ADVERTISEMENT

Irvin Charles - could he play DEFENSE??

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
guy is big, fast and nasty. frequently out of control and gets alot of penalties for a WR. he has made some great catches - but also drops some. blocks well on running plays. kind of inconsistent as WR. his play on STs sometimes is really strong.

could he play DEF?? Safety??? OLB/S hybrid?

we continue to have a deep group of WRs and this guy will be senior in 2018 (+ eligible in 2019).

I think you'll see some H-back formations with Charles this year. It was something that was being talked about right about the time he found his way into the dog house. But I guess we have a new OC, so we'll see.

guy is big, fast and nasty. frequently out of control and gets alot of penalties for a WR. he has made some great catches - but also drops some. blocks well on running plays. kind of inconsistent as WR. his play on STs sometimes is really strong.

we continue to have a deep group of WRs and this guy will be senior in 2018 (+ eligible in 2019).
Try it on the XBOX and then let the staff know how it worked out. Thanks for being such a forward thinker.

It is an interesting thought, but isn't it late in his career to be making that kind of move? LBer requires instinct that capitalizes on experience. He has none of the latter. Who knows if he has the instinct to play LBer or Safety? He does have a nasty streak though.

Let's take anyone who hasn't played much yet after their sophomore year and have them switch sides. I like it. Get ready for some Sterling Jenkins at fullback.

It is an interesting thought, but isn't it late in his career to be making that kind of move? LBer requires instinct that capitalizes on experience. He has none of the latter. Who knows if he has the instinct to play LBer or Safety? He does have a nasty streak though.
I'll begin by saying I think this is an awful idea in this case. But it's not completely without precedent and I recall one time it worked out very well:

http://blog.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2012/10/best_moment_penn_state-ohio_state.html

What an awesome game! "Strong safety Mark Rubin - a 5th-year senior and former wide receiver in his only season as a starter, who would be one of a remarkable four Lions named first-team Academic All-American - stepped up, had excellent position, went in for the tackle, trying to hold Pryor to no gain ...... and dislodged the ball, knocking it backward onto the Ohio Stadium turf."

But now I'll go back to thinking it's an awful idea. Charles is developing and showing flashes of true brilliance at WR. He's also spent longer at the position before switching.

Let's take anyone who hasn't played much yet after their sophomore year and have them switch sides. I like it. Get ready for some Sterling Jenkins at fullback.
In the I-formation!!!

Outside of the one long TD catch vs Minny in 2016, Irv has dropped virtually everything thrown at him. I don’t know what he does in practice, but its hard to imagine this problem is going to improve if he has to catch Steven’s throws in actual games.
The idea of him as a WR at the next level is not realistic based on his hands.
That said, he has been a game changer on ST’s.

He will be an outstanding Safety if he puts his mind to it. Lately he is not playing with passion. May be he is recovering from injuries.

Would be interesting to see Stevens at linebacker.

The kid is built, has size and speed, loves contact and is being way underutilized on Offense.

And with a QB background, he might actually understand the concept of anticipating and defending passes, which seems to be a mystery to our current linebackers and secondary.

The depth chart at WR is not getting any lighter. Between the kids coming in and redshirt freshmen, competition will be at it's highest level in years. Maybe ever.

Charles is developing and showing flashes of true brilliance at WR.
are you sure we're watching the same guy here? Charles has a better chance of not being on the team next year than actually contributing at WR. sign 25 in the class of 2018 and the attrition has to come from somewhere.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
are you sure we're watching the same guy here? Charles has a better chance of not being on the team next year than actually contributing at WR. sign 25 in the class of 2018 and the attrition has to come from somewhere.
Ha! Can never be sure with my eyes... and whether he leaves the team is a wrinkle I wasn’t speaking to. I wouldn’t think he’ll be cut, at least not for on-field performance issues.

As between Charles and Bowen, I think the bigger question mark re making room for the incoming class may be Bowen. Assuming Irv is on the team, I’d expect him at WR.

I may be wrong.-

Tell you what, I'm going to practice a package lining up Perry in the backfield. Then we're going to make a rap video.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT