ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Porter won't play in the bowl game

no pearl clutching. I clearly said above that we should all view Bowl games as the players do...stupid and worthless. I don't know what you are so upset about....pointing out that players play in a lot of "worthless" games?

I'm not upset about anything. I'll watch the bowl regardless, its entertainment.

You're acting sophomoric because something you like has changed, and you don't agree with what it has become.

I'm not upset about anything. I'll watch the bowl regardless, its entertainment.

You're acting sophomoric because something you like has changed, and you don't agree with what it has become.
I think you've missed it.

People over complicate things like Joey Porter's decision because folks love absolutes and "how things are 'supposed' to be.".....Whatever that even means.
The bottom line is in sports:
What's good for the team isn't always what's good for the individual.
And:
Other times what's good for the individual isn't always what's good for the team.
It's a two way street.

Marcus Aurelius stated, "External things are not the problem. It's your assessment of them."

I think you've missed it.

Joey Porter hates football and regular season games after two losses are absolutely the same as a game played 5/6 weeks after the season has ended are exactly the same thing. I get what you guys are putting down.

Joey Porter hates football and regular season games after two losses are absolutely the same as a game played 5/6 weeks after the season has ended are exactly the same thing. I get what you guys are putting down.
Not far off. Except the game played 5 weeks after the season ends isn't the same. it is bigger.

Not far off. Except the game played 5 weeks after the season ends isn't the same. it is bigger.
So are all games the same or not? Is the Ohio State Buckeye game as important as the Ohio Bobcat game?
Because if you think the Ohio State game is more important than the game against the Ohio Bobcats I have news for you, that's exactly the same philosophy Joey Porter and hundreds of other kids going to the draft on bowl teams think as well. If you're saying the Bobcats and Buckeyes games have equal weight, your probably being disingenuous, but even so then I understand you value all games the same including a bowl game that is not connected to any type of championship.
Folks, you can't have it both ways.
The funny thing is players and coaches alike don't put much value on the vast majority of bowl games. See the coaches who leave for other jobs and players who opt out, yet Randy from Scranton thinks the Meineke Car Care Bowl is the super bowl. Makes sense.

So are all games the same or not? Is the Ohio State Buckeye game as important as the Ohio Bobcat game?
Because if you think the Ohio State game is more important than the game against the Ohio Bobcats I have news for you, that's exactly the same philosophy Joey Porter and hundreds of other kids going to the draft on bowl teams think as well. If you're saying the Bobcats and Buckeyes games have equal weight, your probably being disingenuous, but even so then I understand you value all games the same including a bowl game that is not connected to any type of championship.
Folks, you can't have it both ways.
The funny thing is players and coaches alike don't put much value on the vast majority of bowl games. See the coaches who leave for other jobs and players who opt out, yet Randy from Scranton thinks the Meineke Car Care Bowl is the super bowl. Makes sense.

He doesn't think all games are the same. He think's bowl games are bigger. It's right there.

the other problem is that the bowl game is played after the semester is over. A player has to be enrolled to play. Lots of players leave at the end of the regular season via graduation, xfer, graduate xfer, exhausted eligibility, or the NFL. Maybe somebody knows but my guess is that a guy like JP jr can finish the semester on campus but will probably move out after finals and never come back.

The bowl game is the least important since the Blue White game...by a large amount

You are absolutely right. Now, if the bowl game was part of the CFP, I would be locked in and ready to travel. As it stands, it is on par with the Blue White scrimmage and basically irrelevant in the national college football landscape.

Regarding Joey Porter, surely there is no real legal contract. Could/should there be one with all players, a question for legal minds. However, is there a moral/ethical contract to your team, coaches, school, and fans? A different question. The fact is that the Portal, opting-out of bowl games, NIL is fast changing the nature of college football - and I fear for the worst. Of course, it is all driven by the pursuit of the all mighty buck. I understand. And the player representatives and pro teams are all contributors to the problem. I am sure that if Joey Porter has an agent, that agent is watching out for his investment and "suggesting" that he opt out. It seems we are up against a powerful system that is eroding the sport as we once knew it. Sad. Actually, and maybe the readers know more than I, but I don't recall any player being injured in a season ending bowl game that resulted in destroying a professional career. Am I wrong?

Reactions: NoBareFeet
Regarding Joey Porter, surely there is no real legal contract. Could/should there be one with all players, a question for legal minds. However, is there a moral/ethical contract to your team, coaches, school, and fans? A different question. The fact is that the Portal, opting-out of bowl games, NIL is fast changing the nature of college football - and I fear for the worst. Of course, it is all driven by the pursuit of the all mighty buck. I understand. And the player representatives and pro teams are all contributors to the problem. I am sure that if Joey Porter has an agent, that agent is watching out for his investment and "suggesting" that he opt out. It seems we are up against a powerful system that is eroding the sport as we once knew it. Sad. Actually, and maybe the readers know more than I, but I don't recall any player being injured in a season ending bowl game that resulted in destroying a professional career. Am I wrong?
You are wrong!

Just last year, Jameson Williams blew out his knee in the postseason, and as a result, he fell all the way down to a.....first round pick!

And the poster boy for this argument, Jaylon Smith of Notre Dame, suffered a serious injury in the Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State. He fell all the way to a.......2nd round pick, and is in the process of completing his 7th year in the league. Sad!

I also believe loyalty to your teammates (family) as well as your character need to be factored in.

No, not really. I would have to know him to question his character

We can see his character right on the field. For what it's worth, it's not what I want to see in a Penn State uniform, and it's not what I would think others would want to watch on national TV, so good riddance.

I don't like players who try to attract attention to themselves when they make a routine play, and I certainly don't like players that jaw-bone the opposing team's players. And I don't like it when Franklin does nothing about this kind of stuff.

Part of an education is to learn to become a professional. There are many cases of superstars in the NFL that hurt themselves by being a cancer to the team, by being unprofessional. Joey has not helped his stock with his apparent character, at least that which we can see by watching the games.

We can see his character right on the field. For what it's worth, it's not what I want to see in a Penn State uniform, and it's not what I would think others would want to watch on national TV, so good riddance.

I don't like players who try to attract attention to themselves when they make a routine play, and I certainly don't like players that jaw-bone the opposing team's players. And I don't like it when Franklin does nothing about this kind of stuff.

Part of an education is to learn to become a professional. There are many cases of superstars in the NFL that hurt themselves by being a cancer to the team, by being unprofessional. Joey has not helped his stock with his apparent character, at least that which we can see by watching the games.
This is one of the most insane things I've read here

Last edited:

Lmao

I think bowl games are meaningful and I consider them part of the sea

Explain how a National Championship game has no meaning
The SEC and Big Ten Championship games are truly meaningless this year
I'm a huge fan of college football and can't wait until we go to 12 playoff teams then 16 then 20 then 24. It's long overdue.
You're stuck in the past and aren't adapting to the change like the players, coaches and everyone else has. You're probably still complaining about 1994.
If you think the belief that bowl games are meaningless is a stupid argument you're the fool they rely on to buy tickets
If we beat Utah, would you agree that's a much higher quality win than any other win this season? If so, then how would that be meaningless?

Willis McGahee had a big injury and missed a year, but he came back and had a nice pro career.

If we beat Utah, would you agree that's a much higher quality win than any other win this season? If so, then how would that be meaningless?
Because it's a glorified scrimmage. Just like it Utah beats us by 40 I won't be worried about that at all. Personally, I don't "count" bowl games--there's 3 games left this season.

We can see your character right here in this post. JFC you're a piece of work.

Because it's a glorified scrimmage. Just like it Utah beats us by 40 I won't be worried about that at all. Personally, I don't "count" bowl games--there's 3 games left this season.
Do you the players who participate treat it that way? Do you think they play with little effort?

Do you the players who participate treat it that way? Do you think they play with little effort?
Yeah, many of them do. It's about the trip and the SWAG not the game itself. See the opt outs. For guys like Clifford it's just his last real chance to play football. The game is as (maybe less) important than the Blue White game.

• Haha
I'm not sure why you say that to me. I think a Rose Bowl victory would be very meaningful. Lando is the one who think it's meaningless. In fact he thinks many players are just there for the swag and give a half ass effort.

I'm not sure why you say that to me. I think a Rose Bowl victory would be very meaningful. Lando is the one who think it's meaningless. In fact he thinks many players are just there for the swag and give a half ass effort.
I do...have you watched many bowl games recently. There's a reason kids skip them.

Sorry, I meant to say that in reply to Lando.

Reactions: bdgan
I think you're acting like an 80 year old that it trying to dictate how others should play a game.

Sportsmanship is old fashioned I guess. That's the conclusion, right?

I did not know that jaw-boning an opponent to their face was part of football. Call this old guy newly educated.

And I should like it.

We can see your character right here in this post. JFC you're a piece of work.

I had to look up JFC in the slang dictionary. Sad that you would be that vulgar. How times have changed.

Did you stop watching football around 1970?

No. I was on campus in the late 70s. Players did not act the way they do today. In fact two of my friends were cornerbacks.

I agree with you in that I would prefer players not engaging in trash talk and showing off. I find it stupid and distasteful. But I don't blame these kids for doing it, since it's the modern football culture that they've grown up with. And to some extent, it's a question of taste. You and I find it offensive, but others think it's just a part of competition.

Reactions: KnightWhoSaysNit
I agree with you in that I would prefer players not engaging in trash talk and showing off. I find it stupid and distasteful. But I don't blame these kids for doing it, since it's the modern football culture that they've grown up with. And to some extent, it's a question of taste. You and I find it offensive, but others think it's just a part of competition.

And I would add that it's really not about football. This goes to how kids are raised these days. Building egos is more important than building character, which can involve some pain.

I know Franklin wants to be like a father figure to these kids, but he's leaving out the discipline part of it. That's the difference between James and JVP.

I think James could be preparing these kids better, but that's just me. My opinion means nothing.

And I would add that it's really not about football. This goes to how kids are raised these days. Building egos is more important than building character, which can involve some pain.

I know Franklin wants to be like a father figure to these kids, but he's leaving out the discipline part of it. That's the difference between James and JVP.

I think James could be preparing these kids better, but that's just me. My opinion means nothing.
Stop living in the past. You gotta stop

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT