ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Nolfs return? Other entries Matteo Pellicone

Truth_Talk

Jul 2, 2019
Looks as if Nolf is registered for the ranking series event "Matteo Pellicone" in Rome, Italy
January 15-18. Would be good to see him back, hopefully at full strength. David Taylor doesn't seem to be in the mix as of yet, but has noted he's been released to compete...other notable entries from the US Below:

57KG:
Joseph Daniel COLON (USA)
Daton Duain FIX (USA)
Thomas Patrick GILMAN (USA)

65KG:
Jordan Michael OLIVER (USA)
Zain Allen RETHERFORD (USA)
Joseph Christopher MC KENNA (USA)

74KG:
James Malcolm GREEN (USA)
Kyle Douglas DAKE (USA)
Jason Michael NOLF (USA)

86KG:
Alexander David DIERINGER (USA)
James Patrick DOWNEY III (USA)
Zahid VALENCIA (USA)

97KG:
Hayden Nicholas ZILLMER (USA)
Kyle Frederick SNYDER (USA)
Bo Dean NICKAL (USA)

125KG:
Gable Dan STEVESON (USA)
Anthony Robert NELSON (USA)

Bo to 97 confirmed, I guess? I’m so curious how that’s going, given what he weighed in at for Final X.

Reactions: tikk10
Surely we will see what Cox is going to do in the very near future...that seems to be a bigger secret than Cassar's status

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I know we can qualify a weight at the Pan Ams but what is the other tournament we can qualify a weight for the Olympics?

Yes it's last chance top 2 qualify first weekend of May in Bulgaria
I think you are slightly mixing terminology up.

the last chance quailifier is for a spot on team trials

“Final U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifier March 2020
The top two (2) place finishers* in the Men’s Freestyle champion of this event per weight category will qualify for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling. Athletes who have already qualified will NOT be allowed to compete in this event.
* A true second will be contested if the 2nd and 3rd place finishers from any weight category at this event did NOT wrestle each other in the tournament. They will wrestle one match at the end of the tournament and the winner of this match (that is, the 2nd place finisher) will qualify for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.”

the olympic weight qualifier is in May in Bulgaria

“World Olympic Games Qualifier
Sofia, Bulgaria April 30 – May 3, 2020
The winner of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling tournament will then compete in the World Olympic Games Qualifier. If for any reason the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling winner is unable to compete in this last opportunity

to qualify the weight category, a replacement will be determined in accordance with Section 4.1.1. In any case, if the weight category is qualified via the World OG Qualifier, the winner of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling will be USA Wrestling’s designee for the 2020 Olympic Games, regardless of who qualifies the weight category.”

“2020 Pan American Olympic Qualifier March 2020
The Senior Freestyle USA athlete who qualifies the Olympic weight category at the Pan American Olympic Qualifier will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.”

quoted info is from USA Wrestling.
http://content.themat.com/forms/2020-OLY-MFS.pdf

Here is the list of tournaments that qualify the weights to participate in Olympics as a country

Event Date Venue
2019 World Championships September 14–22, 2019 Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
African & Oceania Qualification Tournament March 13–15, 2020 El Jadida, Morocco
European Qualification Tournament March 19–22, 2020 Budapest, Hungary
Asian Qualification Tournament March 27–29, 2020 Xi'an, China
Pan American Qualification Tournament March 13–15, 2020 Ottawa, Canada
World Qualification Tournament April 30 – May 3, 2020 Sofia, Bulgaria

i do not know if anyone can go to any qualifying event, ie. a US wrestler go to Asian Qualification tournament, though timing is very tight anyway so I am not sure of feasibility anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Here is the list of tournamnets that qualify the weights to participate in Olympics as a country

Event Date Venue

i do not know if anyone can go to any qualifying event, ie. a US wrestler go to Asian Qualification tournament, though timing is very tight anyway so I am not sure of feasibility anyway.
Pretty sure you can only go to your "continental" tourney, so there are only 3 opportunities to qualify the weight for your country (2019 Worlds, Pan Ams for US guys, and the Bulgaria tourney (which I've seen called Last Chance Qualifier too)).

Pretty sure you can only go to your "continental" tourney, so there are only 3 opportunities to qualify the weight for your country (2019 Worlds, Pan Ams for US guys, and the Bulgaria tourney (which I've seen called Last Chance Qualifier too)).

Thanks, I am learning every day.

Reactions: hlstone
I think you are slightly mixing terminology up.

the last chance quailifier is for a spot on team trials

“Final U.S. Olympic Trials Qualifier March 2020
The top two (2) place finishers* in the Men’s Freestyle champion of this event per weight category will qualify for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling. Athletes who have already qualified will NOT be allowed to compete in this event.
* A true second will be contested if the 2nd and 3rd place finishers from any weight category at this event did NOT wrestle each other in the tournament. They will wrestle one match at the end of the tournament and the winner of this match (that is, the 2nd place finisher) will qualify for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.”

the olympic weight qualifier is in May in Bulgaria

“World Olympic Games Qualifier
Sofia, Bulgaria April 30 – May 3, 2020
The winner of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling tournament will then compete in the World Olympic Games Qualifier. If for any reason the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling winner is unable to compete in this last opportunity

to qualify the weight category, a replacement will be determined in accordance with Section 4.1.1. In any case, if the weight category is qualified via the World OG Qualifier, the winner of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling will be USA Wrestling’s designee for the 2020 Olympic Games, regardless of who qualifies the weight category.”

“2020 Pan American Olympic Qualifier March 2020
The Senior Freestyle USA athlete who qualifies the Olympic weight category at the Pan American Olympic Qualifier will earn a spot in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling.”

quoted info is from USA Wrestling.
http://content.themat.com/forms/2020-OLY-MFS.pdf
My response was to a question about qualifying the weight for the Olympics. The Last Chance World Olympic qualifier is first weekend of May in Bulgaria

Thanks, I am learning every day.

nerfstate is correct, you can only go to your "continental" qualifier. In addition, each nation can only send one wrestler per weight class and cannot send anyone in a weight class that they have already qualified. So, for example, US will not send a 74kg wrestler to Pan Am qualifier since Burroughs already qualified the weight for US. Here is an informative page on wikipedia regarding who has qualified:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Here is the list of tournaments that qualify the weights to participate in Olympics as a country

Event Date Venue

Americans can only go to PanAms and World qualifier in May

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT