ADVERTISEMENT

"Keep Calm and Beat Penn"

That kind of stuff drives the Penn crowd crazy. How dare anyone confuse their Ivy pedigree with that state school up there in the middle of nowhere?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Back in the '80s Penn fans showed up at an NCAA hoops tournament game wearing shirts that proclaimed "Not Penn State." Those shirts were made after several commentators consistently referred to the Quakers as Penn State.

Kind of like confusing THEEE Ohio State University with Ohio University. Inexcusable in this day and age.

25914778.png

The OSU band helps create that confusion by spelling out "Ohio" during their pregame routine.

The Blue Band doesn't spell out Penn. THe Spartan band doesn't spell out Michigan.

And the Kansas State band has never spelled out Kansas or KU.

THE OSU band has a major problem!

People think I'm nuts but as the years go on, and seeing nonsense like this, I think we were boned out of some of our undefeated years because simpletons who had votes thought we were Penn. Not kidding. I'm talking about the '68-73 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHSPSU67
Thanks! My sister-in-law Penn graduate is here... and believe me, this drives her nuts. Any opportunity I have is welcomed :p

Pre Ivy League Penn was a powerhouse. Franklin Field seated 75,000.
We opened in Franklin Field and closed at Pitt stadium no home and home.

People think I'm nuts but as the years go on, and seeing nonsense like this, I think we were boned out of some of our undefeated years because simpletons who had votes thought we were Penn. Not kidding. I'm talking about the '68-73 years.
back in the day, my fratenity had someone come down from PSU athletic department (some ass't AD) , and he went on and on, about how they had to explain they were PSU and not Penn and did not play in the Ivy League. He said they had to educate people that they played a different schedule and again not in the Ivy league. So I agree, I think you are correct this was a problem.

BTW at the end of the presentation, my of my brothers stood up and asked, 'so how do you think you'll do in the Ivy league' the dude was not pleased.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
back in the day, my fratenity had someone come down from PSU athletic department (some ass't AD) , and he went on and on, about how they had to explain they were PSU and not Penn and did not play in the Ivy League. He said they had to educate people that they played a different schedule and again not in the Ivy league. So I agree, I think you are correct this was a problem.

BTW at the end of the presentation, my of my brothers stood up and asked, 'so how do you think you'll do in the Ivy league' the dude was not pleased.

Would you confuse Keeneland with Churchill? Would I confuse Parx with Penn? Would a NYer confuse Aqueduct with Belmont or Saratoga? This is basic math. There is intent here. BTW, Happy New Year Sluggo. Among the realitively few BWI people I met, you are a party waiting to happen. Cheers! One of the more memorable moments for me this year was sharing some (a lot) of beers with Slug.

Would you confuse Keeneland with Churchill? Would I confuse Parx with Penn? Would a NYer confuse Aqueduct with Belmont or Saratoga? This is basic math. There is intent here. BTW, Happy New Year Sluggo. Among the realitively few BWI people I met, you are a party waiting to happen. Cheers! One of the more memorable moments for me this year was sharing some (a lot) of beers with Slug.
Thanks and back to you!,, you make it down this way again, let me know
Happy new year to you as well!

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Have the Quakers ever played in the Rose Bowl?
The Quakers were a top ten team for a good part of the first half of the 20th century. Plenty of the National powers played the Quakers at Franklin Field to huge crowds. It must have been great here in Philadelphia. There are some great old time pictures of Franklin field and a search engine query can find them. I am sorry I did not answer your question but I just figured I would give a little history.

I had a Penn grad dermatologist tell me while I was in school that Penn wouldn't want to compare football teams, but Penn State wouldn't want to compare SAT scores with Penn. I told him my SAT score. His eyebrows raised, then I told him I would then be seeking a new dermatologist. It was awesome - he was incapable of dealing with unexpected confrontation.

Reactions: ralphster
I want one.

We should print a shirt that says:

Go PSU beat Cal.
LOL. Trojan alums detest the name "Southern Cal" to begin with. As if they were the southern progeny of the original institution, and therefore less. They are not our progeny, but they are, in fact, less. Just not in football.

I had a Penn grad dermatologist tell me while I was in school that Penn wouldn't want to compare football teams, but Penn State wouldn't want to compare SAT scores with Penn. I told him my SAT score. His eyebrows raised, then I told him I would then be seeking a new dermatologist. It was awesome - he was incapable of dealing with unexpected confrontation.
"pimple popper MD"

Last edited:
As a side note - have any Trojan
Fans come on this board at all since the match up was announced? I don't recall seeing any and usually a few fans will show up before any bowl match up. Maybe this shirt explains why as they may be searching for a Penn message board.

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT