ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State Hoops vs. St. Francis

Thankfully, Coppin St, Le Moyne, and Mississippi Valley St (the three teams ranked below St Francis in Pomeroy) weren't available tonight to give us even worse of an opponent. But fear not, we've still got Le Moyne coming up next month.

I guess this one at least has the geographical factor, and the Krimmel family connection.

Reactions: bdgan
As an aside, I stumbled upon this gem from Corey Giger when looking at stuff for tonight's game. Wow...

As an aside, I stumbled upon this gem from Corey Giger when looking at stuff for tonight's game. Wow...

Corey Giger…what else can you say?! Guy is special.

There's a kid on SFU from State College on the end of the bench. Guard named Brendan Scanlon who went to a tiny Catholic school and got to play D1 ball. If the game gets out of hand he'll probably get in. Bulldog of a kid with a weird shot but fun to watch.

Only caught the 2nd half. First time seeing team thise year.

3 things:

1. Can see some nice talent. Really great play by Dunn. Kern factor on both ends Ace is very verstile. 22 is a big dude. Hicks didn't shoot well but clearly CAN shoot.Didn't see Brown on the floor...just about every one else.

2. Defense/low scores is our only hope in the conference.

3. Dude from Iceland got dunked on, had a turnover, and took 2 pretty awkward shots in limited action. Not a naturally fluid player. Rosenberger from SFU looked great in comparison.

Reactions: bison13
A much better test this weekend d against Morehead State who won their conference last year. Morehead is always a competitive team and generally athletic.
We'll likely be a 11.5-12.5 point favorite, so it will be the best test we've faced so far. They're still likely the best team in the OVC, but the conference is pretty bad so it doesn't say a lot. But it's a better test to get ready for Orlando next week where we'll face 3 really competitive games.

We'll likely be a 11.5-12.5 point favorite, so it will be the best test we've faced so far. They're still likely the best team in the OVC, but the conference is pretty bad so it doesn't say a lot. But it's a better test to get ready for Orlando next week where we'll face 3 really competitive games.
Looked over Morehead's stats thus far. Very guard-centric scoring team. They were blown out by Alabama and Purdue, two of top teams in NCAA. Beat Mercer the other night by 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Don't count on low scores. This team plays at a high pace.
I guess that while they played a nice game against an inferior team I just didn't sense explosiveness. No automatic 3 pt guy (but could be Hicks). Kern and Ace look like they can do it all on both ends. Kanye looked comfortable handling the ball...but also bricked a 3 off the backboard that didn't touch the rim at all...coulda knocked out some teeth!

Credit to Coach- we've got lots of pieces. Will be interesting to see how they fit.

It’s tough to make any kind of projection for this team until they play somebody who’s in the top 50 but what I do like about the team is that we are deeper, taller, and more athletic than any team I can remember.

Q is a legit scoring threat on the block, and we have some depth inside as well. being able to play full court defense with multiple bodies to wear out other teams is some thing that we haven’t been able to do before.

We might not be pretty offensively but I do think we’ve got enough guys who can score in some manner that they’ll find a way to be in every game. Plus with that many guys you hope to find a hot hand each night, like Brown, and ride them.

It’s tough to make any kind of projection for this team until they play somebody who’s in the top 50 but what I do like about the team is that we are deeper, taller, and more athletic than any team I can remember.

Q is a legit scoring threat on the block, and we have some depth inside as well. being able to play full court defense with multiple bodies to wear out other teams is some thing that we haven’t been able to do before.

We might not be pretty offensively but I do think we’ve got enough guys who can score in some manner that they’ll find a way to be in every game. Plus with that many guys you hope to find a hot hand each night, like Brown, and ride them.
My thoughts better written. This team will be fun and ultimately win or lose in large part based on Coach and his in game decisions/adjustments. Looking forward to some tests next week

Reactions: bison13
My thoughts better written. This team will be fun and ultimately win or lose in large part based on Coach and his in game decisions/adjustments. Looking forward to some tests next week
I agree, I am excited right now, I think they can give the teams in the conference fits as we have never been one of the most athletic teams in the league but now we are. I dotn want to get ahead of myself with the weak teams they have played but I definitely think they will win 6 plus in the league

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT