ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Old Guy" stories

June 6, 1944 - Omaha Beach

I wanted to save this post for today, mainly as a tribute to Coach Bill Koll but also to pay homage to all of the men who put their lives on the line to put an end to one of the most evil regimes in all of history.

As everyone well knows, today is the 80th anniversary of the Allied landings at Normandy in Northern France. It was one of the largest and most ambitious operations of WW2, and Bill Koll was right there in the thick of it. A lot of what I say here is an interpolation of what he went through as he was very reticent about any of his experiences in WW2. My interpolation is based on the record of events that took place. However, I sent an email to Coach Rob Koll at UNC, and he was gratious enough to tell me what little he knew about his dad's experience.

Coach Koll was assigned to the 149th Combat Engineer Battalion that supported the 116th Infantry Regiment. The 116th was one of the first groups of men to land on Omaha Beach at H-Hour which was scheduled to occur at 6:30 am. The 149th was scheduled to come in as several different groups between 40 to 120 minutes after the first assault groups landed. I don't know what was the exact time that Koll landed, but all of these groups were considered to be part of the first wave. They were the guys who received the worst from the German defenses.

According to Rob Koll, his dad's landing craft was stopped in deeper water and the guys had to jump off in water over their heads. Some of the men drowned because of the heavy equipment they were carrying. Bill Koll almost went down too, but a random big wave came in an lifted him up and drove him in to a spot where he was able to stand. From there, he was able to make it up onto the beach.

What happened after that is not known. He probably scrambled to the shingled beach wall to gather himself together before working to accomplish his mission. However, I do remember reading a first hand account given by a WW2 vet who was also at Omaha beach. He said something about a guy who was a wrestler grabbing a machine gun and firing back at the Germans. Whether or not that was Bill Koll, I have no idea, but considering that Koll was a pretty impressive wrestler, it's interesting that the vet made a specific point about another soldier on the beach being a wrestler.

What we do know is that he made it through the war and came back to the US to win 3 NCAA titles, being named 2X Outstanding Wrestler. His college record was 73-0 which means there are TWO Penn State coaches with an undefeated college record! He also represented the US on the Olympic team in 1948. We will always associate the name of Bill Koll with wrestling, however, to my way of thinking, what he went through on that day 80 years ago makes a wrestling match look like a walk in the park. Let's never forget that Bill Koll was also a WW2 hero.
Great post AgSurfer, thank you!

I was on a tin can not real big as ships go we hit a hurricane and wow it was like we were a cork in the ocean luckily that was the only one we hit and when you get in the middle it was like a nice summer day I couldn't believe it!

I was on a tin can not real big as ships go we hit a hurricane and wow it was like we were a cork in the ocean luckily that was the only one we hit and when you get in the middle it was like a nice summer day I couldn't believe it!
I’ve not heard the term “tin can”
In a very long time. My dad was a gunner on a tin can and shot at Kamikazes several times in choice locations like Tarawa. His ship got nipped by tumbling kamikaze and he lived to tell me about it.

In a very long time. My dad was a gunner on a tin can and shot at Kamikazes several times in choice locations like Tarawa. His ship got nipped by tumbling kamikaze and he lived to tell me about it.
Amazing that you and many others were given life by sheer good luck and untold thousands and millions never had a chance for life because of sheer bad luck. It's humbling when you think about it.

Reactions: baccafarmer
I was a gunners mate as well!when we were anchored off the coast of Nam we always had 2 guys on watch at night we had to throw grenades in the water once in while to keep divers from putting a bomb on the bottom of the ship!

… today is the 80th anniversary of the Allied landings at Normandy in Northern France. It was one of the largest and most ambitious operations of WW2, …
Right on! And Cael Sanderson is one of the best NCAA wrestling coaches of the last 10 years! 😉😀

Last edited:
Reactions: baccafarmer
I should have posted this yesterday. I’ll do it in Spyker format. How many of you guys know what it means?

RANGERS, LEAD THE WAY!!!!!

I always associate the terms “good luck” and “bad luck” with pure random chance, but maybe I misinterpreted what you meant. Wouldn’t be the first time!
No big deal and I had forgotten the exchange until I just saw it. People often make their own luck, whether good or bad. You know what they say. The luckiest people are the most prepared. Pure randon luck is getting a flat tire on the way to the airport and missing the flight that crashes two hours later. Some would call that God's Will, but from my lowly perch it looks a lot like exceptionally good luck.

No big deal and I had forgotten the exchange until I just saw it. People often make their own luck, whether good or bad. You know what they say. The luckiest people are the most prepared. Pure randon luck is getting a flat tire on the way to the airport and missing the flight that crashes two hours later. Some would call that God's Will, but from my lowly perch it looks a lot like exceptionally good luck.
I may have mentioned this before but I have a friend who is a top level cyclist in CA. While he was training a few years ago, a truck ran a stop sign and he hit it at about 25 mph and broke both legs. He was rushed to the ER and they did a CT scan for internal organ damage. Everything came back OK, but the doctor told him there was a small spot on his kidney that he might want to check out. He had a biopsy done and it was cancer. Since it was small, they just removed part of his kidney and he was fine.

Kidney cancer is deadly and you don’t have any symptoms until it’s too late. As strange as it sounds, the person who ran the stop sign actually saved my friend’s life!

I may have mentioned this before but I have a friend who is a top level cyclist in CA. While he was training a few years ago, a truck ran a stop sign and he hit it at about 25 mph and broke both legs. He was rushed to the ER and they did a CT scan for internal organ damage. Everything came back OK, but the doctor told him there was a small spot on his kidney that he might want to check out. He had a biopsy done and it was cancer. Since it was small, they just removed part of his kidney and he was fine.

Kidney cancer is deadly and you don’t have any symptoms until it’s too late. As strange as it sounds, the person who ran the stop sign actually saved my friend’s life!
Kidney cancer might have no glaring symptoms but you know something just isn't right. Ask him if he had a gut feeling and didn't get it checked out. CT scan for anyone should be available at least every 5 years.

Reactions: AgSurfer
isnt this the Army Creed/Motto or something like that??
It’s the Rangers motto. The story of its origin is pretty cool. Here’s the story right out of Wikipedia:

The motto "Rangers lead the way!" dates from 6 June 1944, during the Normandy Landings on Dog White sector of Omaha Beach. Then Brigadier General Norman Cota (assistant CO of the 29th ID) calmly walked towards Maj. Max Schneider (CO of the 5th Ranger Battalion) while under heavy machine gun fire and asked "What outfit is this?" Someone yelled "5th Rangers!" To this, Cota replied "Well then Goddammit, Rangers! Lead the way!"[24]

This was the beginning of where the troops moved up through one of the draws and came around behind the Germans. Once the beach exit was opened, the German defense began to collapse. I’m sure that Bill Koll was a witness and possible participant for all of these events.

BTW, General Cota is the character who was played by Robert Mitchum in The Longest Day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT