ADVERTISEMENT

Great confidence-builder heading into Michigan game

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I thought it was the best all-around performance on O since the West Virginia game. (Delaware and Massachusetts were glorified scrimmages and don't count.)

Running game showed signs of life as Kaytron firmly establishes himself as the #1 back. Another WR finally stepped up. TEs were productive. Drew looked good. Meanwhile, the D was dominant as usual. (Sure would be good to have Chop back next Saturday.)

Granted, it didn't hurt that Maryland appears to be in a state of ongoing collapse.

One small quibble: I have no idea what they're trying to do with Beau Pribula or why they're trying to do it.

Anyway, now for the Big One. Looks like the "experts" are pegging Michigan as around a 1-TD favorite. Oh well, if they win, at least they'll have to do it honestly...unlike all their W's in 2021-22 which they cheated to get.

It's good to see Allar playing so well after that awful performance against Indiana -- shows resilience. The whole PSU offensive team seemed to be having fun out there (and it certainly helps to be playing against an undersized and somewhat disorganized defense).

It's certainly better than having a bad game against Maryland but it might not tell us much about PSU's chances against Michigan. Allar had as much time as he wanted in the pocket. Next week he'll have to release the ball in about 1.5 seconds and it is hard to find open receivers that fast.

The running game showing signs of life against Maryland is not going to do it vs UM. How many times does this staff have to realize our OL run blocking is pathetic. We had "49 yards" rushing vs OSU; yesterday Rutgers had "232 yards" rushing vs OSU. This problem can not been fixed in a week, but lets hope there is some improvement.

The only positive sign is Corum and UM didn't rush for squat last night vs Purdue.

Reactions: bluehair666
The running game showing signs of life against Maryland is not going to do it vs UM. How many times does this staff have to realize our OL run blocking is pathetic. We had "49 yards" rushing vs OSU; yesterday Rutgers had "232 yards" rushing vs OSU. This problem can not been fixed in a week, but lets hope there is some improvement.

The only positive sign is Corum and UM didn't rush for squat last night vs Purdue.
Michigan went through some long dry spells after jumping to an early 14-pt lead vs Purdue. If PSU can take advantage of those (Purdue couldnt, but they aren't very good either) then it could be a close game

Your point is valid regarding our OL not being where it needs to be but I do want to add that Rutgers has a QB that can make chunk plays with his legs. That element can hide a weaker OL and also open lanes for the RB. We do not have that threat. Allar can throw it at a high level but the passing game is higher risk than a solid running game.

Although I will be pleasantly surprised if we pull out a win against Michigan I do want to point out that they have not played a meaningful game against a quality opponent this season. Are they one of the five best teams in the country? Yes. BUT they are beatable if we play our best version of complimentary football.... To that end... PSU 24-21 over the Wolverines on late FG followed by a key defensive takeaway.

Your point is valid regarding our OL not being where it needs to be but I do want to add that Rutgers has a QB that can make chunk plays with his legs. That element can hide a weaker OL and also open lanes for the RB. We do not have that threat. Allar can throw it at a high level but the passing game is higher risk than a solid running game.

Although I will be pleasantly surprised if we pull out a win against Michigan I do want to point out that they have not played a meaningful game against a quality opponent this season. Are they one of the five best teams in the country? Yes. BUT they are beatable if we play our best version of complimentary football.... To that end... PSU 24-21 over the Wolverines on late FG followed by a key defensive takeaway.
if we bring the offense that showed up vs Indiana and Ohio State, we have no chance

otherwise I think it is fairly close

Wonder why?

I thought it was the best all-around performance on O since the West Virginia game. (Delaware and Massachusetts were glorified scrimmages and don't count.)

Running game showed signs of life as Kaytron firmly establishes himself as the #1 back. Another WR finally stepped up. TEs were productive. Drew looked good. Meanwhile, the D was dominant as usual. (Sure would be good to have Chop back next Saturday.)

Granted, it didn't hurt that Maryland appears to be in a state of ongoing collapse.

One small quibble: I have no idea what they're trying to do with Beau Pribula or why they're trying to do it.

Anyway, now for the Big One. Looks like the "experts" are pegging Michigan as around a 1-TD favorite. Oh well, if they win, at least they'll have to do it honestly...unlike all their W's in 2021-22 which they cheated to get.
The team should be motivated, a lot to play for and they were embarrassed last year.

Reactions: Jerry

We're not beating Michigan with the run game regardless. They're going to load up to stop the run and force Drew to make some throws. If he does, that will likely loosen some things up. If he doesn't, then we're going to see a replay of the Ohio State game.

Our D is great and good enough to beat a lot of teams in the league on its own. But the Bucks and Wolves are not in that category. I do like that we'll be playing at home. That should help.

Reactions: Wesauking Lion

To be fair, part of that result versus Ohio State was simply that we didn’t attempt many running plays. Which was somewhat inexplicable given both Allar’s performance that game plus the fact that we had some early success rushing (remember the two decent runs I believe by Singleton in a first half drive).

We averaged 1.88 yards per carry against OSU. Maybe that is why we abandoned the run game. I've read for two years how teams have "stacked the box" to stop our run game. If our OL coaches can not figure out how to counter that other than passing, they need find another job. OSU's LB's have rarely been at the LOS against us, yet they step right into our backfield and stop our RB's, if their DL doesn't do it beforehand.

Washington's run blocking looks like an NFL team; they move people off the ball with the same or lesser talent than we have on the OL. No more excuses.

To be fair, part of that result versus Ohio State was simply that we didn’t attempt many running plays. Which was somewhat inexplicable given both Allar’s performance that game plus the fact that we had some early success rushing (remember the two decent runs I believe by Singleton in a first half drive).
Hopefully the Big 10 office is so pissed at Michigan’s brinksmanship and lack of cooperation re: Sign-gate that they send an officiating crew that is a Bizarro Witvoet, Lemonnier crew - and they just screw Michigan all day with preposterous calls.

A win would be great; a win helped with a handful of atrocious calls in our favor would be the height of hilarity. Just give me one chance to utter the inane phrase “the bad calls even out”

Hopefully the Big 10 office is so pissed at Michigan’s brinksmanship and lack of cooperation re: Sign-gate that they send an officiating crew that is a Bizarro Witvoet, Lemonnier crew - and they just screw Michigan all day with preposterous calls.

A win would be great; a win helped with a handful of atrocious calls in our favor would be the height of hilarity. Just give me one chance to utter the inane phrase “the bad calls even out”

yeah, that's not going to happen in this conference. the first time we ever played Michigan they called a crowd-noise penalty as soon as we got momentum. And it just kept getting worse after that

Reactions: 84Lion and Jerry

I think UM will be tougher than OSU but the game is at home.

Normally it's not too painful to lose to the #2 team but it keeps happening over and over. I don't think fans will be happy with 10-2. Franklin will be blasted by the press. Gotta find a way to win this one and change the narrative.

yeah, that's not going to happen in this conference. the first time we ever played Michigan they called a crowd-noise penalty as soon as we got momentum. And it just kept getting worse after that
That said, a lot of the old school Big 10 cronies who couldn’t stomach any changes to their sclerotic fiefdom have aged out, been kicked upstairs. Could be the start of a new day - especially when the western schools come over.

That said, a lot of the old school Big 10 cronies who couldn’t stomach any changes to their sclerotic fiefdom have aged out, been kicked upstairs. Could be the start of a new day - especially when the western schools come over.

I gotta say, I have no complaints about the zebras this year. Some new faces who've called what struck me as fair games.

Which probably means we're overdue to get screwed over in the standard Big-2 fashion.

I gotta say, I have no complaints about the zebras this year. Some new faces who've called what struck me as fair games.

Which probably means we're overdue to get screwed over in the standard Big-2 fashion.

none here either, although the fumble return that was called back vs. Ohio State was called on something that was basically irrelevant to the play. nonetheless, that is minor compared to some of the calls that happened in the past (2002, 2003, 2005)

none here either, although the fumble return that was called back vs. Ohio State was called on something that was basically irrelevant to the play. nonetheless, that is minor compared to some of the calls that happened in the past (2002, 2003, 2005)

It was game changing but it was a correct call which was annoying.

Hope you are right. Your comment about the quality of Michigan’s schedule so far is spot on.

I think UM will be tougher than OSU but the game is at home.

Normally it's not too painful to lose to the #2 team but it keeps happening over and over. I don't think fans will be happy with 10-2. Franklin will be blasted by the press. Gotta find a way to win this one and change the narrative.
Let’s see what happens. That’s why you play the game. Clearly Allar played very poorly against OSU Hopefully he will be better against Michigan because he will need to be. I heard something interesting on satellite radio where an announcer in another Big Ten game mentioned that OSU beat Rutgers which ran Day’s Big Ten record to 37-2. Which means for those of you paying attention that Michigan is the only Big Ten team to beat a Day coached OSU team so far.

Hope you are right. Your comment about the quality of Michigan’s schedule so far is spot on.
I think it is certainly in our favor that we’ve played better teams than Michigan. In particular, we’ve actually played against some great defenses while Michigan hasn’t seen anything like our D. Hopefully that will lead to some period of adjustment for UM and we can take advantage

Last edited:
Reactions: bdgan
I dont get where people keep saying that Ds are loading the box on us. Their safeties are almost always in 2 deep against us. Loading the box usually means bringing up a safety.

I think it is certainly in our favor that we’ve played better teams than Michigan. In particular, we’ve actually played against some great defenses while Michigan hasn’t seen anything like our D. Hopefully that will lead to some period of adjustment for UM and we can the advantage
having Diaz + our defense is in our favor

not sure what else is, though

Let’s see what happens. That’s why you play the game. Clearly Allar played very poorly against OSU Hopefully he will be better against Michigan because he will need to be. I heard something interesting on satellite radio where an announcer in another Big Ten game mentioned that OSU beat Rutgers which ran Day’s Big Ten record to 37-2. Which means for those of you paying attention that Michigan is the only Big Ten team to beat a Day coached OSU team so far.
OSU has been dominant for a while but PSU's recruiting rankings have been close to Michigan. Franklin is 3-6 vs Michigan and 3-7 wouldn't look good.

247 BiG recruiting rankings:
2019: 1) UM, 2) PSU, 3) OSU
2020: 1) OSU, 2 UM, 6) PSU
2021: 1) OSU, 2) PSU, 3) UM
2022: 1) OSU, 2) PSU, 3) UM

It seems like we should be able to beat UM 40%-50% of the time based on recruiting.

I dont get where people keep saying that Ds are loading the box on us. Their safeties are almost always in 2 deep against us. Loading the box usually means bringing up a safety.
That's not what I've seen. OSU & Indiana played a lot of cover 0 and cover 1. It seemed clear that they were trying to stop the run and pressure Allar, forcing us to beat them 1-+ yds downfield.

Franklin talked about that in his post game interviews. He even talked about it after Maryland but to be honest I didn't notice. Maybe that's because their corners played soft and Allar was able to check down to the underneath throws.

What would you do if you played PSU? A first year QB with only 1 proven WR? I'd make them beat me deep.

OSU has been dominant for a while but PSU's recruiting rankings have been close to Michigan. Franklin is 3-6 vs Michigan and 3-7 wouldn't look good.

It seems like we should be able to beat UM 40%-50% of the time based on recruiting.

it is coaching. the recruiting is fine

remember how the games have gone down:

Franklin loses by 1 pt to OSU in 2017 and 2018. has the lead in the 4th quarter in 2022. a one score game in the 4th quarter in 2023. psu loses every single one of those

against michigan it has been more back and forth each season, but recall that last year psu was leading in the 3rd quarter

it is not solely a talent issue. psu hangs with these teams. it is just not probable to lose every one of those games if the coaching is an even matchup

it is coaching. the recruiting is fine

remember how the games have gone down:

Franklin loses by 1 pt to OSU in 2017 and 2018. has the lead in the 4th quarter in 2022. a one score game in the 4th quarter in 2023. psu loses every single one of those

against michigan it has been more back and forth each season, but recall that last year psu was leading in the 3rd quarter

it is not solely a talent issue. psu hangs with these teams. it is just not probable to lose every one of those games if the coaching is an even matchup
I agree that Franklin gets tight shorts in big games but sometimes it's also the players lack of confidence. 2 yrs ago we had Michigan beat when 2 DBs ran into each other giving UM a long TD.

I agree that Franklin gets tight shorts in big games but sometimes it's also the players lack of confidence. 2 yrs ago we had Michigan beat when 2 DBs ran into each other giving UM a long TD.
Nah it’s always Franklin’s fault. I guess he was on the field when the Michigan TE took a simple 5 yard pass over the middle 60 yards for the game clinching TD.

We averaged 1.88 yards per carry against OSU. Maybe that is why we abandoned the run game. I've read for two years how teams have "stacked the box" to stop our run game. If our OL coaches can not figure out how to counter that other than passing, they need find another job. OSU's LB's have rarely been at the LOS against us, yet they step right into our backfield and stop our RB's, if their DL doesn't do it beforehand.

Washington's run blocking looks like an NFL team; they move people off the ball with the same or lesser talent than we have on the OL. No more excuses.
Singleton averaged 5.3, and should have had a Hell of a lot more than 9 carries.

Reactions: doctornick

Seriously??? In Conference Games, PSU is 13th of 14 teams in penalties called on B1G opponents (4.8 penalties per game for 37.8 penalty yards per game - only Rutgers worse with 37.2 penalty yards on B1G opponents). We are 12th of 14 in "Penalties Against" in B1G games at 54.7 penalty yards per game.

I'm thinking that the B1G administrators don't really want Michigan being the national face of the conference due to their accumulation of broken rules and growing scandals.

Therefore, the referines have been ordered not to provide their standard deference to the maize and blue.

Just a theory at this point, but PSU may benefit and get a cleanly officiated game. Which would be nice.

Reactions: 81b&w and Jerry

So Washington's OL looks like our OL did versus Utah, their conference champion? Big surprise - maybe it has a lot to do with the Pac 12.

Which would be the case if the bastards played fair. Instead they know all our plays.

So Washington's OL looks like our OL did versus Utah, their conference champion? Big surprise - maybe it has a lot to do with the Pac 12.
I watched the UW vs USC game and as much as I hate USC I felt bad for their defense. They are absolutely horrible. I think they are giving up over 30 points per game and they've played some bad teams. I swear I was counting their players thinking they only had 9 or 10 on most plays. I'm sure our oline would look pretty good against them.

I certainly agree about the PAC 12 defenses, but I don't know if we have had a RB rush for about 254 yards in one game, even against the numerous cupcakes we have played.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed this Sat since we couldn't run for shit against UM last year. And, I hope this OL can keep UM's pass rush off of Allar. There is nothing wrong with our pass rush and I hope it comes through Sat.

I hope I'm dead wrong about this OL and will be more than happy to "eat crow" this weekend. Enjoy the game, and please lets converse after the game since I will be thrilled to say I was wrong.

I think the "Beau package" serves two purposes:

1) It gives teams (Michigan) something else to worry about. The both Qbs on the field at the same time is a new wrinkle.

2) While they are busy worrying about flea flickers etc, Beau is definitely a threat to run in a way Drew is not (Drew runs better than people give him credit for, but isn't Beau).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT