#11 Beard
#12 RBY
#16 Teasdale
#20 J Lee
#22 S Nevills
#34 Teske

Didn't realize tOSU loaded up as well with 7 in top 100
#4,15,24,35,37,78 and 98

Michigan and Minnesota had smaller but nice classes as well..

lot's of talent in this class..excited to see our boys and who becomes the top of this class!

That was a nice bump up for Brooks. Nevills suffers from being in a loaded 285 class this year.

Can you do a solid and type in the top 10? Its only Flo Pro.

Reactions: kevin310
That was a nice bump up for Brooks. Nevills suffers from being in a loaded 285 class this year.

The non-PSU kids in the top 10 are 1. Gable Steveson, 3. Mason Parris, 4. Sammy Sasso, 5. David Carr, 6. Travis Whittlake, 7. Joey Silva, 8. Jacori Teemer, 9. Brock Hardy, and 10. Gavin Hoffman

I'll do one better :)

1.Gable Steveson 285 Minnesota
2 Aaron Brooks 184 Penn State
3 Mason Parris 285 Michigan
4 Sammy Sasso 149 Ohio State
5 David Carr 165 Iowa State
6.Travis Wittlake, Jr174 Oklahoma State
7 Joey Silva 141 Michigan
8 Jacori Teemer 165 Arizona State
9 Brock Hardy 149 Nebraska
10Gavin Hoffman 197 Ohio State
11 Michael Beard 197 Penn State

Decent job of recruting by Cael!

7 of top 35 in one class..that's unreal
#2 Brooks
#11 Beard
#12 RBY
#16 Teasdale
#20 J Lee
#22 S Nevills
#34 Teske

#4,15,24,35,37,78 and 98

lot's of talent in this class..excited to see our boys and who becomes the top of this class!

yeah Im glad several of them worked with Willie to lower their rankings from last summer to mess with Jammenz talking points.......

I read somewhere that PSU "never takes" guys out of the top 15 and only "top 10" guys score major points at nationals....

#enjoyedthePSUera

Looks like T&T will be coaching up their talent again. Is HR predicting 160 points for the 2021 season yet?

Reactions: diggerpup
Looks like T&T will be coaching up their talent again. Is HR predicting 160 points for the 2021 season yet?

You Mean “Transfer U” in Iowa City? Why not, any holes they seek outside assistance

Our Iowa friends will continue crying that PSU gets all the great recruits....but

last year's #1 recruiting class was Iowa and previous year's #1 recruiting class was NCS. This year's top class could be OSU, and UM has 2 wrestlers in the top 7.

Our Iowa friends will continue crying that PSU gets all the great recruits....but

last year's #1 recruiting class was Iowa and previous year's #1 recruiting class was NCS. This year's top class could be OSU, and UM has 2 wrestlers in the top 7.
I'm sure by now many know my view on this, but until recently, I believe Flo has done recruiting rankings incorrectly. Nationals are won with a top heavy class, not a quantitative class. You don't win nationals with R12 guys. You win trophies by getting guys to Saturday night. Two top 10 guys every years gets you the coveted trophy. Everything else is window dressing.

Reactions: ecdcr
I'm sure by now many know my view on this, but until recently, I believe Flo has done recruiting rankings incorrectly. Nationals are won with a top heavy class, not a quantitative class. You don't win nationals with R12 guys. You win trophies by getting guys to Saturday night. Two top 10 guys every years gets you the coveted trophy. Everything else is window dressing.

Based on that criteria tOSU and UM have the top teams this year. How soon til Vodka is investigating the tanners?

Decent job of recruting by Cael!

7 of top 35 in one class..that's unreal
#2 Brooks
#11 Beard
#12 RBY
#16 Teasdale
#20 J Lee
#22 S Nevills
#34 Teske

#4,15,24,35,37,78 and 98

Where are PSU’s recruits ranked at their weights? Thanks

#2 Brooks, 184 #1
#11 Beard, 197 #2
#12 RBY,
#16 Teasdale,
#20 J Lee,
#22 S Nevills,
#34 Teske,​

Last edited:
Reactions: lionlover
Based on that criteria tOSU and UM have the top teams this year. How soon til Vodka is investigating the tanners?
Ha, let me amend my prior thought with an addition. Recruiting is also about the intangibles. You want kids in your program that are coachable and have a strong self motivation and comfortable in the surrounding of PSU. Sometimes, that is not recorded in the rankings.

Reactions: T J
Ha, let me amend my prior thought with an addition. Recruiting is also about the intangibles. You want kids in your program that are coachable and have a strong self motivation and comfortable in the surrounding of PSU. Sometimes, that is not recorded in the rankings.
You also want kids in your program who are not an academic or character risks that prevents them from wrestling. First rule of competition is show up. If you are not allowed to compete, you can't show up. I have no idea of the academic or character of any wrestlers in this years class at any school.

Thanks Sport,
Appreciate the info. I did not know where a couple of the top 10 were going, so this is great info in one easy list.

Reactions: Sportfan2017
Open Mats ratings from 4/3 in ( )
2 Aaron Brooks 184 Penn State (5)
11 Michael Beard 197 Penn State (12)
12 Roman Bravo-Young 141 Penn State (15)
16 Gavin Teasdale 133 Penn State (9)
20 Joe Lee 157 Penn State (24)
22 Seth Nevills 285 Penn State (17)
34 Brody Teske 125 Penn State (19)

Great class with top two enrolling in 2019.... joined by Busiello who is #2 in the 2020 class!

Reactions: T J
Actually Busiello is #2 in 2019.

2019 looks like a fairly weak year for PA. 2 top 15 (9 Anderson and 13 Starocci), next is Urbas (40) and Chlebove (45). That's it for the top 50.

For those still obsessed with Edmond Ruth: he's ranked 93.

2019 is actually a pretty strong year for NJ -- 9 of the top 30 (including Anderson since he's a NJ resident).

Has Vodka chimmed in on the DeSanto signing. Was curious if he has flipped....

Do you mean flipped as in changed his opinion or flipped as in ...gone bonkers :) I think the answer may be "Yes"

Open Mats ratings from 4/3 in ( )
2 Aaron Brooks 184 Penn State (5)
11 Michael Beard 197 Penn State (12)
12 Roman Bravo-Young 141 Penn State (15)
16 Gavin Teasdale 133 Penn State (9)
20 Joe Lee 157 Penn State (24)
22 Seth Nevills 285 Penn State (17)
34 Brody Teske 125 Penn State (19)

Great class with top two enrolling in 2019.... joined by Busiello who is #2 in the 2020 class!
Has anyone ever done any analysis to see how these high school rankings translate into NCAA success?

If I knew where to access the data, IMO it would be interesting to look at it two different ways. 1. Who were the top 25 recruits 4-5 years ago and how much success did they achieve or 2. Or perhaps more simply where were this years semi-finalists (highest “point getters”) ranked when they graduated high school?

Has anyone ever done any analysis to see how these high school rankings translate into NCAA success?

If I knew where to access the data, IMO it would be interesting to look at it two different ways. 1. Who were the top 25 recruits 4-5 years ago and how much success did they achieve or 2. Or perhaps more simply where were this years semi-finalists (highest “point getters”) ranked when they graduated high school?
Check out D1CW as they used to do the rewind.

http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/Recruiting_Front.html

“Penn State will return to middle of the pack once David Taylor & Ed Ruth graduate.”

A classic, right up there with: listen to the crazy-talk Bail is spewing (2009 on Cael's reasons and rationale for taking PSU job), Bail can't coach, he just hit lightning in a bottle with some recruits (circa 2012), Pennsylvanians are new to wrestling....

The new one is, "wait until Nolf and Nickal leave". One relatively new poster on another board said that PSU will come back to the pack because they've missed on a few recruits recently. Still waiting for a response to my query.

The new one is, "wait until Nolf and Nickal leave". One relatively new poster on another board said that PSU will come back to the pack because they've missed on a few recruits recently. Still waiting for a response to my query.

Considering the lack of intellect required to say "wait until Nolf and Nickal leave" with the recruits coming in......my guess is that they took "query" in a completely incorrect way :)

You also want kids in your program who are not an academic or character risks that prevents them from wrestling. First rule of competition is show up. If you are not allowed to compete, you can't show up. I have no idea of the academic or character of any wrestlers in this years class at any school.
Yes, on all counts. Think what college coaches are asked to do...evaluate a 17 or 18 year old kid, still in his formative years, basing that evaluation on talent-level, potential for improvement, and then... all those intangibles. Doubt a man as confident, yet humble, as Cael, thinks there are too many he can't take. All coaches have strike-outs.

Yes, on all counts. Think what college coaches are asked to do...evaluate a 17 or 18 year old kid, still in his formative years, basing that evaluation on talent-level, potential for improvement, and then... all those intangibles. Doubt a man as confident, yet humble, as Cael, thinks there are too many he can't take. All coaches have strike-outs.
I still remember the changes that occurred just during my freshman year. Changed majors three times. Left the dorms and lived at home. Rushed a fraternity. I never had an inkling that I'd do any of those things. Fortunately, it all worked out, and I chose more wisely from that point forward, but it's difficult to be on your own for the first time and having to manage the appropriate use of your time. I wasn't always successful, and these kids are no different.

While the numbers are great, I believe there is much more to it than numbers for Cael and the staff: They look for a certain kind of thing in a recruit, and if you look very closely, while the personal styles may differ from one to another, every Penn State wrestler has the exact same kind of magic about them. From the top of the roster, to the very end of the roster, these guys all have some kind of certain thing, that you can see about them. It's impossible to put a finger on it and say 'THAT'S the thing', it's just this kind of aura that Cael and the staff looks for, then identifies in the guys that they take into the program. The new group is no different, they have that aura.

While the numbers are great, I believe there is much more to it than numbers for Cael and the staff: They look for a certain kind of thing in a recruit, and if you look very closely, while the personal styles may differ from one to another, every Penn State wrestler has the exact same kind of magic about them. From the top of the roster, to the very end of the roster, these guys all have some kind of certain thing, that you can see about them. It's impossible to put a finger on it and say 'THAT'S the thing', it's just this kind of aura that Cael and the staff looks for, then identifies in the guys that they take into the program. The new group is no different, they have that aura.
Like most people, this staff continues to learn. Relative to when they first arrived at Penn State they have a solid idea of what they are looking for in a recruit.

Like most people, this staff continues to learn. Relative to when they first arrived at Penn State they have a solid idea of what they are looking for in a recruit.
Its something nobody can quite put their finger on: For the past few years I've watched Nationals with some relatives who are from out west, but huge wrestling fans. They always comment to the effect that "You know when a PSU guy is out there because they don't seem to be affected in any way, that everything is on the line. They wrestle like no other team when the brightest lights are on. They seem to be a couple steps ahead of their opponent, even when over matched, regardless of who is out there.".

Lately they have added this addendum: "Now, it seems like the other guys on the mat, are beaten as soon as they see the blue singlet with the big white stripe on it".

Sure enough, there were exceptions as always: Our 133 pounde came up short, but was in it with a kid who had hammered him 2 straight years, getting caught. Our 141 pounder DID get caught, then became nearly invincible out of nowhere, getting 5th place. Our 174 pounder did indeed lose....to a kid who weighed probably 20more pounds than he did that night. And our 97 pounder lost in the final seconds to a kid who won the whole thing.

The only guy who didn't show out was our Heavyweight, and personally I think he was wrestling with one arm the whole way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT