ADVERTISEMENT

MBB @ Nebraska at 4:30

I don’t know a whole lot about basketball but we are not a good team. They look like a bunch of guy playing a pickup game. Poor coaching. Don’t deserve a bid.
Decourcy on BT Network calling out the crap coaching of not putting a bigger body on Tominaga or whatever the hell his name is.

We can be pretty frustrating to watch. No way we should be losing to Nebraska but here we are. Perhaps they get hot at the end or realize what is on the line and decide to defend.
Is PSU really that much better than Nebraska? Is it because they have a bunch of home wins against Big 10 teams? The Big 10 as a whole is a very mediocre conference, and PSU probably still is going to end up winning one conference road game. That tells you that they aren’t any good, and in that respect they’re a typical PSU basketball team. They’ll probably end up finishing ahead of only Minnesota and Nebraska.

Njie had 9 rebounds and fought hard but he still has no offense. 3 missed FTs were a killer.

Clary plays out of control. Maybe he'll get better.

D. Johnson is regressing. Wynter is over his head at this level.

Dread is dreadful.
I think the team is dreadful at this point, at least for sure we are dreadful on the road.

Serious question: Are we improving at all as a team or not? Part of the evaluation of Shrews needs to examine that.

I think the team is dreadful at this point, at least for sure we are dreadful on the road.

Serious question: Are we improving at all as a team or not? Part of the evaluation of Shrews needs to examine that.
No, they’re not. And they get to play a team at home in their next game that they couldn’t beat if that team only played with three players, and then they go back on the road again to lose to Maryland.

Is PSU really that much better than Nebraska? Is it because they have a bunch of home wins against Big 10 teams? The Big 10 as a whole is a very mediocre conference, and PSU probably still is going to end up winning one conference road game. That tells you that they aren’t any good, and in that respect they’re a typical PSU basketball team. They’ll probably end up finishing ahead of only Minnesota and Nebraska.
Looking like you are right unless this team can dig deep and turn things around. After watching that game it looks like Nebraska could beat us 6 or 7 times out of 10 in Lincoln. So I guess we ate not any better than they are.

Also what's the deal now with us letting some role guy have Steph Curry type shooting games contributing directly to us losing.

Njie is playing hard and has 9 rebounds but missed 3 critical FTs.

Nobody can keep up with Tominaga. It's not just that he's hot from 3. He has a non stop motor and made 7 2pt FGs, mostly on cuts to the basket.
I think Njie will be better next year after weight room work. The team will need him to take leap forward in his game on both ends. I like Mahaffey's hustle and expect him to improve next year, also needing more weight/strength. For this team to move up in the league they will have to get serious minutes from Lilley, the 6'10" 260 lb Freshman Center who has hardly played. I understand he was a project coming in but next year he must contribute meaningful minutes.
What is the story with 4 Star guard Jameel Brown (Freshman) ? He was recruited by some major programs but getting no PT.

Reactions: bdgan
Decourcy on BT Network calling out the crap coaching of not putting a bigger body on Tominaga or whatever the hell his name is.
And against Purdue that one guy that no one ever heard of was something 37 field goals on 22 attempts and yet we never adjusted and covered him.

As the Old Ball Coach said about the Vols "You can't spell Citrus without UT." just as you can't spell N. I. T. without Nittany.

Seth and Jalen gave it their all. Kebba fought but his 1-4 at the line came at an awful time.

Rest of squad didn't step up like #13 and 30 for Huskers....and then 10 clinched it. Our other role guys missed opportunities.

Nebraska deserves the W. We had our chance and didn't earn our shot.

No we aren't.

Njie played better today but missed 3 FTs. He might be good in 2 years. I think Shrews gave up on Henn too early. We needed a scorer.

Mahaffey and Clary aren't improving but they're freshmen.

D. Johnson & Dread are declining. Wynter isn't a P5 player.

We can complain about Funk but he was 5-9 and had 14 pts. Lundy is tough but he doesn't get the ball to the basket. Opponents are double teaming Pickett and making it difficult for him to penetrate. He needs help.

Reactions: bison13
The Big Ten isn’t even remotely “mediocore” this season…by pretty much any measure, it’s the second best conference in the country.

And we still won’t just as we “probably” end the year with one road win.

And yes, we are better than Nebraska…but they played harder than we did today.

No we aren't.

Njie played better today but missed 3 FTs. He might be good in 2 years. I think Shrews gave up on Henn too early. We needed a scorer.

We can complain about Funk but he was 5-9 and had 14 pts. Lundy is tough but he doesn't get the ball to the basket. Opponents are double teaming Pickett and making it difficult for him to penetrate. He needs help.
That’s the biggest frustration to me, we haven’t improved as a team at all. For the most part, it seems like every game we have two maybe three guys doing anything on offense. It’s almost always Pickett and one other guy (either Lundy or Funk….earlier in the season sometimes Dread), but we rarely get four or five guys clicking at the same time. When we have, we’ve usually won. You’re spot on with your analysis about the players and after almost an entire season we’re down to three guys that can produce. Johnson and Dread were bother better last year and Wynter does not help at all.

Just not a good enough job defensively today…way too many layups and open shots allowed (especially when we get so few easy baskets ourselves). We have to find a way to attack the basket and get to the line more…we’re historically bad at it this season.

Also don’t get why we went away from Henn and Dorsey so early…guess it was Njie’s work on the boards. Thought we needed another shooter as they were keeping Walker at home to help on Pickett and take away his post game. Then again, we played well enough offensively to win, and lost it at the defensive end.

Terrible loss. Any dancing just walked out the door. Playing for pride the rest of the season. Could be playing these guys again the first night of the BTT. Not that that game will even matter.
Definitely not true…need to go 5-3 the rest of the way, which certainly isn’t out of the question. Playing for a lot more than pride at this point.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Definitely not true…need to go 5-3 the rest of the way, which certainly isn’t out of the question. Playing for a lot more than pride at this point.
I think the problem he’s seeing is we only have 4 home games left so winning 5 more games seems out of the question.

Just not a good enough job defensively today…way too many layups and open shots allowed (especially when we get so few easy baskets ourselves). We have to find a way to attack the basket and get to the line more…we’re historically bad at it this season.

Also don’t get why we went away from Henn and Dorsey so early…guess it was Njie’s work on the boards. Thought we needed another shooter as they were keeping Walker at home to help on Pickett and take away his post game. Then again, we played well enough offensively to win, and lost it at the defensive end.
Defensively we either need to go to a zone or full court press. We can’t keep letting teams set up a half court offense with the full shot clock when we have no size. I would much rather see a team beat us from outside than kill us in the paint. But I also know that’s not going to happen, we’re going to keep seeing the same thing game after game.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Name the 5 wins you claim to see. Keeping in mind this team has 1 road win all year.

Name the 5 wins you claim to see. Keeping in mind this team has 1 road win all year.
And that road win was over an Illinois team that is better than 3 of the 4 games we have remaining on the road. At this point, every game left on the schedule is winnable, but also aren't any gimmies either (at Minnesota is our easiest game left, with a 77% win probability on Pomeroy).

We've got two games left that we'll clearly be favored in (Wisconsin and @Minnesota), so really need to get those two. Beyond that, we'll either be a small favorite or really small dog in 3 others (Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland), and have a good matchup at Northwestern where we'll be a couple of point dog.

As bad as today’s loss was, it really only means that they have to steal one from someone that they shouldn’t beat. Looking at the schedule that probably means beating Northwestern at their place. It also means holding court at home the rest of the way which won’t be easy.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
As bad as today’s loss was, it really only means that they have to steal one from someone that they shouldn’t beat. Looking at the schedule that probably means beating Northwestern at their place. It also means holding court at home the rest of the way which won’t be easy.
Holding court at home would likely mean we just need one road win, and Minnesota gives an even better opportunity than Northwestern. I like the path though of beating NW too, and dropping one of the remaining home games.

No we aren't.

Wynter and Dread no longer look like they belong on the floor on offense. Neither has any confidence. Johnson and Dorsey are ok on offense but not so much on defense. Mahaffey has hit a wall after playing very well for a couple weeks. It’s a real tough lineup game for coach right now with all of those things happening.

I love our BB threads. It’s just like the Rutgers football board. Frustration, anger, sorrow, blame, embarrassment, confusion but always the hope that next year will be better

Reactions: 84Lion and AvgUser
I love our BB threads. It’s just like the Rutgers football board. Frustration, anger, sorrow, blame, embarrassment, confusion but always the hope that next year will be better
Except with this team, I don’t think everyone believes that they will be better next year. There will have to be a couple of big pieces from the portal for next year’s team to be as good as this year’s.

Holding court at home would likely mean we just need one road win, and Minnesota gives an even better opportunity than Northwestern. I like the path though of beating NW too, and dropping one of the remaining home games.
I’m not quite as optimistic as you about only needing one road win if they win all the home games. Two reasons, first one is just a general putrid record on the road that the committee will see and second, knowing that somewhere along the line there’s going to be a bid stealer who wins a conference tournament that shouldn’t.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Northwestern just won at Wisconsin, so they now have won road games at MSU, IU and UW. This PSU team is not going to beat Northwestern on the road; don’t torture yourself thinking that that is going to happen. They probably won’t even win at Minnesota.

I’m not quite as optimistic as you about only needing one road win if they win all the home games. Two reasons, first one is just a general putrid record on the road that the committee will see and second, knowing that somewhere along the line there’s going to be a bid stealer who wins a conference tournament that shouldn’t.
I’d like our chances a lot if we head to Chicago at 19-12 (10-10). It would be a very “clean” profile in that we wouldn’t have any Q3/Q4 losses, and that 2-1 in Charleston helps the Road/Neutral record. The bubble is extremely weak this year, and they will have to come up with 36 teams from somewhere.

Northwestern just won at Wisconsin, so they now have won road games at MSU, IU and UW. This PSU team is not going to beat Northwestern on the road; don’t torture yourself thinking that that is going to happen. They probably won’t even win at Minnesota.
Northwestern isn’t nearly as good as you think they are (not to mention that they are a really good matchup for us)…and I guess Minnesota too if you really think we likely lose to them.

We’ll be a small underdog at NW; we’ll be strong favorites at Minnesota.

And that road win was over an Illinois team that is better than 3 of the 4 games we have remaining on the road. At this point, every game left on the schedule is winnable, but also aren't any gimmies either (at Minnesota is our easiest game left, with a 77% win probability on Pomeroy).

We've got two games left that we'll clearly be favored in (Wisconsin and @Minnesota), so really need to get those two. Beyond that, we'll either be a small favorite or really small dog in 3 others (Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland), and have a good matchup at Northwestern where we'll be a couple of point dog.
Unfortunately we’re just not a very good team on the road and we were playing better basketball back when we beat Illinois.

I’d like our chances a lot if we head to Chicago at 19-12 (10-10). It would be a very “clean” profile in that we wouldn’t have any Q3/Q4 losses, and that 2-1 in Charleston helps the Road/Neutral record. The bubble is extremely weak this year, and they will have to come up with 36 teams from somewhere.
I think they need to win 3 of the next 4. Rutgers at home will be the toughest game left in my opinion but do think that other than Minnesota, northwestern and Maryland and winnable on the road.

Watching our "oldest lineup in NCAA" made me think of the relative advantage that was supposed to bring. The experience hasn't made the huge difference I had hoped.

It's almost like the BYU teams running with guys returning from their Missions. Age brings maturity both on and off the court. It should translate to precision- which it generally has statistically for us. But we haven't closed well in the clutch...which has been our undoing.

The mix of raw youth (Evan, Kebba, Kanye) and transfers who haven't made the leap ( Henn, Wynter) with middling leftovers from Pat (Dorsey, Johnson) along with the enigma of Funk (defensively he was burned frequently today/ missed 2 big 3s when we were challlening) results in a fun but frustrating team to watch.

Maybe we respond and make the NCAAs...but today was a letdown/ reality check at the same time. Our talent just isn't there.

Reactions: bison13
Njie had 9 rebounds and fought hard but he still has no offense. 3 missed FTs were a killer.

Clary plays out of control. Maybe he'll get better.

D. Johnson is regressing. Wynter is over his head at this level.

Dread is dreadful.
What a sorry game. A couple of the UN players looked like they got picked up from a park game.

Yes, Clary is not disciplined enough as of yet to enter a B10 game that is not already won,

And yes Wynter plays like he believes I'm out there on defense, trying to force passes through when there is not opening to pass through.

And yep Njie has potential and plays hard. But the first thing he needs to work on on offense is a man's dunk next to the rim. He's big enough and strong enough to dunk on anyone that was out on the court tonight, yet he either plays it into a miss or passes it out when he is a point blank range. Just give him the ball in practice next to the rim and put a couple defenders on him and tell him to go up hard with two hands for a dunk. With enough force to knock the defender's arms off if they want to get in the way. And do it over 100 times a day. Every day. Until it comes second nature. He's got to believe that its easier to score when he is closest to the bucket. And then he can work from there to 2 feet away and so on.

Worst game I've seen this season, most of which is because PSU has much better players than UN but got not much to show for it today.

NCAA consideration is a memory IMHO.

Next year will be better? No Pickett, Funk, Lundy, Dread, Wynter. Our seniors will be Johnson & Dorsey. We're going to need at least 2 impact players from the transfer portal.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Next year will be better? No Pickett, Funk, Lundy, Dread, Wynter. Our seniors will be Johnson & Dorsey. We're going to need at least 2 impact players from the transfer portal.
Lundy does still have another year if he wants to use it.

Where are 5 wins coming from? Maybe, maybe Minny on the road and that is it for a road win. After that Wisky could be a W at home or should be. Possibly MD at home. Certain losses the way we look, NW on the road, O$U on the road (yeah I know they have lost like 6 in a row but will look like an NBA team against us when at home). MD on the road and Rutgers at home looks like losses. Illinois is a toss up at home. Give it to us. That would be 4-4, winning two toss ups, at Minny and vs Illini. 5-3 is very generous and says we get one more like beating Rutgers at home or O$U on the road. I hope I'm wrong but I keep expecting this team to put a complete game together on the road since Illinois two months ago and it has not happened.

Lundy does still have another year if he wants to use it.
i'll be surprised if he uses a 5th year at ps. i wouldn't be surprised if he looked for a place where he could get to the tourney at least one time. wouldn't blame him if he did.

ADVERTISEMENT