ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN College Sports Radio talking heads saying...

Come on man, LSU is not going to the final four. No way they pass up a one loss team. No way the SEC is getting three teams in. You can’t have five major conferences and have only one conference +1 in the four team playoff. My god, LSU nips a one loss Bama and they are a contender. The hype machine at work.
This is "IF" they beat Georgia. I don't think they will and I don't think LSU is a great team but if they have a resume with wins over Bama/Ole Miss/Georgia who else in the running as those quality wins with 1 loss? Ohio Stat/Michigan's only win is us. TCU beat a bunch of average Big XII team. Clemson hasn't beat anyone and lost to ND. The Pac XII is far from great and no one knows if any of those teams are legit.

The stupid 4 team playoff should be 2 SEC/2 Big Ten but LSU is a wildcard. So is Ole Miss if they win out. Don't think LSU or Ole Miss will BUT if they did...

A 2 loss SEC champ LSU could very well get in ahead of a 1 loss Pac 12 champ Oregon because LSU would have beaten #1 UGA and Oregon got boat raced by UGA.
This is the whole problem with the playoff system in a nutshell….they will say Oregon didn’t get in because they lost to Georgia, but Georgia will still get in even after losing to a lesser opponent. And many are talking about possibly three SEC teams getting in because two of them beat Bama….so if Ole Miss beats Bama, does the SEC get four teams in? A playoff appearance should not be made because a team beat Bama (especially if they end up with three losses).

This is the whole problem with the playoff system in a nutshell….they will say Oregon didn’t get in because they lost to Georgia, but Georgia will still get in even after losing to a lesser opponent. And many are talking about possibly three SEC teams getting in because two of them beat Bama….so if Ole Miss beats Bama, does the SEC get four teams in? A playoff appearance should not be made because a team beat Bama (especially if they end up with three losses).
No one is saying LSU get in with 3 losses
If LSU has wins over Georgia, Alabama and Ole Miss it's going to be hard to make an argument for a one-loss Pac XII team who won't have the same quality wins.
This goes back to Penn State at 11-2 should have gone over a 12-1 Washington team in 2016. And that Washington team had better wins that any Pac XII winner would have this year. The reality is FBS is two conferences right now with a few other teams as relevant. If Ole Miss runs the table they're definitely in the conversation but the SEC won't get 4 teams if the Big Ten champ is Ohio State or Michigan.

No one is saying LSU get in with 3 losses
If LSU has wins over Georgia, Alabama and Ole Miss it's going to be hard to make an argument for a one-loss Pac XII team who won't have the same quality wins.
This goes back to Penn State at 11-2 should have gone over a 12-1 Washington team in 2016. And that Washington team had better wins that any Pac XII winner would have this year. The reality is FBS is two conferences right now with a few other teams as relevant. If Ole Miss runs the table they're definitely in the conversation but the SEC won't get 4 teams if the Big Ten champ is Ohio State or Michigan.
I didn’t say LSU with three losses gets in, I was talking about LSU with two losses. If LSU beats GA in the championship game and Ole Miss beats Bama, then you could have LSU as SEC champs, GA, UT, and Ole Miss all with one loss….then which team gets left out? GA because they were the only one that didn’t beat Bama? Shows how foolish it is to use beating Bama as the key to getting in the playoffs. Then throw in if OSU is undefeated and Michigan has one loss (or the other way around) and you will still have pundits pushing for three SEC teams. I get it that the SEC may be a little better than the Big, but not that much better.

I didn’t say LSU with three losses gets in, I was talking about LSU with two losses. If LSU beats GA in the championship game and Ole Miss beats Bama, then you could have LSU as SEC champs, GA, UT, and Ole Miss all with one loss….then which team gets left out? GA because they were the only one that didn’t beat Bama? Shows how foolish it is to use beating Bama as the key to getting in the playoffs. Then throw in if OSU is undefeated and Michigan has one loss (or the other way around) and you will still have pundits pushing for three SEC teams. I get it that the SEC may be a little better than the Big, but not that much better.
Ole Miss gets left out--which is why we need a much larger playoff
Every playoff team this year should come from the Big Ten/SEC when there's only 4 spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT