ADVERTISEMENT

Game 9: PSU @ Minnesota, TCF Stadium, Nov 9th, noon EST

These predictions already show the hypocrisy of the committee. Many are predicting that PSU will be ahead of Clemson due to strength of schedule. But if that's true, why wouldn't PSU also be ahead of Bama? Their schedule hasn't been all that great either. But they like to move the goalposts depending on the team they are talking about, and they do so from week to week as well. This whole system is ridiculous.

You mean like the fact that Alabama has only played 1 top 50 team so far this year?

Worst game ever, I was there. Walking out after that loss is the quietest I've ever heard the stadium.

My buddies and I were pissed hearing people talk about where the kegs were that night like everything was fine.

Minny has been improving, that's for sure. Those first four games were pathetic........near-miss victories against complete crap competition.

And while they've been playing crappy teams as of late, at least they're handling their business.

I don't think anybody has any real idea what kind of team Minnesota has. The world will find out in two weeks.
While it appears they have played better on D the last 4 games all have been against teams without their starting QB

Bama and Clemson with no wins over Top 25 opponents, but BTN argues not whether Penn State should be ranked higher than them.....but whether one loss Georgia will be ranked higher than Penn State.

The bias against PSU is comical. The Big Ten is structurally set up to promote Ohio State and Michigan. Penn State is crapped on to further their main goal.

Last edited:
Bama and Clemson with no wins over Top 25 opponents, but BTN argues not whether Penn State should be ranked higher than them.....but whether one loss Georgia will be ranked higher than Penn State.

The bias against PSU is comical.
But even our own fans will continue to say "it doesn't matter because only the committee matters". But they fail to realize that the committee is made up of people, and all people have biases, and those people listen to other people and might be impacted by their biases.

So long as this "system" remains a damn beauty contest, what people say matters. A lot.

The bias against PSU is comical. The Big Ten is structurally set up to promote Ohio State and Michigan. Penn State is crapped on to further their main goal.
Yeah, this Nicole Auerbach actually seems worse than the other BTN commentators.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Herbie pumping up PSU pre the Ohio State game.

You can set your watch to it this time of year every year. During the Michigan game, it was all Michigan talk from Herbs, now that they got through that game and MSU, its ra ra Penn State as to of course pump up his Buckeyes. Win or lose to penn state, Herb is laying it all out there for the bucks. If they win, "wow, we beat a perennial power in penn state." If they lose, "no shame in loosing to perennial power penn state, OSU deserves in the playoffs, eye test, garble garble."

Did anyone listen to Stanford Steve and the Bear this afternoon? Did the guy from Vegas say there has been 7 times the money bet on PSU than bet on Minnesota?

You can set your watch to it this time of year every year. During the Michigan game, it was all Michigan talk from Herbs, now that they got through that game and MSU, its ra ra Penn State as to of course pump up his Buckeyes. Win or lose to penn state, Herb is laying it all out there for the bucks. If they win, "wow, we beat a perennial power in penn state." If they lose, "no shame in loosing to perennial power penn state, OSU deserves in the playoffs, eye test, garble garble."
Bingo.
Nailed it.
Spot on.
Dead nut (I lost one to cancer :D)
However you want to say it. I agree wholeheartedly.

OL

Penn State vs. Minnesota odds, prediction, betting trends for battle of Big Ten unbeatens

WRITTEN BY BILL BENDER

iu

No. 5 Penn State (8-0) travels to No. 13 Minnesota (8-0) in a battle of Big Ten unbeatens at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday. The game will be televised nationally at noon ET on ABC.

Penn State remains ranked in the top five and is coming off a bye week after an impressive string of victories against Iowa, Michigan and Michigan State. Sean Clifford has been solid at quarterback, and the Nittany Lions rank second in the FBS in scoring defense at 9.6 points per game.

Reactions: psuaxe70
FC: James Franklin says Minnesota has the most talented WRs that we will have seen, so far, this year. Better than Michigan's trio of Peoples-Jones, Black and Bell.

Then you have their gigantic OL:
6-9 400
6-6 325
6-5 345
6-6 325
6-5 305

Oh, and their featured tailback Rodney Smith has more rushing yards than our top 3 RBs combined -- nearly 4,000 career rushing yards.

Gophers just keep getting better every single week. Hope we're not overlooking them for OSU.

My gut tells me they will be pretty good, and we need to play well to beat them. They had some close games early against lesser teams, but now they are killing teams. So they are getting better.

Every talking head desperately wants Minny to pull the upset but they know PSU is better so they pick PSU. I doubt OSU gets treated this way.

Minnesota has a stout and talented OL. Pry will need to dial up different blitz packages to try and gas the big guys up front. Penn State’s defense should have a significant edge in speed and depth. In my opinion that will be the difference.

As a Gopher fan, I view the 11AM CST kickoff as a very bad thing. The crowd is going to be lethargic unless things go very well. The student section (to the right in the video) will be the exception.

The video linked from four years ago shows a very different environment , for a 7PM game vs. #2 TCU, which Minnesota lost 17-23. The band usually comes out to about 80 percent empty seats 25 minutes before kickoff.

In this video, the stadium is fairly full at the start and halfway into the 18 minute pregame show, the place gets very loud. During the game it was very loud, even though Minnesota pretty much played like crap early.

I was hoping for a night game and a similar environment,, since early games tend to kill a lot of the energy, unless the home team is winning big, early.

On a 30-40 degree, low wind day, a night game is probably a wash relative to a 11 AM start in terms of weather. A 2:30 start would have been a lot better. The average highs in Minneapolis, like much of the midwest have been about 20-25 degrees below normal for a month. The bad weather here usually begins after Thanksgiving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT