ADVERTISEMENT

I'd like to see another 4 or 5 star OL recruit for 2016!

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I know we have several commits, but we need to remember that most don't pan out! Let's maximize our chances to correct a big need ASAP!

I know we have several commits, but we need to remember that most don't pan out! Let's maximize our chances to correct a big need ASAP!

Do you have some statistical evidence that most 4/5 star OL commits don't pan out?

Last edited:

In college football you have needs at every position. The best leave early. I'll take 4-5 stars anywhere.

Do you have some statistical evidence that most 4/5 star OL commits don't pan out?
We have had lots of evidence that this has been a problem for Penn State over the years. We lost many for various reasons, and others have not performed to expectations. I can't actually remember ever recruiting a 5 star OL except maybe that kid from Daytona, FL who never made it for us.

We have had lots of evidence that this has been a problem for Penn State over the years. We lost many for various reasons, and others have not performed to expectations. I can't actually remember ever recruiting a 5 star OL except maybe that kid from Daytona, FL who never made it for us.

You don't remember PSU recruiting a 5 star OL, but make the statement that most don't pan out.

So you have no real evidence? Just observations about one school, PSU, from the past. OK.

Last edited:
I think it's absolutely accurate to say that most OL - particularly 4 and 5 star ones - haven't panned out at Penn State in the past. I'm not sure if I'd agree with the statement that most 4 and 5 star OL don't pan out throughout college football. I'm not sure why we had such a hard time developing OL during the later Joe years, but I suspect that that phenomenon was not present throughout college football.

I have no idea what the actual success rate of 4/5* OLs is but I don't think the OP is off on his sentiment. In general OLs will have to reshape their bodies (when they get to college) more than any other position. Even if a kid is close to his playing weight they are often asked to lose a lot of bad weight while putting on more good weight. In addition, due to their size these are often kids who have taken longer to grow into and comfortable (have control) with their bodies...I've heard stories of 1st round pick OLs who where literally still tripping over their own feet while in high school.

Also, OL is a position in which it is nearly impossible to cover up poor technique. While some kids come in more advanced than others, very few had to rely on technique in high school because they don't often go up against kids close to their size. With the possible exception of QB, OL is probably the most cerebral position in FB and you can't throw a kid out there on physical ability alone and expect it not to be a total disaster. Add the learning curve and growth curve together and OL is probably more of a crap shoot than any other position. So "over recruiting" the position should not be a concern imo.

You don't remember PSU recruiting a 5 star OL, but make the statement that most don't pan out.

So you have no real evidence? Just observations about one school, PSU, from the past. OK.
I was only referring to Penn State OL recruits. I could care less about other schools, but I would venture to guess that our ratio of stud : dud actual field performance for OL recruits is lower than most other schools.

This coaching team has thus far delivered a lot more than I would venture to guess, any of us hoped for. Way beyond what I thought would happen. I'll let it up to their judgement on who else they want

I first want to see what Chef Herb does with the ample talent he has been given over the past 7 months. It may not be an issue of signing more and higher stars.

Even Bill, Dick and Mac have cracked cold ones and are watching with interest.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT