ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone hear our #3 on defense

OK, but I don't think the reference is to DiMaggio personally but rather to a time...a myth...an ideal even.

Perhaps that time never existed...the myth fanciful...and the ideal unreachable.

But there's something to be said for holding onto the memories, hopes, and dreams anyway.

I mean, look around at the new grubby reality with all the ugliness and unhappiness. Is that really preferable?

Yes, dealing in reality is always preferable to playing pretend and lying to one’s self and others in order to criticize what’s real.

Have any of you guys played Pop Warner? It starts in Pony's (5 & 6 grade) and continues at every level.

I grew up in the military and the enlisted men's picnics were way worse than that comment. Every other word was a swearword. They would never say that in the office or their homes but at certain functions it was very, very common. Same with football, hockey and most sports were hitting someone as hard as you can is part of the game. Not good but excepted by most who play.

Yell at a WVU receiver "No, Niga#" after he broke up a pass on the WVU sideline. I know kids talk trash but I thought this was disgraceful conduct. And quite frankly I think Penn State players act like punks way more than they should.
Anyway, happy about the win but the culture of college football is starting to remind me of the Canes of the 80s.
Yes I'm afraid I heard that

Reactions: PSUPride1
OK, but I don't think the reference is to DiMaggio personally but rather to a time...a myth...an ideal even.

Perhaps that time never existed...the myth fanciful...and the ideal unreachable.

But there's something to be said for holding onto the memories, hopes, and dreams anyway.

I mean, look around at the new grubby reality with all the ugliness and unhappiness. Is that really preferable?
There is a reason some people are Biblical literalists. Thanks for recognizing allusion for what it is.

Reactions: Jerry
“F@ck no N!gg…!”

You guys are so weak and pathetic. Reid and co would have never dreamed of saying something like that out of respect for their teammates Franco Harris, Lydell Mitchell, Charlie Pittman and Mike Cooper. Similarly, opposing players would never dare to either, out of fear of being pulverized by Reid and the guys.

Same for my era. If anyone said something like that in front of Bruce Clark he would have dismantled him.

And no Pop Warner kid with a father would ever say that either.

People have lost their jobs, careers, reputations and more for saying less. A kid lost his college scholarship and was blackballed for singing a rap song, for God’s sake.

And you pathetic, little weasels and Fox Sports broadcasting and the whole Fake News media complex either don’t bat an eye or twist yourselves into the sad, stupid, hypocritical pretzels that you are to justify it.

That’s the real truth of this. It’s sick and it’s wrong. End of story.
And you clearly have no idea what the history was. Direct from a former players mouth in this very forum some years back, Reid, Smear and Onkotz as well as Cates and Robinson, were brutal smack talkers in the field AND in practice and would dole out punishment verbally as well as physically.

Wait...I'm sorry, he should have said "Gee willikers I am so sorry that pass I had to break up, here please accept my handshake and some fresh hoagies and sodas at halftime", to the team that said shit like "We are going to smash Penn State in the mouth and take their soul" while trash talking us on nearly every play with their fans chanting Sandusky slurs during the game.

Give me a break dude. "F##$ no ni##a" isn't Jack $hit compared to that.

Reactions: brupsu
I grew up in the military and the enlisted men's picnics were way worse than that comment. Every other word was a swearword. They would never say that in the office or their homes but at certain functions it was very, very common. Same with football, hockey and most sports were hitting someone as hard as you can is part of the game. Not good but excepted by most who play.
After basic training at Ft Knox it seemed like every other word out of my mouth was *uck. I also picked up a bit of a southern drawl after hanging around with 3 guys from Mississippi. I eventually managed to correct that. The drawl, that is.

Wait...I'm sorry, he should have said "Gee willikers I am so sorry that pass I had to break up, here please accept my handshake and some fresh hoagies and sodas at halftime", to the team that said shit like "We are going to smash Penn State in the mouth and take their soul" while trash talking us on nearly every play with their fans chanting Sandusky slurs during the game.

I always love when people make a ridiculous comparison to justify something
Were the Sandusky slurs acceptable?

You can never over -estimate hah' many of the PSU faithful are slightly upper-dooper-yupper- class dork-a-lorks that think they're Isaac Newton cause they passed HS algebra... Lord Father and Lord Jesus both love em

It didn’t happen when I played. May be common place now but stop the BS about it “going on forever” and for as long as Pop Warner football has been played.

160202-football-uniforms-01.jpg

Is that you on the bottom left, wearing the beanie and gently holding his own knee whilst affectionately resting your other arm on your teammate's leg?

"I dare say ... fine tackle, ole chap! Tally ho!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: brupsu and psrurock
“F@ck no N!gg…!”

You guys are so weak and pathetic. Reid and co would have never dreamed of saying something like that out of respect for their teammates Franco Harris, Lydell Mitchell, Charlie Pittman and Mike Cooper. Similarly, opposing players would never dare to either, out of fear of being pulverized by Reid and the guys.

Same for my era. If anyone said something like that in front of Bruce Clark he would have dismantled him.

And no Pop Warner kid with a father would ever say that either.

People have lost their jobs, careers, reputations and more for saying less. A kid lost his college scholarship and was blackballed for singing a rap song, for God’s sake.

And you pathetic, little weasels and Fox Sports broadcasting and the whole Fake News media complex either don’t bat an eye or twist yourselves into the sad, stupid, hypocritical pretzels that you are to justify it.

That’s the real truth of this. It’s sick and it’s wrong. End of story.
It was a black guy saying it to a white guy during a sporting event…tell me when that ever resulted in someone losing their job or their scholarship.

You're a moron. And spare me all this compared to that shit. I don't know what playground you grew up on but what he said is thug culture and we should try and make these kids better than that. No standards anymore is why this country is going to hell.

It was a black guy saying it to a white guy during a sporting event…tell me when that ever resulted in someone losing their job or their scholarship.
Do the 2 players actually know each other?

The N word is not always used as a pejorative and it actually can be a term of endearment.

Having stated that, I did not hear the exchange and that context definitely matters....

You're a moron. And spare me all this compared to that shit. I don't know what playground you grew up on but what he said is thug culture and we should try and make these kids better than that. No standards anymore is why this country is going to hell.
Ignore him--he's being ridiculous. You don't have to be okay with a player speaking like that while representing Penn State or any program. I don't ultimately care but this nonsense that 11 year olds should be encouraged to speak like that speaks volumes about how dumb they are.

Last edited:
It's not "kids today" -- language on a football field has always been pungent. Just google legendary NFL trash talkers. I'm not sure if it was #3 but at one point you saw a PSU corner and WVu receiver jawing at each other but they were smiling and genuinely enjoying it. Every now and then you see how much these guys love the game they play -- that was one of those moments.

Yikes. What kind of foul language is this from the thread starter?! Very 80's Canes'ish. Punk'ish, even.

You must come from thug culture with that rude potty mouth.

Reactions: Delcolion915
Hey it's all good right? Anything goes.

Not on my part ... I've only stated that it's nothing new, and acting like this is some new-fangled "there goes the neighborhood" and "back in my day things were so much better" phenomenon is silly.

I teach my kids to act respectfully. I acted respectfully ... until someone acted disrespectfully, and then they got it back much worse on the field. But this kind of behavior is commonplace, and has been ... it's part of sports culture.

I’m old school, so I’m not impressed with trash talking. My experience growing up was those who couldn’t play a good game tried to talk a good game. Those who could play let their actions do the talking. It was that simple back then.
That being said, there should be one set of rules for this crap. If it is “offensive” coming out of one mouth, it’s offensive coming out of every mouth. No free passes for any reason.

I’m old school, so I’m not impressed with trash talking. My experience growing up was those who couldn’t play a good game tried to talk a good game. Those who could play let their actions do the talking. It was that simple back then.
That being said, there should be one set of rules for this crap. If it is “offensive” coming out of one mouth, it’s offensive coming out of every mouth. No free passes for any reason.

Should be common sense.

Not on my part ... I've only stated that it's nothing new, and acting like this is some new-fangled "there goes the neighborhood" and "back in my day things were so much better" phenomenon is silly.

I teach my kids to act respectfully. I acted respectfully ... until someone acted disrespectfully, and then they got it back much worse on the field. But this kind of behavior is commonplace, and has been ... it's part of sports culture.
I played sports my whole life and I have family that played major college football and coached at the highest levels. That kind of shit was not a part of any trash talking I was around but I'm from a different generation.
Now we come from a hard scrabble mining town. If you talked that way to the kids I grew up with you would be fighting.
It doesn't affect me one way or the other. I just happen to think it's a disgrace. He sounded like a punk thug on the street corner - not a competitive and supposedly educated young adult.

Reactions: Jerry
I played sports my whole life and I have family that played major college football and coached at the highest levels. That kind of shit was not a part of any trash talking I was around but I'm from a different generation.
Now we come from a hard scrabble mining town. If you talked that way to the kids I grew up with you would be fighting.
It doesn't affect me one way or the other. I just happen to think it's a disgrace. He sounded like a punk thug on the street corner - not a competitive and supposedly educated young adult.
While I agree with your sentiment I would not and will not make it a personal attack on this player or any single player.

The problem is about society as whole that accepts such behavior. It’s widely standard discourse in rap music, video games, movies, street talk, and far more. And it is nearly impossible to change the course.

Ohio State recently got a ton of publicity for having many football players past and present hold a huge prayer fest on campus complete with prayer and a baptismal water bath. Lots of students became ‘born again’ and took the plunge. Yet I bet many of those same players engage in similar trash talk in the heat of battle.

It has become that engrained, that accepted, that normalized. Bet the player that said doesn’t even realize or remember he said it.

Has he addressed the issue?

Sorry I didn’t know all the subsections and codicils for the proper use of racial slurs.

While I agree with your sentiment I would not and will not make it a personal attack on this player or any single player.

The problem is about society as whole that accepts such behavior. It’s widely standard discourse in rap music, video games, movies, street talk, and far more. And it is nearly impossible to change the course.

Ohio State recently got a ton of publicity for having many football players past and present hold a huge prayer fest on campus complete with prayer and a baptismal water bath. Lots of students became ‘born again’ and took the plunge. Yet I bet many of those same players engage in similar trash talk in the heat of battle.

It has become that engrained, that accepted, that normalized. Bet the player that said doesn’t even realize or remember he said it.

Has he addressed the issue?
No idea Spin. I doubt it. As you said sadly this is part of culture.

We know. You’re the kind of guy who steps over homeless people on your way to the office.

Reactions: m.knox
Ignore him--he's being ridiculous. You don't have to be okay with a player speaking like that while representing Penn State or any program. I don't ultimately care but this nonsense that 11 year olds should be encouraged to speak like that speaks volumes about how dumb they are.
OMG. Lando finally found an acorn. I commend you.

Reactions: m.knox

How could we be so gullible! You have convinced us! It was the right thing to do. Carry on.

And you clearly have no idea what the history was. Direct from a former players mouth in this very forum some years back, Reid, Smear and Onkotz as well as Cates and Robinson, were brutal smack talkers in the field AND in practice and would dole out punishment verbally as well as physically.
They did not use real racial slurs that cause other people to lose their jobs.

The NFL, MLB and Nike should also try and they aren’t even dealing with kids.

Sorry I didn’t know all the subsections and codicils for the proper use of racial slurs.
I can’t kept up either. All the pronouns, racial crap, ‘hate’ language, non-inclusivity, hyper sensitivity to every word uttered ….. Yet this type of language used in a sporting game is 100% acceptable and you are laughed at if you take offense….

I am so glad I moved into a cave long ago. Hate people. Just me and my dog and a sheep. Now if I could just get rid of that single cat lady in the treehouse above me…..🤬🤬🤬🤬

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT