ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs Syracuse Game Thread

34-27 PSU at the half. I know I’ll get jumped for being negative, but I don’t think the second half looks good for us...Syracuse is shooting much better than they were early in the game, and their zone is confusing us.
Glad I was wrong on this one. Great second half.

Reactions: psuguy43 and Ski
At no time in the history of penn state athletics have I wanted to beat a coach more. Go State!

Take that Boeheim you miserable bastard. You're an assh@le for saying what you said about psu hoops in the b10. Nice to finally pay your overrated ass back after all these years. You couldn't hold JVPs jock.

Last edited:
Lundy really stepping up this second half.

Watkins is so close to being a truly great player, still inconsistent offensively but it is fun watching him just completely own Syracuse down low.

Reactions: FightOnState
That's a very good win. The next four games are Wake Forest (H), tOSU (A), Maryland (H) and Alabama (H). Predictions for the W/L record in those games? I'll say 3-1. Going optimistic!

Definitely takes away some of the bad taste of the Ole Miss collapse.
But Syracuse is pretty bad this season.

Wake is not good this year... I can't see a loss at home in that one. 2-2 is the safe bet.
Actually, Wake has not been good for the last few years, but they are improved this year. Senior guard Brandon Childress is playing well and they have some size and talent inside.

Actually, Wake has not been good for the last few years, but they are improved this year. Senior guard Brandon Childress is playing well and they have some size and talent inside.
Wake lost to Boston College (4-3) and Charlotte (2-3).

It's November 30th, we don't know that yet. Maybe Penn State is pretty good? Why does it always seem people want to say the other guys suck when we beat them?
It's been that way for YEARS with our fans and this program.

But.. it did look like Syracuse basically sucks.

It's November 30th, we don't know that yet. Maybe Penn State is pretty good? Why does it always seem people want to say the other guys suck when we beat them?
Syracuse sucks. They have no inside game at all. PSU outrebounded Syracuse 56-30 with Stevens on the bench for 13 minutes.

PSU can be a good team if Stevens stays out of foul trouble. Wheeler is a pesky defender but he can be a liability on offense because he has no perimeter shot. That's why we need Stevens to keep himself in the game.

Syracuse sucks. They have no inside game at all. PSU outrebounded Syracuse 56-30 with Stevens on the bench for 13 minutes.

PSU can be a good team if Stevens stays out of foul trouble. Wheeler is a pesky defender but he can be a liability on offense because he has no perimeter shot. That's why we need Stevens to keep himself in the game.

Wheeler has no shot whatsoever. It's not just the perimeter. He is a very good defender, though.

The reason I think we are going to the tournament is Mike Watkins. He is dominating games and I think there are very few centers who will be able to shut him down.

Reactions: bdgan
Wheeler has no shot whatsoever. It's not just the perimeter. He is a very good defender, though.

The reason I think we are going to the tournament is Mike Watkins. He is dominating games and I think there are very few centers who will be able to shut him down.
Wheeler has been making layups this year. His FT shooting is even improved (50%). Today Syracuse sagged and dared him to shoot. That's not good.

Watkins is certainly dominant with blocked shots and rebounds. He's running the floor pretty well too. I'm not sure what you mean about other centers being able to shut him down. Mike scores most of his points on dunks/layups, mostly in transition. That's why he normally shoots a very high percentage. Today Syracuse extended the defense once Stevens went out and PSU tried to lob the ball over the top to Watkins. That worked a couple of times but Mike also lost the handle several times. He was only 5-13 from the field.

The announcers were saying how bad Syracuse was / is.

Reactions: bdgan

For the first time in forever we have enough shooters where Wheeler’s offensive ability should not hurt us. Jones, both of them, Dread and Lundy can all shoot. With the floor spread Wheeler can get to the hoop enough to score 10 every night which, with not turning the ball over and playing plus defense, makes Wheeler valuable. I want to see Chambers string together a few solidly coached games before I get too nuts, but this team is good enough athletically to hang with most anyone. Chambers has done a fantastic recruiting job bringing in athletes. This is most certainly not a great Syracuse team, but it was like a dream watching how much more athletic we are then Syracuse. Anyone who says they envisioned that when Chambers was hired is lying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT