ADVERTISEMENT

Gas stations

Appears Jensen didn’t make the cut...:(

On 29 April 1944, Jebsen was abducted from Lisbon, Portugal, and driven overnight to France. Aloys Schreiber, the head of German counter-intelligence in Lisbon, had invited Jebsen to his office on the pretext of discussing his pending War Merit Medal. After a brief struggle, Jebsen and his friend (Heinz Moldenhauer) were overpowered and bundled into a car.

Jebsen's disappearance was a serious concern for the Allies. He had been privy to a great deal of information, including knowledge of Popov's double agent role and that Agent Garbo's network of subagents was a fiction. He also, most importantly, had familiarity with many details of Operation Fortitude. If he talked, the entire cover plan for the Normandy landings was at risk. After much analysis, the intelligence services decided that Jebsen had been snatched because the Abwehr believed he was planning to defect, rather than that he had already turned. It is possible that Jebsen was abducted to protect Popov, whom the Germans considered one of their most important agents. As a precaution, the Allies suspended Popov's network of fictional subagents and his transmissions to his German handlers.

Jebsen was first taken to the Gestapoheadquarters in Berlin where his torture and interrogation began. After a few weeks, the Allies were encouraged, intercepts of German communications showed the Germans were interested in Jebsen's finances (he had been defrauding a number of SS officers), and there was no mention of his activities as an agent. As time progressed, it appeared that agent Artist had not cracked under pressure and the Fortitude deception was safe.

In July 1944, Jebsen was moved to Sachsenhausen concentration camp. When he arrived he had broken ribs and was malnourished, but still harboured thoughts of escape. He told Allied soldiers, also held in the camp that he had been accused of helping the British and when he had refused to talk, his financial fraud had been investigated. Eventually, he got a message to London via British Commando Jack Churchill, but the War Office had no record of Jebsen's name and so the plea for help was ignored. In February 1945, Gestapo agents removed Jebsen from Sachsenhausen, the last sighting of him, and he is presumed to have been murdered soon after. Several attempts to find him after the war were unsuccessful and he was legally declared dead on 17 February 1950.

“ The incident also shows how antivirus companies eager to make a name for themselves sometimes violate one of the cardinal rules of the cat-and-mouse game of cyberwarfare: Don’t let your opponents know what you’ve figured out. During World War II, when the British secret service learned from decrypted communications that the Gestapo was planning to abduct and murder a valuable double agent, Johnny Jebsen, his handler wasn’t allowed to warn him for fear of cluing in the enemy that its cipher had been cracked. Today, ransomware hunters like Wosar and Gillespie try to prolong the attackers’ ignorance, even at the cost of contacting fewer victims. Sooner or later, as payments drop off, the cybercriminals realize that something has gone wrong.”

If Bitdefender didn't monetize their fix, which they easily could have by simply advertising they had a secret fix, then its hard to argue they were simply in it for a little publicity. I think the reporter very may have missed the mark with their statement here.

Reactions: step.eng69
“ The incident also shows how antivirus companies eager to make a name for themselves sometimes violate one of the cardinal rules of the cat-and-mouse game of cyberwarfare: Don’t let your opponents know what you’ve figured out. During World War II, when the British secret service learned from decrypted communications that the Gestapo was planning to abduct and murder a valuable double agent, Johnny Jebsen, his handler wasn’t allowed to warn him for fear of cluing in the enemy that its cipher had been cracked. Today, ransomware hunters like Wosar and Gillespie try to prolong the attackers’ ignorance, even at the cost of contacting fewer victims. Sooner or later, as payments drop off, the cybercriminals realize that something has gone wrong.”

is it me, or does cyberattack's appear to be something that is way, way, way more scary then is being given credit for. and i don't see it going down but only get more prevalent from Russia and China as a very 'cheap' way to completely destroy an economy.

I know of a small engineering firm that got hit last year, talking about a 50 person company and they were only asking for a few hundred thousand dollars. So getting down to very small companies now.

That becomes the catch 22 - do you help as many people as you can now, or hope to help others later on by assuming the hackers won't use an already existing code in a slightly different way?
I agree. The title was provocative and the Bitdefender CEO gave, what I thought, was a plausible explanation. It doesn't absolve those in charge of the Colonial Pipeline infrastructure security.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I agree. The title was provocative and the Bitdefender CEO gave, what I thought, was a plausible explanation. It doesn't absolve those in charge of the Colonial Pipeline infrastructure security.

I could not agree more. Some firms seem unable to fully comprehend that there are many people and organizations who want to steal from them.

I know of a small engineering firm that got hit last year, talking about a 50 person company and they were only asking for a few hundred thousand dollars. So getting down to very small companies now.
In Camp Hill?

Heading home from FLA to NEPA on Tuesday
fLA seems to be okay but have to make it thru the Carolinas (Route 95) - any updates on those states amd areas
I live in the Piedmont. We are in a much better situation than before. Stick to big multipump stations.

Reactions: colt21
it was an engineering firm out west.

Okay. One of my friends is an IT guy for a firm in Camp Hill. He spent last year helping rebuild their system from I believe a major hacking job. I could be wrong about the details though.

is it me, or does cyberattack's appear to be something that is way, way, way more scary then is being given credit for. and i don't see it going down but only get more prevalent from Russia and China as a very 'cheap' way to completely destroy an economy.

I wonder why this is not deemed to be another form of terrorism when you consider the effects it has.

While I realize some of them are state sponsored or protected by governments, I'd like to see them hunted down and eliminated.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Heading down to North Carolina on Thursday, what is latest. Were they able to supply up late last week and over weekend such that most locations have gas now?
We drove home Tuesday amd Wednesday of last week and stayed in NC (off 95) amd were good

We drove home from Savannah to LBI, NJ last Thursday/Friday. I-95 from Savannah to DC, then we diverted to Annapolis, from there to the Cape May ferry.

No problems with gas. One station in North Carolina had no premium grades but did have 87. No lines anywhere.

Reactions: colt21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT