ADVERTISEMENT

Herbie has Oklahoma #1

Clemson lost their QB. Tough shit. PSU’s defense was decimated by injuries in losses to both Pitt and UM last year. The committee didn’t care about that.

Bloody SYR beat Clemson. Clemson’s 3rd QB could likely start at SYR. You need to STFU a little bit. Pain in the ass is all your are.

We'll see what the committee says. Bet you I'm right...that's the discussion. What will happen. Stop saying stupid things and I'll stop replying

Intelligent reply
Smarter than anything you’ve posted. You’re nothing but a 2 bit blowhard. They could use you at the WH. That place is full of jagoff blowhards like you.

I need to put you on ignore before I tell you what I really think about people like you.

How many times have you watched Miami this year? They struggled against a lot of average/poor teams.

but you're fine giving a pass to Oklahoma's 1-score wins over a 1-9 Baylor team and a 5-5 Texas squad? Why are Miami's close wins worse than OU's?

but you're fine giving a pass to Oklahoma's 1-score wins over a 1-9 Baylor team and a 5-5 Texas squad? Why are Miami's close wins worse than OU's?

Because Oklahoma has better quality wins. You realize I have them separated by one spot, right? Both make the playoff if they win out. Miami also probably makes it if they lose to UVa or Pitt then beat Clemson. Miami repeatedly struggled and their second best win is....Va Tech?

What assumption was made? Do you even know what that word means?
Clemson was without their QB for half of that game--fact
Miami has struggled with bad team--fact
What wasn't a fact?
Are you one of those people that love Penn State but hate college football?

Penn State lost their starting DE and LT against OSU on the road and lost by one point after leading for 58 min & 12 secs.

Not to mention what it took for them to lose at MSU on the final play.

If college football wants really great ratings it should go to a 10 game season followed by a 32 team playoff. It would be more popular than the college basketball tournament; more popular than the NFL

You're not serious. Who would want to watch a number 1 smoke a number 32? The first two rounds, at least, would be ratings nightmares.

Again--resume. Our best win is Northwestern. They'll be the highest ranked team. That says volumes. Schedule better and don't lose to a team that has been destroyed in multiple games. We're in the 12-14 range. You keep focusing on close losses but ignore everything else including quality wins and the eye test. We have the best back in the college game and he's useless because of the line.

Iowa State has 2 top 10 wins--don't ignore that. We didn't beat Iowa State. We beat a 6-4 Iowa team that won't be ranked tomorrow on the final play of the of game. I'm being unbiased not a fan like oyu
A fan is supposed to be biased...hence the word fan. And I'm not sure how you get a 7-3 NW team is a better win than an 8-2 UM team.

Reactions: Judge Smails
What wasn't a fact?
Clemson was losing to Syracuse with their starting QB- fact.

This is why they need a real playoff with conference champs. Some guy like 78 Sweetrevenge (maybe actually Herbie) can throw out a few facts in defense on any ranking, no matter that they are not consistent. And these po]eople cannot pick the winner of Top25 matchups better than a coin flip. This is why their opinion should be meaningless, like every other sport in America.

If college football wants really great ratings it should go to a 10 game season followed by a 32 team playoff. It would be more popular than the college basketball tournament; more popular than the NFL
Really it would be a 6 game season with 4 cupcakes, showing the committee nothing.

Clemson was losing to Syracuse with their starting QB- fact.

They were. Clemson was not good that day at all but you & I (and everyone) know that the committee is going to look at is as a loss with their backup QB.

Clemson has that win against Auburn which is helping them right now...that's a better win IMO than ND

Also, not directed toward you, a ton of people would watch 1 vs 32 or 2 vs 31...see March Madness. We've seen 15s beat 2s which is the equivalent of 5-8 losing to 57-60. If Syraucse can beat Clemson or Iowa destroy Ohio State why can't a team in the low 30s beat a 1, 2 or 3. It won't happen often but it can. Plus, then the Sun Belt, CUSA, AAC, MAC and MWC champions are actually included. As it stands they have no chance regardless of how talented they are.

They were. Clemson was not good that day at all but you & I (and everyone) know that the committee is going to look at is as a loss with their backup QB.

Clemson has that win against Auburn which is helping them right now...that's a better win IMO than ND

Also, not directed toward you, a ton of people would watch 1 vs 32 or 2 vs 31...see March Madness. We've seen 15s beat 2s which is the equivalent of 5-8 losing to 57-60. If Syraucse can beat Clemson or Iowa destroy Ohio State why can't a team in the low 30s beat a 1, 2 or 3. It won't happen often but it can. Plus, then the Sun Belt, CUSA, AAC, MAC and MWC champions are actually included. As it stands they have no chance regardless of how talented they are.
I would rather see an 8 or 16 team playoff than a 32 team.

Really it would be a 6 game season with 4 cupcakes, showing the committee nothing.

Why would that be the case? It would enable teams to lose to other good teams without being penalized. The biggest problem right now is that a loss or two eliminates a team. Again, this is the only sport where a regular season loss pretty much ruins your season. You get penalized for playing a good schedule unless you win out in conference play which shouldn't be a requirement.

What assumption was made?

The difference is I actually follow the sport not just Penn State then watch a few other games. Same standard was applied...entire resume.

Three assumptions, and they're all wrong:

1. You're the only one who watches CFB. You're not.
2. You do not apply the same standards, you applied whatever standards best fit your narrative (a la Herbstreit, btw).
3. You're the smartest person in the room. You prove with each successive post how terribly wrong that one is.

Post away...I'm done paying attention.

Three assumptions, and they're all wrong:

1. You're the only one who watches CFB. You're not.
2. You do not apply the same standards, you applied whatever standards best fit your narrative (a la Herbstreit, btw).
3. You're the smartest person in the room. You prove with each successive post how terribly wrong that one is.

Post away...I'm done paying attention.
Your assumptions--yet again--not mine

Clemson lost their QB. Tough shit. PSU’s defense was decimated by injuries in losses to both Pitt and UM last year. The committee didn’t care about that.

Bloody SYR beat Clemson. Clemson’s 3rd QB could likely start at SYR. You need to STFU a little bit. Pain in the ass is all your are.

Agree....how about all Penn State's issues in the loss's...Losing our starting DE and LT proved pretty [pivotal in tOSU game and that weather delay really F'ed up the MSU game as well......if we want to apply extenuating circumstances apply them evenly

Reactions: artsandletters
Agree....how about all Penn State's issues in the loss's...Losing our starting DE and LT proved pretty [pivotal in tOSU game and that weather delay really F'ed up the MSU game as well......if we want to apply extenuating circumstances apply them evenly

Again--we lack quality wins...do you not grasp that? Michigan, Northwetern and Iowa isn't trumping 2 losses regardless of how close they were. We need a legit top 10-15 win which isn't on the resume.

I want to watch OKie and Wake Forest tee it up and see a Coll BB game break out... 96-84 somebody. :)

As someone who watches a lot of CFB other than PSU (and typically that means on tape... which has some upside)... I think the one thing we should agree on is that nobody has proved themselves as #1. Moreover, you can make solid cases for raising or lowering about anyone in the top 15.

What bothers me is the assumption that the SEC deserves its lofty status... put another way, who the hell did their teams beat outside the conference?

Miss St comes in at 16 (16!!) and gives bama a "quality win"... how the hell is msu #16? They got smoked by Georgia and Auburn. Smoked. They barely beat UMass (U fing Mass) at HOME. Claim to fame? Beating... LSU (handily).

And this mighty LSU? That's the team that squeaked past those titans from UF (lmao) and lost to Troy (yes, Helen, troy) and had a tough one with powerhouse Syracuse at home... not dome. But LSU beat Auburn, so they must be special.

And I'm hearing that LSU's "quality win" against Arkansas (pig soooooooey) keeps LSU relevant in the polls. Go look at Arkansas' record of incompetence.. they suck.

And the point is, a true playoff is required... not some mish mash garbage they're serving us now. Maybe the SEC is all that (Auburn right now looks like a legit contender... and aside from one egg, Georgia did its job well).. but they sure haven't proved it anywhere (unless somebody thinks bama's win over fsu was a quality win lmao). Until then, we're going to have these arguments and everyone is pretty much going to be right because a case can be built for just about anybody.

[Yes, Auburn "struggled" with Mercer (ahem) but they piled up yards and it was close only by virtue of TO's.. so I kinda give them a pass on that uggo.]

Hey, at least it keeps us entertained and our blood pressure nice and high lol.

Reactions: Option Bob
What wasn't a fact?

21guns?

It's kind of like arguing who is giving the wood to Charlize Theron. It ain't you. It won't be you. PSU is out, won't be in. But at least they are doing the prom queen.

I want to watch OKie and Wake Forest tee it up and see a Coll BB game break out... 96-84 somebody. :)

As someone who watches a lot of CFB other than PSU (and typically that means on tape... which has some upside)... I think the one thing we should agree on is that nobody has proved themselves as #1. Moreover, you can make solid cases for raising or lowering about anyone in the top 15.

What bothers me is the assumption that the SEC deserves its lofty status... put another way, who the hell did their teams beat outside the conference?

Miss St comes in at 16 (16!!) and gives bama a "quality win"... how the hell is msu #16? They got smoked by Georgia and Auburn. Smoked. They barely beat UMass (U fing Mass) at HOME. Claim to fame? Beating... LSU (handily).

And this mighty LSU? That's the team that squeaked past those titans from UF (lmao) and lost to Troy (yes, Helen, troy) and had a tough one with powerhouse Syracuse at home... not dome. But LSU beat Auburn, so they must be special.

And I'm hearing that LSU's "quality win" against Arkansas (pig soooooooey) keeps LSU relevant in the polls. Go look at Arkansas' record of incompetence.. they suck.

And the point is, a true playoff is required... not some mish mash garbage they're serving us now. Maybe the SEC is all that (Auburn right now looks like a legit contender... and aside from one egg, Georgia did its job well).. but they sure haven't proved it anywhere (unless somebody thinks bama's win over fsu was a quality win lmao). Until then, we're going to have these arguments and everyone is pretty much going to be right because a case can be built for just about anybody.

[Yes, Auburn "struggled" with Mercer (ahem) but they piled up yards and it was close only by virtue of TO's.. so I kinda give them a pass on that uggo.]

Hey, at least it keeps us entertained and our blood pressure nice and high lol.
And the conference overall isn't very good, thereby making the few good teams look better because they get to add onto their crappy OOC wins with crappy in conference wins.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
He isn't--at all. Ask any Ohio State fan.
I don't think Oklahoma should be #1 because of their defense but I won't be shocked at all if they win the whole thing this year
Herbie, regardless of your opinion of him, is the best in the business.
When the chips are down, you can absolutely count on Herbie to shill, hard, for tOSU. I would have no particular problem with that (he is a Buckeye, after all, and it is not surprising that a guy would support his alma mater), but for the fact that he tries to present himself as fully independent and unbiased. So when the tOSU encomiums and rationalizations come out of his mouth, it strikes you as hypocritical.

Reactions: Option Bob
When the chips are down, you can absolutely count on Herbie to shill, hard, for tOSU. I would have no particular problem with that (he is a Buckeye, after all, and it is not surprising that a guy would support his alma mater), but for the fact that he tries to present himself as fully independent and unbiased. So when the tOSU encomiums and rationalizations come out of his mouth, it strikes you as hypocritical.

Aside from the fact it isn't something that exists--just something you guys create because you see him as "a Buckeye". Blackledge, one of the very few others that do a great job of being unbiased, is the same way yet non Penn State fans think he's biased toward us. When they do games you only believe that because you're looking for it. Everyone can disagree with Herbie saying OU is #1 in his mind (I think it's Bama) but it isn't hard to understand why he thinks that. Yeah, they were unimpressive for 3 games (Baylor, Iowa State and Texas) in a row but who has better wins? Ohio State, TCU and Oklahoma State are all probably top 12. That's 3 high quality wins with 2 coming on the road. They're definitely one of the 7-8 teams in the mix right now.

Aside from the fact it isn't something that exists--just something you guys create because you see him as "a Buckeye". Blackledge, one of the very few others that do a great job of being unbiased, is the same way yet non Penn State fans think he's biased toward us. When they do games you only believe that because you're looking for it. Everyone can disagree with Herbie saying OU is #1 in his mind (I think it's Bama) but it isn't hard to understand why he thinks that. Yeah, they were unimpressive for 3 games (Baylor, Iowa State and Texas) in a row but who has better wins? Ohio State, TCU and Oklahoma State are all probably top 12. That's 3 high quality wins with 2 coming on the road. They're definitely one of the 7-8 teams in the mix right now.
I had no desire to debate you concerning who should be in this year's playoff. You make some defensible arguments there, but the plain fact is that there are important games left to play, so I regard debate on the subject as premature.

I was at one time a big Herbie booster, and I still like him. But the last few seasons (particularly last season) have revealed quite clearly that he is, for all his attempts to present himself as completely unbiased, a tOSU partisan. His "eye test" schtick last year tore that mask of supposed neutrality right off his face. I still enjoy watching him, but I take ANYTHING he says regarding tOSU, PSU and UM with a grain of salt. Nothing wrong with that. There are FAR bigger homers working college games. Jesse Palmer and David Pollock shill their teams, and the SEC, mercilessly.

Reactions: JJTopp99
He isn't--at all. Ask any Ohio State fan.
I don't think Oklahoma should be #1 because of their defense but I won't be shocked at all if they win the whole thing this year
Herbie, regardless of your opinion of him, is the best in the business.

No, he isn't.

I never watch ESPN except for the actual football games. My friends who do watch it tell me that Todd Blackldge is not part of the crew allowed to opine about playoff-worthy teams. They tell me that there are 2 Buckeyes, however, on that crew.

Could you please post some quotes from Blackledge where he pushes a Penn State agenda? thanks.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I never watch ESPN except for the actual football games. My friends who do watch it tell me that Todd Blackldge is not part of the crew allowed to opine about playoff-worthy teams. They tell me that there are 2 Buckeyes, however, on that crew.

Could you please post some quotes from Blackledge where he pushes a Penn State agenda? thanks.

Re-read what I said--I said, like Herbie, Todd is unbiased but non-Penn State fans disagree because they create something that doesn't exist--like many here do with Herbie.

I think Joey Galloway (another tOSU alum working for ESPN) does a better job of not stumping for his alma mater than Herbie does, but I nevertheless like Herbie a little more than Galloway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT