ADVERTISEMENT

Flo’s 2024/2025 way early rankings

My son and I were talking a couple days ago about Penn State's chances in a dual meet against everyone else. We concluded a PSU win, given a mild upset or two in its favor, would not be out of the question.
How did u conclude this?? PSU would be favored in 3 matches(3 #1) and the other 7 would be the field… even if u gave 125 to LL its still 4 matches to 6 as underdogs… and rightfully so against… everyone!!

Reactions: hlstone
How did u conclude this?? PSU would be favored in 3 matches(3 #1) and the other 7 would be the field… even if u gave 125 to LL its still 4 matches to 6 as underdogs… and rightfully so against… everyone!!
You need to read the whole paragraph. Helping you below. That makes it 5:5 or 6:4 PSU. Not beyond possibilities. Better than Rutgers being a perennial top 10 wrestling program. 😝

given a mild upset or two in its favor, would not be out of the question

I would take

125 Lilledahl
149 Van Ness
157 Mesenbrink
165 Haines
184 or 197 Starocci
285 Kerk

I don't think our lineup shakes out like that, but if it does...

Take the 4 and you are left with 1 or 2 mild upsets among Van Ness, Kasak and Haines. One happens and if PSU wins the bonus battle it wins the match. Two happen and PSU wins. It's not out of the question.

Reactions: District four
Take the 4 and you are left with 1 or 2 mild upsets among Van Ness, Kasak and Haines. One happens and if PSU wins the bonus battle it wins the match. Two happen and PSU wins. It's not out of the question.
Ofc it would not be out of the question.. PSU has 3 #1 along with 3 other in top 3(and assuming these can count as possible wins). I misread it and thought u wrote PSU would be a fav against the field.. that PSU would win the hypothetical dual.. but u framed it as it’s possible**. Well duh ofc it is when u have 6 wrestlers ranked in top 3

Ofc it would not be out of the question.. PSU has 3 #1 along with 3 other in top 3(and assuming these can count as possible wins). I misread it and thought u wrote PSU would be a fav against the field.. that PSU would win the hypothetical dual.. but u framed it as it’s possible**. Well duh ofc it is when u have 6 wrestlers ranked in top 3
By year's end it will probably be more like 8 or 9 in the top 3.

PSU vs All-Stars
Luke vs Figs - Toss-up (Davis lost to RF 3-2)
Nagao vs Crookham - Dec All-Stars
Beau vs Alirez - Dec All-Stars
SVN vs Henson - Dec PSU (SVN won 5-3 two years ago)
Mitch vs Teemer - Dec PSU
Levi vs O'Toole - Toss-up
Facundo vs Welsh - Dec All-stars (But 2-1 matches can go either way)
Barr vs Keck - Dec All-stars
Star vs Buchanan - Dec PSU
Kerk vs Hendrickson - Dec PSU

4-4 with 2 toss-ups. Great match for Beaver Stadium.

Then you have to account for PSUs record at nationals and the ability of the coaches to scout opponents.

PSU vs All-Stars

O'Toole is 174 this year. If Levi goes 165 he is winning it going away. (Cue some Iowa fan - hint, hint @js8793 - telling me Caliendo has a shot at beating Levi. Lolololol)

Considering we are getting bonus in this dual, we win it whether Luke beats Richie Figs or not. But he will.

Better question is if Carter goes 184, can Mirasola make enough progress on the mat to contend by March?

The 10 NCs has been an ongoing joke for a few years, but Cael just keeps his head down and making progress towards it.

I'd love to see Starocci beat Keckheisen for his 5th, it's a better matchup than anyone he'd see at 197. I'd also LOVE to see Haines vs. KOT but it's crazy for him to jump two weights and be at a size disadvantage.

I'd love to see Starocci beat Keckheisen for his 5th, it's a better matchup than anyone he'd see at 197. I'd also LOVE to see Haines vs. KOT but it's crazy for him to jump two weights and be at a size disadvantage.
Disagree ... I think Parker PFP is way better than anyone at 197. It would be a size/strenth issue if anything.

PSU vs All-Stars

Luke matches up very well with Figs
Crookham
Alirez
SVN
Mitch-but see him at 165
O'Toole--O'Toole at 174 Levi either RS or 174
Welsh, but I see O'Toole at 174
Keck
Star
Kerk

PSU 5-5.

PSU's strongest lineup is having Starocci at 184 and Mirasola at 197.

Lilledahl
Nagao
Bartlett
SVN
MM
Haines
Facundo
Starocci
Mirasola
Kerkvleit
I'm going with a few wrestle-offs that I'd like to see as the "or".

Lilledahl or Howard
Nagao or Davis
Bartlett or Kasak or Evans
SVN or Kasak
MM or Haines or Kasak or Sealey or Ryder
Haines or MM or Ryder or Sealey
Facundo or Haines or Ryder
Starocci or Barr
Mirasola or Starocci or Cochran
Kerkvleit or Mirasola (not ready but a nice test)

So, not much settled in my mind. Should be a pretty good lineup when it's settled. ;):rolleyes:

Lilledahl or Howard
Nagao or Davis
SVN or Kasak
Starocci or Barr

So, not much settled in my mind. Should be a pretty good lineup when it's settled. ;):rolleyes:
I may be wrong, but I don’t see any of the returning National Champions having to do wrestle offs. I think CStar picks his weight and the others adjust around him. Haines situation will be interesting depending on what weight he decides to go at.

Reactions: Nitlion1986

Lilledahl or Howard
Nagao or Davis
SVN or Kasak
Starocci or Barr

If neither MM nor Levi can make 157, their wrestleoff for 165 would be a national finals caliber match. Imagine being a returning undefeated national champ and being the underdog in a wrestleoff for a starting spot in your own room. That’s where we are with this program now. LOL.

Reactions: hlstone
If neither MM nor Levi can make 157, their wrestleoff for 165 would be a national finals caliber match. Imagine being a returning undefeated national champ and being the underdog in a wrestleoff for a starting spot in your own room. That’s where we are with this program now. LOL.
They would never be at the same weight at a wrestle off. One would change weights or Haines would RS.

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT