ADVERTISEMENT

Defining a blue blood?

Chickadee34

Gold Member
May 2, 2018
Mahanoy, PA
Saw Andy Staples discussing this. They came to the conclusion that a blueblood is a program that has to have at least three generations of top tier performances with one of them being recent and that you have to have won a national title.

Here are the programs he listed as current bluebloods: Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Georgia, Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Penn State.

He listed as "contenders": Florida State, LSU, Clemson, Nebraska, Miami, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee and Oregon

I'd knock Notre Dame down to the "almost but not quite blueblood." It's been too long since the national titles. They're very good, but not quite elite in my mind. I guess you have to have Michigan as a current blueblood, but honestly I think I'd replace them with LSU. Florida State and Oregon are the closest to moving up to blueblood status in my opinion (FSU used to be there, but needs to win one under Norvell to get back). Clemson is tough. I think they need to do it under a coach besides Dabo to earn that spot. They've basically had one generation of incredible football. Nebraska has no place on this list. They've been awful for nearly a decade now and I don't think anybody under the age of 35 remembers them being one of the powerhouses. And I don't really see the path back for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News