ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Porter won't play in the bowl game

And I would add that it's really not about football. This goes to how kids are raised these days. Building egos is more important than building character, which can involve some pain.

I know Franklin wants to be like a father figure to these kids, but he's leaving out the discipline part of it. That's the difference between James and JVP.

I think James could be preparing these kids better, but that's just me. My opinion means nothing.
One thing you got right in your post is your opinion means nothing

Wanting things to be better is not living in the past.
It's not about better. These "kids" don't view college football as people did in the 70s. It will never be "better" if that's your definition and you have an issue with Porter. Porter looks like a choir boy compared to many.
This is also picking and choosing because on the field Trace was as arrogant as anyone we've seen in college football

It's not about better. These "kids" don't view college football as people did in the 70s. It will never be "better" if that's your definition and you have an issue with Porter. Porter looks like a choir boy compared to many.
This is also picking and choosing because on the field Trace was as arrogant as anyone we've seen in college football
We can disagree about what is "better." My point is that he wants things to be what HE considers better. That is not the same as living in the past. By saying that, you made what is called a straw man argument.

We can disagree about what is "better." My point is that he wants things to be what HE considers better. That is not the same as living in the past. By saying that, you made what is called a straw man argument.
You keep calling everything everyone says a straw man argument which is inaccurate. He literally talked about Paterno. It's about wanting thing to be how they used to be. You know it and I know it. Ignoring comments made to pretend it's about better other than living in the past is wrong. Just like those that act as though we're still an Independent

You keep calling everything everyone says a straw man argument which is inaccurate. He literally talked about Paterno. It's about wanting thing to be how they used to be. You know it and I know it. Ignoring comments made to pretend it's about better other than living in the past is wrong. Just like those that act as though we're still an Independent

No. It's not about living in the past, and its not just about my tastes for entertainment.

I don't know how old you are or what you've experienced in life, but I can assure you that self absorption and habits of trash talking won't help you in the long run. If you think this is OK, or that it should be tolerated, then you can be counted among those who haven't learned.

Standards are being lowered in many ways that go far beyond sports. I don't have to like that or think that it is OK. And I certainly don't have to remain silent about it. If everyone did that we would be assured of decline and eventual demise.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
No. It's not about living in the past, and its not just about my tastes for entertainment.

I don't know how old you are or what you've experienced in life, but I can assure you that self absorption and habits of trash talking won't help you in the long run. If you think this is OK, or that it should be tolerated, then you can be counted among those who haven't learned.

Standards are being lowered in many ways that go far beyond sports. I don't have to like that or think that it is OK. And I certainly don't have to remain silent about it. If everyone did that we would be assured of decline and eventual demise.
Joey Porter's future is on the field not in a boardroom or in an office. We see NFL players doing this constantly and it has no impact on their careers. See Deion Sanders now being a HC and he defined showboating.

Did you have an issue with Saquon doing his windmill after TDs or Trace's stupid homerun swing or just Porter? I mean, Porter on the field acts how shutdown CBs act in college and in the NFL IMO.

I had to look up JFC in the slang dictionary. Sad that you would be that vulgar. How times have changed.

No. I was on campus in the late 70s. Players did not act the way they do today. In fact two of my friends were cornerbacks.

How sad that you feel entitled to pass judgement on someone that you’ve never met based on watching them play a couple of football games on television. Have you been this sanctimonious since the 70s? Are you David Petersen?

Last edited:
Willing to pass judgement on to everyone but yourself. Lighten up, Francis.

Thanks guys.

You've shown how the maturity we see on the field can extend to a message board.
But you're not demonstrating maturity despite what you believe. Maturity also consists of understanding different generations aren't going to react the same. CBs like Porter have been doing things that way for decades

Exhibiting sportsmanship is not a generational thing. What you guys advocate is akin to widening the goal posts a little bit each year. Eventually the goal becomes silly, yet younger fans have seen nothing different, so they think it is normal. A bad thing becomes normalized.

This is what has happened with respect to self-centered celebrations, or worse. We've let it drift to this point so it's now OK.

If you are young you probably won't understand this type of thing, or wish to deny that it is negative. A person is given a capacity at birth, then all they know is what they learn by exposure. Someone has to influence the exposure in a positive way. That has not been happening and our society is in decline as a result. If you are young you may not see it. I do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT