ADVERTISEMENT

Journeymen Collegiate Classic, Nov. 12 Bethlehem Freedom High

I don't know man, AA from where he was today is a chasm. Like going from a district finalist to a Super 32 finalist.

Somebody equated it to Cassar losing 11-8 to Hoffman, who is a top 20 guy. Robbie got chumped today by a journeyman who hasn't wrestled in 2 years and was last seen getting majored by Micah Roes, and a true freshman who is not starting at Penn. Long long long way to go.
Dice - you are the Pa HS oracle... I agree with what you are saying but am still thinking there is a chance this is just too early to tell. Hope is not a method, so I hope it is more than that :) btw Dice - truly appreciate your posts

Reactions: diggerpup
Steen < Ryder so far, right? (Pretty good argument that Gallagher > Steen thru their HS careers, though Steen does have some college development.) The other 2 guys Davis faced might never start in college at their non-power schools. One of them never placed at HS states.

That said, it's quite possible that Howard will never get back to what he was.

We can afford to be patient and find out over the course of the season, as opposed to the first weekend of the season. And there's no need to rush Davis into the lineup with McHenry around.
Do we know why McHenry didn’t go today?

Grades

125 - INC - To be fair, we don't know what we don't know. Give him another month of competition before making any judgements on Robbie. Between Howard, Davis and maybe even McHenry I think we at least have National qualifier. Upside from there can't be determined until the end of December with any of them, granted we know we are levels above Steen if we need to burn a shirt.
133 - Absent
141 - B+ Very solid but unspectacular. In the days of the 3 point takedown, close or SV matches can go either way
149 - A+ holy hell, just down right intimidating. Stiffer competition will validate a jump, but all indications are a different SVN has arrived - look out!
157 - A Opponents aren't going to like 7 mins or less of Levi this season.
165 - A- It's just the beginning. I want to see him against Top 10 larger guys. Maybe some first match jitters, emptied the tank a bit, but he bounced right back impressively. He is definitely going to be on the smaller side, but the motor is a great equalizer.
174 - A+ I don't see who can hang with him
184 - A- a decent first outing, his natural weight being close to 184 shows. I liked what I saw, but I want to see him as well against top competition that is larger and more powerful.
197 - A+ Hidlay will be the only guy to keep it close this year. I am hoping AJ somehow comes true, but I don't see that happening. If AJ joins the Hawkeyes, he will be a heavy.
HWT - B- Decent competition but if it weren't the very first event of the year, I would be leaning a C+. Kerk looked too big and slow IMO, I was hoping for the leaner more aggressive version that should jump all over the 3 point TD for consistent bonus if not Techs. This version of Kerk cruises to an AA no doubt, but he needs a strong dose of caffeine and some Jenny Craig to back up that #1 ranking. Just sayin'.

Overall a strong A for the team and especially some of the backups. Noone comes close to challenging this lineup. Even though we were missing a few guys, it's apparent we have backups who would start many other places and qualify. These are the best of times.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Grades

125 - INC - To be fair, we don't know what we don't know. Give him another month of competition before making any judgements on Robbie. Between Howard, Davis and maybe even McHenry I think we at least have National qualifier. Upside from there can't be determined until the end of December with any of them, granted we know we are levels above Steen if we need to burn a shirt.
133 - Absent
141 - B+ Very solid but unspectacular. In the days of the 3 point takedown, close or SV matches can go either way
149 - A+ holy hell, just down right intimidating. Stiffer competition will validate a jump, but all indications are a different SVN has arrived - look out!
165 - A- It's just the beginning. I want to see him against Top 10 larger guys. Maybe some first match jitters, emptied the tank a bit, but he bounced right back impressively. He is definitely going to be on the smaller side, but the motor is a great equalizer.
184 - A- a decent first outing, his natural weight being close to 184 shows. I liked what I saw, but I want to see him as well against top competition that is larger and more powerful.
197 - A+ Hidlay will be the only guy to keep it close this year. I am hoping AJ somehow comes true, but I don't see that happening. If AJ joins the Hawkeyes, he will be a heavy.
HWT - B- Decent competition but if it weren't the very first event of the year, I would be leaning a C+. Kerk looked too big and slow IMO, I was hoping for the leaner more aggressive version that should jump all over the 3 point TD for consistent bonus if not Techs. This version of Kerk cruises to an AA no doubt, but he needs a strong dose of caffeine and some Jenny Craig to back up that #1 ranking. Just sayin'.

Overall a strong A for the team and especially some of the backups. Noone comes close to challenging this lineup. Even though we were missing a few guys, it's apparent we have backups who would start many other places and qualify. These are the best of times.
I’m giving 141 an A. One of the toughest weight classes. Beau had a major over #12, a win over #13, a fall, and Evans beat #6.

All alone just the way you like it. Like your sex life.
He said alone with his predictions, not predilections.

giphy.gif

Grades

133 - Absent

I was just wondering how this works. Does Cael have to sign this Report Card?

Anyone know the new medical forfeit rule this year? I thought I read all MFF count as losses on record?

For example..Cornella MFF to David Evans. Does that count as a 2nd loss on day to Cornella?

Anyone know the new medical forfeit rule this year? I thought I read all MFF count as losses on record?

For example..Cornella MFF to David Evans. Does that count as a 2nd loss on day to Cornella?
I found this. Hope it helps.

The first medical forfeit results in a loss on the wrestler's individual season record. The exception is when a medical forfeit occurs immediately following an injury default. This new rule discourages wrestlers from using the medical forfeit when not injured. Before, wrestlers could medically forfeit, and their record would not be affected.

Grades

133 - Absent

Is Kerk sacrificing speed for size/strength a reaction to Steveson coming back? Knowing he's been overpowered in the past?

Is Kerk sacrificing speed for size/strength a reaction to Steveson coming back? Knowing he's been overpowered in the past?
According to press availability last week, Kerk knew he was going to drop weight as soon as NCAAs concluded. He is purportedly around 250 now, down from 260 last year.

I don't think it was "sluggishness" that slowed down Greg's attacks yesterday. If anything, it was concern with getting caught under larger bodies. I think it's too early to say he's slower this year--probably just a matter of getting a feel for D1 heavies again w/ less mass.

According to press availability last week, Kerk knew he was going to drop weight as soon as NCAAs concluded. He is purportedly around 250 now, down from 260 last year.

I don't think it was "sluggishness" that slowed down Greg's attacks yesterday. If anything, it was concern with getting caught under larger bodies. I think it's too early to say he's slower this year--probably just a matter of getting a feel for D1 heavies again w/ less mass.
Anyone know what Gable walks around at these days?

I like that Kerk decided that 250 was better wt. Power does not seem to be his issue. Last year he sacrificed agility for mass and helped with Cass but lost ground to Parris. The year previous he could get to angles. That cost him last year. That's why he beat Parris but lost last year. He is looking at the trials. Also IMO PSU misses Nevilles (wish him luck at Maryland). Kerk has great training partners but none above 220 and 6'2". It's a fine line at heavy between power and speed. He needs more time with big heavies to get confidence. He beat two ranked guys and did not give up a TD, rode well and controlled each match. I think Kerk is just fine.

Reactions: diggerpup
Grades

133 - Absent

125 - It's at least nice to see there is an improvement over the Steen results. Slowly heading in the right direction.
149 - I'd drop him to an A because there were still some signs of the wild/sloppiness that can get him in trouble. But he is definitely fun to watch, love the pins.
165 - Biggest concern here is looking undersized and overpowered. Looks like a 157. After that first match, it was easy to remember Carter lost his first match... MM was able to still pull out a W in his first match despite crazy expectations going into it and clearly exhausting himself, probably too amped up.
184 - Bernie seemed like he is going to stick to his style and not try to become a PSU scoring machine. Which will probably work best for him.
HWT - I think all along Kerk has been the best "wrestler" at HWY. Unfortunately, he seems to be missing the killer instinct. I'm not sure of the reason but he definitely holds himself back. His athletic/wrestling ability is head and shoulders above any HWY and is enough to win most of his matches but I would bet that Hendrickson's hardwork/desire overcomes Kerk's wrestling skill this year despite not being nearly as good of a wrestler. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Grades

133 - Absent

Let's refrain from "Grades." No need to bring any GIA sludge over here. ;)

Observations, comments, and open discourse are encouraged.:D:D

I'll put the ultimate cliche here but "Trust the coaches, they have a plan"

Mesenbrink is a prime candidate for a RS. He's definitely a smaller 165 and his points aren't remotely needed to win. We also have a capable 165 (Alex has shown an ability to beat Top 10 opponents but he has to put it together in March, not January) so he's going for a reason, coaches think he will be a weapon by March at NCAAs.

Clearly they think Mitch will take his lumps and be ready for March. Similarly, they might think being undersized isn't remotely a problem for him with his functional strength and gas tank. Mentally I'm sure he'll be happier and more focused just learning folk wrestling and eating whatever he wants rather than monitoring weight.

I found this. Hope it helps.

The first medical forfeit results in a loss on the wrestler's individual season record. The exception is when a medical forfeit occurs immediately following an injury default. This new rule discourages wrestlers from using the medical forfeit when not injured. Before, wrestlers could medically forfeit, and their record would not be affected.
This is what I thought the new rules were..thanks for posting.

Cornella should then have 2 losses on his record (loss to Beau) and MFF to Evans since he didn't injury default to Beau. Per wrestlestat, Cornella's record is 1-1 and it should be 1-2 per new rules. Could have a big impact in seeding in which it should. You want to sit out when not hurt then take the L

Reactions: Freebornman21
I'll put the ultimate cliche here but "Trust the coaches, they have a plan"

Mesenbrink is a prime candidate for a RS. He's definitely a smaller 165 and his points aren't remotely needed to win. We also have a capable 165 (Alex has shown an ability to beat Top 10 opponents but he has to put it together in March, not January) so he's going for a reason, coaches think he will be a weapon by March at NCAAs.

Clearly they think Mitch will take his lumps and be ready for March. Similarly, they might think being undersized isn't remotely a problem for him with his functional strength and gas tank. Mentally I'm sure he'll be happier and more focused just learning folk wrestling and eating whatever he wants rather than monitoring weight.
Do you mean next year to RS for MM? Because he wrestled yesterday, can't RS now.

had a FANTASTIC time at this event! awesome being so close, seeing our guys kick some butt. my 5yo son lasted the entire time thanks to another kid from his wrestling club being there to pal around with (and a couple of sessions with his tablet). he got another 3 signatures for his "wrestling the alphabet" book: Yianni, Zeke, and Cael. cael, with his typical humor quipped "why'd they make me bald? they put in my iowa state singlet but i had hair in college." haha we all did, coach.

Grades

133 - Absent

I hate handing out grades as fans.

These are college kids - most of them receiving very little aid, very little NIL if any.

Very very few on here know the complete backstory of what’s going on with all the kids (injury, weight, school work, family life etc )

These kids should be grading us fans, instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT