ADVERTISEMENT

IMAR

eet5017

Jan 27, 2013
I've been watching the Big Ten tourney on BTN2GO. Anyone else notice IMAR is not himself? He doesn't look gassed, he just doesn't look himself. Almost got pinned by Berger and then had to get a late 3rd period take down to squeak out a one point win against Murphy. I've heard rumors that he may have been banged up all year. Anyone know what is going on there?

Don't know about that, he's had a butt load of TFs, before and after the Nolf match.

There was a rumor he is cutting a bunch of weight for Olympic wrestling. I saw this after Nolf pinned him in the dual. He also lost his dad in the off season. I do not know the reason but as many others have said here I feal for him. Earlier this year and last year he was an animal. Seems like a good kid too.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
If I had to guess it's the weight cut. He doesn't appear to be injured to me. Like Goldbanger said above he has a lot of tech's this year.

Not to jinx our guy, but I'd have to make Nolf a definite favorite in the finals today. Jason just keeps getting better and has an amazing motor.

Not to jinx our guy, but I'd have to make Nolf a definite favorite in the finals today. Jason just keeps getting better and has an amazing motor.

His head, the weight cut, injured or a combination of the 3.....the kid looks off.

Nolf looks lights out and will capitalize again on imar mistakes and won't be muscled out of position. My money going on nolf 8-4

It doesn't matter what he looks like in previous matches. He still won and he's in the finals which is where he should be. If he beats Nolf, then everyone's perception of him will have change. He would have avenged his only lost this year and will be ranked #1 heading into NCAAs looking to repeat.

So until Nolf and him wrestle again, I'm reserving my opinion of what he looks like.

Reactions: Onceafish and Grass
At this point I think Nolf beats Imar by major. It may be close in the first half but I just don't see him being able to hang with Nolf late in the match.

iMart looks off, no question about it. Since losing to Nolf he had some big wins regular season wins vs ok but not superb wrestlers. But then again he only beat Tyler Berger (Illinois) 12-6 in regular season (Nolf beat Berger 20-3 in January) and 14-11 in the quarters of B1G's yesterday. These kind of regular decisions are not nothing like iMart before Nolf (we should go to a BN and AN terminology, "before Nolf" and "after Nolf").

Even more striking is that, as we know, iMart barely squeaked by Murphy in the semis (B1G's yesterday) winning 5-4 having beaten him 18-3 in January. Is it possible that Murhpy had a bad match in January and a great match at B1G's? Sure, it's possible, but it doesn't fit the overall pattern.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but iMart does worry me. Perhaps he wasn't feeling well yesterday and a good night's sleep will help him flip the switch?. The kid is an absolute monster.

Murphy was coming back from his own injury when he faced Martinez the first time. You could say he still wasn't a 100% when he wrestled Nolf either. The thing about it is. Martinez isn't going to be able to "fix" his gas tank over night. I could see a low scoring match possibly 0-0 the 1st period. No way Martinez comes out and tries to throw Nolf around in the 1st like he did last time. Nolf will wrestle how Nolf wrestles and be at his strongest in the 3rd.

I am always reluctant to ascribe psychological reasons to an athletes performance, but it is possible IMar no longer has an aura of invincibility, more opponents think they can beat him, and he knows it too.
The thing that worries me about Nolf, since I have to have something to worry about, is him getting in trouble because he thinks he can do essentially anything out there...since he has been.

There is definitely something going on. He squeezed by Murphy of Michigan yesterday which was surprising given that he teched him in their dual meet.

It doesn't really matter what's going on with IMar...weight cutting, his Dad etc. Nolf is just better. The guy I'm watching, if he stays at this level, will be one of the greats. The only caveat is that folks were saying that about IMar. IMO, Nolf is better than DT because he has a nasty disposition on the mat...a fluid PSU guy with an Iowa attitude. DT didn't have that level of mental toughness. Should be a fun one tonight, but I don't know if IMar is going to be enjoying it.

It doesn't really matter what's going on with IMar...weight cutting, his Dad etc. Nolf is just better. The guy I'm watching, if he stays at this level, will be one of the greats. The only caveat is that folks were saying that about IMar. IMO, Nolf is better than DT because he has a nasty disposition on the mat...a fluid PSU guy with an Iowa attitude. DT didn't have that level of mental toughness. Should be a fun one tonight, but I don't know if IMar is going to be enjoying it.

These were the words I was missing. Thanks for finding them.

You nailed it...

Murphy was coming back from his own injury when he faced Martinez the first time. You could say he still wasn't a 100% when he wrestled Nolf either. The thing about it is. Martinez isn't going to be able to "fix" his gas tank over night. I could see a low scoring match possibly 0-0 the 1st period. No way Martinez comes out and tries to throw Nolf around in the 1st like he did last time. Nolf will wrestle how Nolf wrestles and be at his strongest in the 3rd.
Imar can approach it one of two ways. He may try to lay back and conserve energy but I think he's going to try to do the exact same thing as he did in their first match. I know I'm one of the few that believes that but in my opinion Imar's head is telling him to try to end it early because he won't have a chance if the thing gets to third... no matter how much energy he attempts to bank.

Reactions: PSU Mike
Imar can approach it one of two ways. He may try to lay back and conserve energy but I think he's going to try to do the exact same thing as he did in their first match. I know I'm one of the few that believes that but in my opinion Imar's head is telling him to try to end it early because he won't have a chance if the thing gets to third... no matter how much energy he attempts to bank.
One of the things about Nolf is that he makes it VERY difficult for an opponent to control the pace. Stalling doesn't work and even picking your spots doesn't work very often; Nolf forces the action and he has more overall ability and energy than the opponent.

Are you saying Iowa has a higher level of mental toughness than PSU wrestlers? I do agree Nolf has that nasty streak, and that may separate him from DT.

But Nolf has not won anything yet. I'm a big DT fan, so I would hold off saying he's better than DT till he proves it, which I hope Nolf does.

Are you saying Iowa has a higher level of mental toughness than PSU wrestlers? I do agree Nolf has that nasty streak, and that may separate him from DT.

But Nolf has not won anything yet. I'm a big DT fan, so I would hold off saying he's better than DT till he proves it, which I hope Nolf does.

Some people just cannot take a compliment.

Some people just cannot take a compliment.

Yeah, really. Some guys have it all. Clearly Nolf does. That said, folks said the same thing about IMAR last year, yet everyone is questioning him this year. T-shirts is another guy....just not the same and he has been through a lot off the mat. Hope they both can shake it off. These are still kids.....at least in my book.

I've been watching the Big Ten tourney on BTN2GO. Anyone else notice IMAR is not himself? He doesn't look gassed, he just doesn't look himself. Almost got pinned by Berger and then had to get a late 3rd period take down to squeak out a one point win against Murphy. I've heard rumors that he may have been banged up all year. Anyone know what is going on there?
His game plan coming in this time was to slow down the match !!!! Perry and him had a month to work on it. Perry was trying to get him breaks as much as possible. He is also teaching to grab ankles and hold on like Delgodo used to do in matches.

Nolf wins by converting any of the 3 shots he got deep on. Two of them got stuffed before any Delgado Dive.

Reactions: dunkej01
His head, the weight cut, injured or a combination of the 3.....the kid looks off.

Nolf looks lights out and will capitalize again on imar mistakes and won't be muscled out of position. My money going on nolf 8-4
MD seems like a lot against a dominate returning national champ don't you think?

At this point I think Nolf beats Imar by major. It may be close in the first half but I just don't see him being able to hang with Nolf late in the match.

Reactions: Jaybird319
MD seems like a lot against a dominate returning national champ don't you think?

He wrestles for Illinois, why are you so joyous over his win? First of all he's not your kid, you are not an Illinois fan. Second of all his win is tainted, as would have been had Jason won. Either way, the match was tainted by Perry's bullshit. Third of all, he didn't have any more "heart" than Nolf did: He underhooked all day long, needed to be told to come back to the ready position by referees twice, and dove for ankles on two other occasions. Nothing about his performance was "heart", it was all guile an gamesmanship.

He wrestles for Illinois, why are you so joyous over his win? First of all he's not your kid, you are not an Illinois fan. Second of all his win is tainted, as would have been had Jason won. Either way, the match was tainted by Perry's bullshit. Third of all, he didn't have any more "heart" than Nolf did: He underhooked all day long, needed to be told to come back to the ready position by referees twice, and dove for ankles on two other occasions. Nothing about his performance was "heart", it was all guile an gamesmanship.
I'm not joyous that Imar won. I just really enjoyed the match all around! 2 absolutely top of the line D-1 talents bashing heads with no mercy. It's why I love wrestling. Imar won the match 21 guns. Accept it. You have blamed Perry for the loss at least 8 different times now.

I accepted that Brandon Sorenson got dominated by Retherford In all positions as I watched it live. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Try giving Imar some credit. Who knows, it may in some way make you feel better.

I'm not joyous that Imar won. I just really enjoyed the match all around! 2 absolutely top of the line D-1 talents bashing heads with no mercy. It's why I love wrestling. Imar won the match 21 guns. Accept it. You have blamed Perry for the loss at least 8 different times now.

I accepted that Brandon Sorenson got dominated by Retherford In all positions as I watched it live. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Try giving Imar some credit. Who knows, it may in some way make you feel better.
I did give him credit: I gave him credit for forcing Jason to wrestle his match, instead of Nolf's match. Next week might be different, somehow I doubt you'll be anywhere near here if it does though, haha. Who knows, maybe it will make YOU feel better if you show up then? Meanwhile, there isn't a single thing similar about the Retherford/Sorenson match, and Nolf/Imar II. Nothing about the two matches should be mentioned in the same sentence: One match was a physical domination mismatch, the other was a bogus, stall filled, fake timeout filled, fiasco that was "won" on a fluke whistle in a restart in the second overtime.

Get real pal.

I did give him credit: I gave him credit for forcing Jason to wrestle his match, instead of Nolf's match. Next week might be different, somehow I doubt you'll be anywhere near here if it does though, haha. Who knows, maybe it will make YOU feel better if you show up then? Meanwhile, there isn't a single thing similar about the Retherford/Sorenson match, and Nolf/Imar II. Nothing about the two matches should be mentioned in the same sentence: One match was a physical domination mismatch, the other was a bogus, stall filled, fake timeout filled, fiasco that was "won" on a fluke whistle in a restart in the second overtime.

Get real pal.

Dude...you are an excuse making machine. Do you have website that generates them or something?

Get real pal.
I feel like I am being as real as I can. The only comparison between Sorenson/Zain and Imar/Nolf that I was saying is that I really wanted Brandon to win against a great opponent. He didn't. You really wanted Nolf to win against a great opponent. He didnt. I accepted it right away. You haven't yet. I've never seen you post much but assuming that you are indeed a Penn State fan I suggest you just relax and enjoy the Championship they just won! You are worked up over something that doesn't matter.

I feel like I am being as real as I can. The only comparison between Sorenson/Zain and Imar/Nolf that I was saying is that I really wanted Brandon to win against a great opponent. He didn't. You really wanted Nolf to win against a great opponent. He didnt. I accepted it right away. You haven't yet. I've never seen you post much but assuming that you are indeed a Penn State fan I suggest you just relax and enjoy the Championship they just won! You are worked up over something that doesn't matter.
You accepted it because you had to. I don't accept it because it was fraudulent.

Big difference.

Chief, that guy looks kinda like Mark Perry when he faces up. Just sayin'.

Otherwise, I am so stealing this.

Awesome, amiright? As for the Perry thing, I prefer to see it in a "Tears of Joy" kind of way after he beat Hendricks even though he did pull the old Bull Durham meeting at the pitcher's mound trick today.

You know you are desperate when you are out there celebrating a bogus win, by some kid who isn't even on your team.

Lean times eh Chief? LMAO.

Actually, IMar made me look rather foolish today. Nothing wrong with enjoying a high level match and calling it as you see it. You have 21 Guns, quit shooting BBs or go back to the football or basketball page.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT