opportunities. Hell, I live in CLE. But you know how much I'd have to pay to live in a 55 + mile wide body of water anyplace else? I'd not be able to afford it. In CA, that would be $10m+.

I lived on the central coast (Monterey) for about a year in the mid-70's and fell in love with California. Back then it still lived up to its billing as The Golden State.

45 years later, it's become an oligarchy where the divide between the Haves and Have-Nots is gaping...and growing. Sort of like lords and serfs from feudal times.

But if you're one of the lords, as Franklin would be, life is still sweet there...though expensive. You get the weather, geography, and glamour...and can safely remove yourself from the serf world of squalor, crime, drugs, and homelessness.

From the title of the thread..Davey Jones at it again....I thought he got caught having anal sex with sheep after killing a transvestite hooker again.

I used to exchange emails with him a few years back. Sent him one after this story which basically said nice to see some things never change and asked him what happened to his claim a few years back that Franklin was perfect for Miami. Still waiting to hear from him. But not holding my breath.

"By David Jones"....

HVnuqJ0.jpeg

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

He's an importer-exporter!

Reactions: ouirpsu
I lived on the central coast (Monterey) for about a year in the mid-70's and fell in love with California. Back then it still lived up to its billing as The Golden State.

45 years later, it's become an oligarchy where the divide between the Haves and Have-Nots is gaping...and growing. Sort of like lords and serfs from feudal times.

But if you're one of the lords, as Franklin would be, life is still sweet there...though expensive. You get the weather, geography, and glamour...and can safely remove yourself from the serf world of squalor, crime, drugs, and homelessness.
Your point is exactly correct in my mind...except that gap is everywhere in America. My son just moved to LA and signed a year lease for his start up. It is the perfect place for what he is doing and he loves it. I've got a high school friend who is an anesthesiologist in PA Coal Country living in a Robber Baronesque mansion the size of a PSU fraternity house. Many of the other properties on Zillow listed in his community are places none of us would want to live.
My cousins who were born, raised and live in LA are doing extremely well for themselves too. One makes considerably more than James does or would and recently bought a dream property in Brentwood that used to belong to a famous old Hollywood actor.
Every place has its haves and have nots. LA has more than its' share of danger: fires, earthquakes, lack of water and large homeless population. But for the Franklin's that wouldn't matter much. Get a place in Manhattan or Redondo Beach. Easy driving commute via local roads to USC if traffic is bad. The campus is an idyllic hole in the donut of its surrounding neighborhoods- which are "gentrifying." Schools wouldn't be an issue.
So we are just trying to apply the lens of what I'll assume is a relatively middle class/upper middle class forum to a person who works for a place that we love. We sort of feel disrespected by James since he continually leaves his options open. The rule when I was in business was that you could only stick a gun to your employers head once with a big outside offer and expect them to match it. After that the loyalty and trust factors were gone and you better be prepared to leave the next time. Will Sandy play along or not?
Some people love the change in seasons. Others love the consistency of knowing the weather is pretty much the same every day and they can do outside activities like golf or surf yearound.
I love PA and live and work in my hometown....but if my son ends up in LA with a family we will go there in a minute. We may need to live in my cousin's garage or poolhouse, or an RV parked on the streets, but will cross that bridge when we get to it.
I wish he would end the speculation but don't blame him for his strategy.

Is this surprising? Just ignore it.

Once you live in Port Matilda, you don't leave. CJF's tenure is going to give JoePa's a run for the money.

Maybe the best strategy regarding Jones is to just put him on “ignore “. He probably checks in here and sees a thread about his “reporting” and believes he is accomplishing his agenda……..

He kinda helps that by hiding behind a paywall. I've totally stopped reading Pennlive Sports finally about a year or two ago.

He kinda helps that by hiding behind a paywall. I've totally stopped reading Pennlive Sports finally about a year or two ago.
Likewise. But the OP was helpful enough to provide a summary. Again, I’m not ragging on the OP, as his Subject Line screamed “Do Not Open.”

Why am I bothering bitching about David Jones? I gotta get a life.

Likewise. But the OP was helpful enough to provide a summary. Again, I’m not ragging on the OP, as his Subject Line screamed “Do Not Open.”

Why am I bothering bitching about David Jones? I gotta get a life.

I hadn't even thought about that little shit in so long it was almost nostalgic to crap on him a bit.

Doesn't his old buddy work here now? I want some gossip. Some inside dirt...

Reactions: LionJim
He’s just p*ssed that the Buckeyes took it up the keester from a team that looked a lot like 2016 PSU …. So He’s working out some issues
He works for a 3 days a week newspaper. Why on earth would anyone read his lame BS?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT