ADVERTISEMENT

Gas stations

thewholebit

Mar 19, 2008
Closing pumps like so many dominoes here in NC. Have to believe it will soon follow in PA. One thing after another.

I just filed up in CT, we are going on a trip Thursday.. Lines were not too bad, pretty normal. I'm sure as more press gets out they will get longer even if there is no supply issue. Nice to have a truck with a 36 gallon fuel tank.

Was told that all the Moore County stations were out. Wife and I head to the beach on Saturday. might have to carpool the next few days to save fuel in the truck, then spend the week at the beach while this nonsense passes

Haven’t seen enough to know short to medium term impact but did fill my car at half a tank yesterday instead of waiting to E.

Probably will continue to do so until it doesn’t appear it will be a big problem. A lot of people do that all the time anyway.

heard the former dpt. of energy secretary on this morning. said basically expect some localized issues due to just local tankers not have gas but should not be any larger problems than that. Said if this pipeline doesn't open by end of week that is when things could start to get ugly in much larger shortages occurring across the eastern seabord..

Reactions: LionJim
I filled up 2 cars today in Winston-Salem NC and no lines at the pump. But a co-worker said there were 50 cars in line at the station he went to, and that South Carolina had areas out of gas. Heard the pipeline was operating in NC, but manually.

Reactions: royboy
In this case, the FBI publicly assigned blame Monday by saying the criminal syndicate whose ransomware was used in the attack is named DarkSide. The group's members are Russian speakers, and the syndicate’s malware is coded not to attack networks using Russian-language keyboards.

Anne Neuberger, the White House deputy national security adviser for cyber and emerging technology, said at a briefing that the group has been on the FBI's radar for months. She said its business model is to demand ransom payments from victims and then split the proceeds with the ransomware developers, relying on what she said was a “new and very troubling variant.”

She declined to say if Colonial Pipeline had paid any ransom, and the company has not given any indication of that one way or the other. Though the FBI has historically discouraged victims from making payments for fear of promoting additional attacks, she acknowledged “the very difficult” situation that victims face and said the administration needs to look “thoughtfully at this area" of how best to deter ransomware.

In this case, the FBI publicly assigned blame Monday by saying the criminal syndicate whose ransomware was used in the attack is named DarkSide. The group's members are Russian speakers, and the syndicate’s malware is coded not to attack networks using Russian-language keyboards.

Anne Neuberger, the White House deputy national security adviser for cyber and emerging technology, said at a briefing that the group has been on the FBI's radar for months. She said its business model is to demand ransom payments from victims and then split the proceeds with the ransomware developers, relying on what she said was a “new and very troubling variant.”

She declined to say if Colonial Pipeline had paid any ransom, and the company has not given any indication of that one way or the other. Though the FBI has historically discouraged victims from making payments for fear of promoting additional attacks, she acknowledged “the very difficult” situation that victims face and said the administration needs to look “thoughtfully at this area" of how best to deter ransomware.
The entire Russian government is a criminal syndicate!

Russia's been on the receiving end of Ransomware attacks too.

Reactions: step.eng69
iu

appears to be getting ugly down in north carolina and Virginia. starting to get worried a little bit that this will grow.

Reactions: 91Joe95
FWIW, we are headed to Charleston, SC currently. We are in southern VA for the night past and no problems with gas. We are getting a little concerned with the news out of SC, though. I’ll update later.

Reactions: NC2017
I'm supposed to drive to NE PA today. Had to go to 9 gas stations before I found one with gas (NOVA) and even they had no premium. Anyone know how difficult it is to get gas in NE PA? Not going to make the trip if I can't get gas to get home. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance.

FWIW, we are headed to Charleston, SC currently. We are in southern VA for the night past and no problems with gas. We are getting a little concerned with the news out of SC, though. I’ll update later.
Good luck and thanks for updating.

Stop at a walmart, purchase some gas cans and fill-em up. Grab toilet paper while you're at it.

Reactions: bison13
appears the big issue is the pipeline is private such that it is sort of up to the private company to pay the ransom or not. i am sure that the govt. is helping out as much as possible, but it is an interesting situation where a private pipeline is threatening national security in a way. If something doesn't break today than i am going to get really concerned as obviosly with teh issues in NC and VA being pretty severe, things are not looking good as it grows out from there. so if they cannot figure it out today, means they don't have an answer to what to do as if they had an answer and were just waiting for a better one, there isn't anymore time to wait at this point.

appears the big issue is the pipeline is private such that it is sort of up to the private company to pay the ransom or not. i am sure that the govt. is helping out as much as possible, but it is an interesting situation where a private pipeline is threatening national security in a way. If something doesn't break today than i am going to get really concerned as obviosly with teh issues in NC and VA being pretty severe, things are not looking good as it grows out from there. so if they cannot figure it out today, means they don't have an answer to what to do as if they had an answer and were just waiting for a better one, there isn't anymore time to wait at this point.
I'm in the business, and FWIW, Colonial has never been looked upon as being one of the better operators in the industry. I'm not too surprised that they were successfully hacked, and it wouldn't be too surprising if their response and their ability to get back to full capacity operations takes longer than it should.

I'm in the business, and FWIW, Colonial has never been looked upon as being one of the better operators in the industry. I'm not too surprised that they were successfully hacked, and it wouldn't be too surprising if their response and their ability to get back to full capacity operations takes longer than it should.
So, is it your opinion that Colonial is an outlier in this regard? Was Colonial, known as “not being one of the better operators in the industry,” targeted for this reason?

So, is it your opinion that Colonial is an outlier in this regard? Was Colonial, known as “not being one of the better operators in the industry,” targeted for this reason?
I do think Colonial is an outlier, and likely easier to hack than some other systems with which I am familiar. They have been a bit of a problem child in the industry for quite awhile, IMO. That doesn't mean hackers couldn't get into other pipelines in a similar way. But they picked a prime target--weak systems and management, yet an important supply chain component.

What this means for my business is that every acquisition, divestiture, and financing going forward will have a huge due diligence emphasis on cybersecurity, even if Colonial is an outlier.

There was recently a major gas leak in a Colonial Pipeline here in NC. They’re still assessing how gallons and the damage done to local environment. In other words, they are covering up the damage.

“Internet Explorer (“Internet Exploder”) needs to die.”

Yeah, great article, appreciate the shout-out. (I rarely click articles linked on this board.)
I've done some time in banking and Krebs was kind of the "go-to" guy for CISOs. In fact, his blog is named "Krebs on Security". He did a speaking engagement for our company and showed up after he had a few belts. We used to call him "Krebs on Tequila". Regardless, he knows his stuff.

I've done some time in banking and Krebs was kind of the "go-to" guy for CISOs. In fact, his blog is named "Krebs on Security". He did a speaking engagement for our company and showed up after he had a few belts. We used to call him "Krebs on Tequila". Regardless, he knows his stuff.
And he is an excellent writer. You won’t find something more clearly written. (This is my first exposure to his writing.)

Last edited:
And he is an excellent writer. You won’t find something written more clearly. (This is my first exposure to his writing.)
his update, today, is on the new Microsoft patches to update security in Outlook and others. The comments are always interesting as well. I suspect most are CISOs. Very educated bunch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT