ADVERTISEMENT

is this the run game we are missing

with some possible tweaks .... ? i dont know and neither do you
Perhaps, but the TB was putting up big number with Moorhead as well.

I just think that far too much hand wringing is going on over a scheme that has proven to score a lot of points. And that is with the issues at OL.

It is relavent because the OL is drive blocking more on those plays because there is no pass option. You cannot do the same with an RPO because you will likely end up with a lineman downfield which will be a penalty if you pass.
wrong again there genius, they dont worry about OL being downfield on an RPO, that's just silly. On an RPO the ball is gone before the linemen go anywhere. Besides no one 'drive blocks' anymore. The basically shuffle and get in front of guys, more like basketball players.
Again we could run this scheme if we wanted too, I dont know why we dont.

People need to read this again. It is extremely hard to have a good OL when 3/5 of it is FR or SO. Especially when one of the upperclassmen simply is not good (Wright).

Better days are ahead for this unit. They had to infuse it with talent and now that talent needs to grow up. It will happen.
If they are so poor, then why did we have a lead 35-20 lead vs OSU in the 4th qtr? Why did we lead USC by 2 TD's in the 4th qtr? Why did we have a lead vs MSU in the 4th qtr? It aint the Jimmy and Joes in this case.

That run game looks like it’s in a different universe compared to PSU. Those OL are very nasty and blowing the DL up. That OL look strong, fast and athletic. Oh and the rb is already moving forward when he gets the ball which is refreshing to see.

wrong again there genius, they dont worry about OL being downfield on an RPO, that's just silly. On an RPO the ball is gone before the linemen go anywhere. Besides no one 'drive blocks' anymore. The basically shuffle and get in front of guys, more like basketball players.
Again we could run this scheme if we wanted too, I dont know why we dont.
Yeah because RPOs use zone blocking.

If they are so poor, then why did we have a lead 35-20 lead vs OSU in the 4th qtr? Why did we lead USC by 2 TD's in the 4th qtr? Why did we have a lead vs MSU in the 4th qtr? It aint the Jimmy and Joes in this case.
Because the system is a good one for college and masked our OL deficiencies. They need to get older, it’s as simple as that.

They aren't poor they're just young. Consistency will come with maturity.

Because the system is a good one for college and masked our OL deficiencies. They need to get older, it’s as simple as that.
what is simple is this, we have had 3 very winnable games we lost, not because we werent good enough, not because we werent talented enough, we needed to run the ball in the 4th qtr and we couldnt. Even you (well maybe not) would have to admit, we have too many free runners from the D when we are on O. Why is that? I just showed you how to block the same plays,. heck I showed how Strollo blocks the same plays, and he doesnt have our talent.

Defense. Protecting a lead is always tough. How many come from behind victories did we have last year? Other teams were not immune to this either.

Reality is, our expectation level is Nick Saban-led Bama and nobody has recruited at his level for the past 10 years AND won so much without truly having an off game. As good as Meyer has been, even he isn't on Saban's level.

Looking at the depth chart, I see a ton of freshmen and sophomores at OL. We’ll be ok. OL was one of the places the sanctions hurt the most and we’re still recovering from that. Younger guys are getting blown up by other good recruits who have had another year or two on the field and in the weight room. We need to keep the recruiting rolling and we’ll get to where we should have a stable and better OL.

Barkley is a special Rb. You’ve have to be willfully blind not to see it. But even he can’t do anything when he’s got 2 or 3 guys bearing down on him when he’s just taking the hand off.

Reactions: getmyjive11
what is simple is this, we have had 3 very winnable games we lost, not because we werent good enough, not because we werent talented enough, we needed to run the ball in the 4th qtr and we couldnt. Even you (well maybe not) would have to admit, we have too many free runners from the D when we are on O. Why is that? I just showed you how to block the same plays,. heck I showed how Strollo blocks the same plays, and he doesnt have our talent.
Our OL is a problem. I don’t know how else to say it. We need to pass to set up the run because our OL isn’t good enough right now. Being stubborn about your opinion isn’t changing the situation. Franklin clearly sees it my way as did Callahan after reviewing the game. The OL is a liability.

Our OL is a problem. I don’t know how else to say it. We need to pass to set up the run because our OL isn’t good enough right now. Being stubborn about your opinion isn’t changing the situation. Franklin clearly sees it my way as did Callahan after reviewing the game. The OL is a liability.
did you review the tapes I linked?

Would not be shocked if Thorpe and Menet are starters next year at the guard spots. I truly wish one of them projected as a LT because Bates at LG has been our best OL player over the course of the past two years.

Gonzalez is confusing. He's probably our strongest lineman in years, and would be much better suited just firing off at the snap. Guy has NFL strength already, but I don't think pulling is his forte. Maybe it's youth. Or scheme.

Gonzalez and Wright are two reasons we don't run many screens. Both are too slow and both need to drop 25 lbs. Can't understand why they let Gonzalez get up to 345+ but I'm not a strength coach or OL coach.

It's a combination of Franklin / Moorhead. You have a once in a generation running back...who can't gain yards. Either Barkley is significantly overrated or the scheme is just bad.
I vote for the scheme being bad. Hated it last year until very late in the season when it started to work, like, the Rose Bowl, and I hate it even more now. So disappointed with the way Penn State tries to run the ball. All the creativity leans toward the pass game. Why can't they do similar things with the run game? My inquiring mind wants to know.

The Eagles tape that shows one RPO?
you are some kind of a PIA arent you? You dont even know what an RPO is, so dont even bring that up. Any play can be run as an RPO, the blocking doesnt change.

this one,from another thread...

you are some kind of a PIA arent you? You dont even know what an RPO is, so dont even bring that up. Any play can be run as an RPO, the blocking doesnt change.

this one,from another thread...
I absolutely know what an RPO is. Our issue is not our blocking scheme or our offense, it’s OL talent/experience. They are getting whipped up front. I’m not sure how you cannot are that.

I absolutely know what an RPO is. Our issue is not our blocking scheme or our offense, it’s OL talent/experience. They are getting whipped up front. I’m not sure how you cannot are that.
You confuse say inside zone with RPO

Btw you haven't watched the videos have you

I don’t need a video to identify the singular RPO in the Eagles video you linked.
I want even linking the RPO s. Watch the second play, it's an inside zone blocked a different way then what we do. Watch the endzone shot, and note they run it to the feared 1 technique Callaghan said we game planned not to do. It's right there, or not, keep throwing the players under the bus, keep making excuses like they are young, not talented enough, etc etc. it's not their fault. No need to respond if you don't watch the tape again

I want even linking the RPO s. Watch the second play, it's an inside zone blocked a different way then what we do. Watch the endzone shot, and note they run it to the feared 1 technique Callaghan said we game planned not to do. It's right there, or not, keep throwing the players under the bus, keep making excuses like they are young, not talented enough, etc etc. it's not their fault. No need to respond if you don't watch the tape again
It’s not throwing the players under the bus, it is reality. Only McGovern and Mahon are doing an acceptable job right now. Gonzo and Wright are too slow and get beat regularly. Fries is simply playing out of position right now and obviously is young. When you have three weak links on the line, this is what happens when you play quality teams. Losing Bates was huge because we went from having one weak link to three.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
It’s not throwing the players under the bus, it is reality. Only McGovern and Mahon are doing an acceptable job right now. Gonzo and Wright are too slow and get beat regularly. Fries is simply playing out of position right now and obviously is young. When you have three weak links on the line, this is what happens when you play quality teams. Losing Bates was huge because we went from having one weak link to three.
So true, you lose your best OL and it is a ripple effect that is highlighted against better competition. The depth along the OL is building and getting better with each passing year, but not every OL that signs will pan out. PSU lost 2 road games by a combined 4 points after winning the B1G last year and all of a sudden some people think we need to change everything up. It's message board knee jerk crap that some buy into like they have some say in the matter.

Yes there are things they need to do better and it will always be that way. This idea they are going to reverse course due to this is a joke. PSU needed to get out of that 3 game stretch at 2-1 and instead they were 1-2 which cost them the playoff....it sucks, but win out and you go 11-2. Things are so much better right now, but people are acting as if JF needed a MNC this year or else.

These three plays are exactly the same, vs the same defense so just keep your heads down saying we are young, and keep letting 1 of 2, of the best backs PSU has ever had, get pounded. It isnt the players, its the scheme watch....

https://www.nfl.com/share/10103061-7033-0000-0087-2311ee11bd8f
the second play in, and watch the endzone shot. The only play I am referring to.

watch the very first play, (and the End Zone shot) this is John Strollo coaching the OL for Ball State vs Texas AM. This play has the back offset to the left (PSU was to the right) . BSU keeps an off line TE , we flexed ours, board as it is long in this case, when they keep him tight, AM brings in another defender, when we remove ours, the defender leaves the box.

Both the Eagles and Ball State have 2 double teams at hole. We try to man block everyone, in ours, the back side 3 technique swims across 70's face, redirects and disrupts the play. (I wont even get into what happened to the front side) In the other 2 clips, the backside 3 is getting double teamed, so the OT will over take the OG and there is no quick penetration into the backfield, and there is no negative play. 70 cant make that block, not because he doesnt have ability, he does, we have put him on island as the DT has 3 ways he can go, left, right, straight ahead, 70 is in an impossible situation here, it isnt his fault. This is just 1 example. This play didnt cost us the game, man blocking scheme did.

But ok, keep saying it's because so and so is hurt, we are young, they are too big, too slow, whatever. Our scheme sets kids up to fail. We lost 2 (3 really with USC) that were winnable if we just didnt have an negatives runs.

It's great that we have a scheme that puts kids in the position to win big games and compete on the road again. Hopefully they just keep moving things forward in a positive manner and recruiting like they have been....11-2 following a BT title...yep....woe is PSU.

It's great that we have a scheme that puts kids in the position to win big games and compete on the road again. Hopefully they just keep moving things forward in a positive manner and recruiting like they have been....11-2 following a BT title...yep....woe is PSU.
You would think that PSU was winning championships on a regular basis before Franklin came along.

People don’t want to hear it because of the success from last year, but we are still building the talent on our team. We are not in a spot to simply reload yet and our OL talent and experience has a couple more years before we get to that point. Outside of Mahon, our best OL are just FR and SO... usually OL need 3 or 4 years before they play up to their ranking. It’s the longest rebuild position by far but thank God we have an offense that can function and still score a lot of points despite the unit’s inadequacies.

You would think that PSU was winning championships on a regular basis before Franklin came along.

People don’t want to hear it because of the success from last year, but we are still building the talent on our team. We are not in a spot to simply reload yet and our OL talent and experience has a couple more years before we get to that point. Outside of Mahon, our best OL are just FR and SO... usually OL need 3 or 4 years before they play up to their ranking. It’s the longest rebuild position by far but thank God we have an offense that can function and still score a lot of points despite the unit’s inadequacies.
Yep, it is the one spot where you do need some time. There are also going to be negative plays in this offense regardless...but it has shown consistently it can put points on the board. The program is clearly heading in the right direction and some that were wrong about Franklin initially are still hoping they were right. Sad to see, but that is just how some people roll.

yet MSU started a true frosh, a RS Frosh, Sophomore, Jr, SR vs PSU. For the record I've never been anti- Franklin.

Again, they aren’t scoring 38 points per game. In fact, they are only scoring 24, good enough for a ranking in the 90s. So you go ahead and dream of being more like MSU, I’m good with our current scheme.
what's MSU have to do with correcting players? the eagles lead the NFL in rushing the year of these clips, with their current OL coach. He has made changes on how they do things, I linked how they block now earlier in this thread, and you can see the difference it has made for them. I only want success for PSU. Saying 'we are young, we dont have talented players' is an excuse, and not a reason we cant close out games by running the football. PSU had OSU 35-20 in the fourth quarter, and if they could run the ball the win. Every first down run they had in the fourth quarter went for negative yardage, minus 7 yds twice!! As Jim says, 'Not good, Not good'. MSU started a True Frosh, a RS Frosh, Soph, Jr, Sr, vs PSU and won. They may not be averaging 38 points a game, but they do control their own fate in the B1G, something PSU does not.

They also have 2 losses and probably a 3rd this weekend. Most of their damage was through the air too....oooops. Scheme is just fine and here to stay thankfully.
Good point. MSUs RB averaged 3.1 ypc. Barkley averaged 4.5 ypc. “Let’s be more like MSU!!!!”

LOL.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
what's MSU have to do with correcting players? the eagles lead the NFL in rushing the year of these clips, with their current OL coach. He has made changes on how they do things, I linked how they block now earlier in this thread, and you can see the difference it has made for them. I only want success for PSU. Saying 'we are young, we dont have talented players' is an excuse, and not a reason we cant close out games by running the football. PSU had OSU 35-20 in the fourth quarter, and if they could run the ball the win. Every first down run they had in the fourth quarter went for negative yardage, minus 7 yds twice!! As Jim says, 'Not good, Not good'. MSU started a True Frosh, a RS Frosh, Soph, Jr, Sr, vs PSU and won. They may not be averaging 38 points a game, but they do control their own fate in the B1G, something PSU does not.
You are spinning your wheels here. Your argument stinks because you are refusing to acknowledge the problem (OL talent/experience).

Good point. MSUs RB averaged 3.1 ypc. Barkley averaged 4.5 ypc. “Let’s be more like MSU!!!!”

LOL.
Exactly. The running game didn't drop a sure first down with minutes to go on 4th down. The ground game can't tackle or sack the other QB. The running game didn't hit the QB late on 4th down either which basically iced the game, but hey someone here thinks they are on to something. Like someone is going to say...well damn that guy online has got a fix...screw this Jo Mo guy. At some point people need a reality check. Team sport and plenty areas can be dissected if you want to....but hey we'll hammer this. Notice you didn't see a peep about this after the Iowa and UM games. Go figure. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT