ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs Purdue

bdgan

May 29, 2008
ESPN gives us a 25% chance.

Early concern is that Pickett can't get the ball to the basket. That's where he scores or kicks out to the shooters.

Last edited:
Purdue pounding it inside as expected….9-5 Purdue at the first TV timeout.

Pickett on fire…11 points and PSU up 25-21 with 5:39 left in the half.

Pickett is amazing! Purdue has totally taken away his ability to get into the paint but he just finds a way.

Even so it's brutal trying to cover Edey.

Last edited:
37-31 PSU up at the half. Pickett with 18 points.
Edey 7-12 with 8 rebounds in the first half.

Pickett 7-11, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.

The only success we've had against Edey has been when we double team him and that leaves perimeter shooters open.

IMO the only way PSU can win this game is if Funk hits 3-4 3s in the second half. The problem is Pickett can't get into the paint and kick it back out.

Mahaffey & Lundy are also going to have to come up big.

Reactions: AWS1022
I'm sitting in the lower corner where Purdue will be shooting in 2nd half. Electric atmosphere. If every PSU basketball game was half as amped we'd be a perennial top 25 team.

Palestra is a sweatbox...just went outside to get air and take off my undershirt.

Jalen is playing great....some lucky stuff went in. #3 has no role on offense and is a liability in our sets. Nobody covers him.

Mahaffey provided great boost. Should be an exciting 2nd half!

Let's Go State!

Reactions: bdgan
Dread, Nije and others are nothing burgers on offense....it can't just be Pickett for this team to make the tournament. Funk has to be hot most games for us to have a chance....really tough to win when 1 guy has to carry us and there is zero offense from inside the arc

Certainly not the start to the second half we wanted to see…50-42 Purdue.

Purdue is pressuring Pickett bringing up the ball to tire him out. Somebody else has to get it over half court so he doesn't have to work that hard.

Njie is getting killed. Mahaffey is a better choice.

PSU defenders can't let Edey get down low. They have to put a body on him before he gets there. Can't fall for the pick and roll.

Last edited:
This one is getting away quickly…54-44. Can’t stop Edey.

This one is getting away quickly…54-44. Can’t stop Edey.
It goes beyond Edey...u cant be 5 on 3 when we are on offense... Penn state has too many nothing Burger nights from a handful of guys that you just cannot afford when you are a fringe tournament team… it's the same story most years where 1 or 2 guys have to carry you

It goes beyond Edey...u cant be 5 on 3 when we are on offense... Penn state has too many nothing Burger nights from a handful of guys that you just cannot afford when you are a fringe tournament team… it's the same story most years where 1 or 2 guys have to carry you
And let’s not forget Purdue is a better team with more talent. But when the other team has a 7’4 guy who has 28 points in a 12 point game, that’s pretty much the difference.

And let’s not forget Purdue is a better team with more talent. But when the other team has a 7’4 guy who has 28 points in a 12 point game, that’s pretty much the difference.
Many teams in the B1G have more collective talent...still very disappointing with so many duds tonight from the players around Pickett. And to me the bigger difference is funk, dread, and everybody else except Pickett who has brought nothing on the offensive end which would minimize Zack's impact. Jalen is easily one of the best players to ever play at psu, and if we can't make the tournament during his time yr...it might be a loooong wait.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Wrestling at home vs Michigan on the 20th! Let's stick to the sports we are good at.

Many teams in the B1G have more collective talent...still very disappointing with so many duds tonight from the players around Pickett. And to me the bigger difference is funk, dread, and everybody else except Pickett who has brought nothing on the offensive end which would minimize Zack's impact
Well, Purdue only has four guys that have scored so they must have a bunch of duds too.

It's almost impossible but I'm disappointed in the effort. He screens and we try to stop the ball instead of stopping Edey.
Might want to try a zone or a press. Something different.

Should not be blown out 34-13 in 2nd half like this. Purdue is a good team and better than us but this should not happen especially with a big home crowd supporting you. Disappointing to see them not put up a fight this half.

Reactions: scrivener
Should not be blown out 34-13 in 2nd half like this. Purdue is a good team and better than us but this should not happen especially with a big home crowd supporting you. Disappointing to see them not put up a fight this half.
1000% agreed but some posters who frequent this board just simply look at while we have less talent... just be glad they're playing hard and let's make the NIT… the standard of apathy needs to evaporate quickly out of our fan base. The B1G Annually averages what maybe 7 to 8 teams to make the tournament… so all you have to do is be middle of the pack to make the dance that's all many are asking... just be middle of the road in the conference and Penn state will be dancing most years… it should not be that difficult... Obviously the season has a long way to go and we should ratchet more wins but if this season doesn't result in a tournament it will be extremely disappointing

u cant be 5 on 3 when we are on offense... Penn state has too many nothing Burger nights from a handful of guys that you just cannot afford when you are a fringe tournament team
Dread & Funk are good spot up shooters but they can't create their own shots. It's not as simple as they aren't shooting well. They aren't getting good looks. They need somebody else (Pickett) to create those looks for them.

It also doesn't help that Dread has been asked to guard Edey. That takes every ounce of energy that hurts his offense.

Reactions: bison13
Dread & Funk are good spot up shooters but they can't create their own shots. It's not as simple as they aren't shooting well. They aren't getting good looks. They need somebody else (Pickett) to create those looks for them.

It also doesn't help that Dread has been asked to guard Edey. That takes every ounce of energy that hurts his offense.
I agree with you that somebody else besides Pickett has to create and give them better open shots… but dread and funk over the last couple of weeks have been pretty cold and have missed wide open looks that Penn state needs them to hit… when you have one job and it's really the only thing you do above average you need to come through more times than not unfortunately

1000% agreed but some posters who frequent this board just simply look at while we have less talent... just be glad they're playing hard and let's make the NIT… the standard of apathy needs to evaporate quickly out of our fan base. The B1G Annually averages what maybe 7 to 8 teams to make the tournament… so all you have to do is be middle of the pack to make the dance that's all many are asking... just be middle of the road in the conference and Penn state will be dancing most years… it should not be that difficult... Obviously the season has a long way to go and we should ratchet more wins but if this season doesn't result in a tournament it will be extremely disappointing
I don’t think any poster on here would be happy with an NIT bid this year…we just happen to have a really tough stretch right now in our schedule. Michigan on the road, Purdue, Indiana then Wisconsin. That’s a tough four games in a row.

Pickett and Lundy are the only two PSU players who can score on their own. It is what it is.

Njie might be good in 2 years but he's not ready to play at this level.

Purdue is the first team that stopped Pickett from backing his defender into the paint. Credit to them.

My biggest disappointment is how easily PSU allowed PUR to run screen roll in the second half. You have to keep a body on him and not let him get low.

Anybody see the way Shrewsbury blew off Painter during the after-game handshake? Given he was on the Purdue staff, that was classless. Maybe he needs to stop stuffing his fat face and learn some manners.

Pickett and Lundy are the only two PSU players who can score on their own. It is what it is.

Njie might be good in 2 years but he's not ready to play at this level.

My biggest disappointment is how easily PSU allowed PUR to run screen roll in the second half. You have to keep a body on him and not let him get low.
Good point...and no press or half court traps to slow Purdue down...not much switching or doubling on Zack...frustrating game all around.

You can't lose by 15 at home. I don't care if Purdue is top 5. It is difficult to win on the road in the B10 and we made that way too easy for Purdue in the 2nd half. They clearly made half time adjustments and we had no answer.

We should be able to win half our B10 games finish somewhere between 6th and 8th in the conference and make the Dance. Having my doubts though we can do that. I still have a lit of confidence in coach Shrews and believe he was a great hire. Moving forward want to see us more competitive competitive at least at home against the best of the B10.

Reactions: scrivener
I don’t think any poster on here would be happy with an NIT bid this year…we just happen to have a really tough stretch right now in our schedule. Michigan on the road, Purdue, Indiana then Wisconsin. That’s a tough four games in a row.
Most of the B1G is tough....but yes, this stretch is very difficult. No easy nights in this conference.

You can't lose by 15 at home. I don't care if Purdue is top 5. It is difficult to win on the road in the B10 and we made that way too easy for Purdue in the 2nd half. They clearly made half time adjustments and we had no answer.

We should be able to win half our B10 games finish somewhere between 6th and 8th in the conference and make the Dance. Having my doubts though we can do that. I still have a lit of confidence in coach Shrews and believe he was a great hire. Moving forward want to see us more competitive competitive at least at home against the best of the B10.
Wasn’t really a home game…I get all the hype about the Palestra, but I’m not a big fan of giving up a true home game.

Anybody see the way Shrewsbury blew off Painter during the after-game handshake? Given he was on the Purdue staff, that was classless. Maybe he needs to stop stuffing his fat face and learn some manners.
Maybe Painter said or did something that pissed him off….or maybe he was still pissed about the officiating. Hard to judge when you don’t know what happened. And speaking of classless, read your post.

Wasn’t really a home game…I get all the hype about the Palestra, but I’m not a big fan of giving up a true home game.
They had more of a raucous home crowd than playing at the BJC...it was a home game.

Reactions: doctornick

This team isn’t going to make the NCAA Tournament and probably not even the NIT. They’ve already lost two out of three Big 10 home games and came very close to losing the one that they won. If you can’t win your home games, you have no chance because they’re going to lose almost all of the road games, and you can take that to the bank.

This will be a typical PSU hoops season in which they have to play on opening day of the Big 10 Tournament, maybe beat another bottom feeder, then lose on day two and go home for the Spring. Cue Croby, Stills and Nash singing Deja Vu.

Maybe Painter said or did something that pissed him off….or maybe he was still pissed about the officiating. Hard to judge when you don’t know what happened. And speaking of classless, read your post.
Pissed off or not, you don't treat the guy that way who gave you a job which was a springboard to a HC gig. Totally bush!

They had more of a raucous home crowd than playing at the BJC...it was a home game.
Crowd is only part of home court advantage….shooting on rims you know on a court you know well is the major advantage. They gave that up so it’s wasn’t a true home game. Playing at home is more of an advantage in basketball than any other sport in my opinion because of the familiarity of the rims.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT