ADVERTISEMENT

Fencing at Nationals today, Fri., & Sat. ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
between Wrestling Nationals and March Madness, it's questionable as to whether I'll be able to post about the results as much as I have in past years. If any of you want to post fencing results over the next 3 days, go for it.

Tom

I know nothing about Fencing & I was foiled in my attempt to learn more so

I will get right to the point. At this time, we are in 3rd place with 28 behind Ohio State and Columbia who both have 34. Penn is 4th with 27, followed by Notre Dame with 26. For the Stevens Tech fan out there, they are 15th with 6, ahead of teams like Duke and Yale at 5 and 2 respectively. I have no idea what the totals I gave represent....maybe guys wounded since no deaths were reported (thank God). Anyway, should I learn more I will pass it on and if anyone out there knows more than I, please enlighten us.
sport-graphics-fencing-665584.gif

This post was edited on 3/19 6:11 PM by fairgambit

Fence post 2..... We are now 2nd and trail Columbia by 6 points, 55 to 49.

OSU is 3rd with 47, and then Penn with 42 and Harvard with 38. Stevens Tech has dropped to 16th place with 9 points. As you can see below, this can be a very rough sport.

fencing-gone-bad-o.gif

This post was edited on 3/19 6:14 PM by fairgambit

It appears the bloodletting is over for today. We sit 2nd, tied with

OSU, and only 1 point behind Columbia. St. Johns is 4th (10 points behind us) and Penn is in 5th. Stevens Tech is 17th.

eGhyNTI4MTI=_o_fencing-like-zorro.jpg

We have moved into 1st place with 72. OSU & Columbia tied for 2nd with 67,

followed by St. John's at 59 and Penn at 58. Stevens Tech has 11, good for 17th place.

Fencing-animation.gif

We're now 3rd with 80 points, training OSU by 4 and Columbia by 1.

Stevens Tech is 17th. We may need a bust out performance by our women who have not yet begun their competition.

beac16cbf276ea7c28f69f73b857edd0.jpg

This post was edited on 3/20 5:27 PM by fairgambit

Originally posted by AllenSnyder:

Why do they have strings connected to them?
I know very little about fencing, but I suspect it has to do with the electronic scoring they use.

Update: Congrats to our Andrew Mackiewicz who won the individual.

National Championship in Men's Saber, and to PSU's Nubuo Bravo who finished 2nd in Men's Foil. The overall standings have not changed...we have 80 and are still behind OSU with 84, and Columbia with 81, but the women's events all remain.

fencing+win1.jpg

I have found out that, going into the championships, the Columbia women

were ranked #1, and we were 5th, with OSU 7th, so Columbia may be the team that has the edge.
3334087942_6f20c5e90f.jpg

A final fence post for this evening...a couple of points

POINT 1: Andrew Mackiewicz, who won the Men's Saber Championship, is only a Freshman, and this is the 2nd straight year we've won the individual Men's Sabre crown.
POINT 2: I should have noted that the women will begin their competition tomorrow (Saturday).

3858-DEFAULT-l.jpg

This post was edited on 3/20 11:24 PM by fairgambit

We are fading and have fallen to 4th behind Notre Dame. OSU still in 1st

with 104 points. Columbia 2nd (3 points back). We're 9 back with 95.
sad0019.r191677.gif

Columbia has passed OSU and is now 1st with 108 points. OSU has

104. We are 4th with 95. Columbia has the best women's team and so it appears from my layman's perspective that they will win this thing. We'll see.

1b09afa61d27bba624b98f900662ad81.jpg

Originally posted by fairgambit:
Originally posted by AllenSnyder:

Why do they have strings connected to them?
I know very little about fencing, but I suspect it has to do with the electronic scoring they use.
Exactly. One of my best friends is a fencer....

New fence post....we are now 2nd, Columbia 1st, OSU 5th.

Columbia has 136, we have 128, ND is at 127, then Princeton at 121 and OSU has 120. From what's left, I think our chances of catching Columbia are slim, but slim is better than none. Below is a photo of the action.

tumblr_lk7ualEhnq1qekfheo1_500.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT