ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Oweh - missing?

Like many have said here, I think Oweh will kill it at the combine and get all sorts of attention from the NFL scouts. If that means a possible first round pick, then he's probably smart to leave. PSU will certainly help him to asses his draft prospects the possibility of being a first rounder is a great opportunity. I think he does have the potential to improve his draft stock to a higher first round pick by coming back and gaining more experience, but of course there's also the risk of injury and missing the first round opportunity. It all boils down to whether he'd be happy being a late first round pick which is probably the highest draft grade he can hope for right now. If I were in his shoes that would probably be enough for me to go to the NFL. Another benefit of being a late first rounder is he's less likely to get drafted by some lousy team like the Jets.
He’s worth a first round pick if a defense can scheme a way to allow him to run directly at the quarterback unimpeded. If he’s going to have to deal with a blocker, he’ll be in trouble.

Pry said recently in response to a question that they had changed the defensive strategy before the season and the DE's obligations were a little different. He implied that the new strategy would have an impact on the DE's sack production. At least that is how I heard it. I think it was in last week's Pry press conference.

Pry said recently in response to a question that they had changed the defensive strategy before the season and the DE's obligations were a little different. He implied that the new strategy would have an impact on the DE's sack production. At least that is how I heard it. I think it was in last week's Pry press conference.
That said, I don’t they are telling Oweh not to sack the QB.

Not at all...Maybin left at the perfect time.

Plus Maybin actually had some productive numbers. Oweh will be a straight potential draft pick. He will test out of the yard at the combine....someone will see all of that and go after him.

Here is the issue, some guys don't get the experience of playing the game in college that they need. But most have been playing football their hole lives so they have that. Correct me if I am wrong but Oweh didn't start playing football until the 11th grade.

So, if I am a GM look at this:

1. Combine measurables. He will run like the wind, jump out of the sky, and test very well.

vs

2. Playing Football
-First year to play football was his 11th grade year.
- Had another year of High School
-Redshirt year at Penn State, great practice time but really no game time.
- next year at PSU and played about 2nd or 3rd string.
-Year 3 at PSU.....got lots of game time but practice time was very different.

If I am a GM, there is NO WAY I take this guy in the first 4 rounds.

Plus Maybin actually had some productive numbers. Oweh will be a straight potential draft pick. He will test out of the yard at the combine....someone will see all of that and go after him.

Here is the issue, some guys don't get the experience of playing the game in college that they need. But most have been playing football their hole lives so they have that. Correct me if I am wrong but Oweh didn't start playing football until the 11th grade.

So, if I am a GM look at this:

1. Combine measurables. He will run like the wind, jump out of the sky, and test very well.

vs

2. Playing Football
-First year to play football was his 11th grade year.
- Had another year of High School
-Redshirt year at Penn State, great practice time but really no game time.
- next year at PSU and played about 2nd or 3rd string.
-Year 3 at PSU.....got lots of game time but practice time was very different.

If I am a GM, there is NO WAY I take this guy in the first 4 rounds.

Some NFL GM and Coach may take him. But it won't be Tomlin and the Stee;ers as they place a high value on PRODUCTION. And so far his production is very average.

CJF: Oweh was banged up from the Rutgers game and not available.
Saw him hurt in Rutgers game so not surprised he DNP. Really hope he comes back one more year but all these kids hafta ask if the risk of another f'd up covid season is worth it.

Yeah just like Jarvis Jones. Produce in college then flash when it's a contract year.

Jarvis Jones...now there is a blast from the past. That poor guy is the reason they drafted Dupree. Had Jones shown anything the Steelers would have grabbed a DB that draft instead of Bud.

Reactions: bison13
I think that’s too harsh. I think it’s more like a case of looks like a football player, doesn’t completely know how to play football yet.
Yeah, didn't mean that literally. Not calling him a pussy or anything. Just saying that NFL scouts might love his measurables, but the problem is that he's not very good at football. He's the defensive end version of Christian Hackenberg.

Didn't he start playing in his Junior year of high school? It's not surprising that he could still improve with such limited experience. NFL coaches will likely interpret that as a positive and say he's still coachable, moldable, and once they see his combine they'll say he has tremendous upside. I expect someone will take a flyer on him with his athleticism.

Yeah, didn't mean that literally. Not calling him a pussy or anything. Just saying that NFL scouts might love his measurables, but the problem is that he's not very good at football. He's the defensive end version of Christian Hackenberg.
Well the big ten coaches just voted him First Team All Big Ten. But what do they know

Reactions: BOSCO2 and bison13
The coaches really don't know sh!t or give a sh!t. The SID's or one of 99 Sandy-type assistant AD;s fill these votes out. It's so based based on PR and not on the field performance.
The coaches don’t know shit?? Oh ok. And the media gave him 2nd team, guess they don’t know anything either. We’ve done such a sweet job concentrating so much football expertise on this board. We are so lucky

Did Oweh even record a sack this season? That gets you All Big Ten consideration?

Has a player ever been drafted in the first round and Mel spouts off a stat like "had zero sacks last year in college?" I know sacks aren't everything, but usually guys that get conference recognition and draft hype at DE have SOMETHING to show for it.

Did Oweh even record a sack this season? That gets you All Big Ten consideration?

Has a player ever been drafted in the first round and Mel spouts off a stat like "had zero sacks last year in college?" I know sacks aren't everything, but usually guys that get conference recognition and draft hype at DE have SOMETHING to show for it.
Well based on some of the grading that I've seen for defensive ends in college football he's graded very highly this year against the run and creating pressure. He doesn't have any sacks or show for it but he's forced the pocket many times

Reactions: PearlSUJam

No, it’s never happened in the history of football. Pretty cool, huh?

I never thought I'd see Troy Apke playing NFL football but the combine worked for him. Ethan Kilmer did some very cool things for PSU but had a really small resume and played his way into the NFL. Selfishly I'd like to see Oweh come back but is he really going to learn as much here as he would playing and learning from other major league lineman and coaches? I expect whoever drafts him understands he needs more time

Reactions: cjrugger
He doesn't have to be a 1st round pick to declare. It's likely that even round 3 he's taking the money.

Looking at mocks, he is going in the first in more than I thought...based on production (and the increasing emphasis on analytics), I don’t see it (and as I mentioned, guys like McShay and Kiper apparently don’t either).
Maybe he is smart enough to realize that if he comes back next year and has a similar year on the field (production wise), he would actually drop in the draft, not rise. So, if he's got enough people fooled into thinking he is a first round pick this year, might as well jump on it.

Reactions: bison13 and ram2020
Maybe he is smart enough to realize that if he comes back next year and has a similar year on the field (production wise), he would actually drop in the draft, not rise. So, if he's got enough people fooled into thinking he is a first round pick this year, might as well jump on it.
I think he ends up as something like a 3rd rounder, whereas he’d have a solid chance at going much higher a year from now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT