ADVERTISEMENT

Flo’s 2024/2025 way early rankings

pish69

Jan 11, 2016
NJ--The Shore
Just saw Flo’s early rankings for this coming year. Looks like they guessing at some weights.

They have PSU at 135points (not including bonus). The next closest team was “transfer portal” at 59 points (I believe this is before Wyatt became official at OSU.

This is in weight order from 125 up to HWY. they have Kasak at 157 and Haines at 174

Davis #5 Figueroa #1
Nagao #7 Crookham #1
Beau #3 Alirez #1
Van Ness #2 Henson #1
Kasak #4 Teemer #1
MM #1
Haines #2 O’Toole #1
Barr #24 Keckeisen #1
Cstar #1
Kerk #1

Last edited:
Just saw Flo’s early rankings for this coming year. Looks like they guessing at some weights.

They have PSU at 135points (not including bonus). The next closest team was “transfer portal” at 59 points (I believe this is before Wyatt became official at OSU.

This is in weight order from 125 up to HWY. they have Kasak at 157 and Haines at 174

Davis #5 Figueroa #1
Nagao #7 Crookham #1
Beau #3 Alirez #1
Van Ness #2 Henson #1
Kasak #4 Teemer #1
MM #1
Haines #2 O’Toole #1
Barr #24 Keckeisen #1
Cstar #1
Kerk #1
Lilledahl #1 Figueroa #2

Fixed.

My son and I were talking a couple days ago about Penn State's chances in a dual meet against everyone else. We concluded a PSU win, given a mild upset or two in its favor, would not be out of the question.

Reactions: diggerpup
Does Flo have some inside knowledge of Levi at 74? Any insider info? Not selling Facundo short but the lineup simplifies if Levi gets right in lineup at 74 this year.

There has been no decision made about Levi to 174. I'd be super surprised if he did. He'd be pretty small.

But Levi going 174 hardly simplifies the lineup. That's now 3 top recruits for 1 weight (Levi, Facundo, Ryder).

Good problems to have I guess.

Flo seems to be making their best guess at some of these weights, but they aren’t projecting Lightning Luke at 125??? 🧐🤔. Perhaps because then they’d have to go out on a limb to rank Luke.

Flo seems to be making their best guess at some of these weights, but they aren’t projecting Lightning Luke at 125??? 🧐🤔. Perhaps because then they’d have to go out on a limb to rank Luke.
They can't rank Luke.

They only factor collegiate folkstyle results for their rankings.

For instance - Gable was ranked prior to his true freshman year because he had collegiate wins as a senior in high school (daktronics open).

They can't rank Luke.

They only factor collegiate folkstyle results for their rankings.

For instance - Gable was ranked prior to his true freshman year because he had collegiate wins as a senior in high school (daktronics open).
Luke beat Jax Forrest who beat Luke Stanich

Have to start him #1 if we want to be fair

Reactions: District four
They don't do that.

You actually have to beat the guy. Which is must better way to rank.
giphy.gif

Flo or Intermat should start a ranking for coaches. It's intuitively obvious that by default, the Penn State staff should get the #1 position, but #2 to #10 could be pretty contentious. Objective criteria can be used such as team placement at NCAA tournament, team dual record, number of AAs, etc. However, consideration should also be given for things like matside behavior, sportsmanship, quality of recruits, etc. It would be an interesting web page for the fans.

Flo or Intermat should start a ranking for coaches. It's intuitively obvious that by default, the Penn State staff should get the #1 position, but #2 to #10 could be pretty contentious. Objective criteria can be used such as team placement at NCAA tournament, team dual record, number of AAs, etc. However, consideration should also be given for things like matside behavior, sportsmanship, quality of recruits, etc. It would be an interesting web page for the fans.
Tom Ryan would be even busier on Twitter with his nincompoopery

There are a ton of options for PSU at 157 to 174 range. I thought Facundo looked fantastic at OTT although it was freestyle. I also think 174 is a good weight for him compared to making 162 for trials. But want to see him in folk with setups and leg attacks before I'm totally comfortable he will be a factor in folk ....

An impossible task. I could make a case that the coach at Little Rock did more with less than any other coach last year including Cael. New program. Less scholarships. Still was able to take 19th with two AAs. That was seriously good coaching.

An impossible task. I could make a case that the coach at Little Rock did more with less than any other coach last year including Cael. New program. Less scholarships. Still was able to take 19th with two AAs. That was seriously good coaching.
Excellent point! Willie - if you're reading this thread, how about it? Are you willing to try doing a coaches ranking?

Reactions: smalls103
They're fully funded and have 3 big donors. They're actually in a really good spot financially.

Why does everyone keep putting Kasak at 157? Dude was wrestling 141 and 65 KGs until Van Ness got hurt.
Because it seemed like he was a full size 149 by the end of the year. Plus he’s at an age where he could still be growing a bit. I think he can absolutely be a 157 next year if need be. Could be a 149 as well but roster wise it might be necessary for either him or SVN to go up to 157 and Kasak looks the larger of the 2 to my eye

There are a ton of options for PSU at 157 to 174 range. I thought Facundo looked fantastic at OTT although it was freestyle. I also think 174 is a good weight for him compared to making 162 for trials. But want to see him in folk with setups and leg attacks before I'm totally comfortable he will be a factor in folk ....
Seems Facundo has always been considerably better at free than at folk. He was also quite disinclined to mat wrestle in his one season as a PSU starter. Overall, I'm tempering any expectations about Facundo from OTT until I actually see him do well against top college folk style guys.

I think people are underestimating how fast kids (especially Tyler's age) balloon up when they don't intentionally suck down and fight their bodies to be around a weight. Tyler from what I hear was an above average sized (won't say huge) 149 by NCAAs and would be a MASSIVE 149 now. If he wants to go 157, size won't be an issue.

Reactions: District four
Hmmm, Kasak has a shirt, Levi has a shirt, but we bump both up (Levi 17 lbs) so that Facundo who doesn't have a shirt can sit for the second year in a row?

Mich will be throwing money at him and if that's the plan the next portal window is August.

Usually Flo doesn't speculate to this degree without info, but our room feeds them nothing.

I formally call bullshit on that projected lineup, even without opening it up to scrutiny at 125 and 133, for more shit, and piled higher and deeper.

Mich will be throwing money at him and if that's the plan the next portal window is August.
Is there an August window? NCAA modified portal rules including graduate transfers needing to be in by a certain date. There only seems to be one window for wrestling.

Is there an August window? NCAA modified portal rules including graduate transfers needing to be in by a certain date. There only seems to be one window for wrestling.

The August window is the one our fans jump out of when they panic.

Excellent point! Willie - if you're reading this thread, how about it? Are you willing to try doing a coaches ranking?
that would be a bad idea. one of the coaches would murder me. then who the hell would funnel all the talent to psu?

also, the traditional ranking methodology (which i agree with) of not including incoming freshmen is a big reason why...

Crystal Ball > Traditional Rankings

Careful. Only Iowa coaches kids up. Cael and others simply ride the coat-tails of super athletes who already know how to wrestle.

Oh. Nevermind. That's only Cael who can't coach.

Seriously though. Great point, Erisman is impressing.

that would be a bad idea. one of the coaches would murder me. then who the hell would funnel all the talent to psu?

also, the traditional ranking methodology (which i agree with) of not including incoming freshmen is a big reason why...

Crystal Ball > Traditional Rankings
Coaches Hot Take Rankings by Flo ... sounds about right.

Yeah my bad (partially) I got the August reference from Flo. On FLR a week or so ago they were taking about DT at Oky st, and the extended portal window due to John Smith's retirement having already expired as of May 15th. They openly discussed when the next window opens and said August. Oddly enough, they acted like it could be an issue. I doubt any 'starter' level kids would want to leave that program with David coming in the immediate positive impact that hiring is having on the program.

Reactions: therod
He was weighing in at 161 this year when he was wrestling 174. I don't think 157 would be too tough. 149 would be a bitch, though, but I don't think anyone is asking for that.
I thought so to but think Bordeaux would know

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT