ADVERTISEMENT

Last Days of Knight

The story I read or heard was from an interview with Knight many years ago. While I recall that there was a clear reason in his mind that he threw the chair, I am probably not 100% on all the surrounding facts from the story. How true the entire story is is up for personal interpretation, but it was from a writer or journalist (I know, I know) who talked to Knight about it.

He was trying to get in front of the NCAA (I think, or maybe just the B1G), and the powers that be would not grant him a meeting. From Knight's POV, it was because they knew he was right about whatever he was pissed off about, more than likely an instance or 12 of cheating from another school. So, he said, he knew that if he was to be suspended for some infraction, he would be granted a meeting. When he yet again disagreed with an official's call(s), he threw the chair to make sure he got tossed from the game and subsequently suspended. When he got the meeting about the suspension, he took the opportunity to state his case on whatever the other issue was. In his POV, he was forced to do something drastic because the chiefs would not grant him a meeting on the subject he wanted. (That piece of the story sounds very, very plausible, imo.)

I'm no fan of Knight's because of his bullying and off-the-wall temper brought on by his own perceived demons, way beyond what I believe to be reasonable. He was/is a brilliant coach, very smart, cared about his players in his own way, did many good things for people behind the scenes, trusted very few people for his own reasons.
I read the book about their 1987 Championship season by John Feinstein way back when. I remember thinking that it elevated my opinion of Knight, showed the good side of him that few people knew about, gave insight to his coaching during practices and games, and his ongoing internal struggle with anything less than perfection. Not long after, Knight came out and blasted the book as being very anti-Bobby Knight and distorted and made him look bad.... the exact opposite take away I had as an objective reader.

Another favorite story about him is the one where a recruit from Chicago who signed with Illinois after heavy recruiting from IU was killed prior to his freshman year. Knight visited the kid's mother to express his sympathies. (The Illinois coach had not, if I recall.) Anyway, the Mother says to Knight, 'What should I do about the money?' What money? 'The money they gave me.' Who gave you? 'Illinois. Wait here.' She went into a bedroom and came back with two shopping bags full of cash. 'They gave me this money for son to sign with them. Should I give it back?' No, said Knight. Keep it. It's yours.

I have heard same . The kid was Ben Wilson.

when he played for him he liked Knight .... Knight just became a miserable and awful guy. While he was always a hard nose coach & disciplinarian with a bad temper, I dont think he was always the complete dickhead he became late in life.

BTW, Dakich's description of how Knight handled the program with regards to recruiting & such sounds an awful lot like Joe from the 2000s.

The parallels between Knight and Paterno are striking.

Read Posnanski's book, particularly the parts about Don Abbey. Paterno went out of his way to humiliate him.

There were quite a few players who could not stand Paterno when they were at PSU, their views changed about him later on. Before Joe got old, he was no picnic to play for.

Very true. Some of the players who praised Paterno after his death had rather colorful and less than
flattering nicknames for him when they were playing.

This was basketball, not war. I get your point and believe Knight was a great basketball mind. But he went over the line a few times. Throwing a chair across the court is just childish.

That said, I did come away from the documentary thinking that there was overreaction to Knight’s missteps.
I always wonder why no one mentions the topic of mental illness with Bobby Knight....

At times Joe could be a condescending prick in his latter years, especially towards the media. In fact, I'm of the belief this helped lead to his downfall (i.e. these same reporters published hundreds of articles where they twisted his "With the benefit of hindsight..." statement into an admission of guilt).

That said, IMHO it is grossly unfair comparing the way Joe treated people to how Bobby Knight treated people. Joe was an egomaniac who at times could be grumpy, rude and condescending. Knight, on the other hand, was a foul-mouthed boorish bully megalomaniac whose monstrous behavior is simply the not acceptable anywhere in a civilized society.
I would not put Joe anywhere near the level that Knight was. But you are kidding yourself if you don't believe that Joe at times was very harsh with his players and sometimes down right mean. Like I posted, read the Posnanski book and pay particular attention to how he treated Don Abbey. Went out of his way to humiliate him. It was a different time and many coaches behaved the same way.

I think Knight got worse over time as he kept getting away with more. Joe improved with age in how he treated his players. He had not use for the media after they violated his confidence with the Jackie Sherrill/Barry Switzer comment which was meant to be private.

Reactions: Bob78
In his prime, Bobby Knight was one of the great coaches of all time -- in any sport at any level.

I'd highly recommend John Feinstein's classic book A Season On The Brink for a good description of the life and times of the man, boiled down to one tumultuous year.

Inevitably, Knight burned out and became a caricature of himself. The physical and verbal abuse, the chairs thrown across the court, the meltdowns, and so forth. A sad spectacle.

In the end, he was testimony to the price paid for hanging on too long. Then again, he has a lot of company in that regard -- to include a legendary Penn State coach.

What had struck me with all the clips of Knight being a jerk that resurfaced with the airing of the 30 for 30 (example -- how he yelled at the press conference moderator for messing something up) was that no one ever stood up to him. They let him shout them down without any sort of pushback. The moderator at the press conference easily could have told him to either talk or get off the stage. The writers that he'd demean in press conferences could have come right back at him rather than just taking his crap and writing it in their notebooks.

Reactions: acg116
Very true. Some of the players who praised Paterno after his death had rather colorful and less than
flattering nicknames for him when they were playing.
Including a Hall of Fame linebacker who infamously named him
“The Rat.”

What had struck me with all the clips of Knight being a jerk that resurfaced with the airing of the 30 for 30 (example -- how he yelled at the press conference moderator for messing something up) was that no one ever stood up to him. They let him shout them down without any sort of pushback. The moderator at the press conference easily could have told him to either talk or get off the stage. The writers that he'd demean in press conferences could have come right back at him rather than just taking his crap and writing it in their notebooks.
Wrestling fans know of a story concerning one small, tough person who stood up to him.

1960 Olympic gold medalist Douglas Blubaugh was head wrestling coach at IU from 1973 to 1984. Early in his tenure while he jogged in the practice facility during basketball practice, Knight yelled at him to leave, using more than one expletive. Blubaugh pinned Knight to a wall, and told him never to repeat his performance. He never did.

https://newsok.com/article/5559704/doug-blubaugh-was-tougher-than-he-was-good

6272889.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyons212
Including a Hall of Fame linebacker who infamously named him
“The Rat.”

Hall of Fame Linebacker? I know Vic Surma Sr. called Paterno “The Rat”, but that was only because Joe apparently couldn’t prevent his son from becoming gay. Vic Sr. had greatly respected Joe prior to his son playing for him.

Not so coincidentally, it was Vic’s brother John who, as a BOT member, pushed hardest for Joe’s firing. I also strongly suspect John Surma took the lead as a far giving direction to Louis Freeh to reach a certain conclusion with his “investigation”.

Wrestling fans know of a story concerning one small, tough person who stood up to him.

1960 Olympic gold medalist Douglas Blubaugh was head wrestling coach at IU from 1973 to 1984. Early in his tenure while he jogged in the practice facility during basketball practice, Knight yelled at him to leave, using more than one expletive. Blubaugh pinned Knight to a wall, and told him never to repeat his performance. He never did.

https://newsok.com/article/5559704/doug-blubaugh-was-tougher-than-he-was-good

6272889.jpg

That’s great

I read that 98% of his 4 year players graduated. Doesn't mean he wasn't an arse but that should count for something.

That's an overblown stat. MOST schools will have a very high grad rate for players who stick around for four years. The question should be, what's the percentage of kids who enter a program and graduate from there?. If you are going to run off 90% of an incoming class, it doesn't take too many people graduating to make your four year numbers look good.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Joe was condescending to the media for good reason. Every single PC was the same damn thing. "When are you going to retire?" Joe wanted to talk about his team. The press was insufferable!
What?? I don't remember it that way.

What had struck me with all the clips of Knight being a jerk that resurfaced with the airing of the 30 for 30 (example -- how he yelled at the press conference moderator for messing something up) was that no one ever stood up to him.

The people who should have stood up to him, and were responsible for doing so, were Knight's employers, not the reporters, not the moderators, not the low level, college event interns, etc. The problem was that Knight's employers didn't give a sh!# about his antics because he won enough to make it worth their while. Eventually he didn't win enough to do so.

The people who should have stood up to him, and were responsible for doing so, were Knight's employers, not the reporters, not the moderators, not the low level, college event interns, etc. The problem was that Knight's employers didn't give a sh!# about his antics because he won enough to make it worth their while. Eventually he didn't win enough to do so.

ESPN reporter, and former local CDT scribe, Heather Dinich, put herself on the map when she scored the only in-depth interview with Knight during those final days of his at Indiana.

http://www.xgames.com/video/23105549/dinich-recalls-final-interview-knight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT