ADVERTISEMENT

The Ferrari Family Circus

This is a problem. Gabe is entrenched at 174 and altars to be a career guy there since he said he’s too short for 184. Caliendo and PK are both also 65/74 guys who probably can’t go down. After this season, their 4 best wrestlers will all be crammed into 2 weight classes. They’ve successfully created a logjam as bad as Penn State’s at those classes but without anyone at any other class. LMAO.
Yeah, but it's my understanding Gabe can win a title at 174 or 184 [if he chooses]. And 'if' PK can get down to 157, he's a title contender.

So at least GIA has that for their annual April predictions of grandeur.
I just hope AJ is still in the convo, get those hopes sky high.:cool:

He doesn’t qualify for ORS
The Hawks are given a get-out-of-jail-free card. So what do they do? They double down.

Does an OLY RS mean he is still working out in their room? No one else will take him. Do they think he will no longer be a narcissistic jerk next year? He thinks he's the victim.

Brands can't be making these decisions with a clear mind. Can he?

Reactions: danoftw
Well, if AJ still has access to the room and needs to keep his nose clean until next year, I suspect we won't see him next year in a Hawkeye singlet. TnT will probably manage it quietly, but who here thinks 3 Ferraris in the same room next summer will not result in excessive drama of some sort?

I still give Angelo a complete pass, but Big bro #1, along with #2 jr in tow. That is a multiplier, and you know with that strong narcissistic personality, they are going to want to take over that program's culture. They can't help themselves. "If you don't like it maybe this knife will convince you otherwise" CC. It will be very interesting to see, if in the off season, the Portal hits the Iowa squad in the ass this cycle.

All of the external BS aside, I just don't think I would want to hang around with those jackasses on a daily basis even if they keep their noses clean. Back in my collegiate athletic days I was far from a quitter, but with NIL money at the program next door? Just sayin'

Well, if AJ still has access to the room and needs to keep his nose clean until next year, I suspect we won't see him next year in a Hawkeye singlet. TnT will probably manage it quietly, but who here thinks 3 Ferraris in the same room next summer will not result in excessive drama of some sort?

I still give Angelo a complete pass, but Big bro #1, along with #2 jr in tow. That is a multiplier, and you know with that strong narcissistic personality, they are going to want to take over that program's culture. They can't help themselves. "If you don't like it maybe this knife will convince you otherwise" CC. It will be very interesting to see, if in the off season, the Portal hits the Iowa squad in the ass this cycle.

All of the external BS aside, I just don't think I would want to hang around with those jackasses on a daily basis even if they keep their noses clean. Back in my collegiate athletic days I was far from a quitter, but with NIL money at the program next door? Just sayin'
'24 and '25 in my opinion should have been classes where Iowa should have had a very strong run because of roster makeup/ incoming recruits of other top programs. I havent look at what all they've secure so far from those two classes but off the top of my head it seems weak. Wonder if the Ferraris had anything to do with that.

From what I am hearing, the only way AJ gets on the team is if Beth Goetz isn't offered the full time AD job. It's not going to happen as long as she is the AD. The ORS then wrestle plan is not an offer from Beth Goetz, probably just Tom hoping it's a different AD coming in and an olive branch to Angelo.

Hanging around that gang seems like a good way to end up some sort of accessory to crime charge.

Transferring does not equal quitting. Often it's looking out for your own best interests in some fashion (lose your starting spot, move closer to home, get away from toxic teammates, etc).

Reactions: Ski
From what I am hearing, the only way AJ gets on the team is if Beth Goetz isn't offered the full time AD job. It's not going to happen as long as she is the AD. The ORS then wrestle plan is not an offer from Beth Goetz, probably just Tom hoping it's a different AD coming in and an olive branch to Angelo.
I wouldn't think any sane AD would let AJ in. It's not like TnT can sweep this under the rug and hide it.

Goetz has done a great job. If she gets fired for refusing to let the clown show take over the wrestling program, that whole school is screwed.

Goetz has done a great job. If she gets fired for refusing to let the clown show take over the wrestling program, that whole school is screwed.
Absolutely not, if anything she was catering to most Iowa fans. I'd say Iowa fans who follow wrestling is 50/50 at this point on whether to take AJ or not. For the fans who don't really follow wrestling, I'd say it's more 95/5 leaning don't take him. It seems she has a ton of support.

If Iowa chooses its Athletics Director based upon one non-registered hopeful future member of a non-revenue sport, then they're completely screwed for an entirely different reason.

Chittum is not a quitter for having seen that circus up close at Blair and deciding once was enough.

Talk about a huuuuuuge red flag that was missed lol
Warning Red Flag GIF

Where did you hear that?

'24 and '25 in my opinion should have been classes where Iowa should have had a very strong run because of roster makeup/ incoming recruits of other top programs. I havent look at what all they've secure so far from those two classes but off the top of my head it seems weak. Wonder if the Ferraris had anything to do with that.
They've landed:
2024:
Angelo Ferrari (TX) 174
Miguel Estrada (CA) 149/157 -- 3x CA state champ, flipped from Wisconsin
Dru Ayala (IA) 125

2025:
Leo DeLuca (NJ) 125/133 -- Fargo/National Preps champ

Voinovich's brother Kael (2024, 157) is apparently down to Brands vs. Dresser.

Other than Henckel, unaware of any 2024/2025 prospects who visited Iowa but chose another school. (Might be some, just unaware of them.)

2024 is pretty much picked clean, anybody remaining is depth for an Iowa. 2025 has many prospects remaining but few at the very top and I don't think any of those guys are considering Iowa.

At least they have Bobby Telford ... from the University of Iowa on it.

They've landed:
2024:
Angelo Ferrari (TX) 174
Miguel Estrada (CA) 149/157 -- 3x CA state champ, flipped from Wisconsin
Dru Ayala (IA) 125

2025:
Leo DeLuca (NJ) 125/133

Voinovich's brother Kael (2024, 157) is apparently down to Brands vs. Dresser.

Other than Henckel, unaware of any 2024/2025 prospects who visited Iowa but chose another school. (Might be some, just unaware of them.)

2024 is pretty much picked clean, anybody remaining is depth for an Iowa. 2025 has many prospects remaining but few at the very top and I don't think any of those guys are considering Iowa.

At least they have Bobby Telford ... from the University of Iowa on it.
The only big recruit that visited Iowa left uncommitted is Blaze, but with his brother at Purdue Iowa is a long shot. Iowa is a portal school.

Reactions: El-Jefe
I wonder what Voinovich’s brother thinks of VV3 demoted to the bench (and possibly third string if Fredo is ahead of him along with Rathjen)?

The only big recruit that visited Iowa left uncommitted is Blaze, but with his brother at Purdue Iowa is a long shot. Iowa is a portal school.
Thanks, was unaware of him visiting Iowa. He also showed some interest in PSU before Lilledahl and Desmond committed, but I'm not sure anybody saw that as more than him doing all of his homework.

Most likely it's a 2-horse race between Purdue and anOSU, with Tan Tom being the underdog.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I do expect you will land 1 good portal transfer a year going forward. It will get tougher once COVID years are up to land multiple.

Looking at the lineup:
125 - Drake or does he move up?
133 - Schriever/Petersen
141 - Block? (Not sure he'll still be a 141 by then but might be his best shot into the lineup, could be a target portal spot)
149 - VV/Rathjen/Estrada
157 - I can see PK trying to suck down here finally but otherwise Anthony Ferrari/Siebrecht
165 - Caliendo
174 - Gabe
184 - I think this is where you might target a transfer
197 - Glazier again (I'd be floored if AJ ever wrestles for you guys at this rate)
285 - Kueter (ideally he fully focuses on wrestling but doesn't seem he's planning on that right now)

Angelo I don't think will be a full sized 184 as a freshman (I don't think ever tbh but who knows), it would make sense to try to get him into the lineup but someone would need to go 184 and be a bit undersized.

I'm assuming Angelo/Anthony stay and AJ quits college wrestling forever, freeing his brothers to do their own things. I wouldn't be shocked if Anthony goes full time MMA route also if he never has a shot at Iowa's lineup and the best case scenario for you guys happened, you retained Angelo without those 2!

Reactions: GableBeer
I do expect you will land 1 good portal transfer a year going forward. It will get tougher once COVID years are up to land multiple.

Looking at the lineup:
133 - Schriever/Petersen
141 - Block? (Not sure he'll still be a 141 by then but might be his best shot into the lineup, could be a target portal spot)
149 - VV/Rathjen/Estrada
157 - I can see PK trying to suck down here finally but otherwise Anthony Ferrari/Siebrecht
165 - Caliendo
174 - Gabe
197 - Glazier again (I'd be floored if AJ ever wrestles for you guys at this rate)
285 - Kueter (ideally he fully focuses on wrestling but doesn't seem he's planning on that right now)

Angelo I don't think will be a full sized 184 as a freshman (I don't think ever tbh but who knows), it would make sense to try to get him into the lineup.

I'm assuming Angelo/Anthony stay and AJ quits college wrestling forever, freeing his brothers to do his own thing.
I see 33/41 being the high priority target area for the portal next season. Block wrestled Fargo at 138 and looked very good even with his acl being torn, but Iowa roster has him listed at 49.

I wonder what Voinovich’s brother thinks of VV3 demoted to the bench (and possibly third string if Fredo is ahead of him along with Rathjen)?
He's a good but not elite prospect (I think in the 60s) I'd be shocked if Iowa lost any sleep if him and Victor left.

2026 would be the class Iowa has to make some noise in, they'll obviously have the inside track for Ross unless he chooses to prioritize Football. Bassett is all over the place, some insist Iowa leads, others insist he has 0 interest. Forrest seems like a 0% chance for them (he listed 4 schools he likes in a Podcast and it was PSU, UNC, Cornell and Oklahoma State). Then the Raney twins would be great gets though obviously you're going against Ohio State (Tom Ryan is a slam dunk recruiter), Missouri (closest school and has been on fire recruiting) and Oklahoma State for them.

Looking at the lineup:
133 - Schriever/Petersen
149 - VV/Rathjen/Estrada
165 - Caliendo
174 - Gabe

Angelo I don't think will be a full sized 184 as a freshman (I don't think ever tbh but who knows), it would make sense to try to get him into the lineup but someone would need to go 184 and be a bit undersized.

I'm assuming Angelo/Anthony stay and AJ quits college wrestling forever, freeing his brothers to do their own things. I wouldn't be shocked if Anthony goes full time MMA route also if he never has a shot at Iowa's lineup and the best case scenario for you guys happened, you retained Angelo without those 2!
If that's the lineup, I'd expect Brands and Slumlord Bob to be much more active in the portal than just a 184.

As of right now, probably none of those guys makes the 2025 national finals. (Possibly Arnold, IMO too early to make that call but there is potential.) And other than Arnold, probably none ever makes a national final. It's a much better duals team than tournament team.

Just can't believe that they'd wait for the 2024/2025 guys to arrive and develop.

I see 33/41 being the high priority target area for the portal next season. Block wrestled Fargo at 138 and looked very good even with his acl being torn, but Iowa roster has him listed at 49.
Block I think has a much higher ceiling than any of the current 149s on Iowa's roster right now and would not be shocked if he was the guy there then. Was impressed with him, gave Kasak all he wanted at PWC.

Don’t forget about Kueter. I know he’s football till January, but the dude can wrestle.

If that's the lineup, I'd expect Brands and Slumlord Bob to be much more active in the portal than just a 184.

As of right now, probably none of those guys makes the 2025 national finals. (Possibly Arnold, IMO too early to make that call but there is potential.) And other than Arnold, probably none ever makes a national final. It's a much better duals team than tournament team.

Just can't believe that they'd wait for the 2024/2025 guys to arrive and develop.
That's all great but outside of Nagao and Caliendo (who left because his coach left), all of the big gets this year were graduate COVID transfers with 1 year left. Nobody else left a school with multiple years of eligiblity before graduation for the most part. It doesn't seem "tamper and pay" will work very well because there were rumors of that with someone like Bouzakis. Like I said, Iowa will have their success with the portal but there won't be unlimited options going forward, you have to recruit first and foremost.

That's all great but outside of Nagao and Caliendo (who left because his coach left), all of the big gets this year were graduate COVID transfers with 1 year left. Nobody else left a school with multiple years of eligiblity before graduation for the most part. It doesn't seem "tamper and pay" will work very well because there were rumors of that with someone like Bouzakis. Like I said, Iowa will have their success with the portal but there won't be unlimited options going forward, you have to recruit first and foremost.
Mesenbrink
Chittum
Mastrogiovanni
Henson
Spratley

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw and El-Jefe
Don’t forget about Kueter. I know he’s football till January, but the dude can wrestle.
Reading between the lines of Brands' recent presser, he's not yet in D1 wrestling shape, though. Only a matter of time, I'm sure.

Didn't he quit/move schools in high school a couple times? Commit to Minnesota then quit, commit to Iowa then quit?

Quit isn't the right word?
Just so everyone knows...shit is gonna get real nasty between this jagoff and me. He wants to follow me around and keep poking me then he's got it. I guarantee one or both of us will be banned from this site before this is over with...

Those dudes are gonna be camped out outside Noto’s dorm window I bet.

Reactions: danoftw
Not talked about much but RBY was injured. PS - we might just see retribution at the Olympics next summer.

I've twice (1986 Alabama, 1994 Michigan) seen students march a goalpost from Beaver Stadium down University Drive, down College Avenue, and then deposit it on the Old Main lawn.

They have nothing on Turk when it comes to moving goalposts.
I almost died from the Pitt goalpost in 1982 - got pinned between the post and the stadium wall as they were trying to get thru the tunnel.

There are many forms of quitting in life. I miss DeSanto btw. He was entertaining

RBY had far fewer losses than ADS. Was his daddy for much of their careers. Literally scared Austin into quitting on national TV.

And he was pinned fewer times in his career than Spencer Lee.

And he never quit, which you can’t say for either ADS or Spencer.

Of all the things you could have chosen to try to make your limpdick point, you picked one of the worst.

Oof.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT