ADVERTISEMENT

Flo's Final Big Board

Its something nobody can quite put their finger on: For the past few years I've watched Nationals with some relatives who are from out west, but huge wrestling fans. They always comment to the effect that "You know when a PSU guy is out there because they don't seem to be affected in any way, that everything is on the line. They wrestle like no other team when the brightest lights are on. They seem to be a couple steps ahead of their opponent, even when over matched, regardless of who is out there.".

Lately they have added this addendum: "Now, it seems like the other guys on the mat, are beaten as soon as they see the blue singlet with the big white stripe on it".

Sure enough, there were exceptions as always: Our 133 pounde came up short, but was in it with a kid who had hammered him 2 straight years, getting caught. Our 141 pounder DID get caught, then became nearly invincible out of nowhere, getting 5th place. Our 174 pounder did indeed lose....to a kid who weighed probably 20more pounds than he did that night. And our 97 pounder lost in the final seconds to a kid who won the whole thing.

The only guy who didn't show out was our Heavyweight, and personally I think he was wrestling with one arm the whole way.
I thought I heard Nick had shoulder surgery after the season.... he definitely wasn’t the same after the Boykin battle....

Much unlike the deeply self aware and reflective denizens of Hawkeye Report :eek:

Lol... good one, I will say HR is more aware of acknowledging of their warts. There are the 10 AA, 5 NC crowd but their is a strong current of people who see the issues and acknowledge them.

Lol... good one, I will say HR is more aware of acknowledging of their warts. There are the 10 AA, 5 NC crowd but their is a strong current of people who see the issues and acknowledge them.

I think the last couple of years that is true. Many truthers have emerged, but losing helps aid that self awareness.

Kind of hard to tout 10AA 5 NC every year when the facts simply dont support that euphoria. Simply put, the truth is easy to tell when its obvious.

But dont worry, 160 pts this season remains a possibility......

I think the last couple of years that is true. Many truthers have emerged, but losing helps aid that self awareness.

Kind of hard to tout 10AA 5 NC every year when the facts simply dont support that euphoria. Simply put, the truth is easy to tell when its obvious.

I believe their optimism is warranted. The overall mood on their board has changed, good for them. Just grateful and thankful for what's happening at the school I root for. Strap on the head gear, hit the mat, and may the best team win...this coming year, the year after, and all the years after that.

Who are the doomsdayers only predicting 160? They must not see the vision.

I thought I heard Nick had shoulder surgery after the season.... he definitely wasn’t the same after the Boykin battle....

Something seems fishy on the Nick front and I still question the logic of the rumors Cassar is moving to HWT unless either Bo moving up is set and/or Nick may be hurt more than we know. We probably won't know for sure on either front until October dag nabbit. I am ok with a Shack > Bo > Cassar top end as long as Cassar can get to 225-235 of antimidating rippleing Muscle, and Shack can manage the minor weight drop without gas thank issues that plagued him in the past. AC might have a takedown game that rivals Capt America at the Hwt class. Uncomfortable if Seth has to sit for a whole redshirt year watching his brother ride the pine even if he lost a wrestleoff. However, at the end of the day the best wrestler deserves the spot.

Last edited:
Something seems fishy on the Nick front and I still question the logic of the rumors Cassar is moving to HWT unless either Bo moving up is set and Nick may be hurt more than we know. We probably won't know for sure on either front until October dag nabbit. I am ok with a Shack > Bo > Cassar top end as long as Cassar can get to 225-235 of antimidating rippleing Muscle, and Shack can manage the minor weight drop without gas thank issues that plagued him in the past. AC might have a takedown game that rivals Capt America at the Hwt class, but I wouldn't like Seth having to sit for a whole redshirt year watching his brother ride the pine even if he lost a wrestleoff. However, at the end of the day the best wrestler deserves the spot.
There's a huge difference between Rasheed having tank issues at 165 and being able to man 184. His walking around weight in-season last year was below 197, so I don't see an issue with managing his weight and having a strong body for 184. I think his arm length will be a distinct advantage for him at 184 against guys who are slightly less tall than the 197s.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Did you not tune into the duals til 141 this year?

Those were at least graduate transfers, might not mean anything to you, but those kids were looking to advance into their graduate course work. One, was a guy with a family and another a PA kid looking to return closer to family as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT