ADVERTISEMENT

Football Michigan defeats Penn State, 24-15

Well at least with McCarthy going game manager mode his stats today take him out of the Heisman race. I mean, I’m watching Harrison jr. look like Randy Moss - a JJ McCarthy is not in the same athletic solar system as Harrison and should not be taking any votes from him.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Well at least with McCarthy going game manager mode his stats today take him out of the Heisman race. I mean, I’m watching Harrison jr. look like Randy Moss - a JJ McCarthy is not in the same athletic solar system as Harrison and should not be taking any votes from him.

McCarthy is accurate, but today definitely hurt him in the Heisman race.

The cynic in me thinks she was hired because they wanted to de-emphasize athletics and thought she'd be the perfect person to do so unwittingly after her tenure at Cal left that program crippled with debt.
California Memorial Stadium ("CMS") sits directly over an earthquake fault (the Hayward Fault). CMS was built in 1923. It was seriously in need of seismic strengthening if Cal was going to continue using it. The east side of the stadium is built into the earth, but the west side is not, and could have been a real danger if an earthquake of significant strength occurred. Building a new stadium in Berkeley was not a viable option. Land acquisition costs alone would have been prohibitive.

The University's decision to retrofit CMS was in no way Sandy Barbour's decision. That decision was made well above her pay grade, and reflected a conclusion by the U.C. administration that the liability risk of doing nothing was just too great.

California Memorial Stadium ("CMS") sits directly over an earthquake fault (the Hayward Fault). CMS was built in 1923. It was seriously in need of seismic strengthening if Cal was going to continue using it. The east side of the stadium is built into the earth, but the west side is not, and could have been a real danger if an earthquake of significant strength occurred. Building a new stadium in Berkeley was not a viable option. Land acquisition costs alone would have been prohibitive.

The University's decision to retrofit CMS was in no way Sandy Barbour's decision. That decision was made well above her pay grade, and reflected a conclusion by the U.C. administration that the liability risk of doing nothing was just too great.
I stand corrected. That was the reputation she had, but it sounds like it was unfair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT