ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Old Guy" stories

Here’s an old guy story - my grandfather was stationed at Pearl Harbor (Schofield Barracks, I believe) on December 7th 1941. He was sitting on the shi!!er reading the Sunday paper when a couple of Zeros staffed the barracks.

He went on island hopping through the war as the US pushed back the Japanese in the Pacific.
My grandfather also was an island hopper during ww2. One day they were ambushed by enemy forces and my grandfather was in control of a bunker that had about 10 people in it. Well as the fighting continued a soldier threw a gernade out of the opening in the side of the bunker. Gernades don’t go off right as they hit ground, there’s a bit of a delay to them. Anyhow the gernade that was tossed out was tossed back in killing everyone in the bunker except my grandpa.

50 plus years later the shrapnel from the gernade that was all throughout my grandfathers body, started to move causing an infection. Due to his age and health the infection couldn’t be stopped. It ended up taking his life.

War is a SOB, and the guys that fought in ww2 and Vietnam and all subsequent wars are tough as hell.

Here’s an old guy story - my grandfather was stationed at Pearl Harbor (Schofield Barracks, I believe) on December 7th 1941. He was sitting on the shi!!er reading the Sunday paper when a couple of Zeros staffed the barracks.

He went on island hopping through the war as the US pushed back the Japanese in the Pacific.
So the only reason you're alive is because someone took a sh!t? What a shitty story lol. Just kidding.

Last edited:
my Uncle was an officer in the Airforce in WW2 he flew these giant planes that only 4 other guys were qualified to fly any ways after the bomb was dropped he was the first to fly over the damage and take photos!
I only hate reading these stories because I fear we are losing our history once these heros die and their voices are silenced. I remember my 3/4 indian grandmother talking to us about her parents. "My mother was a squaw and my father was a half breed". He was half German. The good old days of truly free thought and speech. I wish I had asked her many more questions and she's been gone 45 years.

Last edited:
My grandfather also was an island hopper during ww2. One day they were ambushed by enemy forces and my grandfather was in control of a bunker that had about 10 people in it. Well as the fighting continued a soldier threw a gernade out of the opening in the side of the bunker. Gernades don’t go off right as they hit ground, there’s a bit of a delay to them. Anyhow the gernade that was tossed out was tossed back in killing everyone in the bunker except my grandpa.

50 plus years later the shrapnel from the gernade that was all throughout my grandfathers body, started to move causing an infection. Due to his age and health the infection couldn’t be stopped. It ended up taking his life.

War is a SOB, and the guys that fought in ww2 and Vietnam and all subsequent wars are tough as hell.
WOW. Incredible story. I knew I liked you for a reason.

My uncle was a Marine during WW2 and participated in the island hopping. Never wounded, landed on multiple islands. Never, ever would talk about anything seen or done. My mom, MSN with a ton of psych experience, always said the brother who went to war and the brother who returned were 2 strangers with nothing in common.

WOW. Incredible story. I knew I liked you for a reason.
Haha thanks.

He’s the same guy that got me into wrestling. I spent the night with him. That night we watched Iowa vs Ok st on pbs. At some point there was a little mouse running in between his brick chimney and a bedroom door. He gave me a shoe and posted me on one side while he took the other shoe and sat at the other side. We took turns wacking at as it ran back and forth. Haha. We’d laugh at that on and off over the years.

Anyways, fast forward ten or so years and I’m a sophomore wrestling states and I was down 4 entering the third period to a guy I should have never been losing to. After the second period I’m gassed and my heads a mess. Like what the hell is going on. I look up to my family and I see grandpa and he’s got a balled up fist for a right hand and punches it into the open palm of his left. That was the symbol we used while play acting that night with the mouse. Just seeing that took so much pressure off me. 10 seconds into the third I hit a dump and pin the guy. Look back at grandpa and make the same gesture back to him.

Got so much to thank that man for.

Tet was hell. There's a poster on here that goes by the name Paleryder. He was in the battle of Hue City during the Tet offensive.

Thankfully, I deployed a year after Tet.
Yep. We were pretty much caught with our pants down. When the fighting started I was stationed on a base outside of Hue. We were sent in with the orders to "quell a minor uprising". Hell, most of us went there wearing sneakers, our weapons and very little ammo let alone water and k-rats. We soon found out it was a first class shit-show where we were fighting street by street and house by house.

There were actually two sections of Hue that were separated by a river; the Southern city and the "Old city". There was a citadel in the old city where the VC made their last stand. They had .50 cals and snipers in the towers and those guys were tearing us to shreds. Because Hue was a holy city, we had orders forbidding us from having air support or arty and we were sitting ducks for about three of the four weeks we fought there. They finally lifted the order and man, it was just in time.

The enemy blew up the bridge connecting the two sections so we had to enter the old city on LST's. We had all our ammo and explosives crated on the deck and we were sitting on that as we crossed. The VC starting lobbing arty at us and one well placed shell would have blown us all away. Needless to say we made it across but man it seemed like that ride took forever.

The battle of Hue hell.

My FIL spent the rest of his life not being able to walk on a sandy beach because it reminded him of his service. When they would vacation at the ocean, he'd sit on the balcony and drink beer the entire stay. Never discussed Nam. He was actually in intelligence before things became so bad he was forced to the front lines. The things we made him do in intelligence. It was unspeakable. I can't imagine what that would be like as a 20 year old. I'm old enough to remember Nam. You guys are to be honored.

I had a great Uncle who went to the Pacific Theater as a Marine. He was the sole survivor of his unit there and his final assignment was Hiroshima Sept-Oct. He came home and he and my Aunt had a little girl who was born with what was diagnosed as spina bifida, She only lived 9 months. I have to wonder if that hot ground was the cause.

He spent the rest of his life working in Bridgeport Ct, until he retired and moved "home" to be near his siblings and my Aunt's relatives siblings. The only time he talked about the war that I remember was an expression of the unbelievable ferocity of the Japanese troops as if they were happy to die to reduce your bullet count by one. My grandmother called him once about a HC special on Tarawa and he said was "Helen, thanks but once was enough". I guess he was thinking something else.

There was something about him, even when he was in his late 70's he commanded respect, even though he was all in all, not terrible physically imposing or aggressive. It was a quiet inner strength-and that anchor globe and eagle tattoo on hi forearm.

He died from a heart attack in a grocery store. Only after he passed did we find out that he was getting clean bills of health but having to stop to catch his breath on his daily walk.

The only guy I knew from Nam was an adult student at PSU Hazelton. Those guys in some ways had it worse than WW2 vets with the war having nebulous objectives and I recall my classmate telling me that after he got back he was called a "baby killer" in a job interview where the sole purpose was to heap abuse on him. I was at a complete loss of words at that account.

There's really nothing I can offer but respect to those that made it so that in my late teens until my late 20's, we though war was obsolete. Then came Iraq.

My FIL spent the rest of his life not being able to walk on a sandy beach because it reminded him of his service. When they would vacation at the ocean, he'd sit on the balcony and drink beer the entire stay. Never discussed Nam. He was actually in intelligence before things became so bad he was forced to the front lines. The things we made him do in intelligence. It was unspeakable. I can't imagine what that would be like as a 20 year old. I'm old enough to remember Nam. You guys are to be honored.
I had one friend on the ship was a hells angel for some reason he was begging to transfer to shore duty well he finally got his way and got a message only 2 days later he had been killed in a firefight I was depressed for a time !!

Yep. We were pretty much caught with our pants down. When the fighting started I was stationed on a base outside of Hue. We were sent in with the orders to "quell a minor uprising". Hell, most of us went there wearing sneakers, our weapons and very little ammo let alone water and k-rats. We soon found out it was a first class shit-show where we were fighting street by street and house by house.

There were actually two sections of Hue that were separated by a river; the Southern city and the "Old city". There was a citadel in the old city where the VC made their last stand. They had .50 cals and snipers in the towers and those guys were tearing us to shreds. Because Hue was a holy city, we had orders forbidding us from having air support or arty and we were sitting ducks for about three of the four weeks we fought there. They finally lifted the order and man, it was just in time.

The enemy blew up the bridge connecting the two sections so we had to enter the old city on LST's. We had all our ammo and explosives crated on the deck and we were sitting on that as we crossed. The VC starting lobbing arty at us and one well placed shell would have blown us all away. Needless to say we made it across but man it seemed like that ride took forever.

The battle of Hue hell.
I went to "nam in 2019 with my brother when he retired. He was stationed in Quang Tri and Khe Sanh in early 1971. We flew into Hanoi and spent two days decompressing (went to Ha Long Bay, which was awesome). We then flew to Da Nang and stayed in a hotel in Hue. We chose that because it has good hotels and restaurants. We hired a driver and visited Quang Tri, went over past "the rockpile" and Khe Sanh. This is a museum and coffee farm now. The museum curator was waiting for us, I don't know how he knew we were coming, and never left my brother's side. My brother told several stories that I'd never heard. The prompting by the curator got him going. He turned to me and said he'd not remembered these things for 40 years. On the road parallel to what was once the DMZ, my brother pointed out a place where two friends were killed trying to repair a broken down tank. We also visit a forward firebase where a friend's father was killed in an ambush when his wife was pregnant with my friend. I took a photo and sent it to him. There was a small area where locals lit incense. We then went over the DMZ and visited the Vinh Moc Tunnels. Amazing.

We finished back where we started: the JW Marriott in Hanoi. What we didn't know was that the communist party was having a convention at the nearby conversion center. Security was very high. We were scared to death, with my brother being a former Army person who fought them. What happened was the opposite of what we expected. In Hanoi, Hue, Quang Tri and Da Nang people would stop us and ask if they could take a picture with them. People would send over deserts and discount our bill. It was amazing and, I think, cathartic for my brother.

486805810.jpg

Last edited:
my Uncle was an officer in the Airforce in WW2 he flew these giant planes that only 4 other guys were qualified to fly any ways after the bomb was dropped he was the first to fly over the damage and take photos!
I think maybe what my Uncle took pics of kind of rattled him of course I didn't know him back then but he always seemed to be on the edge but he lived to be 100 god bless him!

My high school wood shop teacher served in Vietnam. I knew because I knew his sons well. One day some of the boys were talking about hunting and how much they loved to hunt anything that moved. From birds to deer, elk and moose. They were going on and on about it. They started in on why the teacher didn't hunt. He calmly ignored them for a couple class periods. Then on the third day of the interrogation from the mighty hunters, our teacher turned to us and said, "When you hunt another human in the jungle that hunts back you will never be the same." The discussion was over. I still see this teacher on occasion and thank him for the life lessons.

Were you on a carrier? I mentioned before on here that I went to a PA prep school - Mercersburg Academy. One of my classmates was a guy named Jim Stockdale. He always seemed a little edgy, like something was bothering him all the time. I finally asked one of the other guys what was going on with him and he told me that Jim's dad had been shot down over Vietnam and he had not heard anything about him for two years. That was the same Jim Stockdale that was awarded the Medal of Honor for leading the POWs during the war. He's one of my all time heroes. I can't begin to imagine what he went through.
Thank you for reminding me of the Stockdale Paradox. A model to persist through pain and uncertainty.

• Be wary of high expectations set by positivity and short-term optimism.
The Stockdale Paradox challenges the idea that you should simply be positive and optimistic when facing challenges and ambiguity, noting that such attitudes can create unrealistic expectations that will ultimately disappoint.

• Confront the brutal reality of your current situation.
This model is a reminder to avoid denial or false positivity, and encourages you to face your current reality. This involves acknowledging how bad or painful that reality is and investing in anything in your power to make a difference.

• The final essential part of this model is to keep long-term faith that you will prevail.
Rather than short-term optimism, nurture the confidence that you will get through this period of challenge, no matter how long it takes. This represents a form of long-term optimism or faith in the ultimate outcome.

Thanks for this. I remembered the first rule, but forgot the historical context. On a side note, for this who know the Bible well, notice how these three principles are firmly rooted in scripture and the teachings of Jesus.

Thank you for reminding me of the Stockdale Paradox. A model to persist through pain and uncertainty.

• Be wary of high expectations set by positivity and short-term optimism.
The Stockdale Paradox challenges the idea that you should simply be positive and optimistic when facing challenges and ambiguity, noting that such attitudes can create unrealistic expectations that will ultimately disappoint.

• Confront the brutal reality of your current situation.
This model is a reminder to avoid denial or false positivity, and encourages you to face your current reality. This involves acknowledging how bad or painful that reality is and investing in anything in your power to make a difference.

• The final essential part of this model is to keep long-term faith that you will prevail.
Rather than short-term optimism, nurture the confidence that you will get through this period of challenge, no matter how long it takes. This represents a form of long-term optimism or faith in the ultimate outcome.
Wow! Thanks for posting. I had forgotten about his point of wisdom that he gained from his experience. I remember he said something about how the guys who were overly optimistic about their situation in the Hanoi Hilton were the ones who didn't make it. Evidently when they were finally forced to accept reality, it was too much for them to handle.

Like I said earlier, he's one of my ultimate heroes. Unfortunately, even though I went to school with his son, I never got to meet him in person. I missed a perfect opportunity once in San Diego when he and his wife were available at some convention to sign copies of their book that gave the history of their experience. I didn't find out about it until about a day or two later.

not to mention he wrestled the same weight as Magoon and McCall 2 state champs from Strong Vincent just couldn't quite get by those 2!!
My brother lost in the state semi's on RT to the kid from Kittanning that lost to McCall in the finals at 103. That was '62. In '63, Magoon lost the state finals at 103 to a kid from Neshaminy who my brother beat twice. In '64 Magoon lost to Sherm Hostler of Newport in the finals at 103. It was one of the greatest finals I've ever seen. Constant movement. Both wrestlers shot it all. Hostler. a sophomore, was greeted by his wife and kids when he walked off the mat. In '65, I lost in the semi-finals at 103. Kind of a theme going here.

My brother lost in the state semi's on RT to the kid from Kittanning that lost to McCall in the finals at 103. That was '62. In '63, Magoon lost the state finals at 103 to a kid from Neshaminy who my brother beat twice. In '64 Magoon lost to Sherm Hostler of Newport in the finals at 103. It was one of the greatest finals I've ever seen. Constant movement. Both wrestlers shot it all. Hostler. a sophomore, was greeted by his wife and kids when he walked off the mat. In '65, I lost in the semi-finals at 103. Kind of a theme going here.
I wrestled a few good kids Turnball the head coach at

I wrestled some good kids future head coach at West Virginia Turnball we tied 1-1 both escapes he didn't try a TD the whole match it was at Iroquois' home match the ref never got close to calling a stall!I was not happy!

Man you are definitely talking some PA wrestling history there! I remember Hostler being married with kids when he was in high school. I always thought of Newport as the kind of place where you might see a mentally disadvantaged guy sitting on a porch playing a banjo, but they did produce some good wrestlers. Wasn’t Jeremy Hunter from Newport?

Anyone who is old enough to remember the 1967 PIAA finals would know there was some serious competition there. There were two future NCAA champions, three future NCAA finalists and at least five or six AAs. Tullfan68 already mentioned Geoff Baum who beat Fletcher Carr in the finals. Baum went on to win two NCAA titles at OK State. Then there were future Penn State stars Clyde Frantz and Andy Matter who met in the finals at 138. Frantz got the best of Matter that day but Matter went on to win two NCAA titles. Frantz didn’t win a championship title but I know he placed 3rd one year and was a really good wrestler during his time at Penn State. Matter and Frantz were also good friends as well as teammates.

At Hwy, Dave Joiner won the title in 67 and later went on to be an NCAA finalist for Penn State. I think he was also named to the 1st team All American for football too. I don’t know where he stood with regards to the NFL draft, but he chose to opt out and became a very well known orthopedic surgeon.

Last, but not least, the big match of the night was returning state champion Al Uyeda vs returning state champion Larry Rippey from Lock Haven. Rippey had moved up a weight class for his senior year and destroyed most of his opponents going into the state finals. Uyeda was back at the same weight and was also undefeated going into the finals. Everyone expected a really good match but Rippey was way too much for Uyeda and had him on his back for almost half the match. Rippey went on to AA in college when he went to Lock Haven.

There were other guys who were in the 1967 finals that ended up being good college wrestlers too, but those were the names I remember best. One other name that I remember was Dana Balum who was the starter for Penn State at 134 for several seasons.

Last edited:
Man you are definitely talking some PA wrestling history there! I remember Hostler being married with kids when he was in high school. I always thought of Newport as the kind of place where you might see a mentally disadvantaged guy sitting on a porch playing a banjo, but they did produce some good wrestlers. Wasn’t Jeremy Hunter from Newport?

Anyone who is old enough to remember the 1967 PIAA finals would know there was some serious competition there. There were two future NCAA champions, three future NCAA finalists and at least five or six AAs. Tullfan68 already mentioned Geoff Baum who beat Fletcher Carr in the finals. Baum went on to win two NCAA titles at OK State. Then there were future Penn State stars Clyde Frantz and Andy Matter who met in the finals at 138. Frantz got the best of Matter that day but Matter went on to win two NCAA titles. Frantz didn’t win a championship title but I know he placed 3rd one year and was a really good wrestler during his time at Penn State. Matter and Frantz were also good friends as well as teammates.

At Hwy, Dave Joiner won the title in 67 and later went on to be an NCAA finalist for Penn State. I think he was also named to the 1st team All American for football too. I don’t know where he stood with regards to the NFL draft, but he chose to opt out and became a very well known orthopedic surgeon.

Last, but not least, the big match of the night was returning state champion Al Uyeda vs returning state champion Larry Rippey from Lock Haven. Rippey had moved up a weight class for his senior year and destroyed most of his opponents going into the state finals. Uyeda was back at the same weight and was also undefeated going into the finals. Everyone expected a really good match but Rippey was way too much for Uyeda and had him on his back for almost half the match. Rippey went on to AA in college when he went to Lock Haven.

There were other guys who were in the 1967 finals that ended up being good college wrestlers too, but those were the names I remember best. One other name that I remember was Dana Balum who was the starter for Penn State at 134 for several seasons.
yes I was there to watch FLETCH many great finals that yr,did you know Baum went down a weight his senior yr at OK ST I think they had a real good kid at his weight from the previous yr so he either couldn't beat him out or just went down for the team not really sure!

Reactions: AgSurfer
WTH? It's farm country! Besides, you're hitting pretty close to home. Geographically speaking, I mean.
70S Banjo GIF
Sorry - I should have used some kind of sarcasm emoji. I didn't mean that seriously, but I can see you got my reference about the banjo player. 👍

Refresh my memory. Was Jeremy Hunter from Newport? That is my recollection.

yes I was there to watch FLETCH many great finals that yr,did you know Baum went down a weight his senior yr at OK ST I think they had a real good kid at his weight from the previous yr so he either couldn't beat him out or just went down for the team not really sure!
You're talking about the 1970-71 season. I know Ok State did a lot of juggling of weights that year. One of the big reasons was that Roderick brought in Yoshiro Fujita from Japan who was possibly as good as Uetake. I heard he had one win over Uetake in a freestyle match somewhere. With Fujita at 126, the Keller twins moved up to 134 and 142 to fill out those weights. I don't know the reason for Baum changing weights. It might have been because Ben Peterson at Iowa State was getting better and Roderick felt Baum's chances were better at 177. Peterson went on to win the Olympic gold medal in 1972.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT