ADVERTISEMENT

How long can it last!?

When will the outrage on HR over Prince Spence being good finally die down?

• By their next match

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By BIGS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By the end of the season

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • By their next team championship

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • When he moves to the NLWC

Votes: 48 90.6%

• Total voters
In 2025, when Starocci is on the path to national title number 5 to pass Iowa's GOAT, as well as everyone else, I expect a standing ovation in Iowa City led by Gabe Arnold to acknowledge his greatness.
Perhaps Gabe Arnold won't even be wrestling by this time. Between hating wrestling,being replaced by a portal guy, and the long list of mysterious injuries that haunt all Iowa wrestlers he might want to invest in a plan B. I'm sure the world won't miss his exciting matches where he stands around doing nothing.

Just think how they’d treat a guy who went 159-0, won 3 Hodge Trophies, was named OW at NCAAs all 4 years, and capped it off with Olympic Gold

They’d probably respect him enough to spell his name correctly, right?
You forgot his biggest accomplishment. He sucked at Iowa State. Just ask them.

Also: If Spencer chose Penn St from the beginning, most PSU fans would feel completely different.
What do you mean? Somehow think he's not great? He's not the GOAT, not even close, he's an all time great and probably the best 125 ever. If he was at PSU I'd say the same.

The reason for the outrage is the past couple years Iowa has caught hell for Carver fans screaming racial taunts at visiting competitors and the feigned outrage is meant to deflect and say see those PSU phucks are no better than us.
Yup. this 100%

Setting aside the notion that all PSU fans have a singular opinion on Spencer, what would change?

Spencer Lee is one of the greatest NCAA wrestlers ever. He's in the group just below Cael, the guy pretty much everyone acknowledges is on top. I think that's the general feeling among the PSU (and most every) fanbase.

All the other insinuations and shitty little comments (at least here) has a lot more to do with the BWI vs HR internet pissing contest than anyone not giving Spencer Lee his due.
Great wrestler - yeah! Personality wise … he’s in a group just below Nicky Nails.

Also: If Spencer chose Penn St from the beginning, most PSU fans would feel completely different.
That's it exactly. Sadly many from our fan base bitch about losing to Cael, talk about how much he cheats, etc., but the reality is that he's the best coach in wrestling right now and it's not even close. And along the same lines as what you said about Spencer, I guarantee you that if Cael was coaching at Iowa and we were beating PSU consistently, our fans would love Cael big time....just like we would have loved DT, Zain, Nolf, and so on.
Same goes WRT all the whining about how PSU wrestlers stall. We wouldn't care about the perception that RBY stalls if RBY was wearing a black and gold singlet. Although I must say that even our fan base bitches about Nelson Brands and Jacob Warner not doing anything for the entire 7 minutes. They are the kings of stalling. Anyhow, I just wanted to take a minute to agree with you. Hopefully our fellas will show up to wrestle during B10s and NCAAs!

Also, for what it's worth I don't care who boos whom? Not sure why my brothers from Iowa got so wrapped up in the whole booing Spencer deal. We've all seen many of the greatest athletes in the world get booed. It is what it is. :)

That's it exactly. Sadly many from our fan base bitch about losing to Cael, talk about how much he cheats, etc., but the reality is that he's the best coach in wrestling right now and it's not even close. And along the same lines as what you said about Spencer, I guarantee you that if Cael was coaching at Iowa and we were beating PSU consistently, our fans would love Cael big time....just like we would have loved DT, Zain, Nolf, and so on.
Same goes WRT all the whining about how PSU wrestlers stall. We wouldn't care about the perception that RBY stalls if RBY was wearing a black and gold singlet. Although I must say that even our fan base bitches about Nelson Brands and Jacob Warner not doing anything for the entire 7 minutes. They are the kings of stalling. Anyhow, I just wanted to take a minute to agree with you. Hopefully our fellas will show up to wrestle during B10s and NCAAs!

Also, for what it's worth I don't care who boos whom? Not sure why my brothers from Iowa got so wrapped up in the whole booing Spencer deal. We've all seen many of the greatest athletes in the world get booed. It is what it is. :)
If last year's team championship had come down to the winner at 197 and Jake had beaten Max, there is not a single Hawk wrestling fan who would give a spit if he stalled for 7 minutes every match or not.

Reactions: creamery freak
If last year's team championship had come down to the winner at 197 and Jake had beaten Max, there is not a single Hawk wrestling fan who would give a spit if he stalled for 7 minutes every match or not.
giphy.gif

Perhaps, but hairs have to be split when making the list of 1-5 four timers. Everyone should have a hard time putting him higher than 3 on the current list of 4 timers even if he was in blue and white. Many dismiss Smith for some reason but let’s make this a discussion of Cael/Kyle/Lee. How does Lee get above Dake, who accepted the idea of putting it all on the line and risk being 4 timer to wrestle DT? Lee could have wrestled RBY without risking a 4th championship. Didn’t.

Spencer didn’t get booed because of any reason other than he didn’t move up to face RBY. The opportunity to put 5 combined championships on the mat at the same time was denied by Iowa and Spencer.

You cannot be be greater than several other wrestlers for that reason alone.

P
So in turn he would be higher ranked by you on your “all timer” list. Correct?
IF he was better than he is now, that could have translated into fewer losses during his career. Wouldn’t fewer losses potentially move him up any list?

Reactions: Petch
P

IF he was better than he is now, that could have translated into fewer losses during his career. Wouldn’t fewer losses potentially move him up any list?
Potentially. But what if those losses were pins? Or if he gave up back points? I’ve seen numerous posts stating because he was pinned and gives up back points he cannot be the best.

They just want something to feel good about I guess.

Perhaps, but hairs have to be split when making the list of 1-5 four timers. Everyone should have a hard time putting him higher than 3 on the current list of 4 timers even if he was in blue and white. Many dismiss Smith for some reason but let’s make this a discussion of Cael/Kyle/Lee. How does Lee get above Dake, who accepted the idea of putting it all on the line and risk being 4 timer to wrestle DT? Lee could have wrestled RBY without risking a 4th championship. Didn’t.

Spencer didn’t get booed because of any reason other than he didn’t move up to face RBY. The opportunity to put 5 combined championships on the mat at the same time was denied by Iowa and Spencer.

You cannot be be greater than several other wrestlers for that reason alone.
I disagree with some of your points. There is always going to be a group of fans that boo the other team. I was at the dual and there was a smattering of boos. It was not the majority of the fans in attendance.

Lee is dominant and I am glad to have had a chance to watch him the same as Ed Ruth, David Taylor, Bo Nickal and Jason Nolf.

I was never a fan of wrestling but when Sanderson showed up and you started to see dominant excellence of wrestlers it made me think it was strictly him and his influence. The longer I am around it I realize those guys are the unicorns and there are others that are great as well, just not in that same mold.

Lee moving up never occurred to me that evening. I think the days of Jeff Prescott going up to wrestle Terry Brands are over. Everything today is very guarded.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Lee moving up never occurred to me that evening. I think the days of Jeff Prescott going up to wrestle Terry Brands are over. Everything today is very guarded.

Seth Gross vs Bryce Meredith wasn't that long ago. And hats off to Iowa State with what they did to Cornell this season.

Anyway, there is no way in the world TnT were going to risk a loss or even worse, an injury with Lee wrestling RBY.

Reactions: danoftw
Seth Gross vs Bryce Meredith wasn't that long ago. And hats off to Iowa State with what they did to Cornell this season.

Anyway, there is no way in the world TnT were going to risk a loss or even worse, an injury with Lee wrestling RBY.
Has Cael ever sent a guy up a weight for one dual against another #1 ranked guy?

I think it's a totally unrealistic expectation, even without the specific circumstances of Spencer (about 12 months from double ACL injury).

And if I'm being honest, seems like we (well, some) are just searching for something to criticize Spencer and/or the Brands about.

Cael did not bump Zain up to face Jason, nor Jason to face Cenzo, nor Cenzo to face Mark, nor Mark to face Bo.
Good point. Has Cael ever had a highly ranked guy wrestle up a weight for any reason at all?

I'm just not sure when this expectation started.

Has Cael ever sent a guy up a weight for one dual against another #1 ranked guy?

I think it's a totally unrealistic expectation, even without the specific circumstances of Spencer (about 12 months from double ACL injury).

And if I'm being honest, seems like we (well, some) are just searching for something to criticize Spencer and/or the Brands about.

Cael has never been in a position where that's a viable option. Just to be clear, I agree with TnT not moving up Lee to face RBY.

Reactions: Chris Watts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT