ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Blaze Thread

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
While war rages in the other recruit threads over social media hype, arguably the #1 wrestler in the 2025 class is uncommitted and flying under the radar.

Under 17 World Champ; Defeated Lilly, Nico and Jax on the way to taking 3rd and making the U.S. Olympic Team as a Junior in High School.

Should be making his decision some time in the near future. Projects to 141-149 in college.

May be down to PSU and tOSU; wild card is Purdue where his older brother wrestles.

Last edited:
The list at the bottom isn’t inaccurate but it predates DT at OSU. Im not saying we’ll get him but I think it’s a pretty good bet to say we’re in the hunt.

If we(PSU) could only get one of these 3 kids(Bassett, Blaze, Forrest), who would you take and why?

Add Michigan to the list of possibilities because it's close to his home.

Blaze's original finalist list was: anOSU, Purdue, Cornell, Iowa, Michigan.

He has continued interest in Ohio State and obviously Purdue. PSU coming into the list later, without any real chatter about the other 3 schools, is not a good sign for them.

If we(PSU) could only get one of these 3 kids(Bassett, Blaze, Forrest), who would you take and why?
To me, they're all 3 fantastic prospects, so it boils down to need. And that depends on what weight Bassett projects to. We need 141 in 2026 or 2027, 149 in 2027, and 157 in 2028 (assuming Duke outgrows 157).

After Bartlett graduates this year, Perry will be the only 141 on the roster. Perhaps Nagao will move up, but that only buys 1 year. Of those 2 prospects, I prefer Blaze because IMO he's more consistent and less sloppy. But that's a preference, not an absolute, and Forrest is hardly a consolation prize.

After Van Ness graduates in 2026, our only 149s will be Pierce and Weiss. if Bassett can hold 149, then he's the obvious choice. This seems risky -- he just won U20 Trials at 65 kg/143 lb. Maybe he can hold 149 until Kasak graduates in 2027?

If we get all 3, then Blaze and Forrest can alternate shirts for their first 2 years. One of them would have to eat more to get to 149 once Kasak graduates and Bassett moves up.

I wonder if PSU is recruiting him?
I would be shocked if we weren't in touch.

How hard we'll continue to pursue him? I'd think we would want to get him on campus for a visit, and see how that goes.

He's clearly a special talent. But we already have elite talent logjams at his most likely weights (IMO 174/184, as he just competed GR 160/FS 165 at Fargo).

That wouldn't preclude Cael from pursuing him. But it would make him a lower priority than 141, 149, 157, and HWT -- where we need a starter or at least starter-capable depth. Also, does he end up at the same weight as Melvin Miller?

I would be shocked if we weren't in touch.

How hard we'll continue to pursue him? I'd think we would want to get him on campus for a visit, and see how that goes.

He's clearly a special talent. But we already have elite talent logjams at his most likely weights (IMO 174/184, as he just competed GR 160/FS 165 at Fargo).

That wouldn't preclude Cael from pursuing him. But it would make him a lower priority than 141, 149, 157, and HWT -- where we need a starter or at least starter-capable depth. Also, does he end up at the same weight as Melvin Miller?
Totally agree. I'm not sure how much more Stewart grows because he is short and stocky. He does not have a long frame to keep putting weight on. I think we will know a lot when Bassett commits because that will tell us the likely spot for Miller.

After Van Ness graduates in 2026, our only 149s will be Pierce and Weiss. if Bassett can hold 149, then he's the obvious choice. This seems risky -- he just won U20 Trials at 65 kg/143 lb. Maybe he can hold 149 until Kasak graduates in 2027?
SVN has eligibility until ‘27 assuming he gets a medical for last year, right?

Cael wants to win all 10 weight classes and is tickled pink with the new roster “limits” as he’ll warehouse an even more impressive juggernaut who are there for Olympic gold and world titles. If you wrestle NCAA, great, but higher goals emanate from that room. World dominance. NCAAs is just a placeholder.

SVN has eligibility until ‘27 assuming he gets a medical for last year, right?
Yes, and while recently NCAA has tossed around medical shirts Mardi Gras beads, we shouldn't recruit today based upon that. He could decide to not pursue it, or the NCAA could reject it because reasons. Or he could grow into 157.

I have been waiting for this thread since the other two came out!

I'm too shy to start it.
giphy.gif

Reactions: AtownPoke
Heard from a friend who, heard it was a friend who,, Marcus is 98.5% coming to PSU (.5% to Purdue, 1% Ohio St) but doesn’t want to give up his training at OTC. I guess they are going all in over there and when he commits he mostly likely won’t be welcomed back. Seems like he is nervous to break it off with them and taking the fruit while he can.
This is big time for the good guys!

Reactions: Jplions4 and Maddog
Heard from a friend who, heard it was a friend who,, Marcus is 98.5% coming to PSU (.5% to Purdue, 1% Ohio St) but doesn’t want to give up his training at OTC. I guess they are going all in over there and when he commits he mostly likely won’t be welcomed back. Seems like he is nervous to break it off with them and taking the fruit while he can.
that's good news. Help me understand how a commitment interferes with activity at the OTC? I thought the OTC was non-affiliated ...

I think he meant ORTC. He spends a ton of time training with Mendez.
I am not sure why that would be an issue. Snyder worked out multiple dozens of times at Lorenzo while wrestling for Ohio State, Gwiz did the same while wrestling at NCST. Carr spent hours in Lorenzo during summers while visiting Brooks and David's brother Nate. Heck, Kemerer spent some summer hours rolling around Lorenzo.

Reactions: vhsalum
I am not sure why that would be an issue. Snyder worked out multiple dozens of times at Lorenzo while wrestling for Ohio State, Gwiz did the same while wrestling at NCST. Carr spent hours in Lorenzo during summers while visiting Brooks and David's brother Nate. Heck, Kemerer spent some summer hours rolling around Lorenzo.
Because Tom Ryan is quite petty.

maybe a difference of before and post commitment... Already decided vs still thinking/doors open

Reactions: vhsalum
maybe a difference of before and post commitment... Already decided vs still thinking/doors open
Not the same. Cael has been welcoming to just about anybody who wanted to show up at Lorenzo and learn. Regardless of current school affiliation. I guarantee if Bassett decides to attend either OSU, or Iowa and he is home for break or whatever and he wants to roll around with the PSU guys the answer will be OK.

Reactions: hlstone and vhsalum
I believe Pyles admitted on his show that it was Marcus' relative who told him Marcus is coming to PSU. It's just that he didn't know the timing of the announcement will be, but definitely after the Nationals (?).

I believe Pyles admitted on his show that it was Marcus' relative who told him Marcus is coming to PSU. It's just that he didn't know the timing of the announcement will be, but definitely after the Nationals (?).
Pyles on FRL said he sat next to his grandparents at OTT and they told him they expect him to commit to PSU after the trials. Pyles read it as an imminent commitment which made people think when he didn't by now, he was cooling on PSU but it's possible they just meant that's where they think he's going rather than "he's going to soon"

Reactions: jsn4388
Yes yes and more yes!!! He is best prospect in my mind right now. It's not that I don't want the other two, welcome aboard, but to me he is the big fish!

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Sounds like we have good sourcing on the probable commitment, but this part doesn't make much sense. He didn't want Ryan to know, and Granny told Pile?

Either way, Ryan has to know by now.

Reactions: District four
Sounds like we have good sourcing on the probable commitment, but this part doesn't make much sense. He didn't want Ryan to know, and Granny told Pile?

Either way, Ryan has to know by now.

No one but marcus blaze knows. This has been the one of the most silent recruitments I've ever heard of. No one knows the favorite.

But it'll come down to these 3:

Michigan
tOSU
PSU.

Heard he doesn’t know how to tell them, plus while in HS wants full attention at the RTC. Can’t blame him there.

It’s 2024, you don’t need to call and break up with them,,,,,, Just post a nice Beau Bartlett madePSU graphic and they will get the point. Columbus could go into deep depression

Buchanan to Iowa for one semester 500K. They probably offered Blaze and Ross millions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT