ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for a Bit of History: Wrestler Died from Horsehair Mat

Pitchfork Rebel

Feb 20, 2020
Some of you may know that Warren Tischler established Resilite because of the issues he faced from wrestling on horsehair mats.

Official history here:

But what I'm looking for is a wrestler who actually died from them (and this may predate the the modern NCAA era beginning in 1928). As I recall the story , the story was he won a college wrestling championship and was "barnstorming" as a means of livelihood either just after getting married or an anticipation of getting married, and received a nasty abrasion from one of the mats which caused sepsis and killed him at something like 24, just a year or two out of college.

Searching for the account gets a flood of Peyton Robb accounts, I'm wondering if anybody else has ever heard anything about this fellow.

Anyone live in an old house with lath and plaster? That is probably horsehair reinforcing the plaster.

Reactions: Pitteefool
Anyone live in an old house with lath and plaster? That is probably horsehair reinforcing the plaster.
Owned a stone house built in 1750. On a humid summer day, the house smelled like horse stables lol. I miss that old house, but 15 years as the caretaker was enough. It's a ton of work fixing the mistakes others have made, especially electrically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT