ADVERTISEMENT

IMAR

Actually, IMar made me look rather foolish today. Nothing wrong with enjoying a high level match and calling it as you see it. You have 21 Guns, quit shooting BBs or go back to the football or basketball page.

Imar underhooked, stalled, had his own coach stop the match repeatedly, grabbed ankles, and won on a fluke restart. He didn't do anything special out there, and the match was flawed. I haven't seen one person who is celebrating his win, other than frustrated and hateful Iowa fans who have nothing to celebrate, so they grab on to something like this. That would be you, and the only one who needs to "go back" is you, since nobody else is celebrating his "win" other than you.

Awesome, amiright? As for the Perry thing, I prefer to see it in a "Tears of Joy" kind of way after he beat Hendricks even though he did pull the old Bull Durham meeting at the pitcher's mound trick today.
Whoa now chief! Why you gotta bring that up? That was unacceptable!!I think one of those is right.

MD seems like a lot against a dominate returning national champ don't you think?

Yes, obviously in retrospect, I got a bit carried away; suckered in by his previous two match results. That being said, funny how you weren't questioning it prior to the match.

Agree with the comments about the strategy change. Grab an ankle and twist in any scramble and underhooks & front headlock with minimal offensive attempts just to try to slow and wear Nolf down. Unfortunately it worked, but barley, and now they have shown their hand so our coaches can now break things down and have Jason ready for New York.

Last edited:
Bottom line; IMar won, I know I'm stating the obvious but it appears it must be said. Do I think Perry gave him a couple lungers: yes. Am I having Delgado flashbacks with Mega: yes. Am I shocked IMar didn't completely fall apart after watching his match in the semis: yes. One thing I know for sure is I would NOT want to be a training partner with Nolf this week and a half. I expect next time they meet, it will again be an epic battle. My honest assessment is IMar will have more difficulty in the quarters or semis having to make weight again afterwards. JMO.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
If IMar wrestles the earlier rounds of Nationals like he did the Big Tens, he might not see the finals. Gantt (sp?), Miller, Brascetta - all can make him pay if he gasses like he did in the early Big rounds. That said, I hated to see Nolf lose, despised the lung time outs, and thought IMar hung on to underhook and front headlocks to block a lot, but that was a great match between two elite wrestlers.

You're right, NL84, it's on Nolf to find a way out of those ties or use them. Not making excuses, for sure. I'd think low, outside singles could be the way to go. Nolf was getting to the legs, but IMar-gado was able to grab ankles and hold on.

I don't know that IMar was using the front headlock to get a breather, I thought he was using it for the same reason Nolf used the head snaps in the first match-up: to wear out the other guy. Also, I thought Perry had a point about Imar getting hit with the stall warning when he was still inbounds, and does anyone know why the takedown was reversed? My point is just that we can point to things on either side, but either way it was a great match and I hope to see these kids in the NCAA finals!

Reactions: nittanybrian
Still say J-No clearly had the TD at the end of the 2nd Period. J-No was squarely behind I-Mar with two-points of contact and then I-Mar sat out, reached around and locked his hands on a high-crotch - but I-Mar also exposed his back to do this (iirc). The TD is supposed to be called immediately, especially when I-Mar repeatedly pulled his Delgado BS on shot after shot by Nolf with zero shots of his own. Anyone else think the TD should have been scored for J-No and the official should have been looking for exposure points on I-Mar? Honestly, I don't think the match should have ever gone to OT if this TD was called. Cael and crew got out of their seats yelling at official, but did not challenge - was a bit surprised by that, but I think part of the reason they didn't challenge was that they didn't want to give I-Mar another lunger timeout and they felt Jason had him on the ropes.

I don't know that IMar was using the front headlock to get a breather, I thought he was using it for the same reason Nolf used the head snaps in the first match-up: to wear out the other guy. Also, I thought Perry had a point about Imar getting hit with the stall warning when he was still inbounds, and does anyone know why the takedown was reversed? My point is just that we can point to things on either side, but either way it was a great match and I hope to see these kids in the NCAA finals!

It sure looked like a takedown. I thought I heard someone (one of the refs?) say something like "He only had one leg." That didn't make sense to me...looked like he had both...and maybe I heard it wrong, but the only other guess I had would have been that they had been ruled out of bounds at some point during the flurry. Again...didn't look like it, but I never saw a view that would have ruled that possibility out.

SR/BHF

It sure looked like a takedown. I thought I heard someone (one of the refs?) say something like "He only had one leg." That didn't make sense to me...looked like he had both...and maybe I heard it wrong, but the only other guess I had would have been that they had been ruled out of bounds at some point during the flurry. Again...didn't look like it, but I never saw a view that would have ruled that possibility out.

SR/BHF

If you look at the replays, it appears that J-No is locked onto one-leg up high (effectively where a high-crotch would be). As they are rolling, Nolf's hand and arm become hidden, but when they become view-able again, you can see Jason locked on the leg. I believe that is why they waived the TD off. At the end of the video, Jason lets go of the leg and tries to get OB and this is where I-Mar grabs both his legs, BUT I don't think this part of the action applied because Nolf had let go of the leg because the official had already awarded a TD incorrectly (e.g., at the time the TD was called, Nolf still had the high-crotch locked - he only released it and attempted to go OB after the official incorrectly called the TD, that is why the action following the point at which the TD was called does not figure into the "challenge review" - only the situation at the moment the official called the TD counts and it was not a TD at the time the official made the call because Nolf had a high crotch locked in and I-Mar did not have the TD).

At first Nolf wouldn't let him back in, Nolf backed up a bit and IMar took a step forward and then stayed there Nolf reengaged and they went out. Agree with the ref...good stall call.

A worthwhile loss, IMO. IMAR said many complimentary things after the match. I respect that kid, he has heart and a great perspective. I agree Nolf will now be on an even bigger rampage. I joked that he started training already by the time Bo took the mat. Everyone needs a rival and this will be great to watch.

In general, guys like Nico, Nolf, Bo, Zain, even big Nick and others, who have not experienced losing much at all in their lives, usually find a way to take these losses and and find another level. It is some humbling sh_t...

Jason will be better because of this loss.

I honestly believe the loss will absolutely Jason. There will be a strategy change but I'm not sure it involves pushing the pace more. Nolf was also gassed IMO at the end of the match. He just has to stay out of the tie ups which favor IMAR. Great match

I honestly believe the loss will absolutely Jason. There will be a strategy change but I'm not sure it involves pushing the pace more. Nolf was also gassed IMO at the end of the match. He just has to stay out of the tie ups which favor IMAR. Great match

The closer the rematch is to weigh ins, the better it is for Nolf. If it's in the finals, you're going to see an absolute war just like this one.

Reactions: Azchief32
The closer the rematch is to weigh ins, the better it is for Nolf. If it's in the finals, you're going to see an absolute war just like this one.

This. IMAR on full blood sugar is going to be a tough out. IMAR made his adjustments, now let's see if Nolf can as well.

Yeah, hence my question above.
Weigh-ins are at 10:00 AM each day of competition.
On Thursday and Friday, there are sessions at various times; on Saturday, the finals don't start until 8:00 PM, so the finalists have a long time to eat and hydrate.
In recent finals, I recall Kyle Dake looking awfully big (compared to Molinaro for example) and also Dieringer in 2014 when he wrestled 157.

IMAR's strategy was to slow Nolf down by tying him up and to grab his ankle when they got in a scramble and hope for a stalemate. It worked exactly how Perry had hoped it would work. IIRC IMAR was saved once maybe twice (can't remember) when the period ended as it looked like Nolf was seconds away from getting two. If people don't believe that Perry was trying to buy IMAR some time due to his challenge then they aren't being completely honest. Who has ever challenged a stall warning before especially when its a judgement call by the ref? It was called correctly in regards to how they are calling it this year. I thought the warning on Nico was bogus, but it's a judgement call by the ref. Nolf needs to create more scrambles, but do it earlier in the period so that he has more time to potentially score.

IMAR's strategy was to slow Nolf down by tying him up and to grab his ankle when they got in a scramble and hope for a stalemate. It worked exactly how Perry had hoped it would work. IIRC IMAR was saved once maybe twice (can't remember) when the period ended as it looked like Nolf was seconds away from getting two. If people don't believe that Perry was trying to buy IMAR some time due to his challenge then they aren't being completely honest. Who has ever challenged a stall warning before especially when its a judgement call by the ref? It was called correctly in regards to how they are calling it this year. I thought the warning on Nico was bogus, but it's a judgement call by the ref. Nolf needs to create more scrambles, but do it earlier in the period so that he has more time to potentially score.

I thought J-No very clearly had the TD at the end of the 2nd. Not only that but after he had the TD, I believe I-Mar exposed himself to grab his leg. Nolf absolutely got squarely behind I-Mar with two points of contact on each of I-Mar's sides.

I thought J-No very clearly had the TD at the end of the 2nd. Not only that but after he had the TD, I believe I-Mar exposed himself to grab his leg. Nolf absolutely got squarely behind I-Mar with two points of contact on each of I-Mar's sides.

I think I remember what you are talking about. It was very similar to the position in the first match when Nolf ended up pinning him.

If you look at the replays, it appears that J-No is locked onto one-leg up high (effectively where a high-crotch would be). As they are rolling, Nolf's hand and arm become hidden, but when they become view-able again, you can see Jason locked on the leg. I believe that is why they waived the TD off. At the end of the video, Jason lets go of the leg and tries to get OB and this is where I-Mar grabs both his legs, BUT I don't think this part of the action applied because Nolf had let go of the leg because the official had already awarded a TD incorrectly (e.g., at the time the TD was called, Nolf still had the high-crotch locked - he only released it and attempted to go OB after the official incorrectly called the TD, that is why the action following the point at which the TD was called does not figure into the "challenge review" - only the situation at the moment the official called the TD counts and it was not a TD at the time the official made the call because Nolf had a high crotch locked in and I-Mar did not have the TD).

I don't quite agree with this analysis. I watched the sequence in stop action and the official gives the takedown but Imar does not have control of the far leg. Even as the action progresses he never gains control of the second leg as Jason is coming up to his feet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT