ADVERTISEMENT

Kudo's for Carpenter!!!!

Ian

Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
State College, Pa
George Carpenter (Penn State) has struggled this season, but this should provide a clue as to why. The man who should have been backing up Jered Cortez this season has faced the second-toughest schedule, on a per match basis, in the country. He has faced Clark, Tomasello, Montoya, and Brock. There aren’t many back-ups anywhere that could handle the slate he has faced. And he hasn't been pinned in his five big matches... Kudo's to Carpenter for sucking it up and giving it up for the team. His ending yesterday was absolutely awesome. TD and riding Brock out. In the mold of the English's and Pearsall's of past teams.

He's actually closing the gap. He held Brock to a major, and Brock actually gassed. I'll call it now: Carpenter wins one match at the B1G's, maybe two.

It's going to happen: He is now pushing everyone, and is much harder to take down now.
against who Guns? Unfortunately he is wrestling well and keeping from getting pinned or tech'd. However, the top guys he is wrestling seemingly are taking him down at will. Take away the getting gassed by Brock and he hasn't been that close to getting TDs. His TD ratio is not very good. However, the point is he is doing a wonderful job stepping in, especially through the heat of the B10 schedule.
I would love to see him get a win at B10s... but he is probably going up against the #1 or #2 seed. Carpenter deserves a medal or gold star. Great attitude, hustle, etc. Glad he is representing the good guys.

Here's a list of guys Carpenter has a shot against:

Pepple
Ipsarides (lost first matchup)

He's actually closing the gap. He held Brock to a major, and Brock actually gassed. I'll call it now: Carpenter wins one match at the B1G's, maybe two.
Let's take a closer look at his likely bracket. I'll use the seeds predicted at BSD, because they look reasonable:
http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2017/2/14/14609108/big-ten-wrestling-standings-start-of-post-season

B10 is expected to receive 10 auto-qualifiers, so they'll seed all 14 guys. Carpenter (or Law) will certainly get the 14 seed and face 3 Clark. Clark won the dual 19-4, so let's assume Carpenter drops to consolations.

His first consolations match would be against the 6-11 loser (Rappo or Ispirades). Carpenter lost to Isparides 4-3, and Law was only down 4-2 to Rappo at the time of the neutral fall, so winning that match is conceivable. If he wins that, then he most likely draws the 4-5 loser (RIchards or Micic) next -- not a likely win. If he loses to Rappo/Ispirades, then he's done.

So, yeah, he might win one. Two seems a bit optimistic given his likely draw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT