ADVERTISEMENT

Manny made $3.6 mill. this year at PSU and was set to make $3.7 mill at PSU next year.

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022

He's 49, has one of the best defenses in America. Has job security like not many coaches in the country. He's already failed as a head coach and is now going to a football program that is incredibly hard to recruit at and win at, in a struggling conference that he already failed in, with a much easier program to win at in Miami.

How much more is Duke going to pay him? I wish Manny the best but I wouldn't have made that move if I were him. I would have waited for a better job to open up.

If he fails at Duke he's never going to be able to get a big time coaching job.

Last edited:
Reactions: aworsnup
He wants to be a head coach. The money doesn't matter. He was never going to get an elite HC job directly from his current role. 7-9 wins at Duke puts him on everyone's radar. See Elko.

Not sure how long you want him to wait for a better job that may never come. We're lucky he stayed for 2 years.

Reactions: blair10
He wants to be a head coach. The money doesn't matter. He was never going to get an elite HC job directly from his current role. 7-9 wins at Duke puts him on everyone's radar. See Elko.

Not sure how long you want him to wait for a better job that may never come. We're lucky he stayed for 2 years.
He should have waited 1 more year at least. 2 years of waiting is nothing. But I hope we promote Poindexter bc I think he will model after Manny and will instill the fundamentals that Manny preached on defense.

He's 49, has one of the best defenses in America. Has job security like not many coaches in the country. He's already failed as a head coach and is now going to a football program that is incredibly hard to recruit at and win at, in a struggling conference that he already failed in, with a much easier program to win at in Miami.

How much more is Duke going to pay him? I wish Manny the best but I wouldn't have made that move if I were him. I would have waited for a better job to open up.

He went 21-15 at Miami until some boosters decided they wanted Mario Cristobal instead. He didn’t “fail”

So you take a swipe at the guy after he's done a terrific job at PSU and has a job at Duke that he's enthusiastic about.

Why don't you just thank him, wish him well, and see who might fill the DC at Penn State?

He should have waited 1 more year at least. 2 years of waiting is nothing. But I hope we promote Poindexter bc I think he will model after Manny and will instill the fundamentals that Manny preached on defense.
Why should he have waited?
This was the best defense he was going to have and schools like A&M still had zero interest.
You selfishly wish he stayed.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
How much more is Duke gonna pay him than $3.7 mill?
So it’s all about the money to you? Maybe Manny is different. Maybe he wants more than just money out of a job. Hate to break it to you, but for most of these coaches, it’s just a job. They aren’t alumni and don’t feel any loyalty to any particular institution.

Good question. By all accounts, Elko was making $3.5M at Duke and got a pay raise to $7M+ with A&M. Perhaps Diaz is thinking he could do the same.
Right
Like the NFL being about getting to the second contract asap it's the same here. Duke is his stepping stone if he can win 7-9 games to a high profile job.

Good question. By all accounts, Elko was making $3.5M at Duke and got a pay raise to $7M+ with A&M after just 2 years. Perhaps Diaz is thinking he could do the same.
Elko was making North of $6m per year. A HC can make a lot more than a coordinator with radio shows, public appearances, and endorsements.

I’ll bet his salary is north of $5 million. And Duke is a great place to be. I think this was a great move for Manny.

He is at an age where he wants to be at the top. I think it’s more of a matter of pride and career advancement than salary.

And lord knows nobody learns and gets better. Guys like Diaz came out of the womb knowing how to make adjustments.
agreed. my experience is that if the new person tries to duplicate Manny, they be 90% the first year, 80% the next, 60% the year after and so on. There is a science and an art to this stuff. The science can be duplicated. The art cannot. You just have to feel it in your gut. You can't duplicate Manny.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

He made that much? Damn. Didn’t realize assistants were up that high

Reactions: 81b&w
Everyone is has and is entitled to set their own priorities. Individuals will all weigh position (HC vs DC), $, family (what is best for them), location (cold winters vs temperate ones), employer, etc., differently. Like Micah Shrewsberry did in going to Notre Dame. While I think Centre County Pennsylvania is a great place to live, it doesn't mean everone else does.

Reactions: PSU_Nut and bison13
Good question. By all accounts, Elko was making $3.5M at Duke and got a pay raise to $7M+ with A&M after just 2 years. Perhaps Diaz is thinking he could do the same.
Elko was making North of $6m per year. A HC can make a lot more than a coordinator with radio shows, public appearances, and endorsements.

I’ll bet his salary is north of $5 million. And Duke is a great place to be. I think this was a great move for Manny.

Multiple sources have/had Elko at $3.5M base salary, plus incentives. A&M is $7M base + incentives.

Mike Elko's salary: How much does the Duke coach earn in 2023?

Mike Elko makes $3.5 million per year as the head coach of Duke football, plus incentives and bonuses.

Mike Elko Salary, Contract, Net Worth, and More

Everyone is has and is entitled to set their own priorities. Individuals will all weigh position (HC vs DC), $, family (what is best for them), location (cold winters vs temperate ones), employer, etc., differently. Like Micah Shrewsberry did in going to Notre Dame. While I think Centre County Pennsylvania is a great place to live, it doesn't mean everone else does.
Perhaps he did not want to spend another season under Franklin. That could have been a motivating factor.

Reactions: therod
agreed. my experience is that if the new person tries to duplicate Manny, they be 90% the first year, 80% the next, 60% the year after and so on. There is a science and an art to this stuff. The science can be duplicated. The art cannot. You just have to feel it in your gut. You can't duplicate Manny.
Yep, they have to develop their own style. When I got into management I had to learn to do things how I wanted to do them not how my former boss would have done things.

may have calculated that psu is going to give up on Franklin in about 4 years and all he has to do is get to a bowl game to be the top choice here

How much more is Duke gonna pay him than $3.7 mill?
Respectfully, this is not hard to understand.
Manny is a successful coordinator.
He wants another shot at being a head coach and Duke almost certainly is paying him more than he was making at PSU
If he is successful at Duke, he gets a Tier 1 job in a few years.
If he isn't, he gets fired and gets a top shelf DC job immediately.
So, he makes more money in 2024 and he either gets an even bigger raise in a few years, or he winds up back where he was in 2023 with extra millions in the bank.

Good Luck to Manny!

The article doesn't make it clear, but I don't think there is any way PSU was set to pay Diaz $3.7M in 2024. The way the article describes it, it sounds like at least part of that compensation was going to be due to Miami (FL) paying part of it. Reportedly, Diaz was only signed through 2023 by the Hurricanes, so I wonder if there was some sort of buyout money or deferred compensation coming to Diaz in 2024 from Miami (FL) that would have gotten him to $3.7M.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT