ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing lots of rumblings of white out being Illinois, if so, we ought to not show up and instead

EdwardoCarrachio

Dec 15, 2023
show up in all white for the Ohio St game. We cannot allow the clowns in charge to dilute and degrade one of the best events in college football. Make the statement very clear to those scheduling this stuff. Half full stadium for your white out if Illinois type of opponent, we are still bringing the white out for Ohio St type of opponent.

show up in all white for the Ohio St game. We cannot allow the clowns in charge to dilute and degrade one of the best events in college football. Make the statement very clear to those scheduling this stuff. Half full stadium for your white out if Illinois type of opponent, we are still bringing the white out for Ohio St type of opponent.
Just wear black.

Its college football.

The schedule didn't set up well for a white out game in September with two away games and a bye that month. But it is a very exciting schedule, overall, compared to recent years. I don't think the B1G took the white out into account when putting this together.

39b3c19c-8152-48c0-8ab5-eee60d15738b_text.gif

Its college football.

The schedule didn't set up well for a white out game in September with two away games and a bye that month. But it is a very exciting schedule, overall, compared to recent years. I don't think the B1G took the white out into account when putting this together.

39b3c19c-8152-48c0-8ab5-eee60d15738b_text.gif
I think they did.

The WO was huge and getting bigger. Gave us a huge game day advantage and a huge advantage in recruiting. Meyer whined about it, Michigan got totally embarrassed and ………*BOOM* all of a sudden ‘the schedule’ doesn’t allow either one to be a WO ! For five straight years!

Helluva co inky dunce

Last edited:

The white out being some sort of sanctioned event is the issue.

It's a fan choice and thus can be on whatever game the fans choose.

Kraft needs to step up here, and definitely for the future. If Illinois is true, they are killing off their 1 great advantage and ‘event’ that gets national attention. The last 3 white outs will have been Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois.

If the Big Ten can make scheduling exceptions so that Ohio State and Michigan always get their game on the same day, same time, with other protected rivals etc, they can make sure PSU has a good night home game in late September/ early October for the White out. Rotate through USC, OSU, Michigan, Washington, Oregon, UCLA. There’s plenty of flexibility in that request.

With social media, it would not be very hard to establish a fan-led whiteout for any game. Once Ill is officially announced, there would be plenty of time to start the campaign.

You think nobody should show up for the game against Illinois if it's the White Out? How could that possibly help the program? You want the players, who don't set the schedule, to play in an empty stadium? This is the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Reactions: CZM and Lion_Backer
I think they did.

The WO was huge and getting bigger. Gave us a huge game day advantage and a huge advantage in recruiting. Meyer whined about it, Michigan got totally embarrassed and ………*BOOM* all of a sudden ‘the schedule’ doesn’t allow either one to be a WO ! For five straight years!

Helluva co inky dunce
You give them credit for being smart. I don't think they are. They are not evil geniuses. I think they love tOSU and UM, to a fault. They don't understand the downside to that plan (vs. the SEC).

So my point is that I think they are just ignorant. We'll see what they do next year. Having said that, I have no idea why we always start the B1G season on the road.

Reactions: bison13
That will show them lol

Last edited:
You give them credit for being smart. I don't think they are. They are not evil geniuses. I think they love tOSU and UM, to a fault. They don't understand the downside to that plan (vs. the SEC).

So my point is that I think they are just ignorant. We'll see what they do next year. Having said that, I have no idea why we always start the B1G season on the road.
Doesn’t take a genius to see how the WO benefited us in multiple ways….game advantage, recruiting, financially, brand, fame, envy.

And adjusting schedules doesn’t take genius. The WO was becoming bigger then the annual Game of the Century and everyone was putting it in their bucket list.

Strange how it suddenly became ‘impossible’ to schedule either Titan for a home game in Oct.

Doesn’t take genius….. just the evil part.

Last edited:
You think nobody should show up for the game against Illinois if it's the White Out? How could that possibly help the program? You want the players, who don't set the schedule, to play in an empty stadium? This is the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Appeasement doesn't work. If you allow them to water down the white out, then it is no longer special. Money talks. A half empty stadium and a fan led white out for Ohio St makes the message so clear that it cannot be misunderstood.

Doesn’t take a genius to see how the WO benefited us in multiple ways….game advantage, recruiting, financially, brand, fame, envy.

And adjusting schedules doesn’t take genius. The WO was becoming bigger then the annual Game of the Century and everyone was putting it in their bucket list.

Strange how it suddenly became ‘impossible’ to schedule either Titan for a home game in Oct.

Doesn’t take genius….. just the evil part.
Agree but I think they had their hands full with exploding the old schedules, working with what out-of-conference games were already committed, working within the multi-use arenas (UCLA/USC have stadiums that are used all year buy other sports and teams), travel, traditional rivals, and things that I can only dream of. (Unions, vendors, TV, Radio, food, traffic, city politics, and so much more).

I expect next year to be better but am happy to have a great lineup this year.

The sad thing is that I could have made the exact opposite argument, show up and make it the loudest white out ever, and you would have written the same thing in response. You are predictably controlled by your emotions and political owners. Try thinking for yourself sometime.
So based on the schedule what do you propose for the whiteout? There’s really only two options Illinois or UCLA. November doesn’t work. Only hurting the team with your proposed half full stadium which isn’t going to happen. Why do you feel the need to complain about everything? Maybe you should go back to work.

Reactions: wilbury
Agree but I think they had their hands full with exploding the old schedules, working with what out-of-conference games were already committed, working within the multi-use arenas (UCLA/USC have stadiums that are used all year buy other sports and teams), travel, traditional rivals, and things that I can only dream of. (Unions, vendors, TV, Radio, food, traffic, city politics, and so much more).

I expect next year to be better but am happy to have a great lineup this year.
I also expected us to open at home after maybe the first back-to-back road starts but a decade plus later, I realized that other considerations were more important to the Big 2.

So based on the schedule what do you propose for the whiteout? There’s really only two options Illinois or UCLA. November doesn’t work. Only hurting the team with your proposed half full stadium which isn’t going to happen. Why do you feel the need to complain about everything? Maybe you should go back to work.
Why do you feel the need to limpwrist everything? Oh, they are doing this to us. I guess I'll have to accept it. Oh, everything is 25% more expensive. I guess it's fine. Oh, Russia only wants Crimea. I guess it's fine.

Have a backbone. When the results are less than you expect, don't condone it by keeping quiet and doing exactly what you are told. Appeasement doesn't work Neville.

UCLA is the minimally acceptable white out (opponent not great but new west coast to the conference welcome). It still needs to be Ohio St. I don't care about the date. It's still decently warm lots of times on Nov 2nd and why did the big ten force Ohio St into Nov instead of earlier in the season when it made sense for a white out?

Nov 2nd works. Thanks to global warming early Nov is more like mid to late Oct used to be.

No guarantees in weather as we have had snow in mid Oct. So if Nov 2nd is cold and/or wet just put a shite pillow case or white garbage bag over your winter clothing. Easy peasy……🤷🏻‍♀️

Nov 2nd works. Thanks to global warming early Nov is more like mid to late Oct used to be.

No guarantees in weather as we have had snow in mid Oct. So if Nov 2nd is cold and/or wet just put a shite pillow case or white garbage bag over your winter clothing. Easy peasy……🤷🏻‍♀️
Yep, given the schedule, that would be my preference and a great intro to the west coast who may not have paid much attention (and to help out our new SoCal DB recruit!). But the suits at PSU may see it differently. UCLA will be sold out and have a lot of energy/excitement. They may be seeing whiteouts as a way to generate excitement that isn't there. No need to have one vs UM or tOSU from a PR marketing standpoint.

20 years ago we moved my parents in 70 degree whether in January in PA. The weather argument is dumb. A few weeks difference? Who cares?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yep, given the schedule, that would be my preference and a great intro to the west coast who may not have paid much attention (and to help out our new SoCal DB recruit!). But the suits at PSU may see it differently. UCLA will be sold out and have a lot of energy/excitement. They may be seeing whiteouts as a way to generate excitement that isn't there. No need to have one vs UM or tOSU from a PR marketing standpoint.
Well, if they are doing weaker white out opponents to fill seats on weaker games then it will eventually backfire big time. They will destroy the white out experience. The white out exists for a big game, not the other way around.

Well, if they are doing weaker white out opponents to fill seats on weaker games then it will eventually backfire big time. They will destroy the white out experience. The white out exists for a big game, not the other way around.
yeah. and we've never known big businesses to milk the cow so much that it backfired on them.

I honestly think that they just f-ed up. This season blew the template that they've used for over a decade: keep the tOSU/UM game for the end, alternate home and away, trump up some kind of rivalry week, etc. With the west coast teams, that got blown up. They were under the gun to get the season scheduled and did the best they could with the time they had. I expect improvements for next season.

Why do you feel the need to limpwrist everything? Oh, they are doing this to us. I guess I'll have to accept it. Oh, everything is 25% more expensive. I guess it's fine. Oh, Russia only wants Crimea. I guess it's fine.

Have a backbone. When the results are less than you expect, don't condone it by keeping quiet and doing exactly what you are told. Appeasement doesn't work Neville.

UCLA is the minimally acceptable white out (opponent not great but new west coast to the conference welcome). It still needs to be Ohio St. I don't care about the date. It's still decently warm lots of times on Nov 2nd and why did the big ten force Ohio St into Nov instead of earlier in the season when it made sense for a white out?
knickslion:
Wear your mask
get your 8th vax
stay 6 feet away
close the restaurants and churches
I like Soylent Green
All of this make sense because the federal govt told me!

I like the idea of having different teams for the Whiteout. It gives more college football fans the opportunity to experience it. You can always have the Helmet Strip, aka James Franklin’s “Sneaky Whiteout,” for other big games.

The real issue is Noon games suck. And it’s even worse if it’s an 11am game at Northwestern.
Would love to see UCLA or Oregon as WO any year …… if they were undefeated and ranked top ten and Ohio State had a loss or two. It’s great to have teams and fan bases to experience the AO. The Auborn people loved it and it generated great respect between the two.

But UCLA hasn’t been a great program for a while. And moving the Two Titans of the B2G out of WO scheduling is chicken💩

I like the idea of having different teams for the Whiteout. It gives more college football fans the opportunity to experience it. You can always have the Helmet Strip, aka James Franklin’s “Sneaky Whiteout,” for other big games.

The real issue is Noon games suck. And it’s even worse if it’s an 11am game at Northwestern.
They do suck for many reasons. However, last season, the OSU-PSU game was at noon, and I believe that OSU had their blackout game in November against a terrible MSU team. Also, the OU-Texas and Michigan-OSU games always start at noon now.

I don't like it either, but it just seems that the networks want their best matchups in the afternoon rather than at night, which is based probably on intricate viewership studies. Except for a few games, the NBC Saturday Night slate was awful last season.

perhaps we should actually wait until there is info before we start complaining. The main “rumbling” about Illinois seems to revolve around a tentative NBC schedule which is very subject to change. No reason to jump to conclusions yet.

I’m still betting on UCLA.

Ignore that guy ... he's lonely and sad, and spends his time telling everyone he's not doing things, trying to get others to not do things ... as a sad attempt to feel important. It's his thing. He stormed off the board because he didn't get his way, stating he wasn't coming back ... and then he came back. Let him pout and throw his fits. If you pay him attention, it'll only encourage the behavior, like a young, bratty child.

Yes indeed.

Anyone who cares more about the white out (a spectacle that I love, for the record) than supporting the team, is not a real PSU fan.

Ignore that guy ... he's lonely and sad, and spends his time telling everyone he's not doing things, trying to get others to not do things ... as a sad attempt to feel important. It's his thing. He stormed off the board because he didn't get his way, stating he wasn't coming back ... and then he came back. Let him pout and throw his fits. If you pay him attention, it'll only encourage the behavior, like a young, bratty child.

Yeah, I noticed in another thread he was calling for a boycott of some sort. Maybe the next time they leave they can come back with a new username. Maybe "CancelCulture" could be their new one since they seem to want to cancel anything they disagree with.

Anyone who cares more about the white out (a spectacle that I love, for the record) than supporting the team, is not a real PSU fan.
It is absolutely supporting the team to not accept a substandard opponent for white outs. It is not supporting the team to let the white out become a nothing burger. You have to have a long-term perspective.

Do you spend every dollar you have every paycheck on dumb stuff? Or do you choose not to spend a percentage and instead put it in investments that you will not see until some later time? I'm suggesting that we put our money away and invest in having better white out games in the future.

It is absolutely supporting the team to not accept a substandard opponent for white outs. It is not supporting the team to let the white out become a nothing burger. You have to have a long-term perspective.

Do you spend every dollar you have every paycheck on dumb stuff? Or do you choose not to spend a percentage and instead put it in investments that you will not see until some later time? I'm suggesting that we put our money away and invest in having better white out games in the future.
I'm suggesting that PSU has a very, very good chance to make the playoff this year and not showing fan support (especially for something that neither the coach nor the players nor the administration has any control over) is counterproductive.

If you want to protest, protest Fox. Don't watch the game. Don't buy any products that advertise during the Big Noon game. Let fox know (on social media etc) that you are doing this.

(that's also unlikely to accomplish anything, but it would be orders of magnitude more effective than boycotting the white out).

PSU winning is more important than the White Out.

knickslion:
Wear your mask
get your 8th vax
stay 6 feet away
close the restaurants and churches
I like Soylent Green
All of this make sense because the federal govt told me!
Find one post where I promoted any of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT