ADVERTISEMENT

If Penn State want's to be in the class of Alabama, Clemson,

walleye38

Jul 29, 2003
and Ohio State, then they must recruit like them. You recruit the athletic , not the student. You know they are going to leave before they get their degree, but you are not concerned about their education. You are concerned about how they are going to perform on the field and prepare them for Pro Football. Please don't give me this "but we do it the right way", The days of Joe Pa are gone, as are the days of College Football. College Football is a farm system for the Pro's.

So you don’t believe in success with honor? It’s truly a choice between national championships or caring about academics? I’d say that CJF is caring about things other than championships, and the program is consistently in the next tier behind Bama, Clemson, and tOSU. How many other programs care only about winning and yet are not in the elite status, or even behind Penn State in the pecking order?

If Franklin really is preaching 50%/75% education versus 50%/25% Football, then he is not going to get the top recruits. The top recruits know they are a top recruit and they are influenced by their coaches, advisors, analysts, fellow recruits, and marketers. They know they are about 3-4 years away from a large paycheck in the NFL if they continue down the same path. Who is going to get them there? The schools that preach football more than education. The good/great football coaches who have a history of winning and putting players in the NFL. These great football coaches negatively recruit against other programs and coaches. The top recruits don’t want to play for coaches who have a history of losing to mediocre teams, epic collapses in big time games, or coaches who make comments that come back to bite them. Every football program preaches “family”.

and Ohio State, then they must recruit like them. You recruit the athletic , not the student. You know they are going to leave before they get their degree, but you are not concerned about their education. You are concerned about how they are going to perform on the field and prepare them for Pro Football. Please don't give me this "but we do it the right way", The days of Joe Pa are gone, as are the days of College Football. College Football is a farm system for the Pro's.
20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-LAYERS-beard-crop.png

Even Notre Dame, who likes to claim that they’re the only remaining “success with honor” program, is up to its eyeballs in corruption.

Reactions: RU31trap
No true. All they have to do is win!!

Reactions: psu1969a
Even if you completely omit the NFL draftees, do we know that Penn State student athletes tend to go on to live more a more successful life after football than the Bama, OSU, and Clemson players? Or do we just think that because it makes us feel good?

OSU has the same number of MNCs in the last 50 years as PSU. Clemson has 1 more I believe.

Reactions: ftlpsu and psuno1
Even if you completely omit the NFL draftees, do we know that Penn State student athletes tend to go on to live more a more successful life after football than the Bama, OSU, and Clemson players? Or do we just think that because it makes us feel good?

ALL of the Alabama, OSU, and Clemson grads that I know live a successful and happy life. So in my opinion, the sell of Penn State grads living a more successful life is simply not true.

I still think both can be accomplished.

Recruit the athletic? Skool not cuul.

If Franklin really is preaching 50%/75% education versus 50%/25% Football, then he is not going to get the top recruits. The top recruits know they are a top recruit and they are influenced by their coaches, advisors, analysts, fellow recruits, and marketers. They know they are about 3-4 years away from a large paycheck in the NFL if they continue down the same path. Who is going to get them there? The schools that preach football more than education. The good/great football coaches who have a history of winning and putting players in the NFL. These great football coaches negatively recruit against other programs and coaches. The top recruits don’t want to play for coaches who have a history of losing to mediocre teams, epic collapses in big time games, or coaches who make comments that come back to bite them. Every football program preaches “family”.

He's recruiting the parent and the player. I think the development aspect has been a strength. Guys are showing up huge in the combine and getting drafted. Plenty of PSU guys are getting to the NFL. Parents know their kid is going to be looked after and he's going to get both an education and have a chance to be in the NFL. That's the selling point for PSU. It always has been and it's worked out ok over a long time. I don't think you change who you are. Some adapting is fine. Winning matters too. Clemson's recruiting improved after winning a national title. Our blue chip talent gives us a shot most years. Now it seems more than ever an elite qb is the difference between the top teams and the next tier.

Had you bothered to do some research you would have discovered that the graduation rates of Alabama and Clemson aren't significantly below that of PSU. But why bother?

Reactions: katchthis and Bob78
So you don’t believe in success with honor? It’s truly a choice between national championships or caring about academics? I’d say that CJF is caring about things other than championships, and the program is consistently in the next tier behind Bama, Clemson, and tOSU. How many other programs care only about winning and yet are not in the elite status, or even behind Penn State in the pecking order?
No, you don't read. I believe what Joe and CJF do is the way to go, but if you want National Championship's today you have to do it the way Ohio State, Alabama , and Clemson do it. So, the fans should quit bitching and accept what is .

It’s total BS is what it is. We act like we are holy and almost Ivy League. It’s laughable. People need to rationalize I guess....

What is the reason that you want us to relax standards and be like Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State? That you don't get to see PSU in the New Year's eve final 4 that nobody watches? Serious question

Care to share some facts to back up your assertion.
Let's start with the basics. Do you think their large population of priests are the only priests on the planet to not be involved in sexual abuse?

Then let's grapple with the thought that 5-star athletes would go to South Bend, Indiana, where the program has been irrelevant for 40 years, just to get an education?

Then there's the notorious subway alumni, many of whom never set foot on campus in their lives, all living the legend of Knute Rockne and the Gipper, who would pay anything for their beloved Irish to win another title in their lifetime.

And then there are some specifics, like --> https://nypost.com/2016/11/22/notre-dame-football-punished-for-cheating-scandal/

And --> https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...l-notre-dame-northwestern-20190423-story.html

Yeah, they're squeaky clean!

The difference is the Asst. Coaches.....I like the recent hires, now we need some consistency. But.....that takes money our BOT won't allocate.

I agree. Franklin has been very successful with recruiting 4 star kids, with an occasional 5 star here and there. I think I heard/read last week that OSU has 12 five stars on the roster. That’s a huge gap in talent. The number of stars is not a guarantee of success, but when you look at the number of 5 star players, it does translate to success on the field. In particular, the QB position. If we want to go from great to elite, we need a 5 star QB or two to take us there.

Interesting thread, because we’ve never had this or any similar discussion before.

Reactions: depbuck
  • JoePa had success with student athletes.
  • OSU had 2 All Americans opt out but then return. For some reason PSU players seem more eager to leave and get a start on their NFL careers.
  • Recruiting definitely has to improve, especially in PA. I don't think we're losing kids like Flemming and Rucci because of high academic standards.

Reactions: MacNit07
Franklin does it right he looks at them as student athletes and tries to set them up for life. I would put our program against anyone’s for being successful in life. We may not be a CFP contender every year but our guys go on to have success after football. We have always placed many of them in the NFL and it is known around the league that Penn State players are dedicated hard working players.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
And what would you call Micah Parsons? F Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama. We are and

Talking about being in the same class with Ohio State and Alabama is kind of silly right now.

This team has a lot of work to do if they're going to win more games than they lose this year. There is not a gimme on the schedule at this point.

The fallacy of this post lies in the fact that it’s not about the school reputation for academics at all —PSU recruits the SAME kids that OSU Michigan MSU etc recruit. The real difference lies in the commitment to developing these kids and yes the aspirations for most of these athletes is to go on to the next level. The “elite” programs are committed to a head coach and related personnel that are focused on a winning program. Since when was it ok to settle for losing to your rival an inordinate number of times and or settling for a subpar record year in and year out? Other than NW in the B1G there are no real academic requirement differences that would exclude any elite 5 and 4 star athletes. And yes would love for someone to prove that the lives both personal and career wise are better by having gone to PSU UM etc than OSU etc.

If THE NCAA did their job, we wouldn't be in this position. If school administrators had integrity we wouldn't be in this position. If coaches truly had the best interest for their players in mind we wouldn't be in this position. Money is always the culprit. The pictures of presidents should be replaced with pictures of Santan on all currency. Money is the root of all evil, no question. It's a damn shame.

We got beaten by an IU squad that probably didn’t have a single recruiting class ranked within 15 of any of ours.
I don’t care how much talent you have when your players don’t know the playbook, can’t execute and the sidelines are a confused mess.

If THE NCAA did their job, we wouldn't be in this position. If school administrators had integrity we wouldn't be in this position. If coaches truly had the best interest for their players in mind we wouldn't be in this position. Money is always the culprit. The pictures of presidents should be replaced with pictures of Santan on all currency. Money is the root of all evil, no question. It's a damn shame.
Money is a ok.

He looked great on that drive, but come on.. did you watch the first half?

hopefully we just saw something click..
Meant for that to be in the game thread.
As far as the QB, when the OL is maybe average, the WR’s are below average and your offensive game plan was wrong, there is only so much you can do.

I’ve argued here that Penn State doesn’t want to be those programs. They’re more than happy just paying the bills with a top 20-ish team, and having a likable, strong mentor as the face of the program.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Howard Schnellenberger was able to convince the brass at the “U” to bring in some of the toughest, fastest and aggressive HS athletes in the country, end result a NC. After Schnellenberger Miami won another 4 titles. Then Donna Shalala happened and Miami has never recovered. Even Mike Krzyzewski met and argued his case to the Board of Trustees at Duke about relaxing their recruiting requirements.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT