ADVERTISEMENT

Due to NIL are you losing interest

I'm not opposed to a system where the players get compensated better and have freedom of movement.

Generally, I'm tired of all the turmoil, the constant changes in rules, transfers, conference alignments, etc. Most of it is probably for the good but over-shadows the sport itself. Will we get back to a focus on football and the actual games?

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Yes. It is over for me It was a great run and I will tune into the big PSU games, but I have no desire to follow CFB free agency each off season. The position of “General Manager” in CFB is about 20 months away.

Reactions: Hotshoe and royboy
I don’t think there’s any point in following recruiting anymore as every player can leave whenever they feel like it. I’ve learned a lot from my wife over the years. She grew up in the FL panhandle and is a Noles fan. She can careless about anything from the final whistle in January until the opening weekend in September. Has no clue which players come or go doesn’t follow offseason news. But when that first game comes around in the fall, she’s right there rooting hard for her team, whoever takes the field . I think that’s the proper approach nowadays
Yes, that's probably correct. However, It's not why I reached into my wallet in past and I will never do so in the future. I've never been a "big" donor but now I'll never be a donor to PSU again.

Reactions: Ski
For me it's not just NIL. It's sports in general have lost a personal connection and importance. It has to do with poor products, MLB & NBA are now unwatchable for me. Teams change players too much (now pro and college) which breaks a bond and creates haves and have not. Also, as you get older the changes in the sports cause it to grow less important. It is why advertising focuses on 20 - 40 year Olds, because they're maleable.

I've not watched the NBA or MLB or NHL in years, and don't miss it. I've missed the NCAA basketball and football championships the past few years and even the Superbowl. Have not suffered at all.

With NIL, the portal, conference changes, $, the NCAA, gambling, TV, ESPN, and everything else, college football is quickly losing it's charm as well. The things about the game that were important to me are no longer important to them.

Talk about losing interest. I agree with all the points above and now I just read that our White Out game is going to be against Illinois.? The most unique CF game in the country, one that allows PSU to be nationally showcased in the most positive light.?

Transfers and the portal have detrimentally impacted my interest level more than NIL. I don't have a problem with legit NIL. I do have a problem with pay for play under the guise of NIL, but it's not my money and never will be, so whatever. But completely unregulated free agency for every player, every season makes it impossible to have much cohesion to form a proper team, and hard to develop an interest for individual players when you know they might leave at any time.
NIL has turned college football into pure pay for play. If the NCAA strikes a deal to pay players $20 million per year we'll still have NIL on top of that. I don't know if the $20 million will lock players into 4 year contracts. If it does that will help a little bit.

A lot of folks are losing interest ... because they're getting older and losing the testosterone that would drive them to have interest in contact sports, or sports in general ... and because the interest wanes as you grow apart from having a "playing" interest in the sport (or offspring that participate) ...

And because of the sheer availability of other entertainment options in the digital age.

It has virtually nothing to do with any changes in the sport itself .. but folks deem it necessary to concoct some excuse as to why they're not as interested, and then announce it to the world. No one cares ... just move on.

The off season has become more chaotic and less enjoyable. I’m intentionally following it less because most of the “news” is negative.

But from week 1 through mid December I won’t be thinking about the portal and NIL and I suspect many of you will be the same.

A lot of folks are losing interest ... because they're getting older and losing the testosterone that would drive them to have interest in contact sports, or sports in general ... and because the interest wanes as you grow apart from having a "playing" interest in the sport (or offspring that participate) ...
You might be right but that certainly doesn't hold true for me. I played a lot of sports when I was young and continued to play for as long as my health allowed. I did a lot of running including a few marathons and I really miss it. I played in basketball leagues until I reached 60 and it kills me that I can no longer play. I attended a spring training baseball game in March and it brought back so many memories of my playing days and I wanted to be out there myself. I still play golf.

My wife kids me when I watch the games. She watches my body movement and accuses me of trying to play the game from my recliner.

Any lost interest I have is due to the amount of money and commercialization. I remember when Bob Gibson & Juan Marichal would pitch 30 complete games. Last year Joes Barrios led the American League with 1. I remember when Mickey Mantle would get taped up and battle through injuries to play. Today a player misses 4 months because they get a hangnail. The Bird vs Magic battles were epic because they would do whatever it takes to win. And of course I remember when the Olympics were played by amateur athletes and college sports were played by college students. Something was pure about those things.

Last edited:

And because of the sheer availability of other entertainment options in the digital age.

It has virtually nothing to do with any changes in the sport itself .. but folks deem it necessary to concoct some excuse as to why they're not as interested, and then announce it to the world. No one cares ... just move on.
This is the dumbest thing I read all day. Blame the victim - typical Pedopitch.

Reactions: wcg207
This is the dumbest thing I read all day. Blame the victim - typical Pedopitch.

What are you the victim of, lil guy? Not being able to count on that one particular 18-year-old boy to entertain you for 3-4 years as he doesn't get paid for the entertainment value he brings to you? Instead, you have to suffer through either that same boy being paid for his services, or watch another boy entertain you each year?

The horra.

It's fine, guy ... go watch Pretty Little Liars, instead ... no one's going to judge you.

LoL. PeePee the multiple bans disbarred Whale shark of the small mind with another ridiculously stupid post.

What are you the victim of, lil guy? Not being able to count on that one particular 18-year-old boy to entertain you for 3-4 years as he doesn't get paid for the entertainment value he brings to you? Instead, you have to suffer through either that same boy being paid for his services, or watch another boy entertain you each year?

The horra.

It's fine, guy ... go watch Pretty Little Liars, instead ... no one's going to judge you.
Can't stand an opposing point of view can we so your response is gaslighting? You must be a joy to be around.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionDeNittany

The horra.

I don't even know what you are talking about. I think they should get paid. Your inferencing are terrible.

Almost a consensus from these posts that NIL and unlimited transfers has hurt interest and has all-but killed the off-season.

I still contend that the regular season is awfully fun...and it's going to be better with the CFP. Imagine with me...

We lose to WVU. Devastating.
But we rip off the next four and look really good...and then beat USC in the Colisseum. Ranked in the top 15 again.
Lose a heartbreaker in Madison at night...but then come back and beat the all-star team Buckeyes in the Beav (ask Lincoln Riley at USC and Deion at Colorado how all-star teams work out in the long run...)
Now, we're 4-1 in the Big Ten with a path to the championship game. And ranked in the top 10.

Last year, we'd need to run the table to make the playoff (4 teams). In my scenario, we'll be rooting against our playoff competition more than ever...and one more loss wouldn't necessarily kill our chances.

Let's see we lose again at Minnesota...but with wins over USC, OSU, and Washington...a 9-3 PSU is on the edge of the 12 team playoff. We'd be tuned in like crazy to numerous games over the final weeks of the season and especially championship weekend.

Let's say we only lose in the Big Ten title game...a 10-3 PSU is almost guaranteed a road game in the first round of the playoff. Now what are we watching? Who will be our opponent? Will we be the 9-10-11 seed? And who will be 6-7-8 and our first round host? That's going to be super fun...

And that's a scenario for a good (not great) PSU. If we're 11-1 through the season, the CFP is going to have so many nuances and dimensions to it, it's going to be FAR more entertaining than November has ever been.

Almost a consensus from these posts that NIL and unlimited transfers has hurt interest and has all-but killed the off-season.

I still contend that the regular season is awfully fun...and it's going to be better with the CFP. Imagine with me...

But we rip off the next four and look really good...and then beat USC in the Colisseum. Ranked in the top 15 again.
Lose a heartbreaker in Madison at night...but then come back and beat the all-star team Buckeyes in the Beav (ask Lincoln Riley at USC and Deion at Colorado how all-star teams work out in the long run...)
Now, we're 4-1 in the Big Ten with a path to the championship game. And ranked in the top 10.

Last year, we'd need to run the table to make the playoff (4 teams). In my scenario, we'll be rooting against our playoff competition more than ever...and one more loss wouldn't necessarily kill our chances.

Let's see we lose again at Minnesota...but with wins over USC, OSU, and Washington...a 9-3 PSU is on the edge of the 12 team playoff. We'd be tuned in like crazy to numerous games over the final weeks of the season and especially championship weekend.

Let's say we only lose in the Big Ten title game...a 10-3 PSU is almost guaranteed a road game in the first round of the playoff. Now what are we watching? Who will be our opponent? Will we be the 9-10-11 seed? And who will be 6-7-8 and our first round host? That's going to be super fun...

And that's a scenario for a good (not great) PSU. If we're 11-1 through the season, the CFP is going to have so many nuances and dimensions to it, it's going to be FAR more entertaining than November has ever been.
Basically , who cares? It's not the sport group liking and the reason you laid out that you think will be so exciting. Is the reason I grew to hate most sports. There's no need for the expansion of playoffs and most cases in the other sports. Hockey goes on forever boring. The NBA playoffs go on for too long, and baseball had a fall. I do remember pennant winners yet then there were four teams that made the playoffs.

It's all money not quality . And college football will now join it. This is the least I've cared about Penn State in a long, long time, and I doubt I'll be coming back.

• Haha
Reactions: NJPSU

Agree about the potential and that is why I will watch when the game is televised on a station I receive (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC for me) as I do not have cable and am perfectly content with watching other games if I cannot watch PSU. For me, the way NIL and the portal are run has greatly lessened my interest in the overall PSU football program. I don't begrudge compensation for the players but it is now over-the-top as the loyalty of recruits and players on the team(s) continues to decrease. I would hope the new "20 mil" profit sharing will force a change to the easy come, easy go portal.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Agree about the potential and that is why I will watch when the game is televised on a station I receive (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC for me) as I do not have cable and am perfectly content with watching other games if I cannot watch PSU. For me, the way NIL and the portal are run has greatly lessened my interest in the overall PSU football program. I don't begrudge compensation for the players but it is now over-the-top as the loyalty of recruits and players on the team(s) continues to decrease. I would hope the new "20 mil" profit sharing will force a change to the easy come, easy go portal.
I grew up in a day when the selling point to me was we are Penn State. I was a Penn State student as were football players back then. Now The in and out and all of that, these guys aren't Penn State students. They didn't choose the school for the same reason I did.

Everyone is the old school that used to now, but they changed the role so they said it was all legal. Honestly, I don't wanna watch millionaires they're going to college for that, I want to see guys that are college students.

Maybe I don't care.

It started for me the day America went professional for Olympic team members. Then it was the Ed O'Bannon case. That was the day I knew amateur collegiate athletics was over for good. Like baseball, and free agency, that was another moment. That's where we are today. Too much movement. Coaches are constantly recruiting, including their own current team members.

Now we have farm teams, plain and simple. Just paid athletes not good enough yet to be real professionally athletes.

Reactions: psu00
Talk about losing interest. I agree with all the points above and now I just read that our White Out game is going to be against Illinois.? The most unique CF game in the country, one that allows PSU to be nationally showcased in the most positive light.?
Still not sure why people are mad about this
It's another great recruiting opportunity
Schedule better non-conference games and you'll have more options.

Yes, I'm losing interest fast. I was always proud of our "student-athletes" who majored in "real" subject areas. I've got nothing now.
You'll still have some of those kids and, like always, the majority are there to play football.
This hasn't changed. Urschel was the exception not the rule.

GA High Schools providing NIL support to "student athletes", now FL High Schools voting.
At the college level, just play the games, I will root game day and not even follow

I'm not opposed to a system where the players get compensated better and have freedom of movement.

Generally, I'm tired of all the turmoil, the constant changes in rules, transfers, conference alignments, etc. Most of it is probably for the good but over-shadows the sport itself. Will we get back to a focus on football and the actual games?
Yes for me it started with how joepa was treated By the media and how he was hung out to dry by PSU

Loyalty died during that fiasco.
Then the coaches started to play musical chairs for obscene amounts of money and that trickled down to the players.It became money and movement.

I still watch PSU games but the excitement has faded away

I think PSU fans might lose interest if they can't remain competitive with NIL money.

It sounds like NIL would remain even if schools are allowed to pay $20 million/year. If that's correct the players will go where they can get the highest combined pay.
I’m not sure how schools handle the current lawsuit settlement going forward. How does a University justify tuition increases to pay athletes? If the University is on the hook for paying athletes, rather than alumni associated organizations raising NIL money, I would guess that drastic changes are coming. Will non revenue sports be cut? Will non power five programs cease to exist? What will become of women’s athletic programs?
Will we see the formation of farm teams?
A lot of unknowns.

I'm disengaged from recruiting because it is so much less important. Top teams are going to stock from the portal and basically let lesser teams do their scouting and player development for them. The only thing that is worth paying attention to is the players who are going to actually be playing for you in the next season.

Part of the fun of college football for me was watching green HS players become great college players over 3 years or so. Now that doesn't happen much because if they don't play, they're gone, and if they play really well, they're gone.

It's funny, NCAA is finally starting a proper playoff but it might be at the very time the top talent concentrates in the top 4-5 programs and anybody outside those schools has no real chance.

W basketball, lesser programs have a chance with a couple of great players, but football, you have to be great across the board to compete with tOSU, Georgia type programs and for a team like PSU that may never happen. How many years has PSU been stuck at #10-12 now? It's better than #25 or #40 or whatever but it might be as far as PSU can advance.

The old system was unsustainable because it was basically illegal and as soon as it got challenged properly, it collapsed. But the new system really isn't anything like college football as we knew it. It's minor league football teams affiliated with universities.

The last thing to do (and I wouldn't be surprised if this will happen too because of legal challenge) is stop making players take college classes and just let them play football full time.

Reactions: wcg207
I'm disengaged from recruiting because it is so much less important. Top teams are going to stock from the portal and basically let lesser teams do their scouting and player development for them. The only thing that is worth paying attention to is the players who are going to actually be playing for you in the next season.

Part of the fun of college football for me was watching green HS players become great college players over 3 years or so. Now that doesn't happen much because if they don't play, they're gone, and if they play really well, they're gone.

It's funny, NCAA is finally starting a proper playoff but it might be at the very time the top talent concentrates in the top 4-5 programs and anybody outside those schools has no real chance.

W basketball, lesser programs have a chance with a couple of great players, but football, you have to be great across the board to compete with tOSU, Georgia type programs and for a team like PSU that may never happen. How many years has PSU been stuck at #10-12 now? It's better than #25 or #40 or whatever but it might be as far as PSU can advance.

The old system was unsustainable because it was basically illegal and as soon as it got challenged properly, it collapsed. But the new system really isn't anything like college football as we knew it. It's minor league football teams affiliated with universities.

The last thing to do (and I wouldn't be surprised if this will happen too because of legal challenge) is stop making players take college classes and just let them play football full time.
My
interest in
PSU football
is slowly
going downhill.
It's summed up nicely above. I will watch the regular season games if they're on a channel I have, if not I'll watch something else. Not too interested in paying a streaming channel for a single game. I'll watch their playoff games and watch them lose their last game of the year every year. Hope I'm wrong there but it would surprise me if they win another NC.

Non-playoff bowl games need to be eliminated for the joke they are. What an abomination that was last year. If they want to play them make them JV scrimmages to get the younger players experience before they leave for greener pastures.

My
interest in
PSU football
is slowly
going downhill.
It's summed up nicely above. I will watch the regular season games if they're on a channel I have, if not I'll watch something else. Not too interested in paying a streaming channel for a single game. I'll watch their playoff games and watch them lose their last game of the year every year. Hope I'm wrong there but it would surprise me if they win another NC.

Non-playoff bowl games need to be eliminated for the joke they are. What an abomination that was last year. If they want to play them make them JV scrimmages to get the younger players experience before they leave for greener pastures.
IMO a lot of non playoff bowl games will die on their own if players are still allowed to opt out. Fans won't pay to attend and TV money will be limited. One option would be to take another dozen teams and have them play in a lower tournament like the NIT for basketball.

That I waited a full week to add my two cents proves that my interest has waned.

I used to watch films on a lot of these kids and followed their development closely. Now, what's the point?

I think any kid getting NIL money should be obligated to play in the bowl game, regardless of its importance. It's part of the job description.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT