amattaro

Sep 12, 2017

To fuel the speculation:
SVN 2 @ 149
Kasak 4 @ 157
Levi 2 @ 174

When does the schedule come out?

Reactions: mcpat
Something clicked for Kasak at nationals. I wouldn’t want to be at 157 this year. I could see him going into Zain beast mode his last three years.

Reactions: Ski
Here is their most recent high school rankings for the upcoming season:

#5 Nate Desmond - 126
#7 Dalton Perry - 138
#1 PJ Duke - 157
#3 Asher Cunningham - 165
#2 Will Henckel - 175

Pound for Pound:
#1 Marcus Blaze - 132
#2 Jax Forrest - 132
#3 PJ Duke
#4 Bo Bassett - 144
#8 Will Henckel

I tell you ... I don't see Teemer and Buchanan both winning but obviously I see Ben AA'ing.

Other projections for Iowa
Drake 3 (probably fair start)
Parco 4
Caliendo 2
Gabe 6
Nelson 5

Penn State's rankings has

Nobody at 125 (keep in mind it's rankings)
Nagao 8 (I think Davis would settle in around there also)
Bartlett 3 (fair)
SVN 2
Kasak 4
Mesenbrink 1
Levi 2
Carter 1
Cochran 21
Greg 1

Bartlett 3 (fair)
SVN 2
Kasak 4
Mesenbrink 1
Levi 2
Carter 1
Cochran 21
Greg 1
I don't want to sound like an Iowa fan but we have a shot at 10 AAs this year. LL at 125 and Barr at 197.

I want to compare and contrast Ayala and Davis since it seems they are talked about as completely different levels right now. Part of it is is the fact Drake 100% wrestles a more exciting style (when he shoots at least) H2H Ayala obviously has the 4-2 win at Carver (where he just dipped to a knee after scoring the first TD)

The narrative on the two of them changed significantly based on NCAAs which is fair but as we know 125 was a mixed bag last year. Ayala as the 3 drew Spratley in the QF and Barnett (who Braeden has obviously beaten) in the SF, Davis as the 1 drew eventual national champ Richie Figs in the quarters and Jore Volk in the BR. Ayala does have a win over Volk but it was extremely close (4-2 and Volk looked like he easily could have earned 2 at any point in a final scramble, similar to how Braeden looked like he could have had the TD against Volk but was funked)

Does Braeden beat Spratley? No guarantees but I like that a lot more than Figs in the QF then obvious he has a win over Barnett. As a result, you have a finalist vs a R12 kid but I'm not convinced the gap is as large as people make it, especially since one was a Top Recruit in his 3rd year in the room compared to an unheralded true freshman.

Last edited:

Bartlett 3 (fair)
SVN 2
Kasak 4
Mesenbrink 1
Levi 2
Carter 1
Cochran 21
Greg 1
Add Lilledahl at 125 and Barr at 197 and I could see all 10 weights being top 4 seeds at NCAA’s with 3 1’s and 3 2’s.

I want to compare and contrast Ayala and Davis since it seems they are talked about as completely different levels right now. Part of it is is the fact Drake 100% wrestles a more exciting style (when he shoots at least) H2H Ayala obviously has the 4-2 win at Carver (where he just dipped to a knee after scoring the first TD)

The narrative on the two of them changed significantly based on NCAAs which is fair but as we know 125 was a mixed bag last year. Ayala as the 3 drew Spratley in the QF and Barnett (who Braeden has obviously beaten) in the SF, Davis as the 1 drew eventual national champ Richie Figs in the quarters and Jore Volk in the BR. Ayala does have a win over Volk but it was extremely close (4-2 and Volk looked like he easily could have earned 2 at any point in a final scramble, similar to how Braeden looked like he could have had the TD against Volk but was funked)

Does Braeden beat Spratley? No guarantees but I like that a lot more than Figs in the QF then obvious he has a win over Barnett. As a result, you have a finalist vs a R12 kid but I'm not convinced the gap is as large as people make it, especially since one was a Top Recruit in his 3rd year in the room compared to an unheralded true freshman.
Did you actually see them wrestle at nationals, watching Davis wrestle was painful. He needed to get after it and he didn’t . No matter how you draw the brackets he wasn’t going to AA wrestling like that

Reactions: lookleft goright
Did you actually see them wrestle at nationals, watching Davis wrestle was painful. He needed to get after it and he didn’t . No matter how you draw the brackets he wasn’t going to AA wrestling like that
Hmmm. I might have seen at least one or two PSU wrestlers improve just a little in their second year. Vague recollection in there somewhere.

If you believe a sophomore is going to wrestle like a true freshman, then I see your point.

Ahh, actually not at all.

Did Davis' big tens impress, even a little? At Nationals he lost to the champ in a very close one.

I think your post has zero chance of an AA!

Hmmm. I might have seen at least one or two PSU wrestlers improve just a little in their second year. Vague recollection in there somewhere.

If you believe a sophomore is going to wrestle like a true freshman, then I see your point.

Ahh, actually not at all.

Did Davis' big tens impress, even a little? At Nationals he lost to the champ in a very close one.

I think your post has zero chance of an AA!
I came across this quote today and wish I could remember who said to give proper credit but it said “ when you are dead you don’t know you are dead. It is only painful for others. The same applies when you are stupid”

Braeden had a tough pull at national at 125. I don’t expect the same issues at 133. At all.
Davis' issue at 133 is the same as everyone else's: Crookham.

After that, there are about 8-10 podium contenders, some with a shot at the finals. IMO Davis is firmly in that group. It's a very deep weight, but one he should place in, and possibly place highly.

After that, there are about 8-10 podium contenders, some with a shot at the finals. IMO Davis is firmly in that group. It's a very deep weight, but one he should place in, and possibly place highly.
Agreed. My comment was that Braeden will not be the same guy at 133 that we saw at nationals last year. 4-6 AA is my hope.

Reactions: El-Jefe

Crookham had tough cut last year. It doesn't get easier the older you get.
Just sayin

Reactions: Nitlion1986
I think the biggest challenge/obstacle for Davis is his square stance in neutral. It’s not conducive to scoring points so he’s reduced to counter offense in neutral or winning close matches based on riding time. When you’re always in 1-2 point matches, you’re going to be on the wrong end of it occasionally- more so against good wrestlers who have good coaches that develop good game plans. I think the weight pull to 25 was tough last year so 33 may lead to more offense, but opening up is more mental than it is physical or weight-related.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT