ADVERTISEMENT

Willie's Crystal Ball for 2025

I just think, similar to dice, that anyone who picks against Carter in any NCAA match is overthinking it. He hasn't lost in 3 entire seasons and I don't think that changes anytime soon
Carter is the GOAT! He’s lost two matches and redeemed himself vs. both opponents. Going for five after winning two with broken wrist and another on one leg shutting out his elite level competition. Not enough is said about either accomplishment but he is the most competitive wrestler ever. He has bigger aspirations and returned for some NIL and to enjoy himself before he elevates. Good for him. See you in March as Keck, who is outstanding, but won’t have had the training to contend with CStar at the end of the season and that’s all that matters!

Carter is the GOAT! He’s lost two matches and redeemed himself vs. both opponents. Going for five after winning two with broken wrist and another on one leg shutting out his elite level competition. Not enough is said about either accomplishment but he is the most competitive wrestler ever. He has bigger aspirations and returned for some NIL and to enjoy himself before he elevates. Good for him. See you in March as Keck, who is outstanding, but won’t have had the training to contend with CStar at the end of the season and that’s all that matters!
I think Carter's performance at the 2024 NCAAs was one of the greatest performances ever. He shut out three successive champions/finalists. On one leg no less. I'm not sure that's ever been done and needs to be recognized as an incredible feat.

Pardon me if I misunderstood, but I assumed one of the main differences/benefits between the Crystal Ball rankings and the regular Preseason rankings was the Crystal Ball rankings didn’t require a lot of data on head to head matchups.
yes. sure, that's true.

bottom line is, i didn't feel comfortable or confident slotting anyone in at 197.

Reactions: donboy6499
yes. sure, that's true.

bottom line is, i didn't feel comfortable or confident slotting anyone in at 197.
For the record, I'm a big fan of the Crystal Ball format, and especially so with the Brain on the case. I find it way more compelling to know what someone that follows the sport as closely as you do thinks the pecking order is going to be than what some rote formula predicts where judgement only comes into play at the margins. Unless that formula is written by @Unbiased_football_fan, anyway. I'll eat his data any time he wants to share it.

Reactions: smalls103
Willie,

I shouldn’t have used the word troll job. I guess what I meant was I felt like you were undervaluing Penn State by 15 or 20 just to make it seem like the team race was more competitive than it will be. Clearly 148 is an incredible achievement. Here’s my breakdown as of right now.

125- 19 Lilledahl
133- 8 Davis
141- 19 Bartlett
149- 19 SVN
157- 19 Kasak
165- 26 MM
174- 21 Levi
184- 23 Carter
197- 8 Barr
HWT- 23 Kerk

I actually think we could score more points with today’s three-point takedown. My initial projection was 189.5 but I lowered a few just to give me some wiggle room.

yeah. troll job, eye roll, drunk, fishing for clicks, engagement farming......

i don't mind disagreement. i'm not always 100% right.

but give me a break with the fake outrage. it's HR-esque in 'you have ulterior motives!'.

if you think 148pts, in October, is offensive, idk what to tell you other than I'm the Brain, and you are irrational.

Anywho...185 points.....

Nothing in your projections seem unreasonable. But that's 8 Top 3's and 10 AA's. It's the perfect tournament and the best case scenario.

And you you think that it's ME that's on the extreme end?

yeah. troll job, eye roll, drunk, fishing for clicks, engagement farming......

i don't mind disagreement. i'm not always 100% right.

but give me a break with the fake outrage. it's HR-esque in 'you have ulterior motives!'.

if you think 148pts, in October, is offensive, idk what to tell you other than I'm the Brain, and you are irrational.

Anywho...185 points.....

Nothing in your projections seem unreasonable. But that's 8 Top 3's and 10 AA's. It's the perfect tournament and the best case scenario.

And you you think that it's ME that's on the extreme end?
You have 5 Penn State guys in the Finals and you have them losing 3 of the 5 matches. I’m sure someone can supply the winning percentage of Cael’s guys in Finals matches in the past 5 years and I’m also sure it’s a hell of a lot better than 40%.

It’s all in good fun but the statistics are not in your favor.

Willie,

I apologize for saying troll job. Relax. You are still my favorite wrestling journalist. I think you are way under, but it’s ok.

185 does seem crazy, but I don’t think my projections are nuts except maybe 125. But I think Luke is that good.

It’s a fun discussion. Drink a Bud Heavy and be happy. Wrestling season is almost here.

I think Carter's performance at the 2024 NCAAs was one of the greatest performances ever. He shut out three successive champions/finalists. On one leg no less. I'm not sure that's ever been done and needs to be recognized as an incredible feat.
Please get the story right …. The only time that is an incredible feat is if the initials are SL and you wrestle for Iowa

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT