ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Snyder

As a fan, it's a shame we never got to see Morgan's senior freestyle career. IMO he was better at freestyle than folk, at least in HS.

Not saying he would've won a world team spot over Cox. Am wondering if he would've medaled at the major international tourneys that allow multiple entrants per country. Very few people have beaten Cox or Snyder, and he beat both.
MM has a higher calling and congratulations to him. Making us all proud.

Fast forward to Tokyo. Snyder ankle picks Sadulaev for gold and jumps into Cael's arms.
In an alternate universe, this is all an elaborate ruse to steal Pin Chain back from Bo.

DYwFK5nWsAETjK8.jpg

Very happy for Cael, nlwc, and Kyle. Can’t help but feel a little bad for Tom Ryan, seems like a genuine guy when you take all the pettiness away, and Kyle was his rock, make no mistake. A bigger recruiting tool than even their new facility, and a guy that is so talented that he alone would keep them in the conversation as best program in the county. Not only do they lose him, we gain him.

Good to see Cael finally address the program's biggest weakness, a lack of elite upperweight training partners. Great get for you guys and congrats!

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Snyder will join a talented wrestling room at Penn State that features U.S. freestyle stars such as 2018 World champion David Taylor (86 kg), two-time Senior World Team member Zain Retherford (65 kg) and 2019 U23 World Team member Bo Nickal (92 kg).

Past Greco-Roman World Team members Mason Manville and Ben Provisor also train with the NLWC as well as international freestylers such as 2012 Olympic silver medalist Jamie Espinal from Puerto Rico, two-time World medalist Bekzod Abdurakhmanov from Uzbekistan and 2011 World silver medalist Franklin Gomez from Puerto Rico.

Among his training partners will be Taylor, Nickal, 2019 NCAA champion Anthony Cassar and four-time Division III NCAA champion Riley LeFever as well as 2012 Olympic champion Jake Varner, who Snyder competed against for the World Team spot in 2015 and the Olympic Team spot in 2016.

“Penn State has world-class coaches and world-class competitors in the room. I just think that change is really important. I’ll get a lot of feels there and different perspective of my wrestling,” he said. “Having wrestled against Varner and knowing the type of feel he has, I think his style and his pace is something I’m really excited to put myself up against…it’ll be really good to work with him.”

Welcome Kyle Snyder!

Whilst packing for Happy Valley, kindly leave hell where you found it. Just kidding. Welcome, really. I imagine Kyle's presence will help Bo and DT [edit to add and Cassar!] in no small measure. Win win.

It's funny how people look at it differently. Most PSU fans see help on the way in Snyder while Snyder sees the help is already here. This is BIG!

Reactions: NoVaLion2
That's big news. I would think Cassar is going 125 kg for the run to Tokyo. That would leave Bo gunning for either Snyder or DT. Can this all co-exist without conflict? Burroughs said in his post World interview it'll be awkward with James Green and that "houses will be divided." We saw what happened with Ramos/Dennis. If anyone can make it work, I suppose Cael can.

I believe Bo and Anthony already stated that they will make a run at 2020 and then pursue fighting. One year of competition in the room shouldn't divide anything. Anyone else see Gwiz following?

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Very happy for Cael, nlwc, and Kyle. Can’t help but feel a little bad for Tom Ryan, seems like a genuine guy when you take all the pettiness away, and Kyle was his rock, make no mistake. A bigger recruiting tool than even their new facility, and a guy that is so talented that he alone would keep them in the conversation as best program in the county. Not only do they lose him, we gain him.
Well put. It must have been a tough decision and hard message to deliver to Tom Ryan. NLWC certainly got stronger and I hope it workout well for Kyle.

I believe Bo and Anthony already stated that they will make a run at 2020 and then pursue fighting. One year of competition in the room shouldn't divide anything. Anyone else see Gwiz following?

Didn’t Gwiz wrestle under the NLWC label at Yasar Dogu?

He’s already had Casey in his corner in several of his recent matches.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I wonder how, after Spencer wins his 4th NCAA championship and announces he is moving to state college to finally learn offensive wrestling skills and get better preparing for the 2024 Olympics, the inner circle and peripheral HR support group will react?
I wonder if Larry moves to Huntington to become the Juniata College dean of binders?

I think your perception of this move depends on where your priorities or how your Priorities are aligned. Is it more important to bash Ohio State and beat them down? Is it more important to celebrate another addition to assist the PSU upper weights? Or perhaps you are happy that team USA has possibly or potentially gotten stronger? It’s a great move for everyone involved except Ohio State! In my opinion their failure to evolve has been a down fall that we all should have seen coming and I hope for Team USA sake they can figure it out. We need all our RTCs on a high level to continue to push the USAW team upward. My 2 cents

I think your perception of this move depends on where your priorities or how your Priorities are aligned. Is it more important to bash Ohio State and beat them down? Is it more important to celebrate another addition to assist the PSU upper weights? Or perhaps you are happy that team USA has possibly or potentially gotten stronger? It’s a great move for everyone involved except Ohio State! In my opinion their failure to evolve has been a down fall that we all should have seen coming and I hope for Team USA sake they can figure it out. We need all our RTCs on a high level to continue to push the USAW team upward. My 2 cents
Tom Ryan is a frequent target of fun on this board. While I think most of us respect the job he has done, and recognize that he is a good guy that seems to genuinely care about his athletes, he does bring it on himself to a certain extent with the things he says on twitter. As for the Ohio OTC, yeah, it is a mess right now, but I expect they will bounce back in time. They have the funding and facilities.

Tom Ryan is a frequent target of fun on this board. While I think most of us respect the job he has done, and recognize that he is a good guy that seems to genuinely care about his athletes, he does bring it on himself to a certain extent with the things he says on twitter. As for the Ohio OTC, yeah, it is a mess right now, but I expect they will bounce back in time. They have the funding and facilities.
You have to imagine they’ll make some sort of splash given all the money they’ve put into the program - bolster the staff, add some big name athletes. They’re not going away

Too much pettiness in the comments going around.

Can anyone empathize with Kyle and try to understand where he's coming from? His future success will be a combination of all his wrestling experiences, which now will include the Ohio State RTC AND more time at the NLWC. He's wanting to improve, not because Ohio State was a bad experience, but because it was a great experience. Adding to that with hopefully another great experience can and should help him be better. At some level there's a competition between all the RTC's, but this isn't it...it's as simple to me as a young man looking for a new set of eyes and new partners. I just don't see it as anything at all against their program or their fans. He should always be considered a Buckeye.

I can't imagine the enormity of this decision for him. He's one high-character dude, much more so than the detractors.

All the lame criticisms are narrow-minded, short-sighted, and mis-directed. Welcome Kyle and best wishes.

one of the major deciding factors was a family member and med school. This will be better for Kyle as you said with new looks and partners and very obvious reasons it helps PSU/NLWC.

This all makes me wonder wonder tho if he was waiting for the new wrestling complex to open bc it may impact donor $ to tOSU.

Too much pettiness in the comments going around.

Can anyone empathize with Kyle and try to understand where he's coming from? His future success will be a combination of all his wrestling experiences, which now will include the Ohio State RTC AND more time at the NLWC. He's wanting to improve, not because Ohio State was a bad experience, but because it was a great experience. Adding to that with hopefully another great experience can and should help him be better. At some level there's a competition between all the RTC's, but this isn't it...it's as simple to me as a young man looking for a new set of eyes and new partners. I just don't see it as anything at all against their program or their fans. He should always be considered a Buckeye.

I can't imagine the enormity of this decision for him. He's one high-character dude, much more so than the detractors.

All the lame criticisms are narrow-minded, short-sighted, and mis-directed. Welcome Kyle and best wishes.

Last edited:
Despite how he is a punchline on this board a lot (not how we would have handled it, Aruba), I think almost everyone agrees Tommy Ryan is a great guy, he's the players' (wrestlers') coach. Obviously I can do without his social media antics sometimes but a lot of times it's clear his intentional is to grow the sport or stick up for his guys (though he is petty a lot obviously)

It's been said on this board multiple times that Ohio State wrestlers are always great kids who demonstrate class on and off the mat and in victory and defeat. It's obvious he has a lot to do with that and for that reason alone, he has my utmost respect.

Total respect from me for Tom Ryan. He did a great job at Hofstra and has done a great job at tOSU. He's pushed the Buckeyes to the second position in the college wrestling hierarchy and that's no small potatoes. Yeah, he says some goofy stuff sometimes, but I can forgive that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT