ADVERTISEMENT

Holy Toledo vs Temple Tonight!

Temple got just a December 22nd bowl game? They obviously haven't arrived yet.

Yeah, that is embarrassing. They went from top of the world to crashing down REAL quick. Best season they'll ever have and they get rewarded with a friday night game against Toledo. Ouch.

Reactions: fairgambit
Ah, they had a great year, a lot of fun for their fans. My best friend from Levittown is an Owl and there was a lot of texting back and forth. Terrific guy, Bob, 100% loyal, so, Go Owls!!!

7PM Eastern / ESPN
Ah, ILLINOIS, I was having a perfectly good day and then you had to bring up TEMPLE. For me, that's like waiving a red cape in front of a bull. As is my custom, I won't be watching the game but I will follow the score. Over the course of this season I have come to love and respect the Temple football tradition, and their millions of fans, so I predict Temple will win 56-3.:)

Temple fans are claiming their team next year will be better than this year!
Not clear how they come to this conclusion, however, with their leaders on defense, leaving.
Considering the mental ability of the average Temple fan, it's hard to understand how they come to any conclusion.

Ah, they had a great year, a lot of fun for their fans. My best friend from Levittown is an Owl and there was a lot of texting back and forth. Terrific guy, Bob, 100% loyal, so, Go Owls!!!
Being a big Temple fan, I'm with you Jim. GO OWLS! :)

Reactions: LionJim
Ah, ILLINOIS, I was having a perfectly good day and then you had to bring up TEMPLE. For me, that's like waiving a red cape in front of a bull. As is my custom, I won't be watching the game but I will follow the score. Over the course of this season I have come to love and respect the Temple football tradition, and their millions of fans, so I predict Temple will win 56-3.:)

Come on, come on, come on.....you gotta know any / every team in the country can score a minimum of 10 points on Temple.....after all, PSU did!

Come on, come on, come on.....you gotta know any / every team in the country can score a minimum of 10 points on Temple.....after all, PSU did!
Ah, but my Temple lads have had extra time to prepare for these Toledo Mud Hens Rockets and they are going to show the world that they were deserving of a much better bowl game, maybe the Rose Bowl or something. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 91Joe95
Temple got just a December 22nd bowl game? They obviously haven't arrived yet.

They don't have great tie-ins with their conference. When they lost the conference championship, they reviewed their options and sought out tonight's game. In interviews with the coach and AD after the bowl announcements, they indicated that they had focused on this game, and how happy they were to get it.

The Philadelphia Inquirer has done a lot of advance coverage of this game. I think it will be a close game, in part because the 2 teams are in many ways mirror images of each other.

Reactions: cment
They don't have great tie-ins with their conference. When they lost the conference championship, they reviewed their options and sought out tonight's game. In interviews with the coach and AD after the bowl announcements, they indicated that they had focused on this game, and how happy they were to get it.

The Philadelphia Inquirer has done a lot of advance coverage of this game. I think it will be a close game, in part because the 2 teams are in many ways mirror images of each other.

Is this therefore the A T & T Bowl? Hope neither team calls it in.....or phones home!

Reactions: T J
If Temple wins, they can call it a great year. Beat PSU, college gameday in Philly for nationally televised game where they lost but played really well, bowl game win, Top 20 finish. That is a great year. Obviously if they would have beat ND and/or won their conference would have been even better, but they still have a chance to call it a great year with a win.

6 offensive starters gone, 7 defensive starters gone, kicker gone. Matakevich, the undisputed big play maker and leader, gone.

They DO have Walker and that RB back, provided he doesn't leave for the draft. Their best offensive lineman, Friend, is also gone.

Somehow, they will be better next year. Did I miss a top 20 recruiting class from 3 years ago? Someone inform us how they are going to be automatically "better" next year?

Go Owls. Our bowl game last year was in the Bronx, in a baseball stadium. So....we are not that far removed from having to accept what we could.

It was close to New Year's Day and therefore played in the heart of the real bowl season. It also was a good match-up. I know some folks have an issue with a bowl game being played in NYC, in a baseball stadium, no less, but I thought it was great (I was there).

Reactions: Pocono Lion
It was close to New Year's Day and therefore played in the heart of the real bowl season. It also was a good match-up. I know some folks have an issue with a bowl game being played in NYC, in a baseball stadium, no less, but I thought it was great (I was there).

I was too, and it was at the low of the Big Ten spectrum; it was good for the Bowl committee because of the fan base. But, make not mistake about it - we were all excited to be there. And as such, we should not really bash Temple - they cannot control what their conference bowl alignments are. They did have a good season and they should be able to enjoy the Bowl game- in a climate much warmer than the Bronx.

Reactions: LionJim
Could there possibly be a mention of *gasp* Joe Paterno at some point tonight?

Temple fans are claiming their team next year will be better than this year!

Not clear how they come to this conclusion, however, with their leaders on defense, leaving.

Don't think they will be better but they will be pretty decent. We REALLY need to pay attention to beat them next year.

Temple may have turned a corner to becoming a decent program. Primarily by Rhule not leaving. The team will not be as good next year but will be good enough to give us a game. Will be nice to see if our BB program can have a year like Temple football just had. Yep, any day now :)

Temple may have turned a corner to becoming a decent program. Primarily by Rhule not leaving. The team will not be as good next year but will be good enough to give us a game. Will be nice to see if our BB program can have a year like Temple football just had. Yep, any day now :)
Once again, expect something in your mail from Tim Curley, Ed DeChellis, and Uncle Larry Fall, regarding copyright infringement of the term "turn the corner"....

Say what you want about Temple's bowl game, but the fact they stayed at the PGA National Resort and Spa in Palm Beach Gardens is a hell of a nice perk. Home of the Honda Classic.

I thank the B1G for nothing: I despise the conference, everyone in it, and every single thing about it.

As always, I will be rooting for every team that plays them in every bowl game, and will be throwing parties when each one of them loses.

Go Bama, Roll Tide.
Needless to say, I'm with you on this.

What a bunch of losers. I hope they enjoyed the ride because their crappy program is going back to the ghetto of college football in 2016.
Don't tell them: Somehow they are going to be much better next year, simply reloading to make up for the 6 missing starters on offense, 7 missing starters on defense, and both kickers.

It appears those fine Temple lads are going to lose tonight. I just feel so badly for their many fine fans who have visited us here. I am beside myself with grief. Ever since my Temple board friends educated me on what a great team they are, I saw the light and started picking Temple to win. That has resulted in them losing 5 of 8. My pick today of the Owls to win 56-3 was really off the mark. Oh woe is me!
Sad-Cryingmed.gif

Last edited:
Loved Toledo's" hurry-up but let's not go crazy" Offense and their willingness to challenge Temple's DB's down the field. Toledo's QB showed you don't need an NFL arm to play well and win in college. You just need to know to take what they give ya, keep poised in the pocket, throw a catchable ball.The kid played a great game under less than comfortable playing conditions. Toledo played well, didn't beat themselves.....thought their D for the most part tackled very well. Considering the weather thought both teams played well

One of my friends, a pitt fan, was texting me when Toledo was beating Temple that since Toledo is better than Temple they must be better than PSU. My response was that Toledo winning was actually bad for pitt since Toledo and pitt go head to head for the leftover recruits from oh-high-ya and PA..... When I later looked over pitt's commits there are a surprising number of them that pitt actually did go head to head with against Toledo. pitt managed to win those battles but look out for Toledo now!!!

Interesting follow up to the Temple loss. On the BWI Bowl Pick'em, of 62 entries, 60 picked Temple to win. Only 2 picked Toledo...NORCAL LION and me! I publicly picked Temple to blow out Toledo, but deep down, I had my doubts, so I went with my gut on Pick'em and Toledo delivered.:)

One of my friends, a pitt fan, was texting me when Toledo was beating Temple that since Toledo is better than Temple they must be better than PSU. My response was that Toledo winning was actually bad for pitt since Toledo and pitt go head to head for the leftover recruits from oh-high-ya and PA..... When I later looked over pitt's commits there are a surprising number of them that pitt actually did go head to head with against Toledo. pitt managed to win those battles but look out for Toledo now!!!
Yes...because higher star ratings mean so much more than actually winning games?:confused:

You lose 7 of those 11 players next year, and all of your team leaders and play makers.
See you next fall at Beaver Stadium.
It amazes me that even after the "best team in Temple history" finished with 4 losses, including a blowout in a "no one cares" bowl game, some of their fans feel a need to seek justification for their pathetic program by visiting here and casting stones. They are Rutgers "light". A program with no history, no fans, and no hope. Not even Matt Rhule can save this train wreck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT