ADVERTISEMENT

Do we hire an OC from in house?

live4now

Jul 17, 2023
The offense has looked good! Do we hire an Offensive Coordinator from what we have on staff? Why not? Better transition for next year. Who knows what you get when you bring someone from another program. I know it's MSU and Rutgers, but it's been good so far.

The offense has looked good! Do we hire an Offensive Coordinator from what we have on staff? Why not? Better transition for next year. Who knows what you get when you bring someone from another program. I know it's MSU and Rutgers, but it's been good so far.

We are playing MSU

Reactions: LandoComando
Ideally you find the best available guy interested in coming here
The last thing I'd worry about is continuity given how poor the offense has been all year
Like you said--it's Michigan State

Reactions: cntblvitsbutter
Franklin has tried hiring big names from outside and promoting from within and had trouble with both.

Yes Moorhead did a great job but he had a whole roster of future NFL skill players. And they didn't have the same success without Godwin and Blacknall.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Franklin has tried hiring big names from outside and promoting from within and had trouble with both.

Yes Moorhead did a great job but he had a whole roster of future NFL skill players. And they didn't have the same success without Godwin and Blacknall.
One sign of a poorly managed organization is a Teflon "leader" who runs everything but is not directly responsible for developing anything.

The disconnect from the product can lead to what I call "Management by The Finger." This means that everyone is perpetually on edge, knowing that if they don' t perform that they will get canned. The Finger is always moving and can point at any individual....except the boss.

We have seen this method in force with our OC, WR and OLine coaches for the past 7 years or so. I am not a Franklin hater, but I am finding myself more and more frustrsted.

Yes 10-2 is great.

No I don't want to become Nebraska.

Yes next year with the expanded playoff should be a new chapter

BUT. This year just wasn't a whole lot of fun.

THAT is on the CEO.

Hoping for better next year!

One sign of a poorly managed organization is a Teflon "leader" who runs everything but is not directly responsible for developing anything.

The disconnect from the product can lead to what I call "Management by The Finger." This means that everyone is perpetually on edge, knowing that if they don' t perform that they will get canned. The Finger is always moving and can point at any individual....except the boss.

We have seen this method in force with our OC, WR and OLine coaches for the past 7 years or so. I am not a Franklin hater, but I am finding myself more and more frustrsted.

Yes 10-2 is great.

No I don't want to become Nebraska.

Yes next year with the expanded playoff should be a new chapter

BUT. This year just wasn't a whole lot of fun.

THAT is on the CEO.

Hoping for better next year!
If you can’t have fun winning ten games I suggest a new hobby.

If you can’t have fun winning ten games I suggest a new hobby.
Or you actually went to PSU, love it, and experienced times where the goal was to be #1 or in the mix, then this year was not satisfying.

Was very much like our old Independent schedules. We had 2 nice wins: WVU and Iowa. Beat some crappy teams. Played below our potential and nearly flubbed the IU game. And our D showed up for our 2 biggest games but it never felt like we were in either game....just hanging on.

Our talented QB and RBs didn't grow as hoped. The TEs were our best receivers. The OLine was not the best in 10 years.

Even our D is complicit. #4 King "wanted" Harrison Jr. Well, he got him and we didn't make adjustments.

The King brothers and a 3rd defender allowed McCarthy to cut back on the critical 4th down and convert. The Michigan D stripped our QB on a 4th down play. That was the game in a nutshell.

So yeah- not a ton of "fun" and more yelling at the tv than most years. I'm likely to go back in on a share of season tickets next year primarily for the UW game. I have cousins in Seattle who are alums and I'll be hosting next year in exchange for the return trip.

I'm 58 and not changing my hobby. But for the first time in years I allowed my wife to make some plans on football Saturdays, and sadly didn't miss our games as much as I thought I would.

Maybe next year....

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Or you actually went to PSU, love it, and experienced times where the goal was to be #1 or in the mix, then this year was not satisfying.

Was very much like our old Independent schedules. We had 2 nice wins: WVU and Iowa. Beat some crappy teams. Played below our potential and nearly flubbed the IU game. And our D showed up for our 2 biggest games but it never felt like we were in either game....just hanging on.

Our talented QB and RBs didn't grow as hoped. The TEs were our best receivers. The OLine was not the best in 10 years.

Even our D is complicit. #4 King "wanted" Harrison Jr. Well, he got him and we didn't make adjustments.

The King brothers and a 3rd defender allowed McCarthy to cut back on the critical 4th down and convert. The Michigan D stripped our QB on a 4th down play. That was the game in a nutshell.

So yeah- not a ton of "fun" and more yelling at the tv than most years. I'm likely to go back in on a share of season tickets next year primarily for the UW game. I have cousins in Seattle who are alums and I'll be hosting next year in exchange for the return trip.

I'm 58 and not changing my hobby. But for the first time in years I allowed my wife to make some plans on football Saturdays, and sadly didn't miss our games as much as I thought I would.

Maybe next year....
Well using that definition you haven’t had fun since 1994. Enjoy the wins. Winning double digit games back to back is something most programs would die for.

Well using that definition you haven’t had fun since 1994. Enjoy the wins. Winning double digit games back to back is something most programs would die for.
We aren't most programs. Expectations should we higher. This season was frustrating and firing the OC proves our results this year aren't good enough.

We aren't most programs. Expectations should we higher. This season was frustrating and firing the OC proves our results this year aren't good enough.
The reality is we haven’t competed for national championships on any type of consistent basis since the 80’s and 1994.

Yes we should always strive to be better but some fans act like being Top 5 was the norm for Penn State.

Go look at the records hanging in the wall outside of Beaver Stadium for a reality check. We are right in line or better than our usual historical performance.

The reality is we haven’t competed for national championships on any type of consistent basis since the 80’s and 1994.

Yes we should always strive to be better but some fans act like being Top 5 was the norm for Penn State.

Go look at the records hanging in the wall outside of Beaver Stadium for a reality check. We are right in line or better than our usual historical performance.
It's not acting like it was the norm. It's acting like it's the new goal. We all know we haven't truly contended for a title in 30 years and are approaching 40 since winning but that doesn't mean with a program with our advantages you settle for "solid". I'm not on board with firing Franklin now but he has to show he's capable of getting us there. So far he hasn't though he's accomplished a lot. Now it's time for the next step.

1999 we were pre season #1 - Lavar was on the cover of S.I. the day my daughter was born.

2005 we came out of the Dark and into the light. Great run.

The next few years had excitement with the advent of the White Out but losing streaks vs the big 2 and Iowa. Similar to now- but thank God for Rich Rod : )

IN 2012 we were doing our best Iowa 2023 impersonation when the bottom fell out. I agree that I wasn't sure we'd ever get back to where We Are, and I am appreciative of Bill O and James for that.

Bottom line on this year is that we didn't live up to the hype, didn't appreviably grow, will lose some great defenders and possibly our DC, and our Offense looked like eunichs in our two biggest games with a new (maybe old?) Ringmaster coming in for the 3rd time in 5 years.

10-2. Yes.

Successful? Maybe.

"Elite"? Hell no.

That is the self appointed Standard that not only fans, but our CEO expects.

By any measure, most importantly Wins and Losses, we aren't there.

Reactions: LandoComando
If we're being honest--given our schedule this year 10-2 was the floor of what is acceptable. It was also the expectation as Ohio State and Michigan are teams we haven't proven we can beat.

The Big Ten gets harder next year (even UCLA is comparable to the teams that go 7-5/6-6 most years in the Big and the rest are better) so there will be more tests. A playoff spot (10-2 or 11-1) is the goal next year with Allar returning for this junior year. Less than that is a flop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT